By Roger the Scanner Guy

An illegal camping/warming fire has been reported on Loma Alta. SBPD and Engine 71 are on the scene of the illegal campfire.

Sensibly Common Nov 22, 2020 07:35 PM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

Scary place for a fire, it could rip up the hill quickly.

santabarbaraJRT Nov 22, 2020 07:44 PM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

we live 600 feet from this they have ankle bracelets and are often fully naked high and bloody. They need to go now no empathy for this threatening our homes and stealing. They were using power tools and chain saws three days ago cutting down trees to strap up tarps. Leave. Go. NOW

JB86 Nov 22, 2020 09:27 PM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

Yup, they steal tools from Home Depot and other places, including landscapers unfortunate enough to leave tools in their trucks.

biguglystick Nov 23, 2020 10:55 AM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

WHY aren't our police, you know, the ones that everyone is so keen on funding with our tax dollars NOT addressing this NOW??? I see enormous homeless camps with the most insane messes, like an explosion, on the side of our roads, freeways and businesses. Time to clean it up. What are we paying them for?

Roger Nov 24, 2020 10:39 AM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

They are cleaning up the beach and moving them out of there coming to a back yard near you.

JB86 Nov 22, 2020 08:00 PM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

At least Goleta cleared out some of the undergrowth around some of the camps between 101 and the RR tracks. SB City might consider that, at least to mitigate fire risk. Now we can actually see how many there are, but they remain undisturbed due to the CA COVID rules.

Roger Nov 23, 2020 07:51 AM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

I guess when half the town burns down they will do something about it.

CoastWatch Nov 23, 2020 08:26 AM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

EVERY time T.V. Hill has burned, it's due to the vagrants starting the fires. That hill is FULL of needles , trash and human bio-waste. The Fire Dept should just let if burn out and protect the surrounding structures

CMKR Nov 23, 2020 08:41 AM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

Malibu is forcibly removing the camps but yet we cannot...the town will be destroyed by these people and our "leaders" remain silent. And all anyone can think to do is come after me when I point this out. So go ahead… And enjoy your wonderful town while you can.

CMKR Nov 23, 2020 08:43 AM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

And no one even brings up the issue of selective prosecution… If I or any other upstanding citizen of this community starts a fire, we will be arrested and prosecuted for arson, whereas these people are allowed to run roughshod over the whole area and threaten lives and property without any sort of consequences at all. WTF

fitz Nov 23, 2020 09:35 AM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

I think we are the only community in the state that allows the homeless to set up right ON the freeway. Look at the garden street northbound exit. This thing about not clearing out the camps during covid makes no sense. If I am in my car with the windows down, I come within 6 feet of those panhandling at the off ramps or at the intersections. When they are careening up and down our streets while being drunk or high, it is hard to keep everyone outside of the 6 ft. separation. If their tents are in our parks and on the waterfront, it is very difficult to keep 6 ft. away. People and families now will just stay away, and that includes tourists. Welcome to Santa Barbara, home of filthy freeways and hapless homeless.

LCP112233 Nov 23, 2020 10:27 AM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

Covid is just the excuse of the day for not doing something about the vagrants.

biguglystick Nov 23, 2020 10:57 AM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

LCP, agreed. It's an unpleasant job, and the cops don't want to do it. Excuses, excuses. Time to CLEAN IT UP!

LCP112233 Nov 23, 2020 01:43 PM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

Yup. Everyone has excuses and the situation only gets worse. Really sad state of affairs.

sacjon Nov 23, 2020 11:41 AM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

Roger - I thought you hated Trump? Mayor? Could be interesting!

NostraChumash Nov 23, 2020 12:16 PM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

What could a President say or do, that has not been tried?.
The simple solution, is to enforce upon the enforcers, to perform their jobs with diligence..not the lacksidaisy attitudes seen today.
Every law, ord, rule & signage, is already in place for community guidance..
Now they simply( & for the past 20yrs) need to be enforced.

