By Roger the Scanner Guy

A gun incident took place earlier today in the first block of E. Montecito Street involving a business owner and a transient

I got an eyewitness account from the business owner who stopped by this evening and told me what happened. He tells me that he has a lot of problems with the homeless. Every day they enter his business and shoplift. They steal things off his property and use them in their camps and they use the bushes around the business as their bathroom. Mark, the owner of the business, has had problems there for many years.

Today the problems almost became deadly as he had to pull out a firearm to protect himself. The transient was yelling in front of the business, Santa Barbara Koi in the first block of East Montecito Street. Mark went outside to ask the male to quiet down. The subject yelled that the business was his property and told Mark to leave as he walked toward the door holding a large rock over his head, he kept yelling "This is my property!" Mark grabbed a nearby baseball bat for protection and the subject kept coming so Mark got his gun which was fully loaded and aimed it at the subject who was now yelling "I'm going to kill you!" and still coming at Mark with the rock over his head.

By this time Mark called 911, and was telling the dispatcher what was happening, Santa Barbara P.D. was responding Code 3 (lights and sirens) to the incident. They knew the business owner was armed and pointing a loaded firearm at the aggressor, there was no time to waste and they got there quick as usual when there is an emergency.

The transient heard the sirens, dropped the rock and left the scene. Mark had been asked to put the gun away and did so only after the subject had left. The suspect was taken into custody without incident, about a block away. He was arrested for 422pc Criminal Threats, and Assault with a Deadly Weapon 245pc of the California State Penal Code.

Mark is grateful the police responded quickly and he did not have to kill a man today, he only wants to know one thing,"What the Mayor and City Council is going to do to protect the citizens of our fine city from these Criminals?"

Rypert Johnson Jun 11, 2021 11:45 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

ELDERSWIMMER, don't forget the fact that Homeless Inc. has made them a protected species, so any and all prosecution is either discouraged or just ignored.

JB86 Jun 10, 2021 07:55 PM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

This aggression is becoming more common - and I don't know why. I see it in Goleta as well, homeless assaulting verbally and threatening citizens. What changed? I don't get it, but am sure it leads to worse outcomes. Very bad when citizens have to arm themselves out of mortal fear.

horsegirl Jun 10, 2021 10:35 PM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

Yes. If someone is threatening another’s life with a deadly weapon (which a large concrete block definitely is), they have a right to guarantee their own safety and keep that person at bay.

Seabird Jun 11, 2021 07:12 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

@Getoffmylawn, yes. Mark was being assaulted and feared for his life. Do you know what the legal definition of assault is? Look it up. This guy stated he was going to kill Mark SEVEN TIMES. What would you rather he have done - said, "Wait a sec, while I go find my own 7.5lb piece of concrete?" That's not how it works, kid, and any judge would have used the letter of the law to absolve Mark of any wrongdoing. I am so glad it didn't come to that... although Mark would have been within his rights, taking a life is a heavy burden to carry for normal people.

Voice of Reason Jun 11, 2021 10:17 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

Comment of the day ABean! Jokes aside, that isn't far off from how many of the anti-firearm / defund the police crowd think these type of situations should be handled.

Byzantium Jun 10, 2021 08:33 PM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

City council now calls vagrants our "houseless neighbors" and we must treat them with dignity. How about turnabout is fair play is the best way to treat their chronic abuse of our "housed neighbors" (aka the tax payer residents)? No wonder this city council is keen on turning everything into one-way streets because that is what they demand we do for the vagrants - give them everything and ask for nothing from them in return .No wonder civic life has gone down hill these past few decades. Living in any community is always a two-way street.

ChemicalSuperFreak Jun 10, 2021 08:46 PM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

This is disgusting. These people are not from our county, not the result of increased housing prices, and not victims of anything I can think of that can be solved from existing government programs. These people love this way of life and do not want help. This will continue until it pervades every neighborhood and affect every person in our community. I don't think we're there yet, but we will be soon, and then there will be a change.

