By an edhat reader

We find "perfectly good" / unopened food items in parks and along the streets in downtown Santa Barbara.  Why do people leave these things?
Just curious!

ZeroHawk Mar 04, 2021 09:09 AM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

its simply human compassion, nothing more, nothing less. not all of us are hate filled humans...some of us care about others without having to know the other. some of us really really care. i volunteer weekly at various places. I mentor children with no dad. i give food to homeless. i'm no saint, not even a remote amount, but i won't let other americans fall if i can help.

irievibe Mar 04, 2021 08:56 AM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

One thing I have noticed is that the free school lunches require you to take milk with the free lunch. I noticed a bag of milks near our school that likely some non lactose person left for others. I asked the school if they could just not hand out milk and they said they have to include it whether you want it or not. For the other food left, we should organize a shelter to hand this out again. Leaving spoiled food for the needy will lead to medical issues which won’t be as helpful. For the “what’s in it for me” this means less unpaid medical bills raising insurance costs for everyone. That is if helping save a life isn’t a good enough reason:)

PitMix Mar 04, 2021 07:24 AM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

Box of cage free eggs cartons from Trader Joe left on the curb in front of a Pini property on Mission near Gillespie if anyone wants them. Always feels sketchy to have food left unattended on a curb. Isn't there a better way?

Bird Mar 04, 2021 09:40 AM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

I think what is wanted is a trash bin --- if there one nearby perhaps rather than leaving food in the parkway to rot or to fee the rats, it would be dumped there. The recipients clearly care only about themselves.

Bird Mar 03, 2021 10:44 PM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

What I have seen, living near a food donation location, now ceased, is that people would get boxes of free food and then keep only some of it and would leave the rest along the street. I'd see a lot of milk containers abandoned, vegetables, also, left to rot. Now that the handouts have ceased, but the need is still there, I haven't seen any food left recently.

Jence Mar 03, 2021 09:44 PM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

Is that the random bag on the corner of Olive and Laguna St's? I was gonna call the cops but I'm sure they have better things to do. I think it's highly irresponsible to leave these random bags at street corners . Nice thought but misguided.

ChillinGrillin Mar 03, 2021 09:10 PM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

I dated a girl downtown once and gave some leftover lunch to a young homeless guy. He seemed to be on drugs but looked deeply miserable with filthy clothes and bleeding scabs. Half a sandwich made his day. She was disgusted, asking why I even paid attention to “that dirty bum.” Needless to say we didn’t date much longer. Everybody needs love and compassion. It’s disgusting to see many “Christians” be so quick to judge and neglect a human being less fortunate than themselves. Jesus hung out with prostitutes, lepers and criminals, not condescending self-righteous snobs.

Mike920 Mar 04, 2021 08:20 PM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

Couldn’t agree with you more. There are many people claiming to be Christians who have perverted the Gospel of Jesus Christ to serve their own purposes, greed, ego etc. I’m trying to live out the teachings of Jesus and the Bible everyday, but I fail regularly. But the sun always rises and I have another chance to do the right thing. I hope people will judge me by the totality of the life I’ve lived and not condemn me for the times I fail. Sounds like we would agree on many things! Be well!

ChillinGrillin Mar 04, 2021 04:49 PM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

Chico and Mike: Yes, there are many Christians who understand biblical teachings and still try to live them. The Salvation Army literally saves lives, I've seen it firsthand. I'm referring to the increasing number of "prosperity gospel" folks who believe that God rewards faith with wealth and wellbeing. And that Christians should make giant mega-churches to glorify God, or speak in tongues and constantly ask for donations only directed to themselves as basically false idols and prophets. Jesus' teachings were explicitly the opposite: that God especially loves the poor and outcasts. Material wealth was literally meaningless to him. Sorry if I offended you and painted a group with a broad brush. It doesn't feel good or resemble reality, does it? But that's what many Christians do with homeless all the time even though their faith out of all others is supposed to help the less fortunate.

PitMix Mar 04, 2021 03:39 PM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

Chico, whether you believe in Christianity or not, it seems like Jesus was a saintly figure who practiced what he preached. And many of us profess to be Christians, all evidence to the contrary. So I don't see any problem talking about a historical religious figure who can serve as a moral guide if you really follow his teachings.

chico berkeley Mar 04, 2021 09:51 AM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

I don't believe your story.
Just another whack at religion-which of course started "charity".

Mike920 Mar 04, 2021 08:51 AM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

While there are Christians in this world who “are quick to judge and neglect a human being” (just like the general population), keep in mind that Christians are everyday making a major impact in Santa Barbara and around the world in serving the less fortunate, downtrodden, neglected and marginalized. If you are not aware two of the largest providers of services to the homeless in SB are in fact Christian based organizations. Christians serve and aid the less fortunate as a way to reflect the love that Jesus has for his people . Checkout the websites of both the Santa Barbara Rescue Mission and Salvation Army. Consider supporting these worthy organizations through volunteering your time or donation your resources.

fitz Mar 03, 2021 04:38 PM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

This is happening up in the Lompoc area also. Is it some group's campaign? Might check out some of those websites to see if this is a 'campaign' of some sort.

Humanitarian2003 Mar 03, 2021 01:14 PM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

I came here as a doctor many years ago and lived in my truck while I built my office, salvaging materials from construction dumpsters, buying tools and materials at the swap meet, and living from food found in the city like this. Now I am a successful doctor and proud of how I made my life here in Santa Barbara. This was all at a time when the economy was good and no pandemic. Now, we have good people who cannot find work and are living in their cars. Compassion is the key to enlightenment.