Roger Nov 23, 2020 12:44 PM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

I do but he'd be the best Mayor in the whole world wouldn't he...Those Proud Boys they would help clean up the city..He should start as Mayor and work his way up to President.

bosco Nov 23, 2020 01:44 PM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

The COVID excuse needs to stop. The camps have been out of control since this all began back in March. It's getting bad again at East Beach. By now, the CDC and CDPH should realize that the rules established back in March need to be revised. Our leadership needs to start advocating for the State Public Health to update the guidelines and start enforcing no camping rules again. I know for a fact there has been no COVID outbreak in the local homeless community. Some idiot made this rule up and now no one seems to have the guts to push back on it.

Luvaduck Nov 23, 2020 03:55 PM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

Those stealing or using stolen power tools are obviously able-bodied. Arrest them and put them on work details. House them in secure barracks; no need to make them comfortable. Provide minimal but healthful food at 0600, noon and 1800. If they want better living circumstances, they can move on when they've served their terms. We have become attractive to vagrants from other states. They are not "homeless" they are drifters, bums, and often theives.

Roger Nov 24, 2020 06:47 AM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

They don't do that anymore work details? They would hurt themselves and sue..One of these days people will probably start taking the law into their own hands again they have Do it yourself check outs at the store too..

Roger Nov 23, 2020 04:58 PM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

There really are some worthless scumbags out there earlier my caregiver took me to KFC for chicken as we were leaving there was this guy sitting up against the wall blocking the sidewalk. I'm crippled the jerk would not move an inch but he made sure to ask for MONEY!!!!! I lost my footing trying to crawl around this sack of manure and almost went down One of two things woulda happened had that happened I would have had to be carted off to Cottage again or I woulda killed the SOB I gotta all the compassion in the world until some A hole kicks me in the teeth. I'm grateful that when I was a younger F UP The cops in Santa Barbara were tough on me, the programs I went through were tough nowadays it seems like everything is too easy.

Roger Nov 23, 2020 08:16 PM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

I heard a call eariier missing the exact location but did hear Hot Springs 10 hikers heading up to the Hot Springs in Montecito with fire wood...It was called in and the fire department headed up the trail I'm sure they caught up with the campers...Dumb Basses camping and warming fires tonight is alittle windy..Some people don't think.

Basicinfo805 Nov 23, 2020 08:53 PM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

Looks pretty unanimous here that we think the homeless are out of control in SB. Unfortunately, the Edhat community isn't in charge of City Hall. Maybe a protest is in order? A March up to City Hall to get Murillo'z attention? Seriously.

NostraChumash Nov 24, 2020 11:38 AM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

As citizens of the community, all are within their "rights" to form a committee to address, even physically, any & all concerns not being addressed to standards by those who's assignment it is to do so.
The only reason the police frown upon this right, is because if one breaks a fingernail during the process, the dept can be sued for negligence, having known that a hazard exists prior.
It seems though, that "self-governance" is the only way an affect can be made.
Let the Mayor& police dept know that, as citizens, we've had enough & are enroute to deal with the issue of encampments, by our own means..
Watch how quickly they get on it.

a-1606412616 Nov 26, 2020 09:43 AM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

If the city officials don't protect the city, then what good are they, and what purpose do they serve? You're either part of the solution or part of the problem! How is it that Malibu's city governance is taking care of this problem immediately and yet our authorities are doing nothing?

a-1606413030 Nov 26, 2020 09:50 AM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

And if these residents down at the beach and elsewhere can't figure out a way to get the city to do its job in order to protect their own lives and property values, then clearly something is wrong with them as well. If I saw encampments full of addicts and vagrants creating a huge mess and starting fires near my home, I promise you this would NOT continue near my property and I would see to it that the issue was solved, one way or another. If the city won't do its job, I would have to do it myself as I have had to do many times. Not the first time I've had to go behind incompetent people and do their job in this horribly run city!

a-1606413074 Nov 26, 2020 09:51 AM
Illegal Fire on Loma Alta

God help any of these miserable miscreants should they find their way to the area around my home. They will have met their match in me, trust me!