By Brandon Priest

Hello to the 70 - 80% of Goleta Union School District (GUSD) families that want in-person classes to open.

GUSD continues to fail our children both educationally and socially.  They have continued to ignore the CDC's recommendation to open schools. I encourage you to PLEASE read:  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html .

GUSD didn’t even bother to apply for a waiver while 30 other schools in our district jumped on the chance. Why not at least try? This signifies pure negligence from our administrators.

GUSD’s “robust” distant learning program is abysmal at best. Less than 2 hours of instructions by a teacher and the rest of the day is scheduled for “independent studies”.  Good luck getting our younger children to work independently.

My child's teacher told her entire Zoom class that "GUSD has no intentions of opening until January at the earliest."  Regardless of what the CDC recommends or what science is telling us?  We just moved into the RED Tier which allows schools to open in 14 days under some modified conditions.  Our administrators said they have been working on in-person modifications since March.  Are they going to open Oct 13th?  According to one teacher, NO WAY.

My child is a good student, above average on every assessment test since kindergarten, actively participates in class, received achievement awards every year and never missed a day of school or been late.  Now, according to her schools "assessment data", under their "ROBUST" online teaching program she has fallen below the 28th percentile in math and 16th percentile for reading.  I will gladly take some responsibility for this drop as I try to work full time from home and teach during "independent work" time.  But, as I'm not a teacher and I am working, I can only do so much of THEIR job.

In the meantime, they rearranged her daily schedule (ZOOM class time), without any notice and without consulting me first, to accommodate their time slotted groupings for underachieving students. smh!  Just because I work remotely doesn't mean I can change my schedule on the drop of a dime.

GUSD refuses to listen to their student families so our voices need to be louder. Make a difference and be collectively heard by boycotting Zoom for one day on Monday 10/5. Spend the day with your kids teaching or doing fun activities or going outside getting some fresh air and exercise.

Thank you for your time.

P.S. One of the reasons I like EdHat is that it allows comments/public discussion. Please voice your thoughts. I'm sure there is a lot more to add to this OP-ED.

Do you have an opinion on something local? Share it with us at [email protected] The views and opinions expressed in Op-Ed articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of edhat.

bosco Oct 01, 2020 09:01 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

BUNYIP. I respect your opinion and your unique circumstance. The issue many of us have is that the district has made this decision for us. Under no circumstances would we expect you to be forced to put your children into a situation that makes you uncomfortable. We all have different risk tolerances. We have all made up our decision for what is best for our families. For you, it's obviously to keep your children at home. But for many of us, we want to be able to choose to be at school with teachers that choose to be there. The experts at the public health agencies are there to make the difficult decisions for our community and they have spoken. Now it should be on us, the individuals, to decide what level of risk we choose to accept. I understand the logistics are difficult. However, the districts have been preparing for this for months. There is now no excuse to not give us choice at this point.

Simpleton Oct 01, 2020 08:04 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Brandon, heads up that your post is being read by a lot of GUSD administrators and staff. Well done and good luck.

dukemunson Oct 01, 2020 10:43 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Considering their are close to 300 administrators in the GUSD school system (nearly twice as many teachers I may add), some of them have to be on EDHAT reading these posts. In fact, if you look at the posts, I think you could probably find an administrator or two posting...who else could possibly write how difficult cleaning the bathrooms would be for schools? GUSD has taken over 7 million (as of mid July) in emergency funding via the CARES act to help schools open... one would think 7 million (even in government twilight zone spending costs) could buy some cleaning products and perhaps a consultant to help them organize said cleaning products. But probably most of it went to more administrators! How many students were lost to private schools but administrators added?????

sacjon Oct 01, 2020 09:41 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

SIMPLETON - That is great news! Were they forwarded this? Are they reading our comments too? - GUSD (5th Grade)/SBUSD (9th Grade) Parent

a-1601565619 Oct 01, 2020 08:20 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Hopefully, it is also being read by SBUSD admins, including the Trustees Board, with three incumbents in their first race, looking for votes of confidence from the voters.

