Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Santa Ynez title=
Photo by John Palminteri / KEYT News

Update by edhat staff
June 25, 2021

The Santa Barbara County Sheriff Coroner's Bureau has released the name of the victim from the motorcycle collision in Santa Ynez on Thursday.

The decedent is 70-year-old Frank Butcher of Santa Barbara.

Update by edhat staff
June 24, 2021

A motorcyclist has died following a collision with a vehicle in Santa Ynez on Thursday morning.

At 10:48 a.m., Santa Barbara County Firefighters, AMR ground ambulance, and a Calstar helicopter responded to the 4800 block of Baseline Road for a collision.

Upon arrival, crews found a single motorcyclist, a male approximately in his 60s, suffering from cardiac arrest. Paramedics attempted to resuscitate the rider but he succumbed to his injuries.

The cause of the collision is under investigation and traffic restrictions are in place in the area.

By Roger the Scanner Guy
11:01 a.m., June 24, 2021

Vehicle vs Motorcyclist 4800 Block of Baseline in Buellton.

AQUAHOLIC Jun 26, 2021 12:39 PM
Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Santa Ynez

I ride my little Moto as if every car is going to kill me, and they certainly could. I trust no one on the road, drive the speed limit, watch the occupant of every car that is crossing my path, or me it... I focus on collision avoidance at all times. Sadly, even this hyper-vigilance is sometime not enough.
Godspeed sir.

Oldwave Jun 26, 2021 10:16 AM
Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Santa Ynez

Unfortunately it’s a matter of when and not if. And when an accident happens, no matter how small, there will be an injury. Not pointing fingers at anybody but just saying’. RIP

doulie Jun 25, 2021 09:43 AM
Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Santa Ynez

Looking at photos of the area off the internet it appears the driveway is off to the left of the drivers side by several feet. The car, as pictured, is now facing towards a small swale, not the driveway. The point of impact on the road is on the right side of the mailbox (where numbers are attached), even further away from the driveway. Any guesses on how this occurred?

tagdes Jun 25, 2021 10:52 AM
Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Santa Ynez

As Coast watch already said...driver turning left into D/W. The car is exactly into their aggregate composition D/W and that is not a swale at all. Look at Google earth, same o just a few trees since 2012.

SB_TAHOE Jun 25, 2021 08:38 AM
Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Santa Ynez

Motorcyclist weighing in…if everyone could please at least use their turn signals, it would give us bikers a fighting chance. The car drivers always say the same things: I didn’t see the motorcycle, the motorcycle was speeding, etc. To be honest sometimes the motorcycle is speeding, or driving recklessly. That is not the case this time. And the car that caused the accident may have used their signal, I don’t know. But in general us bikers are constantly scanning what’s ahead of us looking for a potential problem and when car drivers use their turn signals we can then ride defensively, slow down, be more wary. Using our signals is a simple, easy and considerate thing to do that may save lives.

a-1624832055 Jun 27, 2021 03:14 PM
Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Santa Ynez

It's interesting for sure, but quite clearly an effect seen with planes, not motorcycles. Those motorcycle studies provide statistically significant results, not just a discussion of phenomena. You can believe whatever you want, I choose to go with the data. To me, you are the one with the closed mind, but I don't think we are going to convince each other at this point. No worries.

Sail380 Jun 27, 2021 02:34 PM
Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Santa Ynez

I did read your link. Look up the “ Yedudi effect” For you to ignore other possible contributing factors, shows a closed mind.

a-1624827000 Jun 27, 2021 01:50 PM
Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Santa Ynez

Ok SAIL. Did you even open the link provided to you? Guess what, it's full of science about actual motorcycles, not the pseudoscience hypothesis you are peddling. The only person denying science here is you.

Sail380 Jun 27, 2021 11:17 AM
Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Santa Ynez

Hey 10:19 we all know a motorcycle is not an airplane. The science is that an oncoming object can be hidden by using light. It was used on airplanes and ships until radar was developed, eliminating the need for visual detection. Anyway, I have always thought phenomena was a contributor in some accidents. But you don’t need to believe the science!!!

Sail380 Jun 27, 2021 11:11 AM

JB86 Jun 25, 2021 05:11 PM
Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Santa Ynez

Datadan: This is true and known as the parallax view problem. Same reason people get hit by trains; same reason why animals with better senses than humans get whacked by vehicles

DataDan Jun 25, 2021 04:00 PM
Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Santa Ynez

One reason they don't see us is that a motorcycle moving straight toward an observer is stationary in the visual field, and it doesn't grow in apparent size until it is very close. So a driver who isn't paying close attention may misjudge speed. For a tactic to help overcome this effect see a video called "Crash course the SMIDSY" (Brit speak for "Sorry mate, I didn't see you."). Google should return it as first result.

a-1624661174 Jun 25, 2021 03:46 PM
Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Santa Ynez

SAIL380, here you go, this paper summarizes a bunch of studies, overall indicating a 4 to 20% decrease in crash risk when headlight(s) are used in the daytime. I don't think any studies they looked concluded an increase or same crash risk. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4771245/

OpossumBoy Jun 25, 2021 03:27 PM
Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Santa Ynez

The reality is that car drivers simply don’t look, or they’re distracted, busy in a phone conversation. When I’m on my bike, I watch the car driver and which way their head is turned as a clue to which way they’re going. When I was young and living in Tucson, I was on a four lane road and passing a guy that was slowing down, in the right lane, signaling for a right turn. He suddenly turned left just as I was passing him. The collision totally bent my forks back and I flew clean over the car!

About 20 years ago, when I was driving for MTD, I was at a stop on upper Chapala picking up passengers when some fool plowed into the back of the bus. It’s amazing how many people don’t pay attention while behind the wheel.

Sail380 Jun 25, 2021 03:14 PM
Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Santa Ynez

I didn't see them is a common statement. I have always wondered if the headlight acts a form of passive camouflage? Light's were used to hide ships and aircraft before radar advanced.

JB86 Jun 25, 2021 01:02 AM
Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Santa Ynez

This was the third MC fatality in a week; KEYT said there have been 4 in the past month in the county. Bad and sad. Some caused by reckless MC operator, but some also by '4-wheelers' not paying close enough attention. The latter is something we can do can do something about.

DataDan Jun 25, 2021 04:39 PM
Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Santa Ynez

[Sorry about the duplicate posts. I'm new here and don't know how to delete them.]

In addition to the four known fatal crashes in the past month, there is a Lompoc rider who has been missing since May 24, apparently in Santa Barbara County. Report here in the Lompoc Record: https://lompocrecord.com/news/local/officials-update-motorcycle-description-for-lompoc-man-reported-missing/article_2b5a4345-fae9-53f2-9fb3-bad2f8d65647.html

Has anyone heard further news about him?

DataDan Jun 25, 2021 03:46 PM
Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Santa Ynez

Memorial Day on that long exit road from SB 101 to Los Alamos and SR-135: Driver made a U-turn from the SB shoulder into the path of SB motorcycle.

A few days ago on SR-154 closer to Santa Barbara than to Santa Ynez: Solo motorcycle ran wide in curve, hit guardrail.

Also a few days ago near the entrance to Mission La Purisima: Driver made left turn from stop sign across the path of motorcycle with no stop sign.

I'm not sure, but I think there were only 3 fatal motorcycle crashes in SB County in all of 2020.

RIP, all.

CoastWatch Jun 24, 2021 09:56 PM
Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Santa Ynez

ANOTHER errant car driver turning left in front of a motorcycle…. The accident was NOT in Buellton, it was in Santa Ynez. RIP Beemer Rider, I hope your family sues with a strong lawyer.