Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated? title=
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

By Dr. Henning Ansorg, M.D., FACP, Health Officer County of Santa Barbara, Department of Public Health

Recently, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released updated outdoor/indoor mask and face covering guidance for fully vaccinated individuals. This is good news as it demonstrates that COVID-19 vaccines are effective at reducing the risk of contracting the virus or experiencing severe symptoms from the virus.

To be “fully vaccinated,” it means that at least two weeks have passed since a person has completed their vaccine series (this means two weeks after receiving the second shot of a Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or one dose of Johnson & Johnson).

The new guidelines allow fully vaccinated people to be without masks outdoors unless they are in a crowded environment, such as at a sporting event, concert or parade. Mask-free activities for fully vaccinated people include exercising outside, dining outside, or gathering with small groups outdoors.

People who are unvaccinated or partially vaccinated must continue to wear masks outdoors when around other unvaccinated people, as well as when dining outdoors and at crowded events.

It is important to know that all people, whether they are vaccinated or not , are advised to wear masks indoors when around other people they do not live with, regardless of the activity.  For more information about local public health orders, guidance, and vaccine distribution in Santa Barbara County, please visit: https://publichealthsbc.org/.

dukemunson May 12, 2021 01:21 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

In essence, considering SB's vaccination numbers...most of the people walking around with masks on are doing it out of superstition and fear as the CDC (and again they are saying they are being overly cautious) is saying it doesn't make sense. It's obviously OK to be superstitious and irrationally fearful...but it's worth recognizing and realizing that, no...?

sacjon May 12, 2021 01:35 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

DUKE - key words - "most of the people." So, you acknowledge that some wear it out of scientific necessity. Ok, good. Now, how do you know which people are vaccinated (don't really need masks) or not (should wear them anytime close to others)? You don't. No one does. That's the point. There's nothing you can do about it, other than complain, which is what all you and VOR have been doing. Just live and let live. Let those who know they don't need it wear them if they want. You guys are all about personal rights, right? So, stop freaking out over some people choosing to continue wearing masks. Just chill.

ginger1 May 12, 2021 01:48 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

"No one on this thread is a scientist. The debate is pointless. " You do not know who on this discussion is a scientist. Point of fact, I am, complete with lots of degrees but more importantly, actual in-the-field research and, hopefully, the ability to share the knowledge and educate. So the debate is not pointless. It's about helping people make correct and science-based decisions.

If people want to dwell in the world of conspiracy theories and live a life based on ignorance and fear, that is not my problem, until it effects me and people and I care about. This stuff does.

So keep your hands clean and away from your nose, and until this is over, and it will be just like every virus epidemic in history, take *sensible precautions* to protect yourself and at-risk people around you. And for the sake of all of humanity and the people you love, get vaccinated! Then YOU wont be at risk or a risk to anyone else. It is that simple.

Voice of Reason May 12, 2021 01:55 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Sac, grasping at straws is a generous description for your comments today. As Duke and I have clearly explained today, and many other times on edhat, which you keep ignoring (it must be intentional at this point, probably because you don't have a leg to stand on),is that we don't care or have a problem with people wearing a mask for the rest of their lives out of an extreme overabundance of caution. Our problem is when their irrational fear impacts policy that affects us all. This has significant negative consequces to all of us like the unnecessary school and business closures we've been faced with the past year. We are totally okay with live and let live but that is not what has been happening this past year.

sacjon May 12, 2021 02:02 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

VOR - as per usual, you are flailing again. Your so full of carp its unbelievable. You say OK, live and let live, yet here you are screaming and crying because some people still choose to wear a mask, calling them science deniers and paranoid. Don't worry about it. And no, this is not about the past year (that's over, move on), this is about NOW and the future. God dang man, your whining is pathetic. Just stop it already.

