By an edhat reader

Does anyone know why the church bells ring at Our Lady of Sorrows on State & Anacapa every night at 6pm?  Is that time of some holy significance?  I’m not religious but I’d like to know!

Basicinfo805 Dec 05, 2020 08:58 PM
Church Bells Ringing?

Hmm...religion, good or not? That's a great question. It is. I vote no.

snag Dec 05, 2020 06:18 PM
Church Bells Ringing?

Yes, it is The Angelus. I hear the mission bells several times daily. They have been ringing for over two hundred years. They give me comfort always, whether we are celebrating the Christmas holidays, or during a pandemic times, or any other time.
“The Angel of the Lord declared into Mary. And she conceived of the Holy Spirit...”

dukemunson Dec 05, 2020 08:33 PM
Church Bells Ringing?

I didn’t say it was all good... in fact I clarified it pretty hard that a ton of crappy things have Been done in the name of religion. But generally speaking... it’s hard to argue with the immense societal good of religion through time... pretty much any religion!!! Sure you can take nutty examples through time and argue... and hey Edhats a more fun spot then a history term paper... But with the capacity to zoom out...it’s clearly been helpful/positive

a-1607225850 Dec 05, 2020 07:37 PM
Church Bells Ringing?

Benefits we're reaping in the form of people who think evidence is unnecessary and can be ignored, magic is everywhere, and reality is conditional. Yup, one of the benefits of all that is a pandemic replete with anti-vaxxers.

dukemunson Dec 05, 2020 07:05 PM
Church Bells Ringing?

Actually most anthropologists would say that, by and large, religion in all its forms has been net positive for mankind and its various civilizations. Have terrible things been done in the name of god/Allah/etc... of course... but... by and large, wether you believe in something (or nothing!!!), religion has had a positive effect on mankind... benefits we’re reaping today...

RHS Dec 05, 2020 06:32 PM
Church Bells Ringing?

SNAG--what balderdash. More evil has been done in the name of religion than any other cause. I do not believe that Jesus was the product of a virgin birth any more than I believe that Mohamed ascended to heaven on his horse. This sort of stuff just leaves people without the spunk and courage to challenge their oppressors. Fight back.

Andrea Smith Dec 05, 2020 09:38 AM
Church Bells Ringing?

People think it's destructive to pray? Wow. No wonder we are in the state we are in. I love the sound of the Mission Bell. And the courthouse clock too.

a-1607186274 Dec 05, 2020 08:37 AM
Church Bells Ringing?

The Angelus bell is a custom to stop and pray 3 times a day, 6am, noon, 6pm. At parochial school on the playground at noon when the church bells rang, all the children went down on one knee to pray then returned to play. So as not to disturb others, I believe the bells no longer ring 3 times a day.

a-1607186090 Dec 05, 2020 08:34 AM
Church Bells Ringing?

The defense of the bells would be somewhat different, one suspects, if the noise were the call to prayer from a muslim temple.

willow Dec 05, 2020 07:31 AM
Church Bells Ringing?

I have lived near the Mission for almost thirty years. I am not religious, but think the sound is lovely. I do not hear the bells as a reminder to do anything but appreciate where I live. Except for the 6 am ringing, which I have always considered my wake up call.

a-1607181687 Dec 05, 2020 07:21 AM
Church Bells Ringing?

It's a privilege to be within the hearing distance of, in my case, the Mission bells, even though am not religious. It can be a pleasant reminder of whatever one wishes to think .

Jence Dec 04, 2020 11:27 PM
Church Bells Ringing?

Geez, it was just a polite query! I don’t know either. I assumed it was the stone church on the corner of Arrellaga and State. I would like to know as well! Thanks for the question.

S.B.Dutchman Dec 04, 2020 11:03 PM
Church Bells Ringing?

church bells ring all over the world for various reasons or on the hour. should have thought about that before you moved near the church, accept it or move.

ahhhh56 Dec 05, 2020 09:12 AM
Church Bells Ringing?

Why do you assume that the question poster was objecting to the bells? The message suggests simple curiosity, not complaint.

JoggerJoe Dec 04, 2020 04:34 PM
Church Bells Ringing?

As of September 2020 the Bells at 6pm are to remember those who have died or are suffering from Covid 19

RockwellBAD2 Dec 04, 2020 12:15 PM
Church Bells Ringing?

I believe the Santa Barbara Mission bells also ring at the regular time of 6:00 PM. My understanding is that the bell ringing is a reminder for people to pray.

doulie Dec 04, 2020 06:34 PM
Church Bells Ringing?

4505 - Why not simply accept the ringing as a reminder that it is six o'clock and let it go?

a-1607134505 Dec 04, 2020 06:15 PM
Church Bells Ringing?

Glad I don't live near the mission if they think they have the right to "remind people to pray" by disturbing the privacy of those of us who think it a destructive idea.