By Brandon Priest

Hello to the 70 - 80% of Goleta Union School District (GUSD) families that want in-person classes to open.

GUSD continues to fail our children both educationally and socially.  They have continued to ignore the CDC's recommendation to open schools. I encourage you to PLEASE read:  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html .

GUSD didn’t even bother to apply for a waiver while 30 other schools in our district jumped on the chance. Why not at least try? This signifies pure negligence from our administrators.

GUSD’s “robust” distant learning program is abysmal at best. Less than 2 hours of instructions by a teacher and the rest of the day is scheduled for “independent studies”.  Good luck getting our younger children to work independently.

My child's teacher told her entire Zoom class that "GUSD has no intentions of opening until January at the earliest."  Regardless of what the CDC recommends or what science is telling us?  We just moved into the RED Tier which allows schools to open in 14 days under some modified conditions.  Our administrators said they have been working on in-person modifications since March.  Are they going to open Oct 13th?  According to one teacher, NO WAY.

My child is a good student, above average on every assessment test since kindergarten, actively participates in class, received achievement awards every year and never missed a day of school or been late.  Now, according to her schools "assessment data", under their "ROBUST" online teaching program she has fallen below the 28th percentile in math and 16th percentile for reading.  I will gladly take some responsibility for this drop as I try to work full time from home and teach during "independent work" time.  But, as I'm not a teacher and I am working, I can only do so much of THEIR job.

In the meantime, they rearranged her daily schedule (ZOOM class time), without any notice and without consulting me first, to accommodate their time slotted groupings for underachieving students. smh!  Just because I work remotely doesn't mean I can change my schedule on the drop of a dime.

GUSD refuses to listen to their student families so our voices need to be louder. Make a difference and be collectively heard by boycotting Zoom for one day on Monday 10/5. Spend the day with your kids teaching or doing fun activities or going outside getting some fresh air and exercise.

Thank you for your time.

P.S. One of the reasons I like EdHat is that it allows comments/public discussion. Please voice your thoughts. I'm sure there is a lot more to add to this OP-ED.

Do you have an opinion on something local? Share it with us at [email protected] The views and opinions expressed in Op-Ed articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of edhat.

mcinsb Sep 30, 2020 10:12 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Sorry, that last sentence should have said "No one would argue that kids don't need to be in school in person with teachers, but not at the risk of ANYONE's life."

dukemunson Oct 01, 2020 07:52 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

MCinSb- you would be perfect on the school board! You eloquently and passionately made your points for why school can’t return anytime soon. The school board thrives on people who see a problem and come up with every possible excuse to not solve it! Clog up the streets? Seriously? Stagger the opening... it’s not like a temperature check takes that long... our preschool with no parking lot, one entrance and 90 kids figured it out back in May. With the Goleta school district campuses (which are all spacious and lovely!!) it would be incredibly easy. And as a parent, I am OK with the potential of it having to close at some point... but at least we’ll have had X number of weeks/months. And long term that is the new normal that people need to accept. This isn’t going away... we have to live with it.

dukemunson Oct 01, 2020 08:03 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

And no... they aren’t going back anytime soon. You would think that after going into the lower tier (and literally being in the even lower tier if you take out Santa Maria) They would be scheduling emergency meetings about how to open. You would think with the October 13 green light they would be working tirelessly for our kids. No... the next meeting is scheduled for late October. It will be the same. The problem with posts like yours is that it assumes/thinks that the school district is going to open in a couple weeks and that everything is being done for/about kids safety. Their inaction is just that though... inaction. When they had to open they were on a hybrid plan... now that they don’t... they won’t. January is best case scenario as it’s going to take at least 3 meetings to open... and they aren’t scrambling to make extra meetings! And last Thing... why again is everything open except schools? One would think preschools, bars and gyms are a bit more hands on then junior highs... right?

mm1970 Oct 01, 2020 10:07 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

MCINSB, you very eloquently described the long list of requirements and details that most complainers on this page miss. They just want schools to "solve it" without caring, or wondering, how much time and money it will cost. The devil is in the details. The districts are working on the details. "Oh at our preschool..." One entrance and 90 kids? Try one entrance and 400, 500, 600 kids in elementary schools. Not. The. Same. Requirements for cleaning, testing, contract tracing, bathroom use...