mcinsb Sep 30, 2020 10:06 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

We've had a decent time of it -- teachers are teaching, kids are learning, I'm supervising. My kids are a bit older so that definitely helps. And I wonder if your child has really had learning loss -- you and teacher would know from how they do on assignments etc -- or if their assessment results were more a reflection of the test taking circumstances, or just an off day?
I've been listening to all the board meetings and reading the communications so I know that they are preparing to open as soon as they can after the county gives the ok. They never voted to wait until January, just mentioned it in discussion once. Because I listen to their meetings I know the logistical nightmare it is to open in a pandemic, but they are slogging through it to be ready as soon as it's feasible. Upgrading all the ventilation systems, buying portable hand washing stations, securing testing labs, etc. Requirements for screening every student each morning alone is enough make your head spin. Every child will need to be screened with a parent at the ready in case they don't pass the screening and have to go back home. Can you imagine the line of cars with every family waiting to be screened? And the amount of time it will take? It'll clog up the neighborhood streets and take half the morning! And that is just one of many logistical requirements that MUST be met to open campuses. Small, rich districts with fewer kids in the entire district than we have at one single school, and 2-3 times as much funding per student, can easily make adjustments as needed to open campus. It's a whole other ballgame for our 3600 students and 10 schools with tiny parking lots.
And I haven't even mentioned the fact that we are all doing this because of a deadly pandemic. I know people who have been sick, people who have been hospitalized, and people who have died from COVID19. Previously healthy people. It is unconscionable to suggest we force people and their families to take that risk before our community is ready. Just because you and I can work from home we must not forget the essential workers forced to work with little protection or safety net who are terrified their families are or will be exposed. And yes, those who choose to return to campus could while others stay remote. But then all the kids and teachers have to be re-shuffled again into new classes to accommodate the existing classes being split up but those family decisions. And on and on with the logistics of it. And what happens if a teacher or a class has to go home to quarantine if someone tests positive? Do we have enough subs, and as parents are we flexible enough to have kids in and out of school in 2-week intervals based on that week's test results? I am fine with waiting a few more weeks to make sure we really are safe before I send my babies back to campus. And I really appreciate the current school boards taking my family's health, the health of their employees and their families, and the community, very seriously, as they should. No one would argue that kids need to be in school in person with teachers, but not at the risk of ANYONE's life.

sacjon Oct 01, 2020 02:33 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

MM1970 - I get all that, I do, but GUSD prepped all summer and was ready to go hybrid in the fall. It was already figured out. They hired extra staff. They did survey after survey and we all said "yes" to hybrid. Then, Newsom shut it all down. OK, fine. Now that he's opening it back up, why can't we go back to the plan they had ready to go? THAT is my question.

dukemunson Oct 01, 2020 02:28 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

MM1970- you’ll be heartened to know that despite being smaller and having more more money and hiring a whole bunch of additional teachers... GUSD is somehow quite a bit behind sb unified! Despite repeated claims to a hybrid model to implement, we aren’t anywhere near opening in any capacity! Unless they lied to us and hadn’t actually made any plans in any capacity, they have the plan! It’s why at least I am quite annoyed... All the number have gone done and everything has gotten better since GUSD expressed in a letter to all parents in July Their extreme disappointment that they couldn’t open and implement their hybrid plan. Literally everything has improved, they got more money and.. no... won’t do anything to progress towards an opening.

bosco Oct 01, 2020 02:22 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

MM. Everything what you listed is being done by many other schools around the world. No one ever said it's easy. But it can be done. What I want to see is the district at least try. Lay out the plan and ask the community for help where needed. If my school's Principle came to the parents and said "we need this, this, and this from the community in order to open". We would try and rally the resources. If that means me spending a couple hours a week being a bathroom monitor than so be it. The district continues to take the easy way out. Better to try and fail than to not even try at all.

mm1970 Oct 01, 2020 02:04 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

SACJON and DUKE, as you may or may not know, my students are in SBUSD, not Goleta. I am well aware that Goleta schools are smaller, have more money, and hired 21 new teachers. (They also have offered independent study, I assume with some of that money).

I am telling you that not all districts have that kind of money. And I never said "it couldn't be done", I have said that I have ACTUAL EXPERIENCE in the trenches (but not in schools), trying to implement changes like this WITHOUT ADDITIONAL STAFF and it's a frigging nightmare. I ALSO have experience in schools trying to figure out how to use your tiny budget and even tinier PTA additions to figure out how to get test scores up.

