By Brandon Priest

Hello to the 70 - 80% of Goleta Union School District (GUSD) families that want in-person classes to open.

GUSD continues to fail our children both educationally and socially.  They have continued to ignore the CDC's recommendation to open schools. I encourage you to PLEASE read:  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html .

GUSD didn’t even bother to apply for a waiver while 30 other schools in our district jumped on the chance. Why not at least try? This signifies pure negligence from our administrators.

GUSD’s “robust” distant learning program is abysmal at best. Less than 2 hours of instructions by a teacher and the rest of the day is scheduled for “independent studies”.  Good luck getting our younger children to work independently.

My child's teacher told her entire Zoom class that "GUSD has no intentions of opening until January at the earliest."  Regardless of what the CDC recommends or what science is telling us?  We just moved into the RED Tier which allows schools to open in 14 days under some modified conditions.  Our administrators said they have been working on in-person modifications since March.  Are they going to open Oct 13th?  According to one teacher, NO WAY.

My child is a good student, above average on every assessment test since kindergarten, actively participates in class, received achievement awards every year and never missed a day of school or been late.  Now, according to her schools "assessment data", under their "ROBUST" online teaching program she has fallen below the 28th percentile in math and 16th percentile for reading.  I will gladly take some responsibility for this drop as I try to work full time from home and teach during "independent work" time.  But, as I'm not a teacher and I am working, I can only do so much of THEIR job.

In the meantime, they rearranged her daily schedule (ZOOM class time), without any notice and without consulting me first, to accommodate their time slotted groupings for underachieving students. smh!  Just because I work remotely doesn't mean I can change my schedule on the drop of a dime.

GUSD refuses to listen to their student families so our voices need to be louder. Make a difference and be collectively heard by boycotting Zoom for one day on Monday 10/5. Spend the day with your kids teaching or doing fun activities or going outside getting some fresh air and exercise.

Thank you for your time.

P.S. One of the reasons I like EdHat is that it allows comments/public discussion. Please voice your thoughts. I'm sure there is a lot more to add to this OP-ED.

Do you have an opinion on something local? Share it with us at [email protected] The views and opinions expressed in Op-Ed articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of edhat.

bpriest Oct 13, 2020 10:09 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

ANNPS - I will continue to THANK YOU for your contribution to this op-ed. PLEASE, keep going. You have managed to show us your true colors in an attempt to defend, I'm not sure what.

Basicinfo805 Oct 12, 2020 05:48 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

ANNPS - I don't know about anyone else but your comments make me wonder what the hell your perspective/angle is. Paranoid, teacher, district player, what? Do tell...

Basicinfo805 Oct 12, 2020 05:43 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

ANNPS? Huh? Wow, where does one start to respond to such a ridiculous blurb

dukemunson Oct 12, 2020 05:34 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

No... they really haven’t. You might tell yourself that... or “your teacher friend” might tell you that... but it’s not true. They don’t have to go back... and so they aren’t.

dukemunson Oct 12, 2020 05:31 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

What reality are you paying attention to???? You somehow think teachers are the only people that can’t go back to work. That only at school do kids sneeze. Zoom classes are horrible and are probably doing more damage than good...so stop with the insane teacher/admin cheerleading, it’s ridiculous and completely divorced from reality. School needs to open immediately. Start with 2 days per week, which yes is exponentially better than 0 days per week and build from there. And as for school admins... I went to google... which led me to the national education statistic website. Crazy amount of “support staff” at the old GUSD. As best I can tell they hire 8 administrators and then need to hire a 9th to supervise said administrators.

Annps Oct 12, 2020 05:01 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

You are so very ill-informed and out of touch. Again, teachers have been working at least 60 hours a week, and working through much of their unpaid summer as well.

Annps Oct 12, 2020 04:57 PM

BPRIEST
You are the one who opened this forum, yet you are unable to actually respond to someone.
As for the items that you are not able to form a response to, or you clearly didn't comprehend:
#2, You cited an out of date article, and are apparently unable to address the points I brought up.
#3, Again, are you aware that if the county slides back to purple, there are no mandates for putting in-person teaching on hold? Or are you, again, unable to respond?
#4 You are one of few who have your full name here. Why do you want my name? Sounds very creepy.
Worse yet, you missed my point. You are saying you had the guts to put your name out there. Guess what, you basically put your child's name out there. Yeah, that takes a lot of guts. Putting your 7 year old's info out there in contentious public forum isn't brave, it's irresponsible.
By the way, by you putting your name out there, there has been a lot of talk around town about interactions others have had with you, including a whole lot outside of the schooling realm. Trust me when I say that it puts you in a very unstable light.
#6 You said your child only received language arts assessments, then went on to say she tested at a specific percentile in math. That makes no sense, and again, you can't respond to that.
By the way, your daughter's percentile has to do with how her test results compared to other students around the nation who took the same test on the same day. Given that the majority of districts are not teaching in-person, and the fact that our district is far more affluent than most of the districts whose students took the same test on the same day, your daughter dropped not because of the teaching, but because of something else.

Luckily we can figure out what that "something else is:
She would have taken her last STAR 360 at the END of the previous school year, and then she took it again at the BEGINNING of this school year. That means any drop she had in her score occurred over the summer, when the teachers and school district didn't have any influence over her.
My guess, given how quickly you said she took the test, (I believe there are 35 questions on the test, which means she spent less than a minute on each question) it would stand to reason that she flew through it without giving it her all.
Given that the drop occurred over the summer, it sounds like the only other option is that the drop cannot be "blamed" on the teachers, the district, or the teaching model, but instead it should be "blamed" on you.

Annps Oct 12, 2020 04:39 PM

Dukemunson:
I am not an administrator with the district. I'm just paying attention to reality.
Where did you get this number of administrators? Please specify where they are. Each of the 9 schools has one administrator, and there are a handful or so at the district. Where do you get the rest of them? Even if you are referring to office managers and assistant office managers, that only gives you 27 at the collective sites. Are you saying the district has 264 administrators?

bpriest Oct 09, 2020 10:33 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

ANNPS - WOW, this op-ed still has traction. Amazing. 11k+ reads.... Thank you for your comments. Maybe we are due for another op-ed with a longer boycott....? Should we do it?
To answer a couple of your questions;
1.) gusd requires that the classroom be taught in MY home. It's not really that difficult to figure out how hard it is to listen in on zoom considering my desk is 3 feet away from my child's work station. Trust me, when you are trying to "work remotely" and have a zoom class blaring in your ear you hear EVERYTHING. Thank you for asking.
2.) A bunch of nonsense not worthy of a reply. Please see other comments.
3.) More nonsense. Please read other comments
4.) This is the one I really wanted to address. I am proud to put my family name to this op-ed. How about you putting your full name to your comment so we can discover who you are? We will continue to advocate for a better education for our child, all gusd children, and stand behind our beliefs with our full name attached. You?
5.) Rubbish
6.) More rubbish but, you may have proven my point which I addressed directly, multiple times, with Donna (gusd superintendent) and who knows how many other administrators. This op-ed is a tiny portion of my communications with gusd. thank you.
Kinda good try ANNPS. I think you are in the minority on this thread.

dukemunson Oct 09, 2020 06:29 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

I have thought it through... what’s odd is that the school district seemingly hasn’t. They kept taking paychecks since March, touted a vigorous and safe plan to reopen and then gave up. All that aside, I truly appreciate the “privileged/victim” comment... that’s really good humor. I mean it’s coming from a school district employee who’s never missed a paycheck and made sure they have school available to drop their kids off at so they can “work” is pretty good! How privileged of me to think my kids should be going to school right now with teachers and admins kids! Those kids are special... their parents are administrating day and night for all of us!

dukemunson Oct 09, 2020 06:19 AM

ANNPS - So you are one of the 291
Goleta school district administrators, who (well administrate!) the 164 teachers in the district. It’s a difficult job, I mean there are almost 2 of you for every actual teacher that teaches, but it’s tough work! But you haven’t given up...You are still having meetings and phone calls! You’re still filing those TPS reports! When someone has a problem with their direct deposit, three of you jump right on it! You do it though not for the money or because you are dropping your kids off a (RIGHT NOW!) at school for teachers and admins kids so you can “work” but through sheer dedication and strength of will! That direct deposit payment must be fixed! This administrator has an email they have to respond to today.. and a zoom meeting next week! And we can’t lose them... god knows what would happen if we suddenly had less administrators than teachers. How would anyone figure out what to do with the 19k per student that was allocated on a per student basis last year. Who would be on the other end of all those phone calls and emails?

Annps Oct 09, 2020 12:07 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

You clearly missed my inclusion of having meetings as well. They have been working around the clock, weekends included from the get-go. Teachers have been working around the clock and through the weekends as well. So yes, you should be thankful and heartened, but something tells me you view life from an incredibly privileged perspective where you consistently think of yourself as a victim. Your sarcasm and you inability to correctly spell the homophone "you're" are impressive as well.
As for absolutely safe, of course there is! Do you really think we will be living with this devastating virus forever? Besides, absolutely safe can also mean having the right status and protocols in place. Think it through a bit, Dukemunson.

dukemunson Oct 08, 2020 11:13 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

“Absolutely safe” doesn’t exist in life...so if that’s your demand to return to school... then school is done forever. And seriously, you are commending administrators for “still having phone calls and exchanging emails”? How low of a bar have you set for your fellow school teachers/admins? Your right though! I should be thankful and heartened... the admin and teachers have been “exchanging emails”... I can barely contain my gratitude nor truly fathom such extraordinary “commitment”!

bpriest Oct 04, 2020 05:39 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Hello GUSD AND SBUSD families. Please join me in boycotting Zoom tomorrow. Our children need to be back in school and receive the education they deserve. Let our administrators know that we are tired of them sitting on their hands and taking the easy route.
Thank you to all that have contributed to this post.
Brandon Priest

SBseashell Oct 02, 2020 04:23 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

I applaud your bravery. Many will suffer in silence due to fear of offending their children's teachers. I have attempted to engage the School Board , PTO, and my principal to no avail. The lack of an elementary waiver application due to cost and size were just excuses as there was NO effort to engage the parents nor community, but instead the 2/3 teacher lack of support that drove this decision. This would have allowed the elementary schools, with our young and early learners whom need in person interaction, to get back into the classroom and off their iPads. SBUSD Board members have ASSURED all of us, like the good politicians they are, that they will follow State and Local Public Health Guidelines and get kids back in school. Both CA and SBPHD says this is 100% allowed October 13th with NO need to shut down schools for higher community tiers unless there are SPECIFIC criteria met at schools. There are NO REQUIREMENTs from SBPHD/CAPHD for PCR Covid testing of teachers outside an elementary waiver. SBUSD has received over $10million in CARES Act funding and invested millions in PPE for teachers. SBUSD/GUSD were very quick to follow CA orders to go remote but are NOT following recommendations to get back into the schools! Find a way to WORK TOGETHER instead of MAKING EXCUSES. Get our kids back into school. If some teachers are scared, educate them or let them take a leave of absence or pair them with those families requesting on-going remote learning. The long term repercussions of this will be felt by ALL in society for YEARS to come and every single day beyond October 13th our children are not IN CLASS is on the School Board and our Governor (whom should make a similar ORDER to get kids BACK into classrooms if necessary). This IDENTICAL fight is happening all over California public schools. Vote your School Board Members and Governor OUT. Send a clear message.

Openourschools Oct 02, 2020 02:02 PM

Zoom Boycott starts Monday 10/5

Calling all parents of remote learning through Santa Barbara Unified and GUSD. It’s time to take action. They need to open our schools.

Boycott zoom classes starts Monday 10/5.

Annps Oct 13, 2020 10:45 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Yes, it is true. I too am very close with a whole lot of teachers, and yes, they were working with their grade-level teams throughout the summer with no compensation, and yes, they are easily working 60 hours per week. I can't speak for the people you surround yourself with, and maybe they aren't opening themselves up to you, but with about 5 hours of face-to-face work, plus all of the asynchronous lessons and assignments to develop, create, and review, where do you think they get the time. On top of it, the teachers I know in the GUSD are creating thoughtful work to send home along with "kits" of materials for their students, all of which aligns with their online lessons. They could just have the students do the work entirely online, but instead they are making it as hands-on as possible. I know first-hand that this takes copious hours to put together because I have supported a few of my teacher-friends by putting together kits for them at my house.

dukemunson Oct 12, 2020 05:58 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

I re-read this post and honestly it’s just perfect... I mean that’s fantastic humor! There is no way Orwell could have ever dreamt of someone writing (and seemingly believing!) this:

“With the Zoom model, students can interact with a variety of students, they can see each other smile and laugh”

Just an incredible post. Does EDHAT have a hall of fame because this needs to be preserved for posterity!

dukemunson Oct 12, 2020 05:42 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Well... the CDC. Dr Fauci. Every single expert! They all agree that when the numbers allow it, school HAS TO RESUME. And how do I think it’s going to work... well... A WHOLE HELL OF A LOT BETTER THAN ONLINE!!!! The teachers union is actively working against the common good. The schools are paid no matter if 10 kids show up... 300 kids... or no kids. There is no incentive to make school happen... let alone make it happen. ANNPS can live her fairy tale world where teachers work 60 hours per week pls weekends and all summer and zoom school is magical and great. It’s completely insane unscientific untrue and just straight bizarre... but it’s the reality she’s chosen. Hard to argue/reason with that...

a-1602548900 Oct 12, 2020 05:28 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

ANNPS - I can't sit here and not say anything. I have more than one teacher in my immediate family here in SB/Goleta and I can tell you from first hand experience, they are NOT all working all summer, with no free time, or over 60 hours a week now, as you keep saying. That's simply not true. Not only do I know this from those in my family, I have multiple friends and acquaintances here in the area that are also elementary and secondary teachers. NONE of them are working the hours you continuously say they are, it's not true. Yes, they do work hard and I admire and respect them, but please stop making it sound like they've all been working around the clock for little (no overtime) to no (working during summer) compensation. It's false. I've spent a lot of time with them since COVID hit and talked a lot about this.

Annps Oct 12, 2020 05:18 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Cite these experts. How do you think it's going to be having everyone they interact with covering their smile? And those they are interacting with won't be able to see the student's smile either.
By the way, an apostrophe is only used for contractions and possessive nouns, not for pluralizing. How'd your in-person work for you?
"Plopping 5 year old's in front of computer screens for hours and hours of Zooms is crazy."

Annps Oct 12, 2020 05:14 PM

OPENOURSCHOOLS:
FYI, no boycott happened. Also, to you and anyone else who thinks that teaching is comparable to other opened services, and those of you who think teachers are wanting a free ride:
Teachers have been at work, and then some. They have essentially had no free time.

As for comparing teachers to the other professions that have opened, it is apples and oranges. While our delivery drivers should be held up for all the extra hours they are working, (they get overtime, while teachers don't, by the way), they are in a truck by themselves and on empty porches for the most part. Teachers, on the other hand, are in front of sneezing, coughing, nose picking students all day. I'm sure grocery store clerks rarely have their customers yank down their masks to sneeze because they think it's too gross to sneeze directly into their mask.
You have really compared the situations within a classroom to professions that are no where as close.
As for restaurants, I don't have the budget to go out, so I may not have the correct information, but aren't they all outdoors? Are you suggesting that having students outdoors all year, with their mouths covered up? (Again, you are so out of touch. Students need to see their teacher speak and teachers need to see their students speak, something Zoom classes can provide, while in-person teaching doesn't.)
Think about the in-person model.
- no interaction with anyone else at school
- quite possibly an AB cohort model, meaning your child will only interact with 1/2 of the class.
- masks so that no one can see each other smile, laugh, or model how to say new vocabulary, etc
- With the Zoom model, students can interact with a variety of students, they can see each other smile and laugh (and their teacher(s) as well. Students are not challenged trying to learn new vocabulary (especially how to pronounce the words) because they can't see the teacher's mouth.

dukemunson Oct 02, 2020 04:37 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

The zoom education is more harmful than helpful. Plopping 5 year old's in front of computer screens for hours and hours of Zooms is crazy. You will keep ignoring all the experts...though I do wonder what expert are you waiting for?

webguysb Oct 02, 2020 04:07 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Quit making these claims without backing them up with evidence. You're just pushing an agenda and potentially spreading misinformation.

a-1601679594 Oct 02, 2020 03:59 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

As they go out the door, don't forget to hug your kids, and tell them how eager you are to volunteer them for the small but nonzero and unnecessary risk to their future health, or lives. In fact, you're so committed to their education that you want them to boycott it.

dukemunson Oct 02, 2020 03:56 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

The doctors are recommending kids BE IN SCHOOL! That's the medical consensus for the tier we are in...HAVE KIDS IN SCHOOL! Are you seriously suggesting we ignore health experts advice?

a-1601678679 Oct 02, 2020 03:44 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

It's OK kids. Play on the freeway if you want to, since life isn't safe. Why bother with doctor visits, either? Seat belts in the car? No, we want to be singing Born Free!

dukemunson Oct 02, 2020 03:40 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

News Flash A-1601678039 - No place is 100% safe. Not the grocery store...not the beach...not the bar...not the gym...not the church...not the coffee shop...not the car dealership...not the bus station...not the taco shop...not the donut shot...not the, well, you get the point, NOT THE ANYTHING! We can give up or we can figure out how to live with it. It's here to stay...so hopefully the school district realizes that at some point. We cant give up on our kids...and the ZOOM's are the equivalent of "giving up".

a-1601678039 Oct 02, 2020 03:33 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

If it were safe, you might have a point. But it isn't. Even the narcissistic germophobe White House isn't.

sacjon Oct 02, 2020 02:59 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

PSTARSR - Maybe quit telling a community forum what they "need" to do. Are you seriously saying we shouldn't be allowed to comment if we have strong opinions? So what if they have an agenda? We ALL do! We either want our kids back in school when it's safe or we don't. You're being ridiculous.

dukemunson Oct 02, 2020 02:57 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

How is this shooting yourself in the foot? I'd say getting kids off the computer screen for a day is the healthy thing to do. Use the day to hit the beach and get the kids outside...sitting inside on ZOOM all day truly isn't healthy. In fact We're shooting ourselves in the foot by doing this many zooms!!

pstarSR Oct 02, 2020 02:48 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

edhat needs to remove this user, the user name alone is enough to tell me they only have one agenda here on edhat. and they dont care about the community and discussing anything.

a-1601674288 Oct 02, 2020 02:31 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

OK, this is a step in the right direction! But, now how about youth sports too? Why can't kids be out there playing baseball? The game is based on social distancing for the most part! I see at least 50 kids playing soccer is close proximity groups, most without masks, every time I drive past Girsh (2x a day/4 days a week). Why? Why are the baseball fields being used for soccer, but the baseball players are not allowed to go hit balls? A friend was told to leave a field at Girsh while throwing some balls to his son ON the baseball field at the same time the other baseball field was covered with soccer players. What is the deal with that??

It's tough enough for kids to deal with no school now (and thanks for doing this boycott!) but to keep them from practicing their sport, while other kids are on their field practicing their sport is just not right. Not talking games or tournaments, just let ALL kids use the sports field!

JILLONTHEHILL Oct 01, 2020 04:19 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

I don’t support protests of this nature. It seems like there are more constructive ways someone could communicate sentiments with our elected officials and the school district.

Also, a lot of comments on here are highly critical of our GUSD and SBUSD workers. I’m sure the last six months has not been a pleasant time to be a GUSD or SBUSD employee. As I have often said “It is much easier to be on the sideline than the Quidditch pitch!”

a-1602548009 Oct 12, 2020 05:13 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Sweden's approach was a disaster compared to its neighbors in Scandinavia, though not as disastrous as our feeble response. With the kind of compliance we have here, their approach would have resulted in an even worse apocalypse than we have now.

Voice of Reason Oct 12, 2020 05:06 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

We're 200+ days into this crisis (the crisis being our states overreaction to a new virus), and the best we can hope for is 2 days of school for our children sometime in November? 40% of what they should be receiving at this point in time is completely unacceptable. There is zero justification for continued shutdowns and restrictions like this, especially for schools! Sweden: schools open for their 1.8 million kids throughout the height of the pandemic in spring, no social distancing, no masks, ZERO child deaths from covid during this time. For kids, that's better than the flu. Why are we still not copying what Sweden is doing? Sweden wasn't the experiment, we were and it failed miserably.

Annps Oct 12, 2020 04:36 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Yes, unfortunately many here do not have all the information, nor do they understand that this is not an all or nothing issue. The AB cohort model means 1/2 of the group is in-person 2 days a week, and they (general ed) do not see their teacher or receive direct instruction at all the other days. Now, depending on the district, students have direct instruction for a chunk of their school day, then they work on the work attached to the lessons throughout the rest of the school day, with their teacher giving feedback at night.

Annps Oct 12, 2020 04:26 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Teachers have been working around the clock, including throughout the summer when there is no pay.

dukemunson Oct 02, 2020 11:14 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

I find it rather humorous that you label the people who want the teachers to teach as "extremists". There certainly is an extreme position being taken...crazy that you think it's the parents and not the union. One would think that the best interests of our children would be the prevailing decision making force here.... instead it's a power flex from the union. I really don't understand how anyone can support the teachers and police unions...their job is completely at odds with those who they are "serving".

Simpleton Oct 02, 2020 10:35 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

There are some great teachers and staff that will be significantly impacted by the recent decisions of the union and the board. Every person working in public education is extremely nervous about the 2021/22 budget. Local K12 are expected to be hit hard, but UCSB will be hit harder, especially admin and support staff, if the dorms and most onsite teaching remain closed. You're right: this doesn't matter to the unions. Good luck to all.

PitMix Oct 02, 2020 09:33 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Best thing about all the criticism that the teacher's union is taking here is that it doesn't matter to them at all. They know extremists will never support them so they make sure their contract with the District protects them. They have the political power to do this in our democracy. I don't blame them for not wanting to get the virus one bit. I had it, and it is no picnic.

dukemunson Oct 01, 2020 04:38 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

I see your movie reference and I counter with probably the best R rated puppet movie about the war on terror to come out of the early 2000's...

The Teachers union is basically replicating the scene from Team America World Police and demanding that nothing bad ever happen to anyone ever again before anything could ever happen again. (Or at least from a personal/professional level...I've seen many teachers out and about in Santa Barbara living life and enjoying all the other "essential workers" labors...and that's great!).

A safe hybrid open has to happen, because if it doesn't...when are we ever possibly going back to school again? If we don't at least try RIGHT NOW (and by trying right now that would realistically mean January) then when...make it a full year and start back in March 2021? June 2021? August 2021?

Shmonk Oct 01, 2020 04:20 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Any recommendations on "e more constructive ways someone could communicate sentiments with our elected officials and the school district"?

PitMix Oct 01, 2020 09:13 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

SB schools do need to provide onsite learning for kids that have special needs and/or are falling behind. Perhaps there are enough young teachers without underlying medical conditions that are willing to take the risk for that group?

a-1601572510 Oct 01, 2020 10:15 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

SBUSD is currently rolling out special ed teachers bringing back special ed students to the class room setting. Bat at the same time, SBUSD hiring even more personnel to handle a new layer of non-teaching "learning center" settings, over and above the regular grade teachers who currently are zooming their regular classes. Since SBUSD refuses to fire any later redundant positions, this new layer of hires to monitor these new non-classroom "learning centers" will only add to the already growing deficit SBUSD faces due to its heavily over-staffed free food delivery program. All because public school teachers unions refuse to go back to the classroom nor cooperate about making classrooms safer. SBUSD thinks of itself only as a full employment program, and not an educational institution. Same attitude took down the Detroit school system - raid the treasury and hire the relatives. (View the Dan Rather multi-part documentary investigating Detroit schools - demand this does not happen at SBUSD.)

Bunyip Oct 01, 2020 08:19 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

I have no experience of GUSD.
I do have of SBUSD and private homeschooling. Before I comment, I acknowledge we all have different views, experiences, expectations & needs. We are living in extraordinary times. My personal goal is to keep my family safe and keep others in our community safe, by using common sense, being respectful and being patient. I often feel anxious and worry, wanting the best for my kids, feeling bummed about how our lives have changed. But I also accept that this is all ok for the moment and live on the premise that things will get better. So, I admit I was initially skeptical about remote learning. But I have been pleasantly surprised. I sit beside my special needs kid in all classes, cos he needs support (in an inclusive setting) so I see & hear everything . First week was rough, but I
can see teachers have worked hard since to improve things that were problematic. I’m grateful that they were receptive to my thoughts and suggestions, based on my observations. Now we are at a stage where I’m beyond impressed at how good the lesson plans are & my sons is enthusiastic and learning. But this is our experience and we are lucky. I applaud his teachers. My kids are trying hard, working at being flexible and accepting. I can’t work but that’s ok for the moment (our overheads are low bc we don’t go anywhere except the beach which is free - yay!).
My daughter has been homeschooling for years with Laurel Springs. Beyond impressed with that set up but it isn’t free but it is affordable. There are other free homeschooling options that I’ve heard are great too.
I can understand why many smaller schools like Cold Springs applied for waivers. They have small school populations, have very good teacher to student ratios. Their campus like MUS is conducive to outdoor learning, unlike much bigger schools like SBJH. The former also has the support of parents with expendable incomes who for example assisted in building a rotunda for outdoor learning. So I don’t think we can paint each school with the same brush and it would be unfair to have the same level of expectations.
I know of people in our community to have had C19, I know of 2 healthy people who have passed. I know kids whose immune systems are compromised, I know severely disabled kids who if exposed to C19 or if their parents, their primary care givers got sick, I dread to think. Teachers and administrators are human. My experience is that they are trying hard in very difficult times. Let’s be cautious and careful, kind and supportive, and patient. I wish you the best, I know it’s not easy but I’m sure in time we will get back to something like what we had.

mm1970 Oct 01, 2020 09:57 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

I agree with you completely BUNYIP. I've volunteered at the schools and I've worked in implementing new ideas, processes, and procedures "from above" to the trenches and... it can be a monumental task to do so. You really have to get into the weeds, into the details, to understand that. I recently asked our elementary principal "so, hybrid, does that mean you are simultaneously teaching students in person and on zoom? Or is it asynchronous learning on the at home days? " Answer: the latter. High school, college may be different. But I DO sit through 90% of my 3rd grader's zooms (because: small house), and I can see no way a teacher could do simultaneous teaching.

So, we are in the baby steps process. Let the process happen. Small cohorts are going in. We will learn from that. Next up: hybrid. We will learn from that. Keep on distancing, washing your hands, and doing your best.

Pages