Tenant Refuses to Leave Property

By an edhat reader

I'm in a situation where I need to speak with a service or attorney about tenants who refuse to leave a rental property. I'm helping my elderly mom rent her (previous) home so she's not in a position to pay a lot of money to get them out. Any recommendations for a reasonable attorney or service to provide guidance is appreciated.

Roger Sep 24, 2020 06:16 PM
Tenant Refuses to Leave Property

"Let you know when the job is done." ?Usually you pay first and the one who pays for the job usually gets more time then the person who does the job when all is said and done...I would do it for free if I could and I'm not tough. I just don't like people who abuse old folks.

Minibeast Sep 23, 2020 10:01 PM
Tenant Refuses to Leave Property

For peace of mind and terrific service, call Lacy Taylor at Goodwin & Thyne: (805) 899-1100. A few years ago I needed an attorney. A trusted, savvy friend of mine told me: "Goodwin & Thyne." That's how I came to hire Lacy. She helped me, advised me. I will be eternally grateful to her for her problem-solving skills. If the present problem is rent debt, you should know the following (addressed to the tenant, but applies to your situation):>>>>>>>>>>>>"No matter if there is an eviction ban in your area, you are still obliged to pay rent. Depending on the language of a ban, your landlord might be able to assess late fees, interest, or other penalties for not paying the rent on time. If you don't think you can pay your rent due to COVID-19 related hardships, you have options, and you should consider talking with your landlord as soon as possible." (Nolo. How Evictions Work)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sometimes just a letter from an attorney, advising that legal procedures are about to ensue, is enough to resolve a problem. I wish you and your Mother luck and easy resolution.

Shame Sep 24, 2020 07:34 AM
Tenant Refuses to Leave Property

It’s sad that it has come down to owning a house and not being able to do what you want with it. Exactly why I will not rent my extra 3 bedrooms . People seem to think they can just do as they please. I was verbally attacked while sitting on my porch by a woman walking by condemning my very beautiful artificial lawn. Which I put in when we could not water.

CGinSB Sep 24, 2020 08:29 AM
Tenant Refuses to Leave Property

First have a look at the SB Rental Housing Mediation Program Pages:
Look at the Landlord and Tenants' Rights info. And call them for further guidance. It's a place to start.

I live in a rental that was recently sold to investors from out of state. All 4 units got a 60-day notice, as the new owners plan to renovate. Last month's rent is waived. It's a shock to be ousted. One tenant has been here over 20 years, one is 70 years old, a family of 4 is leaving SB altogether because rents are so high, a couple is leaving the state. Lousy timing

SBLetsGetAlong Sep 24, 2020 09:32 AM
Tenant Refuses to Leave Property

For starters this is not enough to draw any conclusions on either the tenant or the owner.
All we know is a tenant is refusing to leave.
What we do know dims that SB demands it’s property taxes & the bank wants its mortgage.
There is no forgiveness or wiggle room for the owner of the property.
Whereas a tenant if in in a complex of four or more units, I believe, can hold off on paying rent. But that rent is due in three months, all of it.
So if we all want forgiveness and big hearts, lobby the govt for tax forgiveness & to have banks forgive unpaid mortgages.
Make it fair for everyone.

happy camper Sep 24, 2020 09:58 AM
Tenant Refuses to Leave Property

I'm usually on the side of tenants, but long ago I was a lawyer for a client who owed back rent (can't recall if he had reasons or just financial issues), but the aggrieved landlord removed the door from the entry way into my client's apartment. Clearly not legal, but was rather effective in getting his attention and our willingness to find a compromise.

REX OF SB Sep 24, 2020 01:18 PM
Tenant Refuses to Leave Property

HAPPY C.: I'm sure you're referring to prominent Montecito Realtor "A.R." He took off more than one front door from a scofflaw's dwelling "for repairs." "A.R." was actually a hell of a nice guy, and only went the "door repair" route when the tenants were completely unreasonable. I'm surprised he never got into legal trouble for that.

Andrea Smith Sep 24, 2020 11:40 AM
Tenant Refuses to Leave Property

It looks like some LLs are commenting on her, current and/or former. Question for you LLs: If you had a tenant who was causing damage would you want another tenant to tell you? I've lived where I am for years and have a good relationship w my LL. Someone new moved in next door and there is regular loud/startling bangs on the floor [weight equipment I believe that they are just letting drop on the wood floor] and they really slam the doors. There's also alot of loud dragging and banging noises, likely furniture constantly being dragged around. I know over time these behaviors cause damage. It's also nerve wracking but I hate to complaint to my LL about stuff. Would you want to know?

mielemai Sep 24, 2020 01:02 PM