Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated? title=
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

By Dr. Henning Ansorg, M.D., FACP, Health Officer County of Santa Barbara, Department of Public Health

Recently, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released updated outdoor/indoor mask and face covering guidance for fully vaccinated individuals. This is good news as it demonstrates that COVID-19 vaccines are effective at reducing the risk of contracting the virus or experiencing severe symptoms from the virus.

To be “fully vaccinated,” it means that at least two weeks have passed since a person has completed their vaccine series (this means two weeks after receiving the second shot of a Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or one dose of Johnson & Johnson).

The new guidelines allow fully vaccinated people to be without masks outdoors unless they are in a crowded environment, such as at a sporting event, concert or parade. Mask-free activities for fully vaccinated people include exercising outside, dining outside, or gathering with small groups outdoors.

It is important to know that all people, whether they are vaccinated or not , are advised to wear masks indoors when around other people they do not live with, regardless of the activity.  For more information about local public health orders, guidance, and vaccine distribution in Santa Barbara County, please visit: https://publichealthsbc.org/.

Voice of Reason May 12, 2021 01:55 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Sac, grasping at straws is a generous description for your comments today. As Duke and I have clearly explained today, and many other times on edhat, which you keep ignoring (it must be intentional at this point, probably because you don't have a leg to stand on),is that we don't care or have a problem with people wearing a mask for the rest of their lives out of an extreme overabundance of caution. Our problem is when their irrational fear impacts policy that affects us all. This has significant negative consequces to all of us like the unnecessary school and business closures we've been faced with the past year. We are totally okay with live and let live but that is not what has been happening this past year.

ginger1 May 12, 2021 01:48 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

"No one on this thread is a scientist. The debate is pointless. " You do not know who on this discussion is a scientist. Point of fact, I am, complete with lots of degrees but more importantly, actual in-the-field research and, hopefully, the ability to share the knowledge and educate. So the debate is not pointless. It's about helping people make correct and science-based decisions.

If people want to dwell in the world of conspiracy theories and live a life based on ignorance and fear, that is not my problem, until it effects me and people and I care about. This stuff does.

So keep your hands clean and away from your nose, and until this is over, and it will be just like every virus epidemic in history, take *sensible precautions* to protect yourself and at-risk people around you. And for the sake of all of humanity and the people you love, get vaccinated! Then YOU wont be at risk or a risk to anyone else. It is that simple.

sacjon May 12, 2021 01:35 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

DUKE - key words - "most of the people." So, you acknowledge that some wear it out of scientific necessity. Ok, good. Now, how do you know which people are vaccinated (don't really need masks) or not (should wear them anytime close to others)? You don't. No one does. That's the point. There's nothing you can do about it, other than complain, which is what all you and VOR have been doing. Just live and let live. Let those who know they don't need it wear them if they want. You guys are all about personal rights, right? So, stop freaking out over some people choosing to continue wearing masks. Just chill.

dukemunson May 12, 2021 01:21 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

In essence, considering SB's vaccination numbers...most of the people walking around with masks on are doing it out of superstition and fear as the CDC (and again they are saying they are being overly cautious) is saying it doesn't make sense. It's obviously OK to be superstitious and irrationally fearful...but it's worth recognizing and realizing that, no...?

dukemunson May 12, 2021 01:16 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

SBSURFLIFE - Ummm...I think you are confused. The CDC and scientists are in fact pointing out how silly mask wearing outdoors is in many/most scenarios. That is the point of this article. The debate (which is allowed, right...isn't that much of the point of EDHAT) is centered around the science and scientists who are critical of the CDC for that still being overly cautious...