LCP112233 Mar 03, 2021 11:43 AM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

They do it for the cats. Why not for the bums? Personally, I give to the food bank, where the food goes to those truly in need. Not the bums on the street that choose to live the life of crime and drugs.

Channelfog Mar 05, 2021 05:11 AM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

Because this is for charity, a wholesaler who supplies markets agreed to sell to me at wholesale price. This allows us to buy a lot of food for our money. Each of the 20 boxes has flour, rice, sugar, pasta, lentils, tomato sauce, some canned veges, a liter of soybean oil, pollenta, and cocoa for the kids :-) Contents vary, but that's the basics for survival for a family of 4 for a week.

a-1614946794 Mar 05, 2021 04:19 AM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

Your money might well go further if given to the Food Bank, which has purchasing power through agreements and bulk purchases that go beyond what us individuals can do.
And there are others in greater need; I've also been donating to Imperial County, for instance.

Bene Mar 04, 2021 08:35 PM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

The issue should never be socialism versus no socialism. As has been said of toxins, "the danger is in the dose." The issue really should be which manifestations of socialism are beneficial and which ones are not. Hard- line liberty destroying communism has, in some countries , started as socialism.

sacjon Mar 04, 2021 04:33 PM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

DOULIE - Yeah, I know. My point is, we ALL pay for things we never use. It's America. Crying about "socialists" when you see someone leaving out food for homeless people is UN-American. I'm talking directly to Cwazny and his pathetic whining. I appreciate all our military does, but to complain about socialism while receiving socialist benefits is hypocritical at best, inhumane at worst.

Thank you, Doulie, for your service.

a-1614904326 Mar 04, 2021 04:32 PM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

We're definitely seeing psychological entitlement and anger management issues in these exchanges.

cwazny Mar 04, 2021 04:28 PM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

Again. Ignorant. the guns/ammo, food and shelter of YOUR armed services go toward the benefit of protecting and defending YOUR country. I guess you think that's the same as feeding drug addicts... And, no. I'm not leaving it. Unlike you, I've made sacrifices for my country. I never sat around waiting for someone to give me something. Anything,

doulie Mar 04, 2021 04:14 PM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

SACJON - The money you pay for a GI's VA benefits will never be enough for the loss of an arm or leg. Probably won't be enough to resolve psychological problems and many other ailments some suffer due to combat. I'm confident it will never be enough to bring them back from the dead. The GI goes out when ordered and never expects any "thanks" for doing their job in which they know they may sacrifice all. I hope you will accept my thanks without "a nice thank you note" you ask for.

sacjon Mar 04, 2021 03:55 PM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

CWAZNY - You're welcome for the guns/ammo, food and shelter I paid for while you served. Just like we all "thank you" for the taxes you pay to help others. If you don't like it, leave. Go find a country where no one pays into anything they never use.

You're welcome.

cwazny Mar 04, 2021 03:30 PM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

I just have to say, it's awfully ignorant of you to say that you don't benefit from having a military to protect you. It's also ignorant of you to say that the men and women that served are basically getting "welfare" when they collect the VA benefits that they earned. You obviously don't know it, but VA benefits and welfare are not the same. You should put your ass on the line for $1000 a month. I know, you're going tom say, "They volunteered to do it". That's exactly my point...

cwazny Mar 04, 2021 03:16 PM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

No. You're welcome for my service. Too bad you didn't have it in you to serve. I've never used any kind of VA benefits that I had EARNED. So, no "thank you note" for you. And, are you saying that any country where the citizens pay taxes is a socialist country? I guess every country in the free world is socialist. I like how you commies like to still think you're winning.

Channelfog Mar 04, 2021 01:38 PM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

CWAZNY: Those of us who live above average benefit from a society that supports everyone. Socialized medical, education and basic food are not too much to ask of a supposedly 1st world society. It is achieved in far smaller countries. That you can afford a better education for your children though you are paying for public education is actually a particular privilege. What has worked for us is giving more, feeding hungry people who have lost jobs. This tragedy is multilayered and global. The challenges we find ourselves facing are unprecedented, and our compassion for the forgotten is truly priceless.

sacjon Mar 04, 2021 12:57 PM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

CWANZY - Again WE ALL PAY for benefits, some that we never receive. So, my money is going to your VA benefits, and I won't see a penny of it. You're welcome. You can write me a nice thank you note, if you like.

sacjon Mar 04, 2021 11:27 AM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

CWANZY - Yeah, we ALL pay taxes, that's how this works. We all pay into programs so everyone can benefit. I'm not a vet or a soldier, but my taxes go to support their benefit programs and pay for their meals and weapons while active duty. My house has never been on fire, but my taxes pay for the fire department. See how that works? You might not be a "socialist," but you are benefiting from "socialist" programs, just like we ALL are. If you really make that much money and your kids go to private schools, I'm pretty surprised you don't understand this.

cwazny Mar 04, 2021 11:12 AM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

I PAY taxes for schools and police, even though I sent my kids to private school. I PAY into Social Security, even though I'm only going to get back a small portion of what i actually paid. I DIDN'T get a stimulus check because I make too much. So, where am I a socialist?

ZeroHawk Mar 04, 2021 09:07 AM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

CWANZY i challenge anyone who says this. You like those stimulus checks? what about our library or your social security? what about the police and fired department? Socialist programs. So are the schools. I find it so amusing when people say that and have no idea what it means and probably can't even define socialism on their own...

Channelfog Mar 04, 2021 09:02 AM
Unopened Food Throughout Downtown?

Maybe you care because we feed people every month.....Read my other posts before getting trigger happy.

Pages