Pick Up Poop Bags title=

By an edhat reader

I'm at Noleta resident who spends a lot of time walking along the Goleta bike path near More Mesa. Something I've been noticing recently is that there are a lot of people that walk their dogs through here that will bring along little bags that they scoop up the poop and then just drop the bag on the side of the trail. This is not only disgusting, but it's really bad for the environment and really selfish of these people.

I know that at most of the entrances to this walking area there are trash cans and it would not be that big of a deal to put your little poop bag in another plastic baggie and walk it to a trash can. What can we as a community do to encourage people to throw away their pet's poop?

Curmudgeon Aug 04, 2020 12:10 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

In my neighborhood many dogs poop on my lawn (some on leash, some off) and the majority of handlers pick up after them. I still don't like it given the residue that remains. If I see it happening I open the door and ask, "Excuse me, but do you let your dog do its business on your OWN lawn!?" Last week a young woman watched as her leashless dog ran up on the lawn and let fly with a pretty good mound. The clueless owner looked around for a few moments as if to see who might be watching and then casually walked away. It was caught on a webcam as I await her return!

a-1596569283 Aug 04, 2020 12:28 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

Wow, you sound very invested, and aggressive. Don't forget, the first 10-15 ft into your property is likely public ROW.

PitMix Aug 04, 2020 12:41 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

12:28, that 10 ft city easement is usually covered by the parkway and sidewalk. But it is true that if you want to keep dogs off your lawn, a low fence is very helpful. I haven't ever seen a dog owner let their dog hop a fence - they just move on to the next available lawn.

FernaldPoint93108 Aug 04, 2020 12:42 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

Most likely the public has NO right of way on Curmudgeon's lawn

PitMix Aug 04, 2020 12:48 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

When I see this I ask the owner, do you need a bag? This has always embarrassed them into picking it up and taking it with them after I give them a bag.

sandy1 Aug 04, 2020 06:04 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

What can you do about it short of committing some kind of physical act against the dog owner . I have 2 neighbors that literally go F myself after catching them several times. I would like to pick it up and through it in her face or stuff it down her shirt. Now I leave it for all to enjoy. :(

sandy1 Aug 04, 2020 06:09 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

Sometimes that works other times not.

a-1596600588 Aug 04, 2020 09:09 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

Perhaps you can post the video on Next Door. Some public shaming sounds like it's in order.

FernaldPoint93108 Aug 04, 2020 12:20 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

I see poop bags, new and months old, on pretty much every trail in Santa Barbara. I think most dog owners are fine but some just don't care about properly disposing of it. They are happy to leave poop bags everywhere.

oceandrew Aug 04, 2020 02:16 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

And the sad thing is that if one dog owner leaves their dog's poop bag behind it's taken as a sign by other dog owners that it's okay to do the same. 'Coz you know... people and lemmings have a lot in common.

LCP112233 Aug 04, 2020 03:06 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

That's true oceandrew. I have seen piles of poop bags before. Gross.

pstarSR Aug 04, 2020 12:21 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

id love it if people did this also. I mean you bagged it...... you allllllmost followed through, just one more step.

a-1596570117 Aug 04, 2020 12:41 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

The Poop Bag People clearly aren’t thinking things through. By the same logic it should be OK to put an empty beer can or a dirty diaper in a brown bag, tie it up and leave it on the ground.

PitMix Aug 04, 2020 12:47 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

I see dirty diapers left next to the curb in my westside neighborhood fairly often.

LCP112233 Aug 04, 2020 03:04 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

@12:41. Truly, if everyone did that the place would look like a dump. I never leave our poop bags on the ground. If there is no trash where you are at, be prepared with a backpack and a zip lock baggie to house your soiled dog poop bags. Works great, and leaves no trash.

RHS Aug 05, 2020 10:02 AM
Pick Up Poop Bags

I see curbed bags of trash from fast food restaurants in my area from time to time. Some people are amazingly brazen and selfish. But among the worst regular trash are those small plastic floss things. Why use them in public? Why not put them in your own pocket for disposal later?