NEVERMIND all of the state requirements for testing, cleanliness, etc. WITHOUT ADDITIONAL STAFF.

It's not just "cleaning the bathrooms more", when you only have one person on staff. It's hiring additional staff...for every single school. It's also keeping a list of who uses the bathroom and when. Making sure there's only 1 or 2 students there at a time. Recording that, so that if someone later tests positive, you can do contact tracing. OH, but then you end up with a sign up sheet for the bathroom. And... bathroom monitors, I guess? To make sure that there aren't too many students at a time.

Finally, the ONLY reason I sit with my 3rd grader all day is because I have a small house with four people working/going to school and only 3 rooms. It sucks. I get maybe 50% of the work done. I take conference calls in the car. But I have sat down and worked out, how, exactly, you implement "hybrid learning", masks, cleaning, and cohorts. IT'S COMPLICATED.

You should go volunteer your time at the school. If every parent volunteers to monitor students 1 day a week, it would be easy peasy.

Baby steps. Small cohorts, work out the kinks, then hybrid, work out more kinks, then back full time.

I am shocked (not really) at all the complainers with these great "BIG IDEAS" who haven't actually sat down and worked out a detailed plan for how every little thing is going to be addressed. Or haven't offered to do so at the school level. (The bathroom example above is just ONE example.) There's also: bussing, lunch, contact tracing. Nevermind high school when students have 4 different classes and cohorts. I haven't even gone there...

I look forward to hybrid opening as much as everyone else. Sharing an office with an 8 yo sucks. But SBUnified, for one, LITERALLY just started the testing required to do so, a couple of weeks ago.

sacjon Oct 01, 2020 11:22 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

DUKE - I agree 100% - we have the staff and we don't need 5 days a week, full time school. All we want is the hybrid program that GUSD boasted about ALL SUMMER! What happened to that plan? Why can't we do that now that the State of California is allowing our kids to return to school in 12 days from now? They said that's what we're going to do and now we're not??? How is it all of a sudden not a viable option when it was the go-to plan all summer long? The teachers were "thrown off guard" when Newsom banned in-person school at the end of summer. That means, they were prepared and ready for the hybrid program. OK, so now you can do it.... so DO IT! It is completely defeatist to throw their hands up and say nah, too hard now. I can't keep repeating this: GUSD do what you had planned to do all summer! Let our kids back for even a few hours a week! THEY NEED THIS!

dukemunson Oct 01, 2020 10:37 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Our Goleta school has under 300 kids, and the average class size is 20. Their facilities are exponentially nicer than any pre-school...so you are right, it's not the same. IT WOULD BE MUCH EASIER TO OPEN A GOLETA ELEMENTARY AT REDUCED HOURS THAN A PRESCHOOL THAT IS OPEN FROM 730AM TO 530PM! And a note about staffing. The goleta School district had 164 teachers last year. They added another 21. Interestingly enough, in addition to that 185 teachers, they have 291 administrators! Let that sink in for a second. They have tons of staffing...a legit question though is what the heck that staffing does every day...

So I get it MM1970...you can sit with your kid for hours of screen time every day...and it's working for you, awesome! But every business (Including all the schools open) had requirements for "cleaning, testing and bathroom use"...it's embarrassing that our schools dont think they can handle cleaning the bathrooms a bit more and figuring out how to get 287 kids into a classroom for at least a couple days per week. You don't have to go 815 to 3pm...stagger and shorten the days/week! Your defeatist attitude is just appalling...

sacjon Oct 01, 2020 10:15 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

MM1970 - Re: the staffing you say we don't have. GUSD hired 21 young teachers over the summer for the specific purpose of helping out with covid-era difficulties. They have the staffing and the money.

mm1970 Oct 01, 2020 10:07 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

MCINSB, you very eloquently described the long list of requirements and details that most complainers on this page miss. They just want schools to "solve it" without caring, or wondering, how much time and money it will cost. The devil is in the details. The districts are working on the details. "Oh at our preschool..." One entrance and 90 kids? Try one entrance and 400, 500, 600 kids in elementary schools. Not. The. Same. Requirements for cleaning, testing, contract tracing, bathroom use...

