By Roger the Scanner Guy

Dog attack in Ventura County. A 2nd ambulance was requested. The first report was a man on the ground being attacked by a dog thought I heard Pit Bull but not a hundred percent sure. Neighbors were hitting the dog with shovels...

Roger Jun 18, 2021 09:11 AM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

At Alelia Ave. and Nardo Streets in Saticoy, Animal Control requested and Responding.

d8vanilla Jun 18, 2021 11:29 AM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

Yikes !!!! Dog attacks are NOT a good thing. Dog will probably be euthanized , and the person that got attacked might have scars , physical & emotional..... horrible

sacjon Jun 18, 2021 01:38 PM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

WATCHER - without any context, you want to kill the dog. Wow. You ever see a dog protect its owner? You never know what the situation is. Maybe this dog deserves a medal. I bet you hate that it's a "pit bull," eh?

hz Jun 18, 2021 12:02 PM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

the owner{s} also need to be held responsible..as in attack or assault with a deadly weapon...!

d8vanilla Jun 18, 2021 12:50 PM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

Or send the dog up to Cesar Millan and get the doggie trained properly.

Minibeast Jun 18, 2021 12:53 PM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

It has been my experience that hitting a dog or otherwise "attacking" it while it is biting another dog will only make the situation worse. Too bad no-one had pepper spray or pepper gel handy.

d8vanilla Jun 18, 2021 01:18 PM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

The easy technique that I've used, is to grab hold of the dogs back legs/ paws and lift up as high as you can. The dog will let go of whatever it's attacking, and usually fall over. But, don't let go till the dog is under control. Even grabbingt ONE back leg / or paw will work. The times I've used this technique, the dog is kinda freaked out, and runs off.... !!!!

d8vanilla Jun 18, 2021 01:21 PM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

One other method..... let the dog grab hold of your forearm , then with your other hand, put the free hand behind the dogs neck/ head, then with the hand that the dog is biting, lift up hard..... might break the dogs neck..... Hope I'm describing it clearly.... I think a person would need some good strength to use this method.

a-1624170873 Jun 19, 2021 11:34 PM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

Good luck to anyone who offers to be bit during a dog fight or attack!
Honestly, just don't do it. I'm editing my opinion on this technique. It's not a technique ever recommended by any one or any group who specializes in dog behavior.

3P14159 Jun 18, 2021 04:02 PM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

i recently stopped running after 40 years. During that time, I encountered many loose dogs. If the dog appears to be aggressive, observe whether or not he displays a snarl showing the eye teeth. If not, the dog probably isn't intent on biting, if so - then the problem is more serious. In the former case, I always simply made myself small and reached out to the dog. It usually resulted in a waggy tail and a belly rub. In the second case, the dog was leading a roving pack. I spoke to the pack as if they were bad little children. The alpha wasn't happy but he went along with the program once the other dogs softened up. The situations run the gamut and each one was different. I never got bit - and I ran at least 4 of 7 days a week for 40 years. Good luck and OBSERVE ! Do not escalate the situation !

SBSand Jun 18, 2021 04:45 PM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

Lots of unknown here, but it sounds really scary! I hope that all, including the dog, end up ok. It would be great if we had the opportunity to know the circumstances, to learn from it and teach our kids to avoid this type of situation. We likely won't hear anything more, as is often the case with things like this.

a-1624172686 Jun 20, 2021 12:04 AM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

This incident should not be the one that educates people and their kids on how to interact with dogs!

Here are recent stats:

In 1994, the most recent year for which published data are available, an estimated 4.7 million dog bites occurred in the United States, and approximately 799,700 persons required medical care. Of an estimated 333,700 patients treated for dog bites in emergency departments (EDs) in 1994, approximately 6,000 (1.8%) were hospitalized. To estimate the number of nonfatal dog bite--related injuries treated in U.S. hospital EDs, CDC analyzed data from the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System-All Injury Program (NEISS-AIP). This report summarizes the results of the analysis, which indicate that in 2001, an estimated 368,245 persons were treated in U.S. hospital EDs for nonfatal dog bite--related injuries. Injury rates were highest among children aged 5--9 years. To reduce the number of dog bite--related injuries, adults and children should be educated about bite prevention, and persons with canine pets should practice responsible pet ownership.