Voice of Reason May 12, 2021 11:27 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

If you have been vaccinated, everything on this list is more likely to kill you than covid. That is a fact, that is science. Don't be a science denier. If you're vaccinated and still want everyone to mask up, what are you also doing to protect yourself from things more likely to kill you than covid like sharp objects, hornets, sunstroke, pedestrian incident, biking, ...? https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/all-injuries/preventable-death-overview/odds-of-dying/

sacjon May 12, 2021 12:31 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

BABYCAKES - not sure what acid you took, but maybe read the comments. I actually agree with VOR and DUKE about not needing masks if you're vaxxed. Not sure why no one sees that. I'm just sticking up for those who choose to still wear masks, whether vaxxed or not. You all (I refuse to type out "y'all" like an idiot) need to read my comments better.

sacjon May 12, 2021 12:24 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

VOR - As the past year has proven, most people don't need to go back to "the office." Working from home should be the new norm for most, but that's another topic for another day. Go get outside now and enjoy the fog!

Babycakes May 12, 2021 12:24 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

The SAC keeps getting sopped with science! Dunked in the bucket and slopped on the floor and swooshed up-and-down and side-to-side like a rag doll (the doll keeps fighting back, only to get another dunkety-dunk). Now THAT is hilarious to the casual observers on this board. All in good fun. Blessing to everyone and please excuse my casual observations if you disagree with them.

dukemunson May 12, 2021 12:17 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Sac - But our kids aren't vaccinated. So how much longer are they going to mandate our 6 and 7 year olds wear one when for so many situations its completely without any scientific or logical merit...

Voice of Reason May 12, 2021 12:15 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Sac: timely article today and why we believe this irrational extreme cautiousness of some is a problem. 10% of the people won't ever feel safe coming back to the office even if everyone was vaccinated. The irrational fear mongering throughout this pandemic will have a lasting and detrimental impact. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/12/a-return-to-the-office-will-be-hampered-by-lingering-covid-fears-survey-finds-.html

sacjon May 12, 2021 12:06 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

DUKE and everyone else - it's so damn simple. If you are vaccinated, you don't really need to wear a mask anywhere except maybe at an indoor event with a bunch of strangers. The "rules" are going away and yet you all still kick and scream and cry and moan about it. Just get vaxxed and go out and have fun and live your lives! Stop all these tantrums. It's freaking exhausting. Now, I'm out. Got games to watch and bikes to ride and oceans to swim in and friends to see. Try not to dwell on this too much longer folks!

Voice of Reason May 12, 2021 12:04 PM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

According to the data Sac (i.e. the science), if you're vaccinated wearing a seatbelt driving 5mph on a deserted road will do more to reduce your risk of dying than wearing a mask. Wearing a helmet while walking will also reduce your risk of dying more than wearing a mask. If someone really wanted to "play it overly safe", they should put on a helmet when they walk outside, over their mask of course. To be honest, I had no idea "pedestrian incidents" was that high on the list of things that could kill you.

Babycakes May 12, 2021 11:53 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

VOR: I wish that my written "delivery" was half as good as yours. Each and every time you mop the floor with a couple of the posters here, they are compelled to come back at you with name calling and/or their favorite "you are completely wrong." Apparently, everything you and Ginger say is wrong, wrong, and wronger. It's amazing that the two of you are never/ever right. After you calmly vivisect, slice, dice, and flush these angry posters, they come back at you with their tiny fists and small voices..."you are wrong". It's like going to a party, and to constantly avoid the person who only wants to continue arguing for argument's sake. Okay....wear it, don't wear it, let me have my cocktail in peace for goodness sakes...shoo fly!

dukemunson May 12, 2021 11:40 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Sac - I think you are downplaying the "overly safe" crowds effect on policy that affects us all. For example, the School Board played it wildly "overly safe"...which obviously had a huge impact on us all. Same goes for certain business closures...the "not following science overly safe" crowd had tangible impacts. It's time to acknowledge that it's OK to be overly safe...but you aren't really accomplishing anything with that action. It's akin to wearing a helmet as you walk around.

sacjon May 12, 2021 11:33 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

VOR - wearing a mask is not being a "science denier" anymore than wearing a seatbelt when driving 5 mph on a deserted road is being a "risk denier." Some people prefer to play it overly safe. Why do you care so much about what others do to protect themselves, even if there's minimal risk involved? Stop worrying so much about everyone else. I agree with the no mask if vaxxed policy. Stop stressing out about all this.

