Tourists and Dining During COVID? title=
Photo of State Street last week with outdoor dining banned (Photo by an edhat reader)

By an edhat reader

I'm curious what other readers think. Downtown State Street still has tables and chairs out where people are gathering (maskless) and/or eating takeout from local establishments. Nearly every day there are photos of celebrities visiting Santa Barbara, mostly staying at the new Miramar Resort, which I can only assume a lot of over tourists are also visiting the area.

These are against state and local guidelines. We're in a pandemic and a recent report stated Santa Barbara County's rate of infection is higher than any other county in California. Does anyone else feel the tables/chairs should be removed and hotels should be stricter about people who are clearly not traveling for essential business?

ZeroHawk Jan 22, 2021 09:15 AM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

ive been seeing this more and more around downtown and it's specific businesses that are ignoring the order. most business owners are complying, but the ones that are desparate are risking their employees, their customers and themselves. that is not worth any amount of money. this is no joke people, nor is it OK. outdoor dining isn't acceptable. Why? Because no one follows the rules. dining 6 feet away from each other and sticking with your immediate household/family. these tables and chairs are about 2 to 3 feet apart. no masks. all strangers. mostly tourists. I also see them often down at the harbor not masking and not social distancing. i've reported several businesses and will report anymore that I see breaking the order. Our city/county has the highest infection rate in the state, it's unacceptable for any business owner to think they know better than the health officials. thats ridiculous. Gene, owner of Joes is someone who is abusing this at many of his businesses, ignoring the order, putting up signs saying it's safe and risking his employees and clients to infection. This is not the time to gamble or play with this raging fire...lets all use common sense and not be self serving. if we do and we all pull together, we CAN squash this virus and send it away.

Voice of Reason Jan 22, 2021 01:17 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

What you're all missing is that these businesses aren't reopening (or trying to) and go back to business as normal. They have a ton of safety protocols in place, based on real science, which have been shown, through actual data and supported by the public health agencies, to protect from the spread is covid. No, nothing is perfect, but to claim they are risking the lives of others is simply not true. In addition, no one patroning these businesses are forced to, in fact, no one out walking on State St. is forced to be there and everyone is free to simply stay home as long as they feel they need to.

biguglystick Jan 22, 2021 12:32 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

Thank you, Zero, for reporting. Please keep doing it. It's INSANE, the sheer arrogance and privilege these businesses are displaying during the midst of the worst pandemic of our lives. Santa Barbara has top numbers in our state, which has the worst numbers in the nation. We are DOING SOMETHING WRONG HERE.

sacjon Jan 22, 2021 09:23 AM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

ZERO - I am glad you're down there reporting. I agree 100%! Why should these businesses be allowed to risk the lives of others? My business is shut down tight and we haven't made a penny since March. It sucks, and luckily it's not our only source of income, but we're playing by the rules so we can be part of the solution, not the problem. My kids see how adults function in society and I feel we're teaching them the right lesson.

Crystalandmaui Jan 22, 2021 08:49 AM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

This is the worst of times, I do feel the outdoor dinning was safer then going into a store. But I did see to many people and not 6 feet away from all directions. And yes this did lead to people gathering with people outside of their households. But those people obviously do that anyways, so if you know these people stay clear of them and wear a PROPER MASK. I personally have not gone to the dentist last year, now that’s to close! I have personally got sick from the dentist before, so not chancing that.
The outdoor dinning needs some adjustments, but if it doesn’t happen soon, you can say goodbye to them. Hair salons, too can make adjustments, but you and them keep a mask on at times. I feel with better protocols and this time keeping them, then more businesses can be open. I’ve been in department stores, they clean off the key pad, the counter you touched and their hands every time , more then what the grocery stores will do. This is scary but so is driving a car on our hwy ways but we do it anyways and most of us make it home without a problem, because we follow the rules.
I do know people who don’t follow the rules and they are family members , guess what I stay away from them because I know they are seeing people outside of their family and not wearing mask all time, and some of them have gotten the virus, I can not control them, I talk to them 10 feet away but have my mask on, I do not invite them over because of their choices. Now I do wonder about the number of people they say died of it, my mom got it who is 78, and has all the diseases they say a person like her would die from this and cancer, guess what she did not, she only had a slight cough and nasally for 3 days, no fever ever, makes you wonder, if these older people who died was it because of corona virus or because of their diseases they already had? I don’t want to get it , but I think we’re being lied to also. As always I say wear your mask properly and a safe one and keep a safe distance and carry hand sanitizer.

