By an edhat reader

I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer, but first a little background.

I can't count the number of times I've seen the same Carp Sheriff "hiding" on the Northbound center divider near Bates Rd. He's there at 7:30 AM in the middle of rush hour, so there is virtually no way to speed, but nabbing single people in the HOV lane is like shooting fish in a barrel.  When he gets someone, they then pull across three lanes of traffic to the shoulder, which causes the traffic to be even worse behind them and open the door for more problems like collisions and road rage.

My first question... is this legal or within his jurisdiction to do on 101?

Second... is it safe to be parked on the center divider like that?

Third... is this ethical?

Please discuss and enlighten me with facts.

Notmyname Aug 19, 2020 12:49 PM
Carpinteria Sheriff Hiding on 101?

Wednesday 8/18 at 7:22 AM. a black and white SUV abruptly pulled off the road and backed in to the little nook on the center divider. This happened just ahead of me so I saw it all, and the door on the vehicle said “Police”, just like all the Sheriff in Carpinteria.

Tell me again how I didn’t see this, I’m wrong or just making it up.

Rio Sandoo Aug 15, 2020 11:18 AM

OMG.
Most of you folks must be under the age of 20.
Have any of you seen the movie Smokey and the Bandit, or Cannonball Run how about BJ & The Bear?
My point is if it's a sheriff Deputy, they have jurisdiction all the way up to the county line in Santa Maria and Rincon point.
Yes they can pull you over and write you a ticket if you are breaking the traffic laws.
Yes I have been pulled over for a broken tail light by a sheriff's deputy just south of the padaro lane on ramp.
The irony of it is the Deputy was driving a sheriff's car with a broken headlight.
I was able to talk my way out of the broken tail light. The real reason why the sheriff pulled me over was because of my erratic driving behavior.
It went down something like this:
I was in the fast lane and this car ( the sheriff's car, I didn't know it was a sheriff's car because it was 10:00 Friday night) with a broken headlight had been tailgating me from Sheffield exit on the southbound side of the 101. Soon after I pass the Padera lane exit I accelerated quite rapidly, change lanes without a blinker from the fast lane to the right lane, and passed the car that was in front of me on the right hand side. Immediately after that excellent execution of superb driving the one light car behind me turned into a bunch of wig wag lights and emergency lights. I pulled over in front of padaro Beach. He said that he pulled me over because I had a broken light but because I was also driving erratically and passing on the right and wanted to check to see if I had been drinking.
I told him I don't drink and then I thought it was kind of ironic being pulled over for a broken light seeing that his headlight was broken as well, it was a funny the sherrif let me off with a warning.
So yes Sheriff can pull you over on any Public Road in the county. Correction private road too if you consider Hope Ranch I've been pulled over there too back in high school. And despite what you may have seen in old movies if they're in the pursuit they can cross into the adjacent counties especially if they're chasing the axe murderer. And yes if they are LA Police transporting a prisoner to the California men's colony you're doing something seriously illegal they will pull you over with the prisoner in the back of their squad car. Oh and game wardens can pull you over to and so can State Rangers. Moral of the story is if you're driving in the HOV lane and you're not a Tesla or have more than two people in the car you're going to get pulled over no matter which law enforcement agency is at the side of the road.
And if you do get a ticket and you think you can fight it please let me know your court date I'll bring the popcorn.
Common Sense folks!

yacht rocked Aug 15, 2020 02:10 PM
Carpinteria Sheriff Hiding on 101?

Ah, the old broken headlight ruse. Officer takes a wet paper towel, puts it over a headlight and starts looking for someone to pullover. Person being followed thinks...can't be a cop because one headlight is way dim. Officer does the vehicle stop and on the way to the driver's side window, sweeps the paper towel off the headlight. This I learned in 1979 - I'd rather not say where, but it was authoritative.

a-1597516074 Aug 15, 2020 11:27 AM
Carpinteria Sheriff Hiding on 101?

I like your response, Rio Sandoo. But I'm probably older than you, and I have never seen the Sheriff's department doing traffic enforcement- just Highway Patrol on the highways and city police on city streets. Your experience is interesting.

