By John Wiley

Our internet via Cox isn't working this morning near the intersection of Highway 101 at 154. There's no indication of when it might be fixed. In user comments on the Cox site are indications it may be related to the Cox DNS system that routes users internet connections. If so, it may be possible for users to fix it by changing the DNS settings in their Cox internet router (not their WiFi router, even though that function may be combined within the same Cox router box).

Is your Cox working? TV and internet, or only one of those? We're online right now via the Verizon internet connection on our phones. Here's a U.S. Cox outage map as of 9:18am, and a SB County map as of 9:35am. You can find this map and Cox outage info at this website address: https://downdetector.com/status/cox-communications/map/

oceandrew Aug 06, 2020 01:23 PM
Cox Internet Outage

No problems @ Cat Oaks & Turnpike.

Minibeast Aug 06, 2020 02:13 PM
Cox Internet Outage

Called Cox last night around 1:00 a.m. when internet went out around 12:30 a.m.. There was a pre-recorded "Apology to our users" (or such like) that necessary work would be done and internet would be (in and) out from midnight until 6:00 a.m. Our internet was out from 1:00 a.m. until around 2:00 a.m. and then came back on. Upper Eastside.

letmego Aug 06, 2020 02:13 PM
Cox Internet Outage

We've had a few outages here and there. Hopefully they get it all worked out before (virtual) school starts.

Minibeast Aug 06, 2020 02:14 PM
Cox Internet Outage

edit: Well-----outage started around 12:30 a.m., came back on, went out . . . Hence 1-2 a.m.

REX OF SB Aug 06, 2020 04:10 PM
Cox Internet Outage

And, in other daily event news…

forrealnews Aug 06, 2020 04:40 PM
Cox Internet Outage

How is this even news?!!! Cox is down all the time. It happens downtown practically every day.

pstarSR Aug 06, 2020 06:03 PM
Cox Internet Outage

I always find these funny, internet outage? but you posted on an internet blog, using the internet.......I know maybe they used their phone, but still find it funny

John Wiley Aug 06, 2020 09:54 PM
Cox Internet Outage

You're right of course, it's wildly Hilarious. Still, I hope you don't encounter this sort of entertainment while trying to do something important via your internet connection. While the U.S. map showed some widespread outages, here in SB County it seemed to only be a factor in a few parts of the SB/Goleta area. My impression is that's because the 3rd party site I used tallies the people reporting outages via their site. If anyone knows how to get that info directly from Cox please share. They have an option to log in that I didn't try, having recalled it not being helpful in the past.

John Wiley Aug 06, 2020 10:10 PM
Cox Internet Outage

Warm thanks to those who shared their own experiences, both with working connections and providing details about their outages. You all helped me to get my own working again, and maybe others with outages today knew from your Comments the extent of the outage and they silently waited for it to be fixed. I took the opportunity to reset and update some things. While rummaging the web, I also decided to buy and try an $8 MoCA (Multimedia over Coax Alliance) POE (Point Of Entry) Filter where the Cox cable enters our house. Adds to security and may increase Cox net speed and/or reliability. Cheap and simple to try, and if it degrades the net connection at all removal is even quicker. If you're curious, google it or you can read about the MoCA POE filter here: https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/blue-sky/ct-bsi-moca-filter-security-20170822-story.html

ginger1 Aug 07, 2020 09:50 AM
Cox Internet Outage

First, in my experience, Cox does go down from tome to tome, often for less than 5 minutes. In the last year there has been but one few-hour outage in my neighborhood. Next, I've used OpenDNS for my dns server connection for years. Works great and allows for securing web traffic if desired. They have zero-cost solutions. And finally, this Cox monopoly problem will go away when the 5G system(s) are fully operational. The telcoms have got them installed all over town. More every day. In the meantime, LTE hot spot from the iPhone works just fine when Cox does not. No reason not to ever be connected. How sad is that?

John Wiley Aug 07, 2020 10:36 AM
Cox Internet Outage

Thanks for the details and ideas. Cox has been pretty solid for us too, with only the occasional hiccup streaming in prime time. In fact the worst of those in years was a day or two ago, when I downgraded to 720p so it would play. I thought about OpenDNS too but went with Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) and Google (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.8.4) as secondary. Interestingly, somehow Cox was able to add their DNS and recently startled me when a Google search went to the Cox page. As for 5G, that's a big can of worms and eventually we'll start seeing lawsuits about health concerns and GPS interference. Like you, I just turned on a hotspot on my Android phone. One thing I was pondering though, is that Cox was probably pushing overnight cable modem firmware updates and ours was interrupted by overnight activity on our connection. It would be nice if they'd advise customers in advance, but easy to see why that would add a lot of extra work for them - added to staff COVID physical distancing measures. Overall, Cox is surprisingly good relative to other big ISPs and in our monopoly market they could get away with being vastly worse.