Voice of Reason Jan 22, 2021 01:30 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

They may not be lying to us by we are being deceived Crystal. While there are certainly tens of thousands, maybe even a hundred or two thousand , who would have gone on to lead much longer lives if not for covid a good portion of the total deaths were either already close to the end or died of with covid rather than from covid. It is true that gunshots, car accidents, and OD deaths are included in the total covid death count. If annually we tracked flu deaths like we're doing covid deaths, we'd regularly see significantly more flu deaths per year in a normal flu season rather than 20-50k. Not minimizing the dangers of covid, I'd rather avoid it myself, but we are being intentionally deceived with the stats (just like Dr. Fauci supposedly did multiple times with masks and herd immunity).

rubyfoo Jan 22, 2021 07:01 AM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

When healthcare workers and first responders can return to some semblance of normality and reasonable levels of stress, it will be time to welcome tourists. Right now now LA is a huge COVID pit, and we'd have to be nuts to welcome them. I'm sorry forry for people who must suffer economically, but this is an extreme situation. It's not yet manageable, and we can't pretend we know how it's going to develop.

PitMix Jan 22, 2021 07:20 AM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

Any suggestions on how to stop them in our Country where people can do pretty much anything that is not a property crime or a crime of direct violence? Maybe you would like to start making citizen arrests?

JB86 Jan 22, 2021 01:33 AM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

Well, Gee, Gavin Nusom didn't seem to think dining semi-outside was a problem, why should I, or any of us?

420722 Jan 22, 2021 12:21 AM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

We have to find a middle ground when it comes to regulation. Banning everything is causing people to gather privately. I’m pretty sure as we near two months of a lockdown and continue to have 350+ cases a day I’m allowed to say it’s a fact that outdoor dinning, hair salons, nails salons and walking around at the zoo had little to nothing to do with this surge. We can’t keep doing things that don’t work. A damn year has gone by and doing the same old thing has gotten us nowhere. We need to move forward not backward or stay stagnant.

shorebird Jan 21, 2021 11:19 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

Off topic. But this is like a “Who’s on First “comedy routine. Delightfully bonkers. I’m going to have to get out a checkers set and give EdHat names to the chips to figure out who is playing on which team.

x01660 Jan 21, 2021 10:02 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record with the Heinlein, but AGAIN, here's something to think about:

“Both for practical reasons and for mathematically verifiable moral reasons, authority and responsibility must be equal - else a balancing takes place as surely as current flows between points of unequal potential. To permit irresponsible authority is to sow disaster; to hold a man responsible for anything he does not control is to behave with blind idiocy. The unlimited democracies were unstable because their citizens were not responsible for the fashion in which they exerted their sovereign authority... other than through the tragic logic of history... No attempt was made to determine whether a voter was socially responsible to the extent of his literally unlimited authority. If he voted the impossible, the disastrous possible happened instead - and responsibility was then forced on him willy-nilly and destroyed both him and his foundationless temple.”

-Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

We live in a SOCIETY, which its lots of people cooperating with one another in order to make things collectively better. And sometimes, you need to make sacrifices that inconvenience your personal comfort, for the well being of the group. If we had worn masks and stayed home and not travelled, we'd be like New Zealand right now. Instead? We've destroyed ourselves and our foundationless temple. People keep going on and on about their rights, but forget they have responsibilities in equal proportion to their rights. Can't have one without the other.

sbdude Jan 21, 2021 08:16 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

I feel that a lot of tourists are also taking a vacation from the virus as well. You see them walking around maskless on Cabrillo or State, often in groups. Restaurants contributed to crowding (when eating outside was legal) and often had tables WAY too close together. Even if we go back to eating and drinking outside, I will stay away from the crowds, at least until I get vaccinated and have achieved a certain level of immunity.