This all requires more STAFFING. We don't have that. There isn't money for that. It all comes down to money. SB Unified is going through baby steps and it's fine. You want faster, volunteer your time to monitor cohorts on campus, measure temperatures of kids arriving, etc.

(Gyms more hands on than junior high, have you seen kids in junior high???) Gyms are limited to 10% capacity...

dukemunson Oct 01, 2020 08:03 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

And no... they aren’t going back anytime soon. You would think that after going into the lower tier (and literally being in the even lower tier if you take out Santa Maria) They would be scheduling emergency meetings about how to open. You would think with the October 13 green light they would be working tirelessly for our kids. No... the next meeting is scheduled for late October. It will be the same. The problem with posts like yours is that it assumes/thinks that the school district is going to open in a couple weeks and that everything is being done for/about kids safety. Their inaction is just that though... inaction. When they had to open they were on a hybrid plan... now that they don’t... they won’t. January is best case scenario as it’s going to take at least 3 meetings to open... and they aren’t scrambling to make extra meetings! And last Thing... why again is everything open except schools? One would think preschools, bars and gyms are a bit more hands on then junior highs... right?

dukemunson Oct 01, 2020 07:52 AM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

MCinSb- you would be perfect on the school board! You eloquently and passionately made your points for why school can’t return anytime soon. The school board thrives on people who see a problem and come up with every possible excuse to not solve it! Clog up the streets? Seriously? Stagger the opening... it’s not like a temperature check takes that long... our preschool with no parking lot, one entrance and 90 kids figured it out back in May. With the Goleta school district campuses (which are all spacious and lovely!!) it would be incredibly easy. And as a parent, I am OK with the potential of it having to close at some point... but at least we’ll have had X number of weeks/months. And long term that is the new normal that people need to accept. This isn’t going away... we have to live with it.

mcinsb Sep 30, 2020 10:12 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Sorry, that last sentence should have said "No one would argue that kids don't need to be in school in person with teachers, but not at the risk of ANYONE's life."

Sbrysa Sep 30, 2020 08:16 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

We just made the choice to pull our children out of public school and put them in private. Seeing the joy it brought to them made it the best money we ever spent.

Annps Oct 13, 2020 10:28 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

What private school are they attending? Friends of mine pulled their child from a private school because of the lack of lessons and content. She is now a fourth grader at a public school and is getting a much better education.

Sbrysa Sep 30, 2020 08:58 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Good luck! It was so overwhelming at the tour I almost cried the outpouring of love my kids received as they used to be students there but due to my business being closed for 7 months we had to withdraw them as we lost so much money. But by the grace of god we found a way. We are lucky to be fortunate enough to have another option for them. I do hope we as parents and public schools/ private can collectively work together to help the children get back to school as safely (and realistically) as possible.

bpriest Sep 30, 2020 08:51 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

SBRYSA - Congratulations! I really am happy that you made the move. My wife and I are actively seeking private school. it's been a real eye-opener. I am sure I will agree that it will be the best money ever spent if we can pull it off (whew, it's expensive). keeping our fingers crossed for some many other reasons besides in-person learning.

webguysb Sep 30, 2020 04:57 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

People seem to keep forgetting that although children are seemingly not as badly affected by covid-19, that they are still carriers and transmitters of the virus, so those who use that argument seem to be forgetting about the health, safety and wellness of the broader community of teachers, custodians, school staff, parents, grandparents and other household members. Furthermore, there are many articles indicating that cases are rising as a result of reopening schools too soon: https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/covid-19-cases-rising-us-children-schools-reopen-73318887

Seeing that the CDC is under Trump's perview (and considering his track record of truth telling), I am not trusting of the guidance coming from that office.

Personally, I won't feel comfortable sending my child back to school until we are in the yellow zone with frequent testing and vaccines available for all.

Annps Oct 13, 2020 10:27 PM

Dukemunson:
You are so very out of touch. Teachers typically work at least 30% more hours than they are paid. Then came Covid and distance learning. They are now juggling at least 5 hours of face-to-face teaching with all of the asynchronous lessons and online assignments they have to design, create, and review. Get your facts right. They teach face-to-face from 8:30 - 2:45, then move on to all of the work they put into the asynchronous lessons. Do the math. They are getting very little sleep and have no personal time. You clearly do not know any teachers very well.

