Bone Dry Red Rock title=

By an edhat reader

Santa Barbara, Goleta folks,  want to take a dip at Red Rock? Fuhgeddaboutit. I've never seen this popular swimming spot in LPNF this dry, looks like Montecito water district holding the dam shut.

OpossumBoy Oct 28, 2020 02:50 PM
Bone Dry Red Rock

Montecito has nothing to do with Gibraltar dam. Gibraltar dam water comes through a water tunnel to Santa Barbara. You can see the tunnel’s output at the top of Tunnel Road, where both the Jesusita and Tunnel trails start.

gcheadley Oct 28, 2020 03:28 PM
Bone Dry Red Rock

Not completely true. The water goes to Lauro Reservoir just above Laurel Canyon Drive / San Roque Rd. From there it is either treated at Cater or released into Mission Creek.

EastBeach Oct 28, 2020 03:53 PM
Bone Dry Red Rock

The OP is likely referring to Montecito's Juncal Dam (Jameson Lake) which is upstream from Gibraltar Reservoir.

OpossumBoy Oct 28, 2020 04:40 PM
Bone Dry Red Rock

Headly, everything I said is true. I have seen both ends of the tunnel and the water flowing through it. I have read its history. (The SB historical Society is an amazing resource.) Also, afaik the Lauro reservoir receives most of its water from Cachuma.

OpossumBoy Oct 28, 2020 04:54 PM
Bone Dry Red Rock

Eastbeach: good point and possibly so, but Jameson Lake has little to do with Red Rock being dry. So I return to my main point: the Montecito water district isn’t causing Red Rock to dry up. As an aside, I once rode my motorcycle past the road that goes to Jameson to the hot springs. It is beautiful back there. Crossing the river on me motorcycle was... uh... educational. LOL

SB_TAHOE Oct 29, 2020 09:46 AM
Bone Dry Red Rock

Rode my dirt bike through that water crossing many years ago, I was an inexperienced rider, hit my brakes mid crossing, cement was mossy and down I went! No injury to me or the bike so it was hilarious.

REX OF SB Oct 28, 2020 03:38 PM
Bone Dry Red Rock

Wow, I have never seen that!

LooseCannon Oct 28, 2020 05:38 PM
Bone Dry Red Rock

There was water at Red Rock when I hiked there two weeks ago. Even during the horrible drought from c. 2013 to 2018, there was still enough water at Red Rock for a six-foot person to be chest-deep in water. Something is going on.

MountainMan4865 Oct 28, 2020 08:56 PM
Bone Dry Red Rock

I took kids out there and the surround areas for years during the high drought... never saw this. Gophers?

420722 Oct 28, 2020 11:19 PM
Bone Dry Red Rock

Did Newsom get ahold of Redrock too? Oh my.

SB_TAHOE Oct 29, 2020 09:41 AM
Bone Dry Red Rock

Why bring up Newsom? Pathetic.

PitMix Oct 29, 2020 10:48 AM
Bone Dry Red Rock

At least he didn't use the junior high trick of spelling his name in a demeaning way. Kudos for that.

sacjon Oct 29, 2020 11:38 AM
Bone Dry Red Rock

420722 - No, it was Trump. I saw him back there fishing a few months ago. Dude has a pretty smooth cast.

hz Oct 29, 2020 08:30 AM
Bone Dry Red Rock

perhaps it has something to do with fires destroying the watershed

PitMix Oct 29, 2020 08:57 AM
Bone Dry Red Rock

Drier and hotter equals less water for recreation. Usually by now we would have had one small storm roll through. Remember how they used to have the lemon festival in October and it got rained out? Now it is in Sept.

Basicinfo805 Oct 29, 2020 06:10 PM
Bone Dry Red Rock

There's a lot of variation every year Pitmix, everyone living here and all of central and socal for a while has seen that.

SBLIFE Oct 29, 2020 09:30 AM
Bone Dry Red Rock

Combo of a few things: Gibraltar is at 26%, so it is below the spillway and is therefore not releasing water. Second, we've had a hot and sunny summer, which equates to lots of evaporation. Third, we are juuuuust on the cusp of the wet season, if you were ever going to see Red Rock dry, now would be the time! Nothing to worry about here.

a-1603989415 Oct 29, 2020 09:36 AM
Bone Dry Red Rock

Actually, I just took a look at Gibraltar's levels and it is purposely (constant drawdown rate over the past few months) much lower than it has ever been in the past few years. Now I am wondering if they are drawing it down to deadpool in order to do some work on the dam. Maybe sediment removal or dam inspections. For the same reasons Red Rock is dry, this is the time of year to do things like that.

NostraChumash Oct 29, 2020 10:02 AM
Bone Dry Red Rock

Now's a perfect op to re-shape the bottom for a better swim experience..ie;remove the big rock in the pool, re-cut the hand-holds etc.

PitMix Oct 29, 2020 10:50 AM
Bone Dry Red Rock

Not easy to go into a creek and start excavating, not if you want to do it legally. Need lots of permits.

Basicinfo805 Oct 29, 2020 07:11 PM
Bone Dry Red Rock

He or she HAS to be kidding Pitmix. Don't you think? Especially if you're Chumash. There's absolutely no way someone's dredging out the santa ynez river. Dare I say, "Duh"?

LCP112233 Oct 29, 2020 03:15 PM
Bone Dry Red Rock

That is very strange. I got pictures from my kids just a few weeks ago swimming and having fun. Never have I seen redrock dehydrate so quickly even in severe drought times. Curious.

pstarSR Oct 29, 2020 04:18 PM
Bone Dry Red Rock

agreed, I got pictures from a friend a month ago also swimming in water. I am wondering the legitimacy of this photo, and location of the photo. Although, we have yet to start the "rainy" season.

Simpleton Oct 29, 2020 04:36 PM
Bone Dry Red Rock

On October 18 the first crossing below the kiosk was dry but the small creeks in the back country above Upper Oso all had water as usual.

Sail380 Oct 30, 2020 09:41 AM
Bone Dry Red Rock

The back country has historically been unreliable for water. One good reason why the Chumash had no permanent settlements back there.

NostraChumash Oct 30, 2020 10:43 AM

Basic805..
I did not say to drege the river, did I?..
YOU said that, correct?
I did not say to do anything without proper permits, did I ?
YOU said that, correct?..
Duh?!...you did say that, correct?
Especially being Chumash has no bearing on my initial comment, because YOUR people have destroyed everything else, so what's the harm in improving an old waterhole?
Methinks you just hate anything injun.