Byzantium Jun 11, 2021 08:45 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

Social workers from Homeless Inc explained to city council it takes at least 10 visits ($$$) with vagrants to "build their trust", before the can be asked to obtain services and perhaps abandon their life in the bushes. I suppose it will take even more social worker visits ($$$) to convince them not to set our city on fire, let alone stop stealing bikes, raiding package deliveries and mail boxes, and daily harassing tourists and residents.

Seabird Jun 10, 2021 08:47 PM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

Jesus. This is terrible. That man could have lost his life, and Mark would have been forced to do it. That is a horrible position for him to be in. The Mayor and City Council do nothing but enable and empower the homeless, sadly. It's going to take a severe loss of property and/or life to get them to do anything at all. How about, instead of paying all of these useless "consultants" they have hired over the last three years, and set up satellite patrols of problem areas? A consistent police presence IN the homeless camps and neighborhoods they frequent would do a heck of a lot to discourage this horrid kind of behavior. Something must be done.

NotReallyDave Jun 10, 2021 09:14 PM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

We need to let the Mayor know that tourists need to be warned to stay out of the Drunk Zone. And Visit Santa Barbara. And all new organizations so that the word can get out quickly and effectively. And City Staff so that they can hire a consultant to determine why this is happening. And so on, and on.

Pebblehill Jun 10, 2021 09:28 PM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

Unfortunately the statistics/data show that about 98% of these homeless have some high degree of mental illness which manifests in their chronically odd, paranoid, reality void, violent behavior. Most homeless are off their meds. It is not about “loving this way of life”.

Rypert Johnson Jun 11, 2021 12:21 PM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

98%? Seriously? I know you pulled that stat out of thin air. There's studies showing a much lower % number of mental illness. Show us your sources. My sources are the HAMS studies conducted in areas with high "houseless neighbor" populations.

Chip of SB Jun 10, 2021 09:47 PM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

Unfortunately it’s going to get a lot worse before it gets better. In order to solve this problem, we need a paradigm shift in our approach. We need to take the mentally ill and the drug addicts into locked care facilities, and in order to do that we need to add hundreds of thousands of beds worth of capacity. Most people still seem to be convinced this is a housing problem, so it will co to use to spiral out of control until that mindset changes. For the time being, I would recommend relocating to more rural areas.

doulie Jun 10, 2021 10:18 PM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

I believe it was back in the 60's or70's when an attempt was made to pick up and house "junkies" in a rehab facility. Civil rights people stepped in and fought against this process. The police chief ran into so many civil rights roadblocks he told his narcs to arrest and book the "junkies" into county jail. Never read where these "junkies" were going to be placed but I'll guess there's not much room anywhere today.

[email protected] Jun 10, 2021 10:28 PM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

