Reported by Roger the Scanner Guy

Fire response to Stearns Wharf. FULL SANTA BARBARA CITY FIRE DEPARTMENT RESPONSE...

Roger Feb 25, 2021 08:48 PM
Smoke on Stearns Wharf

FULL SB CITY FIRE RESPONSE ENGINE 72 ON SCENE NOTHING SHOWING ALL OTHER ENGINES STAGING...

Roger Feb 25, 2021 08:51 PM
Smoke on Stearns Wharf

It's a smoldering cigarette between 2 planks engine 72 can handle everyone else back in service..

Roger Feb 25, 2021 08:53 PM
Smoke on Stearns Wharf

They still let people smoke on the Wharf...Roger out..

JB86 Feb 26, 2021 01:18 AM
Smoke on Stearns Wharf

I'm surprised smoking is still allowed on the wharf. I thought that was banned even before the city's public smoking ordinance ban. Or, by 'allowed,' do you mean the ban is not enforced? I can see that, nobody wanting to be the 'cigarette cops.'

a-1614363862 Feb 26, 2021 10:24 AM
Smoke on Stearns Wharf

It is banned, but when's the last time you saw cops on the wharf? To be fair, it's kind of a dumb place to patrol anyway, since they could easily be delayed to an emergency call at the exit bottleneck.

Channelfog Feb 26, 2021 02:35 AM
Smoke on Stearns Wharf

This is not an uncommon event. The wharf is fully equipped with an automatic fire sprinkler system, above and below deck, as well as much monitoring. Another total loss is highly unlikely (I still wonder about the restaurant fire cause). I don't smoke, but defend the rights of smokers out of doors. Unfortunately the wharf has become a city tourist attraction with little other function. I used to tie my kayak, climb the ladder, and sit down to a beer, in spite of being harassed by the orange shirted wharf rats. I've been climbing slimy wharf ladders since I was a small child and miss the days when wharves were for mariners and when the coast guard was quick to offer you a tow.

a-1614369027 Feb 26, 2021 11:50 AM
Smoke on Stearns Wharf

Great points, Channel Fog! And yours points out why this is not a "wharf" but is a "pier" even though its name is Stearns Wharf, a name going back to when it was a wharf. Ships don't tie up there now; occasional small boats do; a pier is simply an extension offshore where there may be fishing at the end. The term "wharf" may include "piers" but it is important to make the distinction. Whether the City will change the name, as it did for the street on the east side whose new name is not memorable to non-Chumash, is an interesting question.

But as for smoking: this should be enforced. There's no smoking in theaters; someone smoking would be asked/told to leave; the same thing should happen on Stearns Wharf, uhhh, Stearns Pier. But it's like so much in this city: a feel-good without any serious consideration of enforcement or subsequent significance. (The effort to change de la Guerra Plaza into a kind of playground is just another example!)

Roger Feb 26, 2021 05:55 AM
Smoke on Stearns Wharf

This incident was called in by a reporting party who left the scene I suspect it was the guilty party who's cigarette fell between the planks before he or she could step on it, they might have been texting at the same time.

imarshell Feb 26, 2021 08:34 AM
Smoke on Stearns Wharf

Smoking is permitted at designated sites on the wharf. There are disposal receptacles provided at those sites.

ZeroHawk Feb 26, 2021 08:56 AM
Smoke on Stearns Wharf

wrong dude, smoking is not ok on the wharf and has not been ok even prior to the City banning it in out door gathering places, essentially any out door area. The wharf is outdoors, right? The wharf is owned by the city, right? The city has a no smoking ordinance, right? Then there you go....kinda simple. I fish the wharf and it's surrounding waters since 1982. Even back then people would wag a finger at you for smoking on the wharf. I used to smoke and wouldn't smoke on the wharf. Just because there are OLD receptacles for cigarette butts, doesn't mean you can smoke there. Show me a phot of one sign saying smoking is OK on the wharf...

LCP112233 Feb 26, 2021 10:10 AM
Smoke on Stearns Wharf

Calm down. You don't have to be such a jerk to make your point.

SBLIFE Feb 26, 2021 10:26 AM
Smoke on Stearns Wharf

He wasn't a jerk, he presented the facts AND gave you a walk through of his thought process.

Babycakes Feb 26, 2021 09:40 AM
Smoke on Stearns Wharf

I think that the city "prefers" that no one smoke on the wharf, but as far as I know it's A-okay and no one will be cited for smoking there. I personally think it's a bad idea to smoke on the wharf, but I spend plenty of time on the wharf (almost daily 4-6 times per week - not on Tuesdays though), and there a lot of smokers puff-puffin' away as they enjoy the view.

Bird Feb 27, 2021 12:38 PM
Smoke on Stearns Wharf

No, babycakes, smoking is banned on the pier and throughout the city in public places.
https://www.santabarbaraca.gov/services/community/smoking/default.asp Rather than just pass feel-good legislation, they need to have enforcement provisions.

CreekMoe Feb 26, 2021 10:36 AM
Smoke on Stearns Wharf

I think that pissing and crapping on city sidewalks is against some law too. or in
comparison , smoking violations are a recent policy - and are not universal. and smoke is harmless to seagulls on the pier. but sanitation dates from the early days of civilization. ie any fire means smoke and is ok usually. plus smoking rules do not apply to the helpless hobo folks. so stop whining. just remember, Hitler did not smoke. and he was a good vegan. or most laws only apply to average people. and not to politicians. so reader's should get used to holding their nose. and put goofy policies to a vote by zip code.