Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights title=
Newly installed LED Streetlights for the pilot study

Source: City of Goleta

The City of Goleta has installed new Light-Emitting Diode (LED) streetlights as part of a pilot study to test four different types of LED streetlights. The goal of the program will be to evaluate and select one LED streetlight to be used for the City’s LED Street Lighting Project that will replace more than 1,300 High-Pressure Sodium (HPS) streetlight fixtures with new energy efficient LED streetlights. The new lights will save the City money, require less maintenance, provide clearer lighting and are better for the environment.

City of Goleta Deputy Public Works Director James Campero said, “The Department of Public Works is excited to move into the pilot study and design phase of the LED Street Lighting Project. We encourage residents to review the various LED streetlights installed with the pilot study and provide feedback. This will help staff pick the best LED streetlight to use.”

Here is how you can participate. Through the rest of January, go to the Cannon Green Drive neighborhood in western Goleta and check out the fixtures on display along Davenport Road, Freeman Place, and Elmhurst Place as shown in the attached map. The lights will come on around sunset. Once you have had a chance to check out the different types of streetlights, make sure to give us your feedback. Go tohttps://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GoletaLED.

For questions or more information, contact City Project Manager Michael Winnewisser at [email protected] or (805) 690-5120.

LED streetlight pilot study locations map - click here for a larger map.

RHS Jan 17, 2021 10:14 AM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

Here's a study that says improved outdoor lighting reduces crime signficantly: https://urbanlabs.uchicago.edu/projects/crime-lights-study
The only study I saw saying differently was apparently circulated by folks advocating for reduced urban lighting to allow us to see the night sky better. It certainly seems intuitive that, esp in these days of cctv and home outdoor cameras, improved lighting would cause any premeditated crime to be reduced in that area.

PitMix Jan 16, 2021 10:50 PM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

This seems like another street tree situation to me. Decisions are being made for us about our immediate environment which may not be helpful. Maybe this will push us along on the no streetlight path that SBTownie referred to. Just think of all of the energy that we could stop using, especially because it can't come from solar unless there is solar storage available.

a-1610733597 Jan 15, 2021 09:59 AM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

Is there an Optometrist in the house? Shielding is critically important for people trying to protect eyes from excessive light--older people with issues. Creates sleep disturbance and requires real heavy curtains to block it if even possible. It is like a full moon all the time? Um? Didn't that make you mad? Impact on natural world? Science always has good answers and avoids good questions--government sometimes avoids both. They do look like cobras intent on a hit.

Takane Jan 15, 2021 09:03 AM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

It's all about color temperature and not cheaping out. In photography I think it's 5500 or 5300 Kelvin (Tungsten) imitates a common light bulb or candle. The cheaper LEDs have a flicker effect and the color temperature is off. The right LED can perfectly mimic a normal incandescent light bulb.

SBTownie Jan 15, 2021 09:28 AM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

Color temperature definitely helps and you're right there are EXCELLENT LEDs available. I own some in my home from Waveform and another company whose name I can't recall. They specialize in offering the highest CRI available to the consumer market far surpassing anything you can get at Home Depot, ACE, etc. That said, LED light is NOT the same as incandescent or other forms of lighting. Numerous studies show that even using warm, correct color temperature lights still has profound effects on insects' behavior and ability to feed, migrate, reproduce, etc. LED light also has the bizarre phenomenon (which I note above in a comment to Pit) of being much brighter even at identical lumen ratings as other light sources.

CPlocal Jan 14, 2021 05:14 PM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

One has been installed in my neighborhood as a replacement bulb and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Every time I turn the corner, my eyes are drawn to the bright blue light in the sky. It has such an artificial look. I prefer the softer, yellow lights, too. And don't get me started on leaf blowers...

SBTownie Jan 14, 2021 08:16 PM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

I find that when I'm driving, the lights are SO bright and their glow so concentrated in specific areas, that it's actually hard to maintain a good grasp of overall vision. I am constantly distracted by them which was never the case with sodium lights.

patrick Jan 14, 2021 04:04 PM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

I think it is great that they are asking. I live in SB, and our city replaced our local street light a couple of years ago. The new LED one has a comfortable color temperature (not too blue nor too yellow), but it wasn't shielded very well. My wife notified the city and they installed a shield that keeps it from plasting diagonally across the street into our bedroom. Over all, we are happy with it (although we' actually prefer no street lights at all).