YOU ARE NOT BEING IMPACTED by others wearing masks even if they're vaxxed. Enough now.

dukemunson May 12, 2021 02:14 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

When enough people are acting irrationally and against science/reason, it's a problem. Look at hardcore supporters of Trump who ignored the lies and craziness... that's a problem. As we agreed on all year, the school board ignoring science, the CDC and logic was a problem. Enough people following irrational fears is a problem as it can dictate policy and action. Let's try (whenever possible) to follow the science and logic...not superstitions.

sacjon May 12, 2021 02:49 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

DUKE - good points. Great thing is, people wearing masks even when not "scientifically necessary" is not (and should not be) a problem for anyone. Well, except those who are freaking out about it here.

dukemunson May 12, 2021 02:58 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

As of right now the camps I’m looking at for my kids are saying they will be wearing masks outside . All of our kids are obviously at recess at school today masked. Seeing 3 year olds at the beach in masks is I think a problem. I’m not freaking out about it... but the commitment to following fear over science is a problem that I think you are overlooking/discounting.

edney May 12, 2021 03:51 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Scientists and academics often have zero commonsense and need to review 20 pages of instructions and watch 3 how to videos on YouTube to even begin trying to use a shovel.
One of my past neighbors was a professor at SBCC and I saw him trying to dig a hole in hard dirt with a flat edge shovel. But boy could he teach math

edney May 12, 2021 06:22 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Scientists told us that we didn't need masks. It was a white lie so people wouldn't hoard masks but the road to hell is paved with good intentions and they lost credibilty.
Scientists told us outdoor transmission possibility was under ten percent, so beaches were closed, stand paddlers arrested while at sea. Outdoor dining banned. Turns out the number wasn't 10%, it wasn't 5% it wasn't even 1%... it was .1%. I'm not a scientist or a virologist and don't need to be to know that people couldn't use the beach for months (and some people still wear masks at the beach while walking alone!) we couldn't use outdoor spaces because there was a "10% risk of transmission" when in reality it was statistically negligible. Yeah. They are geniuses. How dare we question them? You know why I question them? Because of BS like saying less than 10% when the real number was .1%

letmego May 13, 2021 10:54 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

UH, SBSURFERLIFE, you don't know who is a scientist and who isn't. There are some of us here with a lot of science education and training, degrees, not to mention those of us who work with statistics as a job.

When you work with science and data for a living, you learn to gather more data, look at the results, and reevaluate. That's why you can see varying opinions here, and you'll find people along the spectrum of conservative to liberal in reaction to the virus response AND you'll find that various people have changed their opinion over what is safe. This is based on both new data AND changes in the world of COVID.

The decision over what is "safe" comes not only from the CDC recommendations - it also has to consider individual lifestyle - are you vaccinated, are you an essential worker, do you have comorbidities, do you work indoors with others, do you have children in school? Do you spend most of your life outdoors? Also: what is the local case rate like? What was "safe" in January with a growing case rate is not the same as in May with a dwindling case rate and mass vaccination.

EVEN THOUGH several of us here are very "similar" - people who are vaccinated, can work remotely, with kids in school - you will STILL find some differences in what people are comfortable with. Some think you should have your (unvaccinated) kids masked outdoors. Some do not. Some are willing to work indoors maskless, some are not. Some happily workout at the gym indoors without a mask, others - nope. Those seem like big differences, but they really aren't - people fall along the spectrum of "safety" those are just tiny differences.

letmego May 13, 2021 10:58 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

EDNEY, dude, when California originally closed the beaches, we had VERY little data about the transmission of COVID indoors vs. outdoors. That is no longer the case. We have over a year of contact tracing data that shows us the 0.1% (or less). We did not have that last summer.

Also, you need to remember that here in Santa Barbara, the PRIMARY reason to close the beaches wasn't so much to prevent "outdoor spread", it was to prevent GATHERING. We were trying to avoid having Los Angeles folks coming up here and spreading COVID (they were a hot bed!) It's not them on the beaches, it's them everywhere indoors.

Of course, funny thing is that LA's case rate is below ours now and has been for quite some time.

Seabird May 13, 2021 02:23 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

@Edney - this is GOLDEN. "Because of BS like saying less than 10% when the real number was .1%" You do realize that .1% IS 10%? A math teacher you indeed are not. Bet you can sure dig a hole, though. Thanks for the laugh!

bicyclist May 13, 2021 02:32 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

@seabird - Maybe Not a "math teacher" but at a minimum you could have seen that it's .1% which IS equal to 1/10%. So yeah 10% is a lot more! than .1%... Thanks for the math question !

Chip of SB May 12, 2021 02:50 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Here is a really interesting article about why some people are having a hard time letting go of the masks and other restrictions. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/05/liberals-covid-19-science-denial-lockdown/618780/

Voice of Reason May 12, 2021 03:41 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Chip, excellent article and thank you for sharing here. I think it more eloquently explains some of the points a few of us here are making that others (one in particular) refuse to acknowledge.

"But vigilance can have unintended consequences when it imposes on other people’s lives. Even as scientific knowledge of COVID-19 has increased, some progressives have continued to embrace policies and behaviors that aren’t supported by evidence, such as banning access to playgrounds, closing beaches, and refusing to reopen schools for in-person learning.... Public figures and policy makers who try to dictate others’ behavior without any scientific justification for doing so erode trust in public health and make people less willing to take useful precautions".

Ahchooo May 12, 2021 04:12 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

If a vaccinated person wears a mask into the supermarket, that does not impose any restrictions on others. It doesn’t close the beach or stop in-person schooling. Let them be. But on another point: a fair number of people don’t follow this as much as we Edhat commenters do. One guy I know hadn’t been keeping up—he just pops on a mask anytime he’s around people. Not because he’s stupid, but because he doesn’t care one way or another and hadn’t read the recent guidelines.

Ahchooo May 12, 2021 07:55 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Ogsb, I wasn’t clear. Some of the commenters seem to want people to _only_ wear masks if they haven’t been vaccinated. My friend has been vaccinated, but wears his mask anyway. Not alone, outside, but more than some of the commenters would deem smart. Vaccinated people have very little risk of catching or transmitting covid, so some commenters think that wearing masks anywhere when vaccinated is bad form. But my friend isn’t making a statement. He’s just not tending closely to the guidelines, and errs on the side of caution.

Babycakes May 12, 2021 06:48 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

"Well, except those who are freaking out about it here" Freaking out about it here ,,,,,says the brain trust with more than 30 comments on this article alone.... that's almost 30% of the total freaking out comments/contributions from a single commenter. "So I have to ask you kid, in all the confusion, was it 31 comments or 33?"......"I got's tuh know....." Snitched, in part, from a Dirty Harry flick. It's all good as they say. Good fun on this June Gloom day....

Voice of Reason May 13, 2021 08:47 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

“We’ve got to make that transition. If you are vaccinated, you don’t have to wear a mask outside. It would be a very unusual situation, if you were going into a completely crowded situation where people are essentially falling all over each other, then you wear a mask. But any other time, if you’re vaccinated and you’re outside, put aside your mask. You don’t have to wear it.” - Dr. Fauci aka Sultan of Safety, aka the King of [Double] Masks, aka The Supreme Leader of an Overabundance of Caution

Voice of Reason May 13, 2021 08:51 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

"Our data from the CDC today suggests that vaccinated people do not carry the virus, don't get sick, and that it's not just in the clinical trials but it's also in real-world data," -CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky. Walensky was describing the results of a new CDC study of vaccinated Americans, which found that they not only had very high resistance to COVID-19, but also to asymptomatic infections of the SARS-CoV-2 virus – and, by extension, are very unlikely to spread it to other people.

bosco May 13, 2021 08:59 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Too many comments to sift through here. While I have many thoughts on masks and the science vs. the mandates I will leave my one comment here. I hate what masks have become. A way to judge and point fingers. Certainly the mask mandates have not been handled well. But we all need to acknowledge we're at a point where mask use will become voluntary. And that's ok. Don't let masks divide us any further. If you choose to wear a mask, by all means go ahead. If you choose to not wear a mask, that's ok too. At this point in the Pandemic mask wearing is purely an individual decision. Much like someone wearing hat to block the sun, it's a personal choice. Mask wearing isn't the problem, mask judging is the problem and it has much greater ramifications for our social stability.

dukemunson May 13, 2021 09:31 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

859am - if you want to be a mask lifer... go for it! But if you are fully vaccinated and/or outside it’s much more indicative of your mental state than any adherence to logic or science.

Voice of Reason May 13, 2021 09:35 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

And you are free to do so (just don't call in to school board or city council meetings encouraging continued restrictions for the rest of us). You also need to acknowledge your risk of dying from covid after being vaccinated is so incredibly low you're more likely to be killed walking around your neighborhood. It needs to be acknowledged that this extremely exaggerated risk, pushed for the past year by the for-profit media (if it bleeds it leads), is what triggered our horrendous pandemic response. Get your shot, live your life as normal. Relax.

sacjon May 13, 2021 09:47 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

VOR - wow.... did you even pause here to get some sleep. I worry about you, ol' buddy. You need to get some rest. Don't sleep too long though, or the COVID might getcha! Kidding. But seriously, sleep with one eye open....... I saw some masks running around up to no good!

