Crop Damage Due to Heat Wave?

By an edhat reader

I am interested to know the extent of the damage done to Santa Barbara county’s agriculture caused by the heatwave during Labor Day weekend.

PitMix Sep 17, 2020 11:42 AM
Crop Damage Due to Heat Wave?

I read recently that avos are really understory plants that want to be in the shade of a bigger tree. So direct sun is hard for them, and scorching sun is really hard. I watered the heck out of mine the day before and only a few new leaves at the top are scorched. Cover them or water them, that seems to be the solutions.

a-1600356823 Sep 17, 2020 08:33 AM
Crop Damage Due to Heat Wave?

I lost an avocado tree - leaves turned brown over night. Neighbor lost two avocado trees. My citrus trees are fine however.

bradleybennett Sep 17, 2020 06:57 AM
Crop Damage Due to Heat Wave?

I was told by two local farmers that I buy from of pretty extensive damage. Anecdotally one had mentioned losing an entire planting of cucumbers that was about two weeks out from harvest. Another said they lost several acres of tomatoes. Big financial bummer for them.

drellim Sep 16, 2020 05:47 PM
Crop Damage Due to Heat Wave?

Those canabis plant do not do much of anything over 80 degrees. they shut down as most plants do the heat was brutal on most living things stat shaded and cool

805Emesa Sep 16, 2020 03:03 PM
Crop Damage Due to Heat Wave?

I Neemed two nights before and then hosed down our entire Oak Canaped backyard the evening before so everything in planted in ground did well, Flushed my cannabis plants the evening before but had to water/feed almost the next day, I was worried about ash ruining my crop but luckily the ash really never materialized and we just ended up with smoke up high in the sky. I saw a neighbors peach tree bit the dust.
I am sure everybody has heard what the fires have done to the vineyards and outdoor cannabis crops up north, throw away status. Feel sorry for all around us that have had to deal with yet another incredibly fierce fire season but I am also glad the SB area has been spared (so far).

ginger1 Sep 16, 2020 11:35 AM
Crop Damage Due to Heat Wave?

I can report what happened in my yard. Lost an already weakened and old lemon tree. Other citrus minor leaf damage. Apple tree has scorched fruit and leaves. Fig trees moved rapidly into winter dormancy and remaining unripe fruit was lost. Guavas fruit total loss. In the forest, "unmanaged" coast live oaks have at least 50% burned/dying leaves. They wont care in the long term but have added more combustibles to the forest floor. My "managed" oak trees (water, pruning) fared far better. Redwoods required hundred of gallons of water and daily misting and they are fine. 4 days of near zero solar energy, blocked by the smoke layer did not help the plants recovery, but at least it kept temps and evaporation down.

The agricultural hit is one thing but we should be most concerned about the increased fuel load in the forest. This is only the beginning of "fire season." Be VERY careful on the trails and immediately report any careless or suspicious behavior. "If you see something, do something."

OpossumBoy Sep 16, 2020 10:39 AM
Crop Damage Due to Heat Wave?

In the S.B. foothills here. Hundreds of avocado trees got totally scorched. The leaves are dead, tons of fruit have fallen, only to feed the rodents. I’ve never seen it like this. When I first moved up here over twenty years ago, the east fork of San Roque Creek flowed year round along and across the Jesusita Trail. Not anymore: There has been a lot of change in the last couple decades.

Emmenanthe Sep 16, 2020 09:55 AM
Crop Damage Due to Heat Wave?

A pertinent question! Thank you for asking and thanks to the person who responded with information.

goleta.observer Sep 16, 2020 09:32 AM
Crop Damage Due to Heat Wave?

We lost quite a bit of lemons/avocados from the Sunday heat. We had 114+ in the Goleta foothills. A lot of current year avocados ended up on the ground and a small amount of damage to next years crop. Some trees got pretty bad leaf scorch but nothing like July of two years ago.