By Cyndie

The Bristol Farms sign is up!!! I called Bristol Farm's corporate office and they confirmed that the La Cumbre Plaza location will open on August 20th. Finally!!

SB Barbarian Aug 12, 2020 11:07 AM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

Between Las Positas and State and La Cumbre and State, we will have now 3 "upscale" grocery stores within the 93105 area code. That's great, if you are employed, or not sick or old, or both. I guess the "demo" will support it. Certainly, not Grace Villagee, the affordable Senior housing next door that was built when Vons was still there. Residents there cannot own vehicles, hence walking distance to affordable food was part of the plan. Now, not so much.

a-1597262020 Aug 12, 2020 12:53 PM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

Target is right next door to Grace Village. They sell food. Plus low income seniors have very low cost meal delivery options. And the Grocery Outlet store is a very short bus ride down State Street to De la Vina and Alamar - best grocery bargains in town. Not a problem.

SB Barbarian Aug 12, 2020 08:36 PM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

I buy groceries for three households on fixed incomes. I do not reside at Grace Village, I live near Cottage. I do not own a vehicle (I'm eligible for GV). I am limited to what I can carry walking and using the bus. There used to be a Ralph's a few years ago where the Grocery Outlet is now, but it closed. A supermarket in the neighborhood was pretty much one stop shopping for all 3 households. It offered stable variety at reasonable costs. The dismissive, "it's only a few hundred feet", and "If you want edible quality veggies and fruit then you're gonna have to pay." comment is not useful. I have to make multiple stops to get the variety I need now, and I spend 50% more time and 25% more money. Cost is an issue, but it is exacerbated by limited proximity to a full service supermarket. After the Haggen fiasco in 2015, things have gone down hill, grocery-wise for average folks. I don't expect a consistent variety of groceries to be free, just proximity to where average folks live. We already have a Lazy Acres, why a Bristol Farms within a mile of Gelson's and Whole Foods? Who needs that much gluten-free "natural" stuff anyway?

REX OF SB Aug 13, 2020 12:51 AM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

The problem with Grocery Outlet is that it combines all the worst features of Smart & Final and Dollar General. I'd love to see a real supermarket go back to that location.

letmego Aug 13, 2020 08:58 AM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

Remember there's still Trader Joe's not too far from the old dirty Ralph's. Produce prices are reasonable and quality is reasonable. I will say that the Haggen fiasco did show how poor the quality was at my local Albertson's before the switch.

Also: I need the gluten free stuff. But I can get that at Vons. You have to dig for it, but it's there. Actually GF bread is cheapest at Trader Joe's.

Babycakes Aug 20, 2020 02:57 PM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

You can find quality everywhere, but everything about Bristol Farms is about quality: quality veggies, quality meat, quality this, and quality that. Bristol Farms also hires its employees based on a number of metrics, but the essential thing is that the workers are service oriented to serve the customer each and every day. Most places have one or two of these employees, but for BF, I'd guess the number is close to 95%. BF is not for everyone for various reasons, but one thing that I learned a long time ago was that if you want/expect quality....you have to pay for it.

tagdes Aug 12, 2020 12:42 PM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

No problem for affordable, Smart and Final is only a couple of hundred feet further. If you want edible quality veggies and fruit then you're gonna have to pay.

SB Barbarian Aug 12, 2020 08:56 PM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

Maybe no problem if you are not 75, or 80 with a walker. I assert that it is a little more than "a few hundred feet to Smart and Final." At least it's not uphill. I generally appreciate it when my food is "edible quality", which is a pretty low bar, no?

Justavoice Aug 12, 2020 10:04 PM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

Sb barbarian, have you looked into moving? It seems like it’s not working out for you here.

SB Barbarian Aug 14, 2020 09:10 AM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

I've lived here for 60 years. I am commenting about one aspect of one part of SB which happens to be true. I'm guessing that the tenants at that majestic masterpiece of "architecture", The Marc, will appreciate the opportunity to overpay for food. And you, too, obviously.

a-1597319572 Aug 13, 2020 04:52 AM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

I sure do miss having Vons so close. Current Bristol Farms flyer has $3 avocados, corn 4/$3, flank steak $9.79/lb, save $4.20/lb. Looks like a Gelson's. I don't do regular shopping there either.

a-1597422413 Aug 14, 2020 09:26 AM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

Too bad so many locals refused to cross the picket lines a few years ago over a totally unacceptable union bargaining issue, and basically told Von's they were not welcome in this town. Union wanted an open ended blank check for 100% health insurance funding costs. No business can write that sort of blank check, and lose all negotiating rights with the health insurance companies themselves. But that was local "progressive" virtue signaling on steroids and Vons decided this was not a town that wanted them to operate here.

letmego Aug 20, 2020 03:05 PM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

and on the Mesa, and in Montecito...and don't forget Albertsons. They are one and the same.

salsa guy Aug 13, 2020 08:35 AM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

I think the knock on Grocery Outlet is totally out of line. Their business model is to buy short code life products at low prices and pass those savings on to their customer’s. It’s a good model! Bristol Farms / Lazy Acres we’re part of Albertsons/Safeway/Vons. They have recently been spun off to an independent group of investors. As to shopping for seniors, I see vans all the time outside of local grocery stores. Is there a senior bus service available?

a-1597333318 Aug 13, 2020 08:41 AM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

I'm always happy to see people put down Grocery Outlet. That leaves more for me and this is important as they often have limited supplies of close out and aging items. Not to mention a mixed bag of decent wines.

OWLworks Aug 13, 2020 11:00 AM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

Bristol farm is not a farm. These are feeding troughs we cows can all limp toward, based on status and risk? They usually come from the same place--different prices and dates. Hey just brought 2 giant delicious avocados for $4. With the .99 cent ones you often get a half rotten one. Looking for the pearl!

M.

MaxPilot Aug 13, 2020 09:39 PM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

It's a bummer when people mock new business. This will be an additional 75 jobs? or more? for the local economy and a boost to the tax base! Hooray Bristol Farms!! Welcome to SB!!!!

a-1597380522 Aug 13, 2020 09:48 PM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

Not really a "new business" though. There were a similar number of jobs previously when Von's was there.

yojamey Aug 20, 2020 02:27 PM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

I went to the soft opening this morning... Giant and upscale... My understanding is that Bristol Farms also operates Lazy Acres... According to Wikipedia the whole shebang is now owned by EMart (South Korea's largest retailer). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Farms#Lazy_Acres_Market_Inc.

ChemicalSuperFreak Aug 20, 2020 03:13 PM
Bristol Farms to Open Next Week

Bristol Farms has some very nice and difficult to find things, but you'll pay through the nose for them. For example, I happen to enjoy Sioux City Birch Beer (a soda similar to root beer), and they're one of the only places I've been able to find it consistently.