Voice of Reason May 13, 2021 10:44 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta criticized the CDC for issuing coronavirus guidance that doesn’t necessarily follow science, which results in people “doing things that we don’t need to be doing.” Gupta also said he can understand why Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) said she doesn’t consider the CDC the “gold standard” anymore.

Gupta began by discussing school reopenings and said that “we could have probably opened schools, in some ways, based on the knowledge that we had, much earlier. It pains me to say this, but I see where she’s coming from — Sen. Collins — on this. I think for a long time, the concern was the CDC was providing guidance at the beginning of the pandemic that was not scientifically based. And as a result, we didn’t do things that we should have done in this country that could have greatly mitigated what has happened here. And now I think it’s almost a little bit of the reverse problem. The science is not necessarily being followed to the same extent. And as a result, we’re probably doing things that we don’t need to be doing. So, in the end, the CDC needs to be just a science-based organization. What does the science say? You don’t need to wear a mask outside. It’s just one of these things that, again, we’ve known this for some time. If you’re vaccinated, I don’t think you need to wear a mask indoors either. So, this is what the science is sort of showing, and I think the CDC just needs to probably say that. They’re erring on the side of caution. I get it. … But I think, at this point, it has to be very clear what the science shows and what you can do as a result of that.”

Voice of Reason May 13, 2021 11:17 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Excuse me? "Fully vaccinated people don’t need to wear a mask or physically distance during outdoor or indoor activities, large or small, federal health officials said, the fullest easing of pandemic recommendations so far." - https://www.wsj.com/articles/fully-vaccinated-people-can-stop-wearing-face-masks-physical-distancing-in-most-settings-cdc-says-11620928800?mod=e2tw

Voice of Reason May 13, 2021 11:19 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

You've been calling people "science deniers" "Faux News follwers" "Freedumbers" "Coviditos" so long you've failed to realize you're the one not following science (or even common sense).

sacjon May 13, 2021 11:39 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

VOR - to be fair, the restrictions are being eased BECAUSE of the vaccination rate and success. Back pre-vax, these restrictions were more applicable. So, this isn't really an "I told you so" moment. Also, I've agreed with Gupta on those points all along. No masks necessary outdoors (I never wore one at the beach, etc) and schools should have been in class back in August. It's the indoor, close quarter situations that needed and now for unvaxxed people, still need masks to some extent.

Just be happy that you no longer need to wear your mask. Now, get back to bed or go outside! Take a break bud!

letmego May 13, 2021 01:47 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

@SACJON "VOR - to be fair, the restrictions are being eased BECAUSE of the vaccination rate and success. Back pre-vax, these restrictions were more applicable. So, this isn't really an "I told you so" moment." EXACTLY.

RobinSB May 13, 2021 11:25 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

CDC just today announced that fully vaccinated folks don't; need to wear a mask or stay 6 feet away anymore.

Indoors or outdoors.

Still need to mack up on airplanes or in a care facility (which seems reasonable) but halleluiah. I'm ditching the mask...Unless a business requires it. I can handle that!

ginger1 May 13, 2021 12:27 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Here's the press release. CDC website being updated as I type this. As I and others predicted, even sooner than we thought. Read this carefully. Tell your friends.

"Anyone who is fully vaccinated can participate in indoor and outdoor activities, large or small, without wearing a mask or physical distancing,'' CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said. "I you are fully vaccinated, you can start doing the things that you had stopped doing because of the pandemic.''

No more masks, no more "social distancing", no more fear.

Let's hope the city and county remove their ridiculous signs scaring people into wearing masks. And if you're not vaccinated, run, do not walk to the vax places because you're going to have to wait a month to participate in the return to normal.

PitMix May 13, 2021 01:43 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

With exceptions, right? But science deniers can ignore them.

How do you tell the difference between a vaxxed maskless and a unvaxxed maskless? Does that make a difference in your choices.

Shasta Guy May 13, 2021 12:42 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

I’m actually working out maskless in the gym right now where I have been going for months 4x per week. No one is wearing a mask, and everyone stopped wearing them several weeks ago. Have your conniption fits everyone.

Pages