RHS Aug 15, 2020 08:38 AM
Carpinteria Sheriff Hiding on 101?

When the Sheriff contracts with cities to do cop work they almost universally increase the number of citations they issue (from what was being issued by them before the city came along). This is probably related to the fact that cities get a share of these tickets as revenue and the Sheriff can protect their license to do local cop work by this method. Goleta Sheriff/Police deputies were regularly patrolling the 101 and hiding at the corner of Glen Annie and Hollister to ticket folks. I agree that it is excessive and seems less designed to make the streets safer than to get bucks.

a-1597504956 Aug 15, 2020 08:22 AM
Carpinteria Sheriff Hiding on 101?

Come on, people. The question asked is "What's up with this sheriff parked on the center divider?" Can't you readers infer that the reason for this question is that a sheriff doesn't normally do this? Yet you question it, and the intent of the author. Geez.

GeneralTree Aug 15, 2020 08:18 AM
Carpinteria Sheriff Hiding on 101?

In the US, if that highway or freeway is in the city limits where the police officer ot sherriff has jurisdiction. Yes, they can give you a ticket on the highway or interstate.

Notmyname Aug 15, 2020 08:03 AM
Carpinteria Sheriff Hiding on 101?

To answer some of the points brought up and hopefully clarify because I guess I wasn't clear enough to not cause confusion.... I was incorrect about the location. It's is that little nook on the CENTER divider at the top of the grade by HWY 150. Sorry for that error.
It is definitely SBSO and not CHP. I am aware that CHP regularly stages at construction zones for visibility and safety. You get to the top of the hill and boom, he's there. That's not how CHP stage for construction as they are usually within "the cone zone" and not 2 miles down the road.
Yes, I have seen him pull people over across 3 lanes of traffic.
Yes, law enforcement is supposed to write tickets, hence they are enforcing the law.
No, I haven't gotten a ticket.
No, my commute is fine as I leave with plenty of time to get to where I need to.
No, I'm not "outraged", angry or even miffed about it. I just couldn't find answers anywhere else and was curious about the safety and jurisdiction of this.
I hope this cleared up the questions a little. Please pay no mind to those that seem to know what I see and how I feel about things. I'm not sure how they are able to accomplish mind reading over the internet, but I guess I need to look at my firewall. ;)

SBLetsGetAlong Aug 15, 2020 07:20 AM
Carpinteria Sheriff Hiding on 101?

So the question was, is it legal for a police officer to ticket someone breaking the law?
I thought that was a given.
But I Guess it depends, if it were an ICE officer enforcing immigration laws, many here would say it’s not ok to enforce immigration laws.
Who gets to pick & choose which laws will be enforced?

REX OF SB Aug 15, 2020 01:13 AM
Carpinteria Sheriff Hiding on 101?

He is wrong. It's most definitely the CHP. They're there all the time. I've never seen an SBSO unit staking out the 101anywhere near Carp.

oceandrew Aug 14, 2020 01:18 PM
Carpinteria Sheriff Hiding on 101?

I'm curious... did you actually see "Carp Sheriff" pull someone over for HOV infractions? Did you actually see infracted vehicle with Sheriff in tow navigate across 3 lanes of traffic? 'Coz I think you're just making stuff up to justify your outrage. That's how your piece read to me so I could be wrong.

SBREADER Aug 14, 2020 11:23 AM
Carpinteria Sheriff Hiding on 101?

"Carp Sheriff's" do not go on the freeway. It is a CHP. I expect they know what they are doing better than the poster.

yacht rocked Aug 14, 2020 10:47 AM
Carpinteria Sheriff Hiding on 101?

S/he's there to raise awareness about the Caltrans workers who are working on the shoulders and in the center divider for the next mile or two, as well as awareness about construction trucks pulling off into the center divider area, and exiting the center divider into the fast lane from a standing start. If traffic's a problem for you, leave earlier to give yourself more time. It's going to be a couple of decades before it will be three lanes through Montecito.

OpossumBoy Aug 14, 2020 11:00 AM
Carpinteria Sheriff Hiding on 101?

thanks for the well worded reply. Anybody that watched the CHP traffic website for this area would know that is precisely the case.