I want to clarify certain facts that seem to be of concern by some of your comments here.
Gun vs Rock? Really???
And are the homeless always the victims of everything because of their mental challenges?
This man was coming at me with a 7.5lb concrete column raised up in the air ready to bust my head open, he was not messing around. He said he was going to kill me seven times. The post office man was there right at the beginning and did nothing but hand me my mail and quickly leave the area. I am a 61 year old man w/ both knees recently replaced, I am not quick on my feet. I repeatedly backed up from our gate toward and into my store to deescalate the incident. I was on the phone w/ 911. I grabbed a baseball bat as first line of defense. That meant nothing to this man. If I had to use the bat and missed, he clearly would have killed me, I was sure of that. This man was violent and I could see it in his eyes. As last resort I grabbed my handgun...... That got his attention but not immediately. It was close, very close. But he finally made a good decision and took off.
FYI: I started Santa Barbara Koi with Jill , when she was 16 and I was 18. We married when Jill was 21 and she is the mother of our three wonderful daughters, All of them have been active in the business over the years. Jill and I have worked very hard for over 40 years to get where we are today. Often 12 hour days and many seven days a week. Ask anyone that knows us and they will back that up, we are not slackers at all. We have always employed only fully documented, legitimate staff full time and ALWAYS provided excellent health insurance. We kept everyone employed 40+ hours a week all last year throughout Covid and no-one caught Covid. We run a great business that is truly an asset to Santa Barbara. Look at our Yelp reviews.
I am 61 now and keep in mind not the fastest person in the world. We have been at our current location for over over 20 years. Today I stopped in the store to load some water lilies in my truck for a delivery and Jill asked me to run the store for her for about 30 minutes this morning.
This is the second violent incident I have personally been on the receiving end this year at our store. Stealing is a daily problem. Anything not bolted down and easy to take is just gone. We had the 20 minute no parking sign / post taken out front taken last week. I had to go retrieve it back from a homeless encampment at the Garden Street offramp that was using the post for a tent pole.
Is it time for Santa Barbara Koi to close up, build four story, million $ condos on our property, take the cash and move away?
Am I supposed to feel sorry for this guy that wanted to bash my brains in because he is mentally challenged. What if he had killed my wife today. Should I feel sorry for him.
What if he was in your kitchen this morning raising a 7.5 pound concrete weapon at you yelling repeatedly he is going to kill you!!!
Look at the stealing reported daily on the Next-door app.
Violence with the homeless is here and if you don't experience it already you will soon.
Do you really expect me not to have a gun? That would be just stupid, I would be dead, sure of that.

bicyclist Jun 11, 2021 06:59 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

[email protected], for the love of... Please, know that you did the right thing. don't "close up, build four story, million $ condos on our property...", that means they win. The reaction you had seemed very controlled from what has been stated so far, "Reasoning" with some people just isn't gong to work.

Seabird Jun 11, 2021 07:18 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

You have our support, Mark. As a business owner, maybe you would be willing to approach the Mayor and city hall with this experience. They need to be inundated with the reality of it. I am sorry that this is your situation, but you sound like a stand-up human and you absolutely did the right thing.

Rypert Johnson Jun 11, 2021 12:02 PM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

Mark, to begin with, I commend you on showing self control in this matter. Stand your ground sir, you did the right thing and I guarantee you 95% of the community supports your actions and how you handled this situation.
Don't give in to the forces wanting to destroy our communities! That is what they want! People like you to just throw their hands in the air and give up. DON'T!
You're a good man sir and I will gladly support your business as well as encourage others to do so. Thank you for making a stand.

Rypert Johnson Jun 10, 2021 10:55 PM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

Where do I begin? Oh, yeah, "houseless neighbors" is always a great start. All that needs to be said. Mark, just glad you're alright. Stay safe & healthy, don't let these bullies push you around.

ChemicalSuperFreak Jun 11, 2021 12:37 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

I had a similar incident happen to me. A transient approached me as I was walking my dog. He started yelling that I was enslaving my dog and then attempted to forcibly liberate my dog. Not surprisingly, my dog (an Akita) didn't want any of his liberation and started to bark aggressively, snapping at him. They transient lunged at me so I delivered one clean round house kick to his head and he went down. My wife called the police and grabbed the dog leash before my dog could shred this guy. In the mean time he got up and lunged at me again. By the time the cops arrived I had him on the ground, riding his back and slamming his face into the asphalt a few times every time he'd try to reach up for me. He was a bloody mess by the time the police took him into custody. I had plenty of witnesses that documented his attack of me and my family. He plead guilty and walked with no jailtime. This was a few years ago. Wonder if it's the same guy? This attack took place in Goleta.