Bird Jan 15, 2021 09:47 AM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

Thanks, Townie @924am. The city of Santa Barbara installed 2 LEDs on my street --- I was lucky that there's a large tree in front of my house that blocks most of the light from my yard. My neighbor seems to like it well enough because it protects his vehicles. A neighbor two doors down has one right in front of her house, no tree - she told the city years ago she wanted only cement on the pathway and they obliged. The result now is that LED lights up her house, including her bedroom as though it were in NYC. Before there was gentle lighting and now in this non-business, high traffic street, it's hard to see the stars.

A bottom line is that Goletans should feel lucky they do not have a transportation czar as Rob Dayton who pays little to no attention to residents' ideas and wishes.

SBTownie Jan 15, 2021 09:24 AM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

Bird, yes, there is truth that blue light is damaging to circadian rhythms in both animals and people. However, there are multiple studies showing that color temperature of LEDs and using "warmer" lights does nothing to minimize the damage done to insect colonies - they are affected by the presence of LED light regardless of temperature. This was contrary to what researchers expected to find, assuming that "blue light" would be worse. If you see my comment to PitMix also, you can see that there is a very real issue with LED light being distinctly brighter than other forms of lighting regardless of matching lumens. LED is awesome technology, unfortunately it's been very poorly used for street lighting, with little regard for citizens or the environment and cost cutting (under the guise [whether sincerely believed or not] of being better for the environment because of lower energy use) as the primary driver.

Bird Jan 15, 2021 09:01 AM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

I am interested in your comment about "blue light". Is it the same quality as from a computer screen (I'd guess so) and, if so, there are health/vision concerns about it. Here's a description, https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side. If this is relevant, then I would think you'd have a strong argument to Edison and the County against having that LED luminaire by your house.

a-1610688592 Jan 14, 2021 09:29 PM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

Yes, but any electrical engineer could help choose one without light bleed. The problem with the ones installed in City of SB neighborhoods was that the electric utility company just selected and installed whatever they wanted. Therefore, they had to come back and add the shields after the fact.

macpuzl Jan 14, 2021 04:23 PM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

I'm in an unincorporated area of the county, and had a streetlight with a huge amount of light trespass onto my windows, from one of the old cobra-head luminaires.

I contacted the county, which told me that it was Edison's responsibility. Edison tried to foist it back on the county. The Edison phone, web, and email feedbacks were non-responsive. After 6 months of back and forth, I finally wrote a letter to the Edison VP in charge of Residential Service, and they changed the light to a LED luminaire that had much better shielding, and was not overly blue.

Alas, seven months after that, Edison came around and replaced it with another LED luminaire that was many times brighter and bluer. All the newly planted street trees are confused by the continuous daytime-level lighting, and are notably lopsided. It's at least shielded enough that it isn't coming in my windows.

macpuzl Jan 14, 2021 03:34 PM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

The major problems with LEDs are that many of them emit a lot of blue light, and that often higher levels of lighting are installed because they are cheaper. If they are poorly shielded, as shown in the photo above, they cause huge amounts of light trespass.

Lower temperature LEDs, those tending to look more yellowish in color, are better for the environment and have fewer effects on human health as far as interfering with sleep patterns.

Ahchooo Jan 14, 2021 02:53 PM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

It’s not clear to me: are the options actually different types of LEDs, or just the fixtures that hold them? Different qualities of light? I don’t live in Goleta so I won’t participate, but I hope a lot of people do give their input. I prefer night to be dark, except at intersections.

SBZZ Jan 14, 2021 01:32 PM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

LED is a great technology but its awesomeness does not justify its use everywhere, especially for streetlights - piercing, icy glare. Remember the postings on Ed several months ago about a Westside resident getting zapped by a new LED street light? If they can shield the light so it only illuminates the street - great, but good luck with that.

PitMix Jan 14, 2021 01:15 PM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

I know they swear that the LED lights are no brighter than the lights they replace, but whatever they are measuring is not what the human eye sees. I bought some LED lights from HD to replace some bulbs and chose the "daylight" style, and I turned my kitchen into a giant bug zapper light emitter. Really ugly.