PitMix Aug 04, 2020 12:46 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

I try look at the positive side, that usually people who do this are intending to get the bag on their way back and just forget. I have done this at Hendry's a number of times, so now I draw a big line in the sand to remind myself. I am immune to the side effects of carrying a full bag by volunteering at the local shelters- there is so much poo there that you just stop caring about the smell. So recommend this to the people that are offended by the pearls dropping out of their precious pups. If you are intentionally leaving these bags behind and don't intend to pick them up, it is littering subject to a high fine. In some countries in Europe, they are willing to do DNA testing on the poo to prove it is from your dog. I think that was usually done to unbagged droppings though.

forrealnews Aug 04, 2020 01:30 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

It is important that those who don't have dogs know that the majority of those with dogs who walk those areas, myself included, bag our dog's poop and leave at the side of the trail , not under people's feet, and are responsible owners taking our dog on good runs without having to carry crap around with us. We pick the poop up on the way back and throw in the garbage. But we are often there for at least an hour or so giving them and ourselves good exercize. Many of us, including myself, pick up more than one bag of poop because we understand when someone forgets and there isn't one of us that hasn't forgotten. If we all didn't care and just left all of our dogs' poop there, you would see close to 100 bags a day which is absolutely never near the case. Tons of people take their dogs there regularly and the fact that the trail isn't filled with bags shows you most of throw them away and most of the ones you are see are people still on the trail or beach who haven't come back yet. If people really didn't care, you'd just see tons of dog poop not even in a bag. Now, what should we do about the bike riders there who ride too quickly through walkers and who do the jumps and hills so fast that they come out onto the trails almost hitting walkers they do see until they are on the other side flying 100 miles an hour?

a-1596576080 Aug 04, 2020 02:21 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

Y'know, that whataboutism at the end lost you whatever bonafides you might have got from your long post.

pstarSR Aug 04, 2020 06:04 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

honestly, no. the idea of bagging it and leaving it "for later" is still not ok. its your trash, take it with you. if you dont like dealing with dog poop, dont own a dog. it is not everyone else's problem to deal with you " wanting to have a good time while walking your dog.... " so that we have to deal with your poop bag ( which is littering, at its basic level ). the poop alone would be better than a poop bag on the ground, do you not get that? and about bikes, yeah...... im gona agree with the other comment. get off your high horse, those trails are NOT only for runners/ walkers. which honestly I have had worse interactions with runners on trails than bikers.

a-1596591537 Aug 04, 2020 06:38 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

Dozens of bags left all over Wilcox.

a-1596600291 Aug 04, 2020 09:04 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

Yeah, you see the same thing at Lake Los Carneros. Lots of poop bags left around the trails and no, they are still there the next day. Take that stuff with you!

forrealnews Aug 05, 2020 12:40 AM
Pick Up Poop Bags

You guys can whine all you want. There will still be bags there and dog owners like me will be happily keep picking up multiple of them on the way back because we get it. To the person who said the same ones are there the next day...unless you tagged the bag somehow, there is no way you'd be able to identify exactly the same bag in exactly the same spot of exactly the same color, weirdo. Meanwhile, you don't say a word while people don't wear masks around town spreading a deadly virus. The bike comment, if you actually read it, wasn't about a problem with biking. I bike too. It's about bike jerks, multiple of whom have almost crashed into people on a regular basis on More Mesa.

Lem4058 Aug 04, 2020 02:20 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

I hate it when I see abandoned poop bags. I've seen them with in feet of public trash cans. I live downtown and walk all over the place with my dog. Never leave the apartment without poop bags and paper towels in case the challenging poop. And I farging carry my bags till I find a garbage can. Sheesh!

m-cubed Aug 04, 2020 03:37 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

This is the same mentality as wearing a mask below the nose.

Coolio Aug 04, 2020 04:31 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

What I find real disgusting is when I'm at the beach with someones dog off leash taking a shit and the owner is either not paying attention are doesn't give a f***.

sandy1 Aug 04, 2020 06:17 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

See no evil, Smell no evil, Become the evil .

Justavoice Aug 04, 2020 06:30 PM

Welcome to north LA...should have kept it 90 miles away

a-1596591454 Aug 04, 2020 06:37 PM

No, not North LA but Entitled Santa Barbara

liberty Aug 04, 2020 09:00 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

Dog walkers drop the bag on the side of the trail. With the plan to pick it up on the way back. The system works. Sometimes people forget to grab the bag on the walk back.

The solution is the City/County should out more trash can along the paths, on the Douglas Preserve, etc. Then people will be less inclined to drop their bag if they only have to walk a short while to a trash can. Right now, trash cans are often miles apart.