ChillinGrillin Jun 11, 2021 10:01 PM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

Most of the suspects I encountered on the job were Hispanic, poor and/or homeless. But you know what? I didn't make that extra ignorant step and say all people in that group are criminals. That would be foolish and reflect a misunderstanding of larger factors. A core issue is mental illness, and a broad failure to adequately treat it to the point where ill people are robbing and committing violence on the streets. As for an alternative to treatment, I have yet to hear a viable alternative bc locking them up makes it worse in almost all cases. As for your insults, I'm not angry more just sad that you insult people you don't know on the Internet. Have a nice life, bud.

AwareHuman Jun 11, 2021 01:00 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

It is too sad ...a citizen is threatened and forced to defend himself against a raging madman. ...and daily aggravations from the addicts must be beyond exhausting and emotionally debilitating for him. I was attacked by a well known mentally ill man...the police were responsive, but city hall is not. It really is time to stop enabling and denying the severity of this dire, and growing, issue. Tough love works.

Channelfog Jun 11, 2021 04:03 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

Notice that Mark is an excellent employer providing full time gainful employment with benefits . While the mentally ill represent a significant percentage of the homeless, most are economically lost and their spirits often follow suit. I see this violent act as another manifestation of Social breakdown such as all the multiple shootings. Instead of meaningful employment the workforce now gets "jobbed" (look it up). The 0.1 % created this with their manipulation of legislation, and greedy, rapacious business practices. They rule now, so aside from some sense of nobles oblige on their part, there may be no answer. Their allegiance is to their pocket at the expense of our Nation.

Byzantium Jun 11, 2021 09:03 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

There are(1) the have-nots; (2) the can nots; and (3) the will nots. Stop confusing them by lumping them all together with a single term - you are arguing for the array of social services already in place in our generous social services safety net for the (1) "have nots" - those temporarily facing a set back. Services already in place. We are talking about the (3) will-nots and the (2) can nots: Jail for the former and locked mental care institutions for the latter.

Channelfog Jun 12, 2021 03:40 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

BYZANT- The mental facilities to which you refer do not exist. They were dismantelled by republican Idiots like Reagan. Camarillo State Hospital was a fine facility and as clean as possible given the foul propensities of some of the inmates. Many of those former inmates are likely still on the streets.
I would venture that while most homeless today got there due to economics, it is not long before homelessness wreaks emotional and mental health. Dealing with depression with drugs and alcohol only seals their fate mentally and economically. You see: (1) the have-nots, become the cannots and will nots. The best cure for homelessness is prevention as recovery is often not complete or possible at all.

Rypert Johnson Jun 11, 2021 06:32 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

Here's a novel idea. The homeless that want help, such as rehabilitation, documentation, housing and all, get them the help they need. The "houseless neighbors" that DON'T want help, do a little warrant check on them. If they got warrants, JAIL THEM.
If any of us who aren't "houseless neighbors" have warrant, for whatever reason, you know where we go, but that's because we're not a protected species like the "houseless neighbors" are.
Stop protecting and defending bad behavior, those that need a lengthy stay in the Graybar Inn And Suites earned it. 3 hots and a cot and automatic rehab.
By the way, PLEASE, stop confusing mental illness with brain damage. Mental illness is naturally caused by changes in brain chemistry that occur naturally.
The tweakers and junkies, they fried their brains by self induced choices and their choice is to continue doing it. They can be rehabilitated, a mentally ill person can't, they can just be accommodated.
Stop accommodating the junkies and tweakers and most importantly, stop insulting the mentally ill by lumping the junkies and tweakers in with them. Enough is enough.

sacjon Jun 11, 2021 11:17 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

RYPERT - what happened to you? This is actually sensible and somewhat compassionate. Did you hit your head? I agree 100% with this.

Rypert Johnson Jun 11, 2021 11:39 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

SACJON, LOLOLOL! I have always felt this, but in your seething hatred toward me, you chose to pick through my comments to villify me. The funny thing, as I have said before, is we BOTH agree on who the problems are caused by as well as who really needs the help.
But in your anger and need to create an enemy, you have missed the message and point time on end.
All good here, it's good to know that we both have some common sense on this matter, even you'll probably disagree with that too, but such is life.

sacjon Jun 11, 2021 11:47 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

RYPERT - the nuances escape you, but yes, I believe and have long said that we need to get rid of the gutter punks and urban travelers who do not want help. We both agree on this, it's just where I find you repulsive is in your method of "taking care" of them. They should be jailed as a deterrent to show we won't accept their "voluntarily homeless" lifestyle so they eventually leave this "unfriendly" town. However, you and LUVADUCK have gone off the deep end and proposed internment in unregulated facilities or open fields for all punks AND addicts, wishing death upon them as a means of taking care of the problem. THAT is where we differ.

Byzantium Jun 11, 2021 08:39 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

The right to self-defense is both the objective and subjective threat of mortal harm. Did you think you were lethally threatened, and would an ordinary person also believe there was an imminent threat of severe bodily harm. Looks like both boxes were checked off according to this description of the event.

a-1623426152 Jun 11, 2021 08:42 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

Mental illness is the problem, as many have said, and mental illness calls for chemical change in the brain - medications - and I can tell you from experience with the mentally ill sector, nothing on god's green earth is going to get them to take meds, and they can't keep a schedule to make the meds effective. It takes willing patients, and a medical staff travelling and administering with doses of daily medications, to tackled this problem; and, yes, that's impossible, right. One example is CAHOOTS in Eugene, Oregon that is amazing as far as it can go. Travelling local vans with many services and great personal familiarity with its customers/patrons/patients.

a-1623426514 Jun 11, 2021 08:48 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

J886, I wonder if the anger is excalating because of the constant pressure by authority to move and move and move camps and locations of homeless. From experience I know that every move is a loss of belongings and important papers and identity that cannot be replaced. For example, one mentally ill person I help to assist cannot get the social security and disability coming to her because the long years of homelessness and being rousted and robbed, and also separated from her belongings from authority raids, has so obliterated her tracks of work when she was younger that the government can't reconstruct them sufficiently.

Byzantium Jun 11, 2021 08:57 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

City council was recently told by Homeless Inc vagrants "wander" typically in an 8 block area away from their vagrant camps. We need a map of these vagrant hot zones posted on the city council website and charge each district city council rep with the full impact this wandering dereliction has allowed. Residents in these 8 block hot zones need full notification of this known peril and increased police patrols of these city council sanctioned hot zones. Whose district covers this current incident - hold that city council person fully responsible for maintaining this health and safety hazard in his/her district on their watch - Harmon or Gutierrez? What is the 8 block "vagrant-wandering" zone for the city proposed vagrant camp at 101 and Carrillo? What businesses and homes will be directly affected by this misguided and vengeful city council decision.

Roger Jun 11, 2021 03:48 PM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

To change the headline to "Vagrant" Incident would be almost like saying all Homeless folks are Vagrants and they are not. In any community or group of people exists your good and your bad in my case your "Ugly." Some people that are homeless are great people and you would never guess they are homeless lets not put them all in the same bucket, they don't all belong there Mark knows that.

sacjon Jun 11, 2021 02:24 PM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

OOPS - this really isn't a "2nd Amendment success story." Did you read it? The gun did nothing. The only thing that send this guy running was the sound of sirens. Brave guy indeed, but lets' not start patting our holsters on the back just yet....

Roger Jun 11, 2021 02:38 PM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

It's a good thing he ran when he heard those sirens because fear aside that jerk would be an out line on the sidewalk today.

Sail380 Jun 12, 2021 11:00 AM
Gun Incident on East Montecito Street

SACJON Take off the welding helmet and see the light. This was a second amendment issue because Unless Mark is a prohibited person he has the right to possess a firearm and defend himself . He didn't go for the gun immediately. He tried to deescalate the situation verbally, by retreating, showing a less lethal weapon( a bat) and as a last resort a firearm. Without a last resort it would be a different story. With a defunded police it would more than likely be a different story.

Pages