Annps Oct 13, 2020 10:21 PM

Dukemunson:
No, the teachers'm children are not in school. They are paying for support for their school-age children who are Zoom, etc. classes just like everyone else.. If that sounds good to you hire your own person to help out. That's what the teachers are doing.
Get your facts straight.

Annps Oct 13, 2020 10:16 PM

Dukemunson:
Did Webguy say he was going to the Funk Zone?
Yes, every other industry that doesn't have to work in a relatively small space (how can you compare grocery store clerks in a huge store, behind plexiglass, to a teacher in a classroom?), with young people who will most likely have a challenging time following distancing and mask protocols.
And aren't restaurants only serving food outside? Are you advocating for students being taught outside all winter?

sacjon Oct 02, 2020 06:03 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

WEBGUYSB - you are not reading anything I say, so I have nothing further to say. You're not posting evidence yet you demand others do so. The fact that we're allowed back to school is all I need.

dukemunson Oct 02, 2020 05:41 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Well, I could listen to WebguySb or I could listen to The medical experts... it’s a tough one... webguy or fauci... the cdc or a guy on Edhat. Some choices are brutal! Going with my gut though on this one...let’s hope they think as critically as webguy!! One follow up... maybe schedule an eye exam... every piece of evidence you share, reference and link says the opposite of what you say... maybe an eye issue! Good thing is eye doctors (like everyone except Public school teachers!) are open, working and ready to help you!!!

webguysb Oct 02, 2020 04:57 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Well, you seem to lack the ability to apply sensical critical thinking in the face of an ongoing pandemic. You don't understand that by rushing to open up schools, you're furthering this problem and not making it better. You don't seem to get that this thing spreads asymptomatically and thrives in indoor environments in which people spend a greater of 15 minutes in. Furthermore, you lack the understanding of how children are vectors for spreading viruses and also the compassion to want to spare unnecessary sickness and deaths of so many teachers, staff, grandparents and other community members... All because you are so eager to get your children out of your home and into an environment in which they can catch and spread the virus and further this pandemic.

You also insist on dismissing the validity of the arguments I present, you fail to cite reliable sources and you resort to insults and divisiveness. I don't care for your claims, I look at the evidence and it speaks for itself.

I'm done arguing with people like you. I am grateful for the virtual academy that my son is enrolled in and will not be sending my son back to school amongst peers whose parents have the attitudes that you people have.

sacjon Oct 02, 2020 04:48 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

WEBGUYSB - 1) We ARE there - we're in the red tier. In 11 days, we will be able to go to school. 2) I'm the one who needs to go back to school? That is a joke. You've been unable to present a coherent argument in 2 days. You post "evidence" that repeatedly contradicts your points. Yeah..... I'm the one needing school. Already have a doctorate, but thanks!

dukemunson Oct 02, 2020 04:38 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

That's pretty funny from the guy who's got a great habit of sending links that directly and completely contradict the point he's trying to make. I applaud it and am thankful for you...your posts are performance art.

dukemunson Oct 02, 2020 04:34 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Not Where? It was obvious we were going to red weeks ago...school board should have booked emergency weekly meetings to plan for reopening...instead...crickets. Next meeting is scheduled for end of the month.

sacjon Oct 02, 2020 04:26 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

WEBGUYSB - Please, read your articles and listen to what we are saying. It's quite simple. Now that we're in the red tier, if we remain there for 14 days (11 more now), then schools are allowed to re-open as long as they have safety precautions in place (see your own "proof" - "Schools that do reopen must have COVID-19 prevention and response plans in place" https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-08-29/when-can-schools-reopen-under-new-state-rules-its-all-about-color-tiers-and-waivers). That means a hybrid model with many many other precautions, just as GUSD has implemented this past summer (or at least what they told us they did). So.... the doctors, the scientists, the Governor are saying it's safe to go back if we keep our numbers where they are. You're beating a dead horse here with and your "evidence" is contradicting your arguments.

sacjon Oct 02, 2020 04:20 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

WEBGUYS - do you read the articles you post as "proof" that's it's not safe to go back to school? "K-12 schools can open only after their county moves to the red tier" --- OK, we're in the red tier now and in 11 days, we'll be able to send our kids back to school based on rigorous science and data that Newsom is basing his decisions on. No, it won't be full time, but hyrbid is better than nothing and IT IS ALLOWED.

