By an edhat reader

Did the Apple Store on State Street close permanently?

Always_Running Aug 01, 2020 01:52 PM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

Website shows it’s temporarily closed. I read an article somewhere that Apple store managers where given the discretion to close store if local infection rates exceed a comfortable level. https://www.apple.com/retail/statestreet/

sandy1 Aug 01, 2020 02:31 PM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

I just installed a new hard drive on my Toshiba Satellite laptop , and after installation disk ran I get bootmgr is missing . Can anyone recommend a fix or reliable repair shop ? Thx.

ChemicalSuperFreak Aug 01, 2020 03:46 PM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

SANDY1: Wow! That's an old laptop series. I had one some years back. Can you access the BIOS on startup and see if the new drive is listed?

localnewspeace Aug 02, 2020 12:04 PM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

Sandy, I loved my Toshiba Satellite. I have had mostly good luck with Tech Ease on State. They office with Mac Mechanic. Peace.

mp805 Aug 02, 2020 09:15 PM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

did you fix this SANDY1? Toshiba Satellite series is a great line. I updated one to Win10 with a new harddrive a while back. Good Luck!

sandy1 Aug 04, 2020 08:16 AM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

No fix . Won't access Bio or Boot menus . Tried boot disks repair disks. Old HDD says boot file was corrupted unsigned recovery disk. New HDD ONLY shows BOOTMGR is missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. Will not load any files, Also plugged ethernet cable in and also wiped out my dell windows 10 desktop in same manner. opps ! took all day to to finally get a windows 8.1 recovery set to boot from BIOS and another day to restore 8.1 to a fully functional (running great) machine. WHEW! The Toshiba is beyond me. I think I will have geek squad at Best Buy have a look and give me an estimate. Heck of a work horse when running. After 10 years can't easily give her up. lol Thank you for the comments :)

sandy1 Aug 04, 2020 10:25 AM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

@MP805 How did you do it with a new blank hard drive ? How did you get Win10 to load files?

mp805 Aug 04, 2020 10:51 AM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

SANDY1, my situation is probably different from yours but I replaced the old HDD spinner drive with a solid state drive and then upgraded to a fresh copy of Win10. Lastly I had a backup of all the files saved from the spinner drive and loaded them on the new solid state drive. it sounds like in your situation you need to recover files from your old diskdrive which has become corrupt, eeks! I would take it to an expert to recover those files. I also recommend tech ease on state or do the geek squad. Hang in there and good luck, i know the frustration.

Curmudgeon Aug 01, 2020 02:33 PM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

No, only closed temporarily. Big Apple fan base in a town like Santa Barbara, making the location here quite profitable (high rents notwithstanding.)

REX OF SB Aug 01, 2020 04:01 PM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

Ever since I discovered Mac Mechanic, I no longer need to go to the downtown Apple Store. I knew there was trouble when I tried to make an appointment at the Apple Store and was told they only book a week in advance and that the bookings fill up quickly, so I should call EVERY DAY at 6 or 7 am to see if I could get a reservation. Homey don't play that. I called Mac Mechanic, got an appointment for the next day, and I haven't been back to the Apple Store since. I'd like to see a useful store go into the Apple Store location.

Minibeast Aug 01, 2020 05:16 PM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

That Apple Store can't close: I need them sometimes. Never had a problem getting any appointment for The Genius Bar or workshops. During this pandemic, things are all messed up. Patience.

icanreadcanyou Aug 01, 2020 05:22 PM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

@REX Mac Mechanic is definitely a better alternative. They're licensed to do Apple repairs on site, whereas the retail store doesn't do much more than consult. I do miss Samy's though, as they did rentals as well as repairs. You could bring in your laptop for repairs, swap out your hard drive with a rental & never miss a beat at work.

a-1596352049 Aug 02, 2020 12:07 AM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

We’ve never called ahead, always walked in. Always helped immediately or walked around 20 or 30 minutes and then been helped.

a-1596377145 Aug 02, 2020 07:05 AM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

I liked the Mac Mechanic when they were on Gutierrez, but once they sold and moved to State, I haven’t had good luck with them. Once, when downgrading my system, they reformatted my iMac (with a fusion drive), and the computer lost the ability to access the fusion drive, basically crippling the computer. I had to take it to Apple (on State) to have it fixed properly.

a-1596388139 Aug 02, 2020 10:08 AM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

Yