Voting In Person

I'm hoping someone can please clarify the in person voting "rules" for me. According to the Secretary of State's website, if you vote in person your vote is provisional until all mail in ballots are counted. Does this mean that if you bring your mail in ballot in person, and you hand it in that it is still provisional? I am having trouble making sense of this. I do not want my ballot to be provisional so I'm not clear if that means I have to drop off the mail in ballot [I am not mailing it at this point]. Thanks.

PitMix Oct 27, 2020 09:30 AM
Voting In Person

I don't see what you are talking about on the SOS website. We were all given mail-in ballot but can also vote in person starting Saturday if we want. The provisional stuff you are confused by is for people in a regular election who requested an absentee ballot but then want to vote in person and don't have the absentee ballot with them. They have to do a provisional vote and then they check to make sure the absentee ballot wasn't submitted already before processing the provisional ballot. Voting 2x is voter fraud and that can have serious consequences- 5 yr jail sentence for a woman in Texas.

From www.sos.ca.gov/elections/voting-resources/provisional-voting

What Happens After You Cast a Provisional Ballot?

Your provisional ballot will be counted after elections officials have confirmed that you are registered to vote in that county and you did not already vote in that election.

You may vote a provisional ballot at any polling place in the county in which you are registered to vote, however, only the elections contests you are eligible to vote for will be counted.

Andrea Smith Oct 27, 2020 10:22 AM
Voting In Person

PITMIX it clearly says on the SOS website that walk ins are provisional, I believe if you surrender your mail in ballot in person it won't be but that is not clear to me. NJ is the same - they count the mail in /drop offs first. In persons are provisional until they finish counting the mail in/dropped off ballots to check for duplication. So yes, per the SOS, it does appear in person is provisional, if you vote that ballot and not your mailed ballot.

Always_Running Oct 27, 2020 09:51 AM
Voting In Person

Last election I had the same question for a poll worker. She had said the mail in ballots enter the secure room, and not until all those have been counted may anyone enter the counting room. Then the walk in ballots may be counted. Which by that point may be the following day, but some are called that night. Your best option would be to drop off your envelope at the ballot drop boxes, if you want your ballot counted and in the secure room.

Babycakes Oct 27, 2020 10:46 AM
Voting In Person

Request for a different clarification: My "over the fence" neighbor told me to be sure to bring "valid" identification with me when I vote in person. Is this a new requirement? I don't ever remember having to show ID when voting, but maybe I missed the memo on that for this election. (I have a valid CDL and a US passport, which I will have with me when I vote).

PitMix Oct 27, 2020 02:33 PM
Voting In Person

Not necessary to vote in this state. Necessary in red states because of their "huge" voter fraud problems.

Andrea Smith Oct 27, 2020 03:20 PM
Voting In Person

PITMIX really? B/C the first time I personally experienced voter fraud was when I moved to CA. Roommate voted her dead mother's ballot for a couple of years.

Minibeast Oct 27, 2020 03:48 PM
Voting In Person

Here's the scoop on showing i.d. at the polls. This copy and paste tells it better than can I:----------------- In most cases, a California voter is not required to show identification to a polling place worker before casting a ballot.

However, if you are voting for the first time after registering to vote by mail and did not provide your driver license number, California identification number or the last four digits of your social security number on your registration form, you may be asked to show a form of identification when you go to the polls. In this case, be sure to bring identification with you to your polling place or include a copy of it with your vote-by-mail ballot. A copy of a recent utility bill, the sample ballot booklet you received from your county elections office or another document sent to you by a government agency are examples of acceptable forms of identification. Other acceptable forms of identification include your passport, driver license, official state identification card, or student identification card showing your name and photograph.

PitMix Oct 28, 2020 07:31 AM
Voting In Person

Andrea, even the Party of Trump couldn't come up with any significant voter fraud in the last election when trying to explain why he lost the popular vote by 3M. So your unsubstantiated story seems to be the exception rather than the rule. I wonder why you didn't do anything to protect the integrity of our election process? Must not have seemed a big deal to you either.

a-1603900835 Oct 28, 2020 09:00 AM
Voting In Person

Same day voter registration requires a valid ID. Just like flying on commercial aircraft.

benround Oct 27, 2020 11:28 AM
Voting In Person

The election info book says that to vote in person take your (BLANK) mail-in ballot and surrender it to the check-in clerk who will then issue you another ballot to vote on site. IF you do not have your mail-in ballot with you they will issue you a PROVISIONAL ballot that won't be counted until they verify that you did not complete another ballot. Mail-in or drop , is convenient; HOWEVER IT IS POTENTIALLY NOT PRIVATE - your ballot is in an envelope with your name on it and although election officials will assure you that the ballot and envelope are disassociated, if you are not there, you really don't know!

a-1603824406 Oct 27, 2020 11:46 AM
Voting In Person

BENROUND thank you so much, that actually helps clarify it. I could not understand what they meant by surrender - but I see what you are saying. That way, they can ensure you did not mail in your mail ballot - and just give you another one but if you don't have it, then they can't be sure so they issue provisional. Thanks so much! It's so confusing this year and I want my vote counted!

a-1603865456 Oct 27, 2020 11:10 PM
Voting In Person

11:28 AM - Take a tour of the County Elections office and you will see that your fears are groundless. Machines separate the ballots from their envelopes.

hz Oct 27, 2020 12:26 PM
Voting In Person

I dropped my vote off in a ballot box...somewhere I had an email or saw a post about registering my vote...a day after I dropped my vote in the ballot box, I received notification that my vote had been received..the following day another notification that my vote has been COUNTED ;0}. The ballot box worked well for me. Also..a person who dropped their vote off before me ahd not pushed it all the way in and a corner was poking out..so I made sure that my ballot was all the way inside the box. Vote early..unless you feel compelled to stand in line at your voting precinct.

taz Oct 27, 2020 02:45 PM
Voting In Person

I walked in to the Election office (Calle Real near El Sueno) a couple of weeks ago and handed it directly to the elections employee (socially distanced, wide open door) behind the counter who accepted and then stamped it (unopened). I've subsequently gone online to
WheresMyBallot.sos.ca.gov and seen this comment: "Your ballot has been accepted! Your ballot was received by your county elections office and will be counted." Hope this might be helpful to some who are concerned. It may be busier now, but when I went there was no line. There is also an election box outside of the building.

a-1603865566 Oct 27, 2020 11:12 PM
Voting In Person

TAZ - I put my ballot in said election box and got a text and a email with the same messages.

SBZZ Oct 28, 2020 08:48 AM
Voting In Person

Benround is correct about turning in your mail-in ballot to your polling place if you vote in person. Your sample ballot explains it all.

a-1603901275 Oct 28, 2020 09:07 AM
Voting In Person

Voting is a public duty; not a personal inconvenience.