Common Holiday Foods Toxic to Pets
Source: Santa Barbara Humane Society
Although gatherings may be smaller this year, holidays remain a time to share those familiar savory foods. Although it’s tempting to indulge our pets in holiday meals, even just sneaking a taste under the table could cause your pet distress.
Here are some of the foods to avoid sharing with your pet:
Turkey. While a bite of unseasoned, well-cooked white meat shouldn’t hurt your cat or dog, raw or undercooked turkey -or fatty dark turkey meat can wreak havoc in your pet’s stomach. Bones are a deeper concern as they are fragile and splinter easily, which can cause issues in your pet’s throat or digestive tract if they are swallowed.
Garlic and onions. While garlic and onions may be a tasty way to season food, they are toxic to cats and dogs. These pungent items can cause gastrointestinal distress and may cause damage to the red blood cells of your pets.
Unbaked dough containing yeast. Make sure to keep any unbaked dough out of the reach of your pets. Yeast will cause the dough to continue to rise even after swallowed, which could create a blockage in your pet’s stomach.
Additionally, the natural fermentation of yeast in your cat or dog’s stomach could cause alcohol poisoning.
Alcohol. While a glass of wine or a cocktail might be the perfect complement to your meal, make sure you pet doesn’t get a sip. For cats and dogs, alcohol can cause severe health issues or even death.
Desserts. Chocolate isn’t the only sweet that could cause health issues for your pet. Grapes, raisins and currants can cause kidney failure in dogs, and experts believe they can also affect cats as well.
Sweeteners - The sweetener Xylitol is another important food to avoid feeding your pet, as its ingestion can lead to liver failure in both cats and dogs. This sweetener can be found in breath mints, baked goods, some peanut and nut butters and even sugar-free desserts, including "skinny" ice cream.
If you are concerned that your pet has ingested one of these foods, your first call should be to (list local emergency vets that would be open during holidays and the ASPCA poison line)
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426- 4435. A consultation fee may apply.