Chick-fil-A Traffic title=

Photos by Josh B.

New traffic signs installed on Upper State Street in Santa Barbara stating, "Illegal to Block Street Waiting for Drive Thru" and "No Stopping on Sidewalk."

APHRODITE Jan 13, 2021 01:42 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

It should be on the store to correct this (or be shut down until they do) because the drivers are not going to obey the sign as they should. Alas, politeness and courtesy would go such a long way--and be appreciated.

sacjon Jan 13, 2021 02:11 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

CHILLIN - if you're serious here, nice try. But now I'm super curious....

ChillinGrillin Jan 13, 2021 02:23 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

Help SacJon I'm being repressed!

sacjon Jan 13, 2021 02:36 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

Chillingrillin - grill me some brisket and then maybe we can discuss help....

S.B.Dutchman Jan 13, 2021 02:19 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

So, post a cop there with a thick ticket book, people will soon get the message and not block the street.

or better yet, pull the permit for the drive thru....

PitMix Jan 13, 2021 02:23 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

I rode my bike through there at lunchtime and saw the long line. I ended up behind a cop and thought, they'll tell the people to stop blocking traffic. But no, they just went around like everyone else and kept going. City really loves their tax revenue.

CS805 Jan 13, 2021 02:50 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

I was pretty sure a similar sign was already there and checking Google Street View, it used to say no waiting for Parking Lot, now it's been no waiting for Drive Through.

Babycakes Jan 13, 2021 03:01 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

My brother was following his daughter when she turned right onto State Street from Hitchcock. Oh no, he followed her directly into a line of traffic. Neither my brother nor his daughter had any intention of going to CFA - they simply got caught in traffic for a couple of minutes. Anyone who assumes that all of that traffic is for CFA is misinformed. And to those of you who want to give tickets out so freely, think again as it's not illegal to be stuck in traffic through no fault of your own. I do understand though as CFAs food is awesome for many people (ranked as the #1 restaurant chain in the USA for at least six years in a row).

Sail380 Jan 13, 2021 03:07 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

City should bend over backwards to come up with a better solution. Like Chic-Fil- A or not, shutting down the city's most popular drive through. Putting more people on unemployment wont help anyone.

DBD Jan 13, 2021 04:25 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

How much of this issue is due to actual traffic, vs the fact that its chick-fil-a traffic? 10% to 90%?

pstarSR Jan 14, 2021 08:05 AM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

90% chik traffic, waiting on the street for a business is never good for traffic. plus this was never a problem area till they arrived

S.B.Dutchman Jan 13, 2021 05:00 PM

The city has very few drive thru windows, This one was built in the late 70's
as a Burger King when there was much less traffic. I have nothing against
the business there now.

Now since this is proving to be a traffic problem on a regular basis, the drive thru permit
should be reviewed. Revamp the layout or eliminate it. No need to close the business.

Or as I said before Start issuing citations, that will make the city more $$ than the tax
the drive thru generates now LOL.

Paxateur Jan 13, 2021 05:37 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

Will never support a business that aligns itself with fundamentalist evangelical viewpoints that value religiously incited intolerance and hatred. Those of you who do need a mirror that tells you the truth.

a-1610591914 Jan 13, 2021 06:38 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

6:24 pm - Think for a moment on the idea that if a corporation favored the repression of people who supported bigotry and couldn't construct a valid sentence in English, you might not feel inclined to patronize them.

a-1610639137 Jan 14, 2021 07:45 AM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

Sometimes a religious experience is the best one, the actually thing that makes it taste better ...Don't eat there if you don't like blessed food and good will --find a place where haters of others and think they are better can eat and grouse. Hey, chickens must be endangered by now and battered? Egad.
Christian make the best servers of good will? Why not join in?

Curmudgeon Jan 13, 2021 06:30 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

City planners and business architects partially to blame. If a drive thru is anticipated the pickup window should be located at the farthest point away from the driveway entrance thus creating the longest drive thru line possible on a given property. Would not have fully solved this problem, but would have helped considerably.

forrealnews Jan 13, 2021 06:32 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

Oh weird...after a year of Covid, it's so surprising that people don't follow rules unless they are enforced.

BDM 1868 Jan 13, 2021 07:09 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

Can't we all just get along! Rodney King.

Always_Running Jan 13, 2021 07:28 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

A massive COVID outbreak and they close for two and a half weeks. On day one/two everyone craving the food again or hoping the employees have immunity and won’t serve infected food.

d8vanilla Jan 13, 2021 07:30 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

And, what about the drivers that get stuck in that line, even though they are NOT getting any food there?? They might get a ticket also, unless there's a stipulation with the law.... Then, the rest of them that are actually waiting in line to get food, could just say they got stuck in the line and are not getting food... !!!!

a-1610597063 Jan 13, 2021 08:04 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

The one stopped at the driveway entrance can be ticketed. The ones behind will see that and pretend they weren’t coming in to Chick and keep going, but that’s okay. They’ll get the message. And if the cops go there often enough, it will happen again and again until word gets out: keep driving!

Getoffmylawn Jan 13, 2021 07:46 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

People are dumb and you can't fix it. Avoid that area during lunch hour.