PitMix Aug 05, 2020 07:49 AM
Pick Up Poop Bags

More trash cans means more work to empty them means more workers means higher City budgets means higher taxes. As long as dog owners are willing to pay more each year for this. How about dog licenses costing $100/yr?

liberty Aug 05, 2020 02:37 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

This is how a city works. Government provides basic services so people can enjoy public areas. We do pay taxes, lots of taxes. I am sure there are services you use that dog walkers don’t use. Get it?

dmc53 Aug 04, 2020 09:56 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

If this really seriously bothers you, just carry a large bag and collect the small poop bags. It won't hurt a lot. It will then allow you to feel superior.

ginger1 Aug 04, 2020 10:35 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

Please don't! It drives me crazy when the bag I left to pick up on my way back is not where I thought I left it. Did my dog actually poop or was that yesterday? Did I pick it up and already throw it in the trash? Where the hell did I leave that thing? I'm pretty sure I left it over there, or did I leave it over there?

But seriously. It is pretty unsightly (and often smelly) to leave the bag for later pick up and I don't do that anymore because of that. It would be nice if there were more trash cans around for quick disposal. But sometimes there are not. So I often "double bag" to reduce the smell and jut deal with it.

I always have extra on hand for that, and to be able to offer one to the dog walker who "forgot" to bring his/her own. Hendry's had far more dropped bags than usual this past weekend. Wonder if that had anything to do with the hordes of masked visitors from LA.

a-1596638196 Aug 05, 2020 07:36 AM
Pick Up Poop Bags

When you go backpacking, it is considered proper etiquette to dig a cat hole for the waste, and carry the soiled paper with you for proper disposal. Sometimes that can be for more than a day. If my dog poops, I put it in a little bag - sometimes two for a good seal - and carry it with me for proper disposal. Leaving it by the side of the trail is very easy to forget, and being in a plastic bag, it won't ever even degrade and you're also adding plastic to the environment. No snarkers, not saying don't put it in a bag; I'm saying carry it with you. Your dog, your responsibility.

PitMix Aug 05, 2020 07:47 AM
Pick Up Poop Bags

Most bags now are biodegradable and will disintegrate once moisture gets to them. Ask any dog owner that has tried to use an old bag that was exposed to the elements at one time. Messy. What is curious to me is the poop can't go into the green waste so I think it is going into the landfill for 1000-yr storage. It seems more environmental to flush it using laundry water because then the nutrients will be recycled, right?

PitMix Aug 05, 2020 07:55 AM
Pick Up Poop Bags

Homeowners don't exactly appreciate people putting the smelly bags into their trash cans, either, so I think the proper etiquette is to carry the output from Precious back to your house. The only time I will do it is if Marborg is coming to pick up that day.

a-1596647448 Aug 05, 2020 10:10 AM
Pick Up Poop Bags

At least if you just kick it into a hedge, the poop biodegrades. But encased in a plastic bag leaves this forever when you dump it behind. Even worse is dumping the plastic poop bag in someone's green waste can which the owner then has to fish out before the green waste truck comes. At first I thought it was just few clueless persons who dump their plastic poop bags, but the reports are now universal. What goes on in their brains - virtue-signal by picking up the poop; then their brain short-circuits by dumping the poop bag for someone else to clean up. What else do people like that do in the rest of their lives, if this is their inbred value system?

PitMix Aug 06, 2020 08:19 AM
Pick Up Poop Bags

They grow up to be president.

TJTom Aug 05, 2020 10:41 AM
Pick Up Poop Bags

I agree with "The idea of bagging it and leaving it "for later" is still not OK. its your trash, take it with you."

It's also NOT OK to put the bag in someone else's trash can where it could sit and stink for up to a week.

goletatim Aug 05, 2020 11:03 AM
Pick Up Poop Bags

in 2016 I saw trail side poo bags marked with little toothpick flags that said "HILLARY"

lilbird Aug 05, 2020 10:54 AM
Pick Up Poop Bags

It’s simple: Dog owners should never “leave it to get later” because they obviously forget! Or bags of poop are falling from the sky. Trash it in a Marborg trash bin. Simple.

a-1596665405 Aug 05, 2020 03:10 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

When I see them "hidden" for alleged later pick up, I put it back in the middle of the sidewalk so they don't forget. And they never come back to pick them up. Agree, it is your poop. Keep it under your control at all times. Or at least kick it raaw into the hedges were it can bio-degrade, rather than entombed forever in plastic.

a-1596665440 Aug 05, 2020 03:10 PM
Pick Up Poop Bags

Your dog, your poo, my yard is not your loo.