CreekMoe May 12, 2021 10:24 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

"People who are unvaccinated or partially vaccinated must continue to wear masks outdoors when around other unvaccinated people, as well as when dining outdoors and at crowded events. "

... so how do people dine outdoors and eat with a mask on?

and if people stand back to back, the 6ft mandate should be waved? or
reduced to 1 ft? 3ft? Need some science. A study. Test the theories.

NonBidenary May 12, 2021 07:57 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Load of nonsense. Didn’t anyone see the recent report (from The NY Times, before you all start freaking out that it’s a “far right conspiracy”) about the ‘misleading’ CDC information wherein we all learned that even without masks, the chance of catching it outdoors is less than .01%? Please do a search, the article is out there. I’m not lying or misdirecting or making this up. People who are vaccinated DO NOT need to wear masks, especially outdoors. But if you’re going to do it (and I will, when indoors) do it for others, not yourself.

ginger1 May 12, 2021 11:23 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Another science lesson: "you are likely confusing the 99.99% effective at preventing symptoms that require hospitalization." No, I am not. In real-world measurements, not a small test group of hospital workers exposed continually all day to virus-spewing patients, but the real world of a few hundred million vaccinated people, data gathered from three separate countries, the mRNA vaccines are 99.9913% (that's the current, as of last week calculated number) effective in preventing disease, death and INFECTION. Infection that allows for infecting others. Vaccination is the only thing that guaranties you that those around you wont get sick and die from covid. Period.

Obviously, some of the other vaccines are less effective than than others, but still very effective. Bottom line: If you are vaccinated, it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to get someone else sick. No vaccine is 100% effective, because there are some humans whose immune system, B-lymphocytes specifically, do not get the message. People, those with certain diseases or who are taking immunosuppressant treatments may not be fully protected or protected at all. This is not new info and most of those people know the risks. They live it every single day even before covid.

NONBINARY wrote: "People who are vaccinated DO NOT need to wear masks, especially outdoors. But if you’re going to do it do it for others, not yourself." Seriously? What, exactly, are you "doing for others"? You are promoting their fear instead of the value of being vaccinated.

The Covid-19 vaccines are a modern medical miracle. The mRNA vaxes are most effective vaccine for any disease-- ever. Embrace the technology. Get the shot. Go out in the fresh air and breathe.

sacjon May 12, 2021 09:59 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

VOR - I think if you spent half as much time outside enjoying life as you do stewing and fretting over Newsom and masks, you'd be much happier. You're too angry at everything. Get outside and go fishing or something.

Voice of Reason May 12, 2021 09:37 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Herr Newsom even said yesterday that after June 15th there will be no mask mandates except in very limited indoor mass-gathering settings where people are coming from all over the world. What is special about June 15th? nothing. everyone who wants a shot has had a chance to get one, only a handful of people are in the hospital, our cases can't really get lower and would disappear if we stopped the hyper-testing, there is zero reason everything can't be lifted now vs. waiting for the arbitrary June 15th date.

sacjon May 12, 2021 09:32 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

NONBIDENARY - you're exactly right. There is no need to wear a mask outdoors if you are vaccinated. That's what the chart up there is saying. Did you take a look at it? Aside from standing nuts to butts in an outdoor concert or drinking in the left field pavilion at Dodger stadium (some fun times), no need to wear a mask. So, relax and enjoy your summer. Get vaccinated and have fun again!

Luvaduck May 12, 2021 07:53 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Since there's no way to tell if someone is vaccinated or not and since those who refuse to (and wear their masks beneath their noses or some such to avoid owning up to their unconcern for others), it makes sense to continue to mask when you may be around such.

dukemunson May 12, 2021 11:25 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Sac - Even you aren't vaccinated, outside with a mask is silly in most situations Santa Barbarians face. And as an extension...it's silly for kids playing sports and doing camps to wear masks outside. That's unscientific paranoia....

dukemunson May 12, 2021 11:23 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Sac - What are your thoughts on the vaccine for kids? My wife and I have gotten both shots, but kids (especially when they get to the 10 and under crowd) is seemingly a different calculus...no?