LooseCannon Jan 21, 2021 07:48 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

The three dudes on the left are idiots who should be wearing masks while waiting for their takeout containers. Where were the downtown ambassadors? AOL, apparently. I find the title of this piece very problematic and xenophobic. Are these people TOURISTS? How do we know? Can edhat proof?

LooseCannon Jan 21, 2021 07:41 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

This is click-bait and it's pathetic. The people in that photograph are waiting for take-out containers. I witnessed the scene myself, and some of the eating places on State between Cota and Haley are places I would avoid. They do not represent the vast majority of the restaurants in SB pre-ban-on-outdoor-dining. The current spread can be attributed to indoor gatherings in private homes during Thanksgiving and Christmas. Restaurants can open safely outdoors with appropriate social distancing. I anticipate the day when 20 and 30 year olds are complaining about vaccinated senior citizens happily eating outdoors and shedding virus on those of us who haven't been vaccinated yet. Everyone should get off their high-horses and try to work through this pandemic pragmatically.

a-1611284155 Jan 21, 2021 06:55 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

There is no way I’d eat at any of these places during the current surge. I pretty much wear my mask at all times when away from home (shopping, running, etc). I wish the tourists would stay home for now.

Voice of Reason Jan 22, 2021 07:01 AM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

Wearing a mask while you’re running outdoors is just silly. Mask are useful in certain situations especially indoors but too many are clinging to them like a toddler and his blankie, both giving them false sense of security and unnecessary fear of others who aren’t wearing a mask while walking around outside. Within 6 feet, indoors, without a mask for 15 minutes is considered an exposure by the health departments and CDC, passing someone outside on the street is not. By all means be cautions but seeing people walking, running, biking by themselves with a mask on in an uncrowded residential area...

GeneralTree Jan 21, 2021 05:46 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

There are businesses now not falling the rules - and I've even heard reports of some in-house dining. If you go outdoors in the middle of the day - the mall lots are full and I don't see any businesses limiting capacity. There really isn't much of a lock down. If you compare now to the first stay at home order - no one is staying home. The previous administration chose not to set an example or even try to fight Covid at the federal level. That left the idiot brigade empowered and out causing super spreader events.

AQUAHOLIC Jan 21, 2021 05:25 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

Off topic, but I just heard about this and wondered if anyone else has? It was news to me....

I've just learned from a friend, who lives in another state (Oregon), about "anti-masker" gangs.... folks (covidiots) who literally gang up on people wearing masks, who are minding their own business. The "game" is to confront those who are masked, at close range, in order to intimidate them, then film it for posting on the internet.
Oh gee, how fun.
My friend and her husband were recently the victims of such a confrontation, they tried to diffuse the situation and walk away, but were followed and threatened by the the anti-maskers. Subsequently, she contacted her local law enforcement agency about the incident, inquiring about the legal use of pepper spray for self defense in such incidents. She was told, if threatened, she had a legal right to defend herself with pepper spray.
I was pretty surprised, as I'd never heard of this, until now.

PitMix Jan 22, 2021 07:21 AM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

Just don't use bear spray like the Capitol rioters, that is illegal. Although I have never heard of anyone actually being prosecuted for it.

sblocal1967 Jan 21, 2021 05:03 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

Tourists from LA are not causing the spike. Idiots are causing the spike. Who are these idiots? These are people who travel to places (perhaps Mexico) and get infected by doing large gatherings with no precaution. These people then travel back to SB County and continue to do large gathering with no precautions and infect more people. Don't believe me - look at the demographic data. These people then go to their place of work and also infect people at risk. The other people causing the spike is cases are the college students - but this is a non-issue as none of them get sick and require hospitalization nor do they infect the rest of the community since they live their bubble and no non-idiot will hang out with college students with out taking proper precautions. All the SB County Health Dept needs to do is quit being politically correct and call it like it is. Identify who these idiots and tell us how to avoid them. Everyone can then quit being so paranoid and we can get back to a normal way of life.