S.B.Dutchman Jan 13, 2021 08:17 PM

@D8
The first car blocking the sidewalk and the car behind that blocking the traffic lane get cited.
The cars behind are then free to continue on their way.
If the next choose to block traffic and wait in the lane a cite is issued, and so on.
Simple enough, stop on the sidewalk or in the traffic lane get a citation or keep moving.
soon enough

OR Imagine this, get out of your car and get your order, then be on your way......

pstarSR Jan 14, 2021 08:14 AM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

says the guy who posted about it, on the actual post.

JustAguy Jan 13, 2021 09:18 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

All politics and public safety aside, they make a damn fine chicken sandwich.

Shasta Guy Jan 13, 2021 09:45 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

It must be pretty tasty food for people to line up for it like that!

Ahchooo Jan 14, 2021 08:38 AM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

There’s no accounting for taste. I ate there once and won’t go back.

d8vanilla Jan 13, 2021 09:49 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

I've been stuck behind that line, and with traffic in the other lane, kept me from moving over. The first time I got stuck, I didn't know what was going on, stayed in that lane, till I got closer...... NOW, I avoid that lane when I'm driving in that area,.

winter Jan 13, 2021 10:20 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

I think it is the problem of the owners...
Nothing against the food chain but they should have known they would have had an In and Out type of following. They have the space, and are organized...
Also, I have heard for a long time now that the Old Outback, and the closed Dennys, on Calle Real have had trouble leasing to a big name...Applebee's, TGIF, Cracker Barrel, etc...
They send teams out...and not enough parking in both locations...don't know if that's true...but it makes sense to scope out traffic flow, parking, etc...

sbmh2015 Jan 13, 2021 10:21 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

Until Santa Barbara decides to enforce the messages on these signs, these are useless. No smoking signs around town. No enforcement. People don't abide. No riding bikes in shoreline park. No enforcement. People do it every day. Wear your mask. No enforcement. Cases skyrocketing. This is the fault of the City of Santa Barbara. Solely on them

pstarSR Jan 14, 2021 08:10 AM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

let me help a bit from experience. Skate boarding is a crime on state street, do they enforce it? yes/ no, in order to actually get cited for an infraction you have to be advised that it is illegal ( hence signs on state street saying skateboarding on is prohibited). no smoking in public, and this no stopping in the street sign, GIVES the police EVERY RIGHT to cite you. if the sign wasnt there, people would say " I didnt know I couldnt do that....." so.... using our brain a bit, we can see why signs are posted. otherwise, every jackass blocking this street could argue out of the ticket.

mesoknitty Jan 14, 2021 06:54 AM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

um, l live nearby. That sign is not new.

SBWalkers Jan 14, 2021 07:22 AM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

There is the same problem on Haley in the driveway into the 99cent store parking lot. Signs clearly say to not stop in street or block sidewalk... no workie, people continue to block both. The really annoying issue is right across the street is the city parking lot. If people weren't soooo freakin lazy they could park there and walk the short block to the store. Lazy arses...

running_mike Jan 14, 2021 08:08 AM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

These signs have been there for quite a while now.

Ahlia Jan 14, 2021 08:10 AM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

I've lived in this neighborhood for more than 30 years. The city 'continues' to approve big developments in this already very congested area where there are "no alternative access streets !" in the same block that Jack-In- Box and the car wash also have drive-thrus. There are frequent street repairs, tree maintenance and delivery trucks that park in the street (w/their diesel engine fumes running :-( ) while they unload. At the other end of Hitchcock large semis park in the middle of the street to unload vehicles. Chik-fil-A is the straw that breaks the back of this traffic problem and turns it into a log jam nightmare. You are wise to avoid using this part of town if you don't "have to" like I do :-(

SBZZ Jan 14, 2021 08:59 AM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

Are they legitimate signs installed by SB City? If not, maybe that is why there is no enforcement by the police.

a-1610648035 Jan 14, 2021 10:13 AM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

These do not appear to be city signs. City parking signs contain their identity. If these are put up by the restaurant they are illegal as hell. But no one can complain about getting a ticket for blocking traffic since that does not require posting to be enforced.

pstarSR Jan 15, 2021 01:18 PM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

both of you are false, those are city signs.

bosco Jan 14, 2021 09:09 AM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

Can someone legitimately explain to me why it's so popular? I ate there once to see what the hype was. The food tastes like every other fast food place. The same crappy quality and high price. It's no different than Jack in the box, McDonalds, etc. I just don't get it. I get the religious/conservative element, but that can't surely be why so many people go there right?

ZeroHawk Jan 14, 2021 09:56 AM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

Bosco i'm with you....it's just fried fat and poor quality processed (overly processed) food. I tried it a few times and think it's nasty. I'll pay a few $ more and get me some Sushi and teriyaki down at the harbor....or even Hana Kitchen. Way healthier alternative...

HOUSER01 Jan 14, 2021 09:17 AM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

Just a few days ago, it took me 8 seconds to put on my blinker, look in my side mirror and change into the center lane. What a huge inconvenience!!!! I was late for somewhere I didn't have to be. I flipped off the entire line of cars to boot. How dare these people inconvenience me just to get there spoiled kids chicken nuggets.

sfgac055 Jan 14, 2021 09:50 AM
Chick-fil-A Traffic

This is also an issue at the drive thru Starbucks at Turnpike/Calle Real.

Pages