sacjon May 12, 2021 10:58 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

DUKE - yes! This is what I've been saying. No masks needed outside unless you aren't vaxxed and you are close to others. Just get vaxxed and no need to mask outdoors at all. So easy, not sure why VOR can't get it.

sacjon May 12, 2021 10:34 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

VOR - "You are a science denier at this point to still clutch masks and demand others do the same, post vaccination." - Do you even read my comments? I'm getting sick of you not reading and then proclaiming what I think. That statement of yours is 100% WRONG, not surprising.

dukemunson May 12, 2021 10:29 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

True enough... it was a humorously notable (and yes wildly over the top) comment. But milder versions popped up from less infamous posters as well. And this “thinking” was obviously present in each and every school board meeting. Son yes it’s ok and your choice to wear a mask anywhere abs everywhere... but with enough people doing it in ridiculous situations it justifies and perpetuates other people doing it in ridiculous situations. The masked jogger and driver aren’t following science... they are in “superstition” territory...

Voice of Reason May 12, 2021 10:24 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Sac, I've agreed pre vaccines, indoors, less than 6 feet, masks provide some protection (though recent MIT study shows less protection that we thought). When you are vaccinated it doesn't provide any statistically meaningful (even albeit minimal) protection. Going back to our much discussed seatbelt analogy, if you're vaccinated you're odds of dying from someone else not wearing a mask are about the same as dying because someone else wasn't wearing their seatbelt. You are a science denier at this point to still clutch masks and demand others do the same, post vaccination. It may make you feel better, which is okay, but the science behind that is psychology not virology.

sacjon May 12, 2021 09:41 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

DUKE - and that's totally fine if they want to wear a mask. The problem now is that anti-maskers/vaxxers are so full of piss and vinegar that they get upset at people for making the choice to continue masking in situations where it's not really needed.

sacjon May 12, 2021 09:37 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

VOR - wrong. The mask does help, even if you don't think it's much. It's been proven time and time again the masks do provide some, albeit minimal, protection. Those who look at it at some "symbol" of oppression or something are just living in a fantasy land, a pretty grim one at that.

Voice of Reason May 12, 2021 09:32 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Sac, it has long not been about the mask but about the symbol the mask represents. Unfortunately, for those that understand science, math, and statistics, the mask have become a symbol of poor risk assessment, misunderstanding, misinformation, and how the CDC, WHO, and our Public Health Departments did a piss poor job in communicating relevant information during a pandemic and instead used grossly inaccurate models, fear, and entrenchment thinking in order to compel our population into compliance with their political masters and special interest groups (i.e. teachers unions meeting with the CDC to create stricter guidelines than they would have recommended on their own).

dukemunson May 12, 2021 09:24 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Sac - Can’t we be somewhere in the middle... kind of where logic and science are? Let’s masks up in crowded indoors spots but outside in sports and camps and life is just silly at this point. It’s kind of becoming a symbol of anti science really...

sacjon May 12, 2021 08:54 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Why, exactly, is it so damn hard for some people to just put a mask on? Why fight it so much? Does it burn your face or something? No, it's all about childish "principals." We get it, you don't like anyone telling you what do to. Well, grow up and join the rest of the adults in society, or continue crying like a baby in the corner because you don't even want it to e suggested that you should wear a mask.

dukemunson May 12, 2021 08:47 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

In the same way that some people were advocating for schools to not reopen, There are going to be X number of people who are mask “lifers”... despite any/all evidence to the contrary.

It’s a choice people can make... In fact I know multiple fully Fully vaccinated people who jog and “enjoy” quiet beaches masked... it’s just a part of them now.

Voice of Reason May 12, 2021 08:23 AM
Do I Still Need to Wear A Mask if I've Been Vaccinated?

Luva, if masks don't protect the wearer but others, why would it make sense for you (a vaccinated person) to wear a mask around other potentially unvaccinated people? You could wear it as a symbol, or because you like have your face covered, to each his own, but it certainly doesn't make "sense" as far as epidimolodygy goes.

Pages