SBTownie Jan 14, 2021 08:13 PM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

Pit, you are exactly right. You can read about this phenomenon in this paper: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022407313004792 Summary says: "Under visual adaptation levels relevant to observing the night sky, namely with dark-adapted (scotopic) vision, blue-rich (“white”) sources produce a dramatically greater sky brightness than yellow-rich sources. High correlated color temperature LEDs and metal halide sources produce a visual brightness up to 8× brighter than low-pressure sodium and 3× brighter than high-pressure sodium when matched lumen-for-lumen and observed nearby. Though the sky brightness arising from blue-rich sources decreases more strongly with distance, the visual sky glow resulting from such sources remains significantly brighter than from yellow sources out to the limits of this study at 300 km."

SBTownie Jan 14, 2021 11:40 AM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

Oh, god. Please save us from the horror. We recently took a nighttime drive just for fun and I had forgotten how totally awful LED lights are. We're lucky to live on a dark street. I hate the LED lighting. They cast such a bright glow, houses unlucky enough to be in their glare are lit up like a baseball diamond at night. The cool light is also very narrow, meaning due to the LEDs it doesn't disperse like traditional lighting. The effect is like driving through a patch of pitch black, then a patch of glaring light. it actually makes it hard to see. If I lived near one of these things I'd consider vandalism to put it out. We almost bought a house a few years ago that we then realized had a horrific LED right outside the master bedroom window. We parked outside at night and saw the house lit up like it was a movie set. I HATE these lights and they are a HUGE contributor to light pollution, which is a major problem for wild animals and especially insects who rely on darkness for survival. Please read about light pollution issues and insect population collapse. This is NOT a minor issue and deserves to be taken seriously. Why do we need lights off of major roads anyway? Here is a good article for those interested: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/light-pollution-contributes-insect-apocalypse-180973642/

Minibeast Jan 14, 2021 04:43 PM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

SBTOWNIE. With you on this 100%. No reason to have things lit up like baseball fields or tennis courts at night. As an avid stargazer and nighttime walker, I loathe the "new" lighting being installed in place of the softer, yellow, less invasive street lights. Sadly, what it all comes down to with any municipal agency is saving money. There's a shocking amount of ignorance re: light pollution and its adverse affects on us all. I hold great admiration for any and all who "get it" when it comes to glaring street/home lighting.

SBTownie Jan 14, 2021 01:08 PM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

@SHMONK for your interest, I have excerpted a paywalled Washington Post article summary for you:
A 2008 review of 13 published studies on street lighting and crime found mixed evidence to support a connection: Studies in most American cities showed little to no effect of lighting on crime, while crime rates in British cities decreased when lighting increased.
More recently, a 2015 study of nighttime lighting practices in England and Wales found no evidence that dimming or turning off streetlights at night affected crime rates or vehicle accidents. In fact, it turned up some weak evidence that dimming lights was related to an aggregate reduction in overall crime.
A 1997 National Institute of Justice report to Congress concluded that “we can have very little confidence that improved lighting prevents crime, particularly since we do not know if offenders use lighting to their advantage.” Yes, you heard that right: Increased lighting may be beneficial to would-be criminals, in that it may help them see what they're doing.
A 2000 evaluation of a Chicago project to “boost lighting levels in alleys across the city as a tool for public safety and fighting crime” found that, in fact, criminal offenses increased in more well-lit areas, relative to controls.
A 1991 study of lighting in London in the 1980s found that “on a broad scale, better street lighting has had little or no effect on crime.”

SBTownie Jan 14, 2021 01:05 PM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

Thank you for pointing that out, Hola, and I DO totally agree with you. I think it is awesome Goleta is asking for input from residents. What I don't think is being considered (because how many things can people be experts in?) is light pollution for the environment. Residents may not be able to accurately discern this. I envision LED salesmen meeting with city councils and staffers telling them all of this is great for the environment, when in reality, it just really isn't. It can be done right, but in my assessment of almost every municipality I am aware of, it almost never is.

SBTownie Jan 14, 2021 01:03 PM
Public Assistance Requested to Help Goleta Choose New LED Streetlights

@SHMONK There is no actual evidence that lighting reduces crime - in fact there is some suggesting the opposite. One of the seminal studies first claiming this decades ago was clearly refuted years later in a follow-up. I've got a degree in this stuff. Urban studies. ;)