SB Humane Society and Care4Paws have educational programs for kids on how to interact with dogs; they go into classrooms and have classes at their site. Thank goodness these will be coming back.

absolutetrygve Jun 19, 2021 07:09 AM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

Sometimes, in India particularly, I encountered dog packs at night. Always carry a little food, like a piece of bread, if you don't have treats. But a single aggressive dog...? Make sure you test for rabies if it's not obviously an abused fighting dog. Also, maybe have the dog tested for amphetamines, if there's no other obvious reason. It's a bad situation for all, we cannot spring to judgements without facts.

Stray Jun 19, 2021 09:17 AM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

I will summarize all threads of what response to take in a dog attack:
1. Give treats to attacking dog and/or attacking dog's owner.
2. Pick up at least one leg of attacking dog and/or owner.
3. Test attacking dog and/or owner for methamphetamines.
Next problem?

a-1624171149 Jun 19, 2021 11:39 PM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

Making sure you test for rabies can only be accomplished if you have access to the dead dog's brain tissue.
"...only the head or brain (including brain stem) should be submitted to the laboratory. Fresh frozen (unfixed) tissues are preferred for rabies diagnosis. Refrigerated samples are not preferred and should be used only as a last resort when shipping on dry ice is not possible."

I looked at Ventura Star for news of this attack yesterday and today and found nothing.

x01660 Jun 19, 2021 03:14 PM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

So its something that I've always wondered about on my walks to work (past a house with loud pitbulls and poodles); if I were attacked by a dog while walking, would I suffer repercussions if I stabbed it to death (always carry a pocket knife) and/or snapped its neck? I'm not psychotic, but if I'm being attacked, I'm probably not thinking about a simple disabling attack. And what would YOU do in that situation?

Minibeast Jun 19, 2021 05:19 PM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

X01660. Unless you're carrying your pocketknife always at the ready, in your hand, unfolded/flipped open , I would say a serious "repercussion" might be you getting badly mauled while fumbling to open your knife or retrieve it from your pocket/purse/daypack. Additionally, carrying an open blade might not be the best policy (others may perceive it as a threat).--------Just buy a $12 small canister of pepper gel and carry it, unlocked and unnoticeable in your hand. If and when a dog actually lunges at you, you then spray the dog. You may experience some blowback from the gel, but at least you won't need to wash blood out of your clothes and suffer rending of your flesh, possible hospitalization and the incumbent stitches. -------As for snapping a dog's neck: If that dog running at you is really intent on mauling you, unless you're Chuck Norris, Jet Li or Ip Man, you're not going to have the reflexes or finesse to snap anything--------Or are we talking Chihuahua or some other tiny breed? Why put yourself at even the slightest risk? Pepper gel.

PitMix Jun 21, 2021 12:29 PM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

Mini, we talked about pepper spray a while back. It is unlikely that you would have the can out and the safety off and be able to use it before you were bitten. And if a dog is truly in full attack mode, it might be able to ignore it to continue biting.
It is unusual for a dog to go after a human. The incidents I know of are about a dog going after another dog and the human trying to intervene and getting bitten.

PitMix Jun 21, 2021 12:33 PM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

In the one incident I was part of, kicking the dog pretty hard in the stomach got it to release. Not trying to make a 60 yd field goal, but pretty firm kicks. Multiple but not more than 10. Maybe 4 but it is hard to remember exactly what happened during traumatic incidents like that.

Babycakes Jun 21, 2021 12:46 PM
Dog Attack in Ventura County

I grew up and spent a lot of time over the years in "dog country" ....farms, ranches, and rural communities. Nearly everyone had a dog, and most of those folks had multiple dog (2, 3, 5...). One problem that they did not have in those communities were dog attacks. If any dog nipped/bit/snarled for any reason whatsoever, that dog was dispatched that day, and often within minutes. If you did not do this voluntarily, the neighbors would have a "discussion" with you. If you refused to take care of the problem, well it was taken care of for you. Sad in some cases, but in true dog country you simply cannot have animals that are biting people. Sounds harsh, but that's the reality.