I mean seriously, every link to "proof" that you've provided says EXACTLY what we're saying: When the State allows us to send our kids to a hybrid and safe learning model, why can't we? Your "science" is saying the same thing we are, but you don't seem to get that.

dukemunson Oct 02, 2020 04:17 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

IT LITERALLY SAYS IN THE LINK YOU JUST SENT THAT WE CAN OPEN!!! We are in the red tier. We'd be in yellow without Lompoc and Santa Maria.

dukemunson Oct 02, 2020 04:14 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

If you take out Santa Maria and Lompoc, we would be in the yellow tier. Two cities though that are pretty geographically isolated from us (and are over 60 miles away) are keeping us in the higher tiers. So...the numbers are down...and everything is open. Why not schools? Why can everything else be open, but public schools stay closed?
This is where I remind you, for the 517th time, that private schools, pre-schools and the schools for the kids of teachers are all open! Teachers are so worried about schools opening and kids being with other kids that...they have their kids in classrooms right now with other kids!!!

webguysb Oct 02, 2020 04:09 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Here is a link that says that it is still not safe to open schools: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-08-29/when-can-schools-reopen-under-new-state-rules-its-all-about-color-tiers-and-waivers

Please provide your own links that come from these medical experts of yours that indicate otherwise.

webguysb Oct 02, 2020 04:04 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Of course it's not black and white. When I say "stop this thing," what I mean is that we need to limit the spread as much as possible and get the numbers way down. Personally, I'll feel comfortable when we are in the yellow zone and that is achievable if we all work together. The problem is that far too many people are non-mask wearing individuals that ignore the virus and are making the problem far worse than it ever needed to be. Just look at how so many other countries have handled it and are able to get back to normal. The US, California and Santa Barbara is still far from that type of reduction in the spread of this virus that it is still not safe yet.

dukemunson Oct 02, 2020 04:02 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Please, point out my hypocrisy! I'm advocating (OK ranting) for medical experts advice to be followed...which right now is point blank saying that when you are in the tier we're in, schools should be open as it's in the kids best interest. Correct me though and point out my hypocrisy. Because the only hypocrisy I see is people out and about living and doing everything, then turning around and saying public schools should be closed. If you personally are in the camp that says CLOSE EVERYTHING AND HIDE/SHELTER IN PLACE then I'm not calling you a hypocrit. But if you are saying schools should stay closed while everything else is open and you are enjoying/utilizing said EVERYTHING than yes...you are a hypocrite.

webguysb Oct 02, 2020 03:59 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

Thankfully, you don't get to tell me how me and my family can live and especially when to send my child to school during a pandemic SHMONK. Teaching my child to be responsible and safe is exactly what I am doing and I am furthering the message by leading by example.

webguysb Oct 02, 2020 03:46 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

You're putting words in my mouth and making a lot of assumptions DUKEMUNSON. Get off your high horse and look in the mirror at your own hypocrisy.

Shmonk Oct 01, 2020 04:10 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

You and your family can't live in a bubble web guy. Teach your children how to be responsible ans safe and let them go to school lmao

bosco Oct 01, 2020 03:57 PM
One Day Zoom Boycott of GUSD

WEBGUY. The disease is not going away. According to you we should all stop our lives to "stop this thing". That is not factual thinking, we are not going to "stop this thing". You just can't think that way. Rather you have to think about how do we best live and manage this thing. This debate illustrates the fundamental philosophical differences in how we approach risk. On one side you and others view this as black and white. COVID = DEATH. Even while you continue to accept all of life's other risks without question. On the other hand many of us believe the situation is much more complex and has to be approached from a practical standpoint. I doubt anyone here denies that COVID poses risks to individuals. My wife works in healthcare and sees COVID patients on a regular basis. I've heard first hand what this disease can do. But, the healthcare community also understands that there will always be some level of community spread for the foreseeable future. It's a difficult concept, but we have to be ok with that. It's not one way or the other it's a balancing act.

Pages