Basicinfo805 Jan 22, 2021 06:52 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

Thumbs down. You're making no sense at all "SBLOCAL" (your moniker is embarassing to me as well).

sblocal1967 Jan 21, 2021 07:16 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

Not blaming Mexico at all - blaming the idiots visiting there and then infecting others but not taking proper precautions. Follow the data.

letmego Jan 21, 2021 04:58 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

The fascinating point out of all this is the discussion that it's "all private gatherings". Current PHD data shows that it's approximately 62% private gatherings (known contact) and 38% community spread (unknown contact), not including the handful of travel cases and the 9000+ "unknown" (aka, didn't respond to contact tracers).

So what ARE the 38%?

And also, when it comes to discussing whether comments on edhat change anyone's minds ... what about new information? Like the new variants that are more easily spread? Does that change anyone's minds?

a-1611276807 Jan 21, 2021 04:53 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

False. There is no evidence that vaccination or a prior bout keeps you from spreading the virus.

Voice of Reason Jan 22, 2021 07:06 AM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

Again, if that is true and the vaccine just reduces symptoms than what the hell are we doing? That means we’ll always have covid to deal with, just like the flu, and we need to learn how to go about our lives , go to school , go to restaurants with yet another dangerous virus out there. Im not positive and don’t have time to pull articles now but I don’t believe the 95% efficacy is just symptom reduction.

a-1611281895 Jan 21, 2021 06:18 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

I know you don't register facts you don't like, but all you have to do is read about the various vaccines to know that they may keep you from having severe symptoms, but there is as yet no evidence that they keep you from asymptomatic infections and spreading the virus. That's why the guidance is to continue mask wearing. But, you'll persist with the Big Lie.

bumblebee Jan 21, 2021 04:38 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

A some point you are going to have to open businesses back up. Currently, there are at least 50,000 people in this county that have some level of immunity through either having had the virus or having been vaccinated. That number will grow daily. There is no reason those people can't go out and dine outside-they won't get infected nor will they infect anyone.

pstarSR Jan 22, 2021 02:12 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

yes actually there is, please read up on the data BEFORE making asinine suggestions. even if you have the FIRST shot of the vaccine, you can still transmit to someone that has not had it.

Basicinfo805 Jan 21, 2021 04:09 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

Good point Pit, I agree completely. We're locked in at this point because people who listen have done so and those who don't listen do what they want. I think it's impossible to convince or force the last few percentiles to do the right thing, kind of like vaccination. I don't think there's much value for people here to be arguing about it.
We'll have to let the chips fall where they may, waiting for availability of vaccine from the slow ass government. At least for those who believe in vaccines and herd immunity. Those that don't you'll probably be alright, or not. Wait and see.

Let's hope we get some rain next week.

PitMix Jan 21, 2021 03:28 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

Raise your hand if the comments on EH have changed your mind on any of this. I don't see any evidence that people have moved from their positions. If that is the case, then what is the point of posting? Seems like the definition of insanity to me, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

sacjon Jan 22, 2021 02:29 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

JB86 - go check out IV, go check out the parties still happening around town, go check out the groups of people hanging out at Girsh park. Yeah, Goleta is pretty good, but only because we don't have State st. out here.

JB86 Jan 22, 2021 01:03 AM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

sacjon. I don't see that here in Goleta; virtually everyone is wearing a mask and distancing. Where is it you see people ignoring the rules?

Voice of Reason Jan 21, 2021 04:40 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

Sac, a lot of these rules aren't enforceable, like private gatherings in peoples homes (and for very good reason). There is no law that allows the quarantine and isolation of healthy people. You need people to voluntarily comply with these recommendations, which many did back in spring/early summer. But then politics become involved, politicians on both sides incited division for their own political non-covid agenda, they were no longer "following the science", protests / riots were normalized and allowed while millions of jobs were lost due to the governments arbitrary restrictions all leading to many marginalized sections of our society to no longer complying, both by choice and by necessity.

SBTownie Jan 21, 2021 04:29 PM
Tourists and Dining During COVID?

Ha, Pit. Thanks for bringing me down to earth. Why am I even wasting my time? Good points you make.

Pages