This all requires more STAFFING. We don't have that. There isn't money for that. It all comes down to money. SB Unified is going through baby steps and it's fine. You want faster, volunteer your time to monitor cohorts on campus, measure temperatures of kids arriving, etc.

(Gyms more hands on than junior high, have you seen kids in junior high???) Gyms are limited to 10% capacity...

sacjon Oct 01, 2020 10:15 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

MM1970 - Re: the staffing you say we don't have. GUSD hired 21 young teachers over the summer for the specific purpose of helping out with covid-era difficulties. They have the staffing and the money.

dukemunson Oct 01, 2020 10:37 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Our Goleta school has under 300 kids, and the average class size is 20. Their facilities are exponentially nicer than any pre-school...so you are right, it's not the same. IT WOULD BE MUCH EASIER TO OPEN A GOLETA ELEMENTARY AT REDUCED HOURS THAN A PRESCHOOL THAT IS OPEN FROM 730AM TO 530PM! And a note about staffing. The goleta School district had 164 teachers last year. They added another 21. Interestingly enough, in addition to that 185 teachers, they have 291 administrators! Let that sink in for a second. They have tons of staffing...a legit question though is what the heck that staffing does every day...

So I get it MM1970...you can sit with your kid for hours of screen time every day...and it's working for you, awesome! But every business (Including all the schools open) had requirements for "cleaning, testing and bathroom use"...it's embarrassing that our schools dont think they can handle cleaning the bathrooms a bit more and figuring out how to get 287 kids into a classroom for at least a couple days per week. You don't have to go 815 to 3pm...stagger and shorten the days/week! Your defeatist attitude is just appalling...

sacjon Oct 01, 2020 11:22 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

DUKE - I agree 100% - we have the staff and we don't need 5 days a week, full time school. All we want is the hybrid program that GUSD boasted about ALL SUMMER! What happened to that plan? Why can't we do that now that the State of California is allowing our kids to return to school in 12 days from now? They said that's what we're going to do and now we're not??? How is it all of a sudden not a viable option when it was the go-to plan all summer long? The teachers were "thrown off guard" when Newsom banned in-person school at the end of summer. That means, they were prepared and ready for the hybrid program. OK, so now you can do it.... so DO IT! It is completely defeatist to throw their hands up and say nah, too hard now. I can't keep repeating this: GUSD do what you had planned to do all summer! Let our kids back for even a few hours a week! THEY NEED THIS!

mm1970 Oct 01, 2020 02:04 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

SACJON and DUKE, as you may or may not know, my students are in SBUSD, not Goleta. I am well aware that Goleta schools are smaller, have more money, and hired 21 new teachers. (They also have offered independent study, I assume with some of that money).

I am telling you that not all districts have that kind of money. And I never said "it couldn't be done", I have said that I have ACTUAL EXPERIENCE in the trenches (but not in schools), trying to implement changes like this WITHOUT ADDITIONAL STAFF and it's a frigging nightmare. I ALSO have experience in schools trying to figure out how to use your tiny budget and even tinier PTA additions to figure out how to get test scores up.

NEVERMIND all of the state requirements for testing, cleanliness, etc. WITHOUT ADDITIONAL STAFF.

It's not just "cleaning the bathrooms more", when you only have one person on staff. It's hiring additional staff...for every single school. It's also keeping a list of who uses the bathroom and when. Making sure there's only 1 or 2 students there at a time. Recording that, so that if someone later tests positive, you can do contact tracing. OH, but then you end up with a sign up sheet for the bathroom. And... bathroom monitors, I guess? To make sure that there aren't too many students at a time.

Finally, the ONLY reason I sit with my 3rd grader all day is because I have a small house with four people working/going to school and only 3 rooms. It sucks. I get maybe 50% of the work done. I take conference calls in the car. But I have sat down and worked out, how, exactly, you implement "hybrid learning", masks, cleaning, and cohorts. IT'S COMPLICATED.

You should go volunteer your time at the school. If every parent volunteers to monitor students 1 day a week, it would be easy peasy.

Baby steps. Small cohorts, work out the kinks, then hybrid, work out more kinks, then back full time.

I am shocked (not really) at all the complainers with these great "BIG IDEAS" who haven't actually sat down and worked out a detailed plan for how every little thing is going to be addressed. Or haven't offered to do so at the school level. (The bathroom example above is just ONE example.) There's also: bussing, lunch, contact tracing. Nevermind high school when students have 4 different classes and cohorts. I haven't even gone there...

I look forward to hybrid opening as much as everyone else. Sharing an office with an 8 yo sucks. But SBUnified, for one, LITERALLY just started the testing required to do so, a couple of weeks ago.

bosco Oct 01, 2020 02:22 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

MM. Everything what you listed is being done by many other schools around the world. No one ever said it's easy. But it can be done. What I want to see is the district at least try. Lay out the plan and ask the community for help where needed. If my school's Principle came to the parents and said "we need this, this, and this from the community in order to open". We would try and rally the resources. If that means me spending a couple hours a week being a bathroom monitor than so be it. The district continues to take the easy way out. Better to try and fail than to not even try at all.

dukemunson Oct 01, 2020 02:28 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

MM1970- you’ll be heartened to know that despite being smaller and having more more money and hiring a whole bunch of additional teachers... GUSD is somehow quite a bit behind sb unified! Despite repeated claims to a hybrid model to implement, we aren’t anywhere near opening in any capacity! Unless they lied to us and hadn’t actually made any plans in any capacity, they have the plan! It’s why at least I am quite annoyed... All the number have gone done and everything has gotten better since GUSD expressed in a letter to all parents in July Their extreme disappointment that they couldn’t open and implement their hybrid plan. Literally everything has improved, they got more money and.. no... won’t do anything to progress towards an opening.

sacjon Oct 01, 2020 02:33 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

MM1970 - I get all that, I do, but GUSD prepped all summer and was ready to go hybrid in the fall. It was already figured out. They hired extra staff. They did survey after survey and we all said "yes" to hybrid. Then, Newsom shut it all down. OK, fine. Now that he's opening it back up, why can't we go back to the plan they had ready to go? THAT is my question.

Simpleton Oct 01, 2020 08:04 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Brandon, heads up that your post is being read by a lot of GUSD administrators and staff. Well done and good luck.

a-1601565619 Oct 01, 2020 08:20 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Hopefully, it is also being read by SBUSD admins, including the Trustees Board, with three incumbents in their first race, looking for votes of confidence from the voters.

sacjon Oct 01, 2020 09:41 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

SIMPLETON - That is great news! Were they forwarded this? Are they reading our comments too? - GUSD (5th Grade)/SBUSD (9th Grade) Parent

dukemunson Oct 01, 2020 10:43 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Considering their are close to 300 administrators in the GUSD school system (nearly twice as many teachers I may add), some of them have to be on EDHAT reading these posts. In fact, if you look at the posts, I think you could probably find an administrator or two posting...who else could possibly write how difficult cleaning the bathrooms would be for schools? GUSD has taken over 7 million (as of mid July) in emergency funding via the CARES act to help schools open... one would think 7 million (even in government twilight zone spending costs) could buy some cleaning products and perhaps a consultant to help them organize said cleaning products. But probably most of it went to more administrators! How many students were lost to private schools but administrators added?????

Bunyip Oct 01, 2020 08:19 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

I have no experience of GUSD.
I do have of SBUSD and private homeschooling. Before I comment, I acknowledge we all have different views, experiences, expectations & needs. We are living in extraordinary times. My personal goal is to keep my family safe and keep others in our community safe, by using common sense, being respectful and being patient. I often feel anxious and worry, wanting the best for my kids, feeling bummed about how our lives have changed. But I also accept that this is all ok for the moment and live on the premise that things will get better. So, I admit I was initially skeptical about remote learning. But I have been pleasantly surprised. I sit beside my special needs kid in all classes, cos he needs support (in an inclusive setting) so I see & hear everything . First week was rough, but I
can see teachers have worked hard since to improve things that were problematic. I’m grateful that they were receptive to my thoughts and suggestions, based on my observations. Now we are at a stage where I’m beyond impressed at how good the lesson plans are & my sons is enthusiastic and learning. But this is our experience and we are lucky. I applaud his teachers. My kids are trying hard, working at being flexible and accepting. I can’t work but that’s ok for the moment (our overheads are low bc we don’t go anywhere except the beach which is free - yay!).
My daughter has been homeschooling for years with Laurel Springs. Beyond impressed with that set up but it isn’t free but it is affordable. There are other free homeschooling options that I’ve heard are great too.
I can understand why many smaller schools like Cold Springs applied for waivers. They have small school populations, have very good teacher to student ratios. Their campus like MUS is conducive to outdoor learning, unlike much bigger schools like SBJH. The former also has the support of parents with expendable incomes who for example assisted in building a rotunda for outdoor learning. So I don’t think we can paint each school with the same brush and it would be unfair to have the same level of expectations.
I know of people in our community to have had C19, I know of 2 healthy people who have passed. I know kids whose immune systems are compromised, I know severely disabled kids who if exposed to C19 or if their parents, their primary care givers got sick, I dread to think. Teachers and administrators are human. My experience is that they are trying hard in very difficult times. Let’s be cautious and careful, kind and supportive, and patient. I wish you the best, I know it’s not easy but I’m sure in time we will get back to something like what we had.

bosco Oct 01, 2020 09:01 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

BUNYIP. I respect your opinion and your unique circumstance. The issue many of us have is that the district has made this decision for us. Under no circumstances would we expect you to be forced to put your children into a situation that makes you uncomfortable. We all have different risk tolerances. We have all made up our decision for what is best for our families. For you, it's obviously to keep your children at home. But for many of us, we want to be able to choose to be at school with teachers that choose to be there. The experts at the public health agencies are there to make the difficult decisions for our community and they have spoken. Now it should be on us, the individuals, to decide what level of risk we choose to accept. I understand the logistics are difficult. However, the districts have been preparing for this for months. There is now no excuse to not give us choice at this point.

mm1970 Oct 01, 2020 09:57 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

I agree with you completely BUNYIP. I've volunteered at the schools and I've worked in implementing new ideas, processes, and procedures "from above" to the trenches and... it can be a monumental task to do so. You really have to get into the weeds, into the details, to understand that. I recently asked our elementary principal "so, hybrid, does that mean you are simultaneously teaching students in person and on zoom? Or is it asynchronous learning on the at home days? " Answer: the latter. High school, college may be different. But I DO sit through 90% of my 3rd grader's zooms (because: small house), and I can see no way a teacher could do simultaneous teaching.

So, we are in the baby steps process. Let the process happen. Small cohorts are going in. We will learn from that. Next up: hybrid. We will learn from that. Keep on distancing, washing your hands, and doing your best.

PitMix Oct 01, 2020 09:13 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

SB schools do need to provide onsite learning for kids that have special needs and/or are falling behind. Perhaps there are enough young teachers without underlying medical conditions that are willing to take the risk for that group?

a-1601572510 Oct 01, 2020 10:15 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

SBUSD is currently rolling out special ed teachers bringing back special ed students to the class room setting. Bat at the same time, SBUSD hiring even more personnel to handle a new layer of non-teaching "learning center" settings, over and above the regular grade teachers who currently are zooming their regular classes. Since SBUSD refuses to fire any later redundant positions, this new layer of hires to monitor these new non-classroom "learning centers" will only add to the already growing deficit SBUSD faces due to its heavily over-staffed free food delivery program. All because public school teachers unions refuse to go back to the classroom nor cooperate about making classrooms safer. SBUSD thinks of itself only as a full employment program, and not an educational institution. Same attitude took down the Detroit school system - raid the treasury and hire the relatives. (View the Dan Rather multi-part documentary investigating Detroit schools - demand this does not happen at SBUSD.)

JILLONTHEHILL Oct 01, 2020 04:19 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

I don’t support protests of this nature. It seems like there are more constructive ways someone could communicate sentiments with our elected officials and the school district.

Also, a lot of comments on here are highly critical of our GUSD and SBUSD workers. I’m sure the last six months has not been a pleasant time to be a GUSD or SBUSD employee. As I have often said “It is much easier to be on the sideline than the Quidditch pitch!”

Shmonk Oct 01, 2020 04:20 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Any recommendations on "e more constructive ways someone could communicate sentiments with our elected officials and the school district"?

dukemunson Oct 01, 2020 04:38 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

I see your movie reference and I counter with probably the best R rated puppet movie about the war on terror to come out of the early 2000's...

The Teachers union is basically replicating the scene from Team America World Police and demanding that nothing bad ever happen to anyone ever again before anything could ever happen again. (Or at least from a personal/professional level...I've seen many teachers out and about in Santa Barbara living life and enjoying all the other "essential workers" labors...and that's great!).

A safe hybrid open has to happen, because if it doesn't...when are we ever possibly going back to school again? If we don't at least try RIGHT NOW (and by trying right now that would realistically mean January) then when...make it a full year and start back in March 2021? June 2021? August 2021?

PitMix Oct 02, 2020 09:33 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Best thing about all the criticism that the teacher's union is taking here is that it doesn't matter to them at all. They know extremists will never support them so they make sure their contract with the District protects them. They have the political power to do this in our democracy. I don't blame them for not wanting to get the virus one bit. I had it, and it is no picnic.

Simpleton Oct 02, 2020 10:35 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

There are some great teachers and staff that will be significantly impacted by the recent decisions of the union and the board. Every person working in public education is extremely nervous about the 2021/22 budget. Local K12 are expected to be hit hard, but UCSB will be hit harder, especially admin and support staff, if the dorms and most onsite teaching remain closed. You're right: this doesn't matter to the unions. Good luck to all.

dukemunson Oct 02, 2020 11:14 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

I find it rather humorous that you label the people who want the teachers to teach as "extremists". There certainly is an extreme position being taken...crazy that you think it's the parents and not the union. One would think that the best interests of our children would be the prevailing decision making force here.... instead it's a power flex from the union. I really don't understand how anyone can support the teachers and police unions...their job is completely at odds with those who they are "serving".

Annps Oct 12, 2020 04:26 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Teachers have been working around the clock, including throughout the summer when there is no pay.

Annps Oct 12, 2020 04:36 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Yes, unfortunately many here do not have all the information, nor do they understand that this is not an all or nothing issue. The AB cohort model means 1/2 of the group is in-person 2 days a week, and they (general ed) do not see their teacher or receive direct instruction at all the other days. Now, depending on the district, students have direct instruction for a chunk of their school day, then they work on the work attached to the lessons throughout the rest of the school day, with their teacher giving feedback at night.

Voice of Reason Oct 12, 2020 05:06 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

We're 200+ days into this crisis (the crisis being our states overreaction to a new virus), and the best we can hope for is 2 days of school for our children sometime in November? 40% of what they should be receiving at this point in time is completely unacceptable. There is zero justification for continued shutdowns and restrictions like this, especially for schools! Sweden: schools open for their 1.8 million kids throughout the height of the pandemic in spring, no social distancing, no masks, ZERO child deaths from covid during this time. For kids, that's better than the flu. Why are we still not copying what Sweden is doing? Sweden wasn't the experiment, we were and it failed miserably.

a-1602548009 Oct 12, 2020 05:13 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Sweden's approach was a disaster compared to its neighbors in Scandinavia, though not as disastrous as our feeble response. With the kind of compliance we have here, their approach would have resulted in an even worse apocalypse than we have now.

Openourschools Oct 02, 2020 02:02 PM

Zoom Boycott starts Monday 10/5

Calling all parents of remote learning through Santa Barbara Unified and GUSD. It’s time to take action. They need to open our schools.

Boycott zoom classes starts Monday 10/5.

a-1601674288 Oct 02, 2020 02:31 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

OK, this is a step in the right direction! But, now how about youth sports too? Why can't kids be out there playing baseball? The game is based on social distancing for the most part! I see at least 50 kids playing soccer is close proximity groups, most without masks, every time I drive past Girsh (2x a day/4 days a week). Why? Why are the baseball fields being used for soccer, but the baseball players are not allowed to go hit balls? A friend was told to leave a field at Girsh while throwing some balls to his son ON the baseball field at the same time the other baseball field was covered with soccer players. What is the deal with that??

It's tough enough for kids to deal with no school now (and thanks for doing this boycott!) but to keep them from practicing their sport, while other kids are on their field practicing their sport is just not right. Not talking games or tournaments, just let ALL kids use the sports field!

pstarSR Oct 02, 2020 02:48 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

edhat needs to remove this user, the user name alone is enough to tell me they only have one agenda here on edhat. and they dont care about the community and discussing anything.

dukemunson Oct 02, 2020 02:57 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

How is this shooting yourself in the foot? I'd say getting kids off the computer screen for a day is the healthy thing to do. Use the day to hit the beach and get the kids outside...sitting inside on ZOOM all day truly isn't healthy. In fact We're shooting ourselves in the foot by doing this many zooms!!

sacjon Oct 02, 2020 02:59 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

PSTARSR - Maybe quit telling a community forum what they "need" to do. Are you seriously saying we shouldn't be allowed to comment if we have strong opinions? So what if they have an agenda? We ALL do! We either want our kids back in school when it's safe or we don't. You're being ridiculous.

a-1601678039 Oct 02, 2020 03:33 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

If it were safe, you might have a point. But it isn't. Even the narcissistic germophobe White House isn't.

dukemunson Oct 02, 2020 03:40 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

News Flash A-1601678039 - No place is 100% safe. Not the grocery store...not the beach...not the bar...not the gym...not the church...not the coffee shop...not the car dealership...not the bus station...not the taco shop...not the donut shot...not the, well, you get the point, NOT THE ANYTHING! We can give up or we can figure out how to live with it. It's here to stay...so hopefully the school district realizes that at some point. We cant give up on our kids...and the ZOOM's are the equivalent of "giving up".

a-1601678679 Oct 02, 2020 03:44 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

It's OK kids. Play on the freeway if you want to, since life isn't safe. Why bother with doctor visits, either? Seat belts in the car? No, we want to be singing Born Free!

dukemunson Oct 02, 2020 03:56 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

The doctors are recommending kids BE IN SCHOOL! That's the medical consensus for the tier we are in...HAVE KIDS IN SCHOOL! Are you seriously suggesting we ignore health experts advice?

a-1601679594 Oct 02, 2020 03:59 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

As they go out the door, don't forget to hug your kids, and tell them how eager you are to volunteer them for the small but nonzero and unnecessary risk to their future health, or lives. In fact, you're so committed to their education that you want them to boycott it.

webguysb Oct 02, 2020 04:07 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Quit making these claims without backing them up with evidence. You're just pushing an agenda and potentially spreading misinformation.

dukemunson Oct 02, 2020 04:37 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

The zoom education is more harmful than helpful. Plopping 5 year old's in front of computer screens for hours and hours of Zooms is crazy. You will keep ignoring all the experts...though I do wonder what expert are you waiting for?

Annps Oct 12, 2020 05:14 PM

OPENOURSCHOOLS:
FYI, no boycott happened. Also, to you and anyone else who thinks that teaching is comparable to other opened services, and those of you who think teachers are wanting a free ride:
Teachers have been at work, and then some. They have essentially had no free time.

As for comparing teachers to the other professions that have opened, it is apples and oranges. While our delivery drivers should be held up for all the extra hours they are working, (they get overtime, while teachers don't, by the way), they are in a truck by themselves and on empty porches for the most part. Teachers, on the other hand, are in front of sneezing, coughing, nose picking students all day. I'm sure grocery store clerks rarely have their customers yank down their masks to sneeze because they think it's too gross to sneeze directly into their mask.
You have really compared the situations within a classroom to professions that are no where as close.
As for restaurants, I don't have the budget to go out, so I may not have the correct information, but aren't they all outdoors? Are you suggesting that having students outdoors all year, with their mouths covered up? (Again, you are so out of touch. Students need to see their teacher speak and teachers need to see their students speak, something Zoom classes can provide, while in-person teaching doesn't.)
Think about the in-person model.
- no interaction with anyone else at school
- quite possibly an AB cohort model, meaning your child will only interact with 1/2 of the class.
- masks so that no one can see each other smile, laugh, or model how to say new vocabulary, etc
- With the Zoom model, students can interact with a variety of students, they can see each other smile and laugh (and their teacher(s) as well. Students are not challenged trying to learn new vocabulary (especially how to pronounce the words) because they can't see the teacher's mouth.

Annps Oct 12, 2020 05:18 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Cite these experts. How do you think it's going to be having everyone they interact with covering their smile? And those they are interacting with won't be able to see the student's smile either.
By the way, an apostrophe is only used for contractions and possessive nouns, not for pluralizing. How'd your in-person work for you?
"Plopping 5 year old's in front of computer screens for hours and hours of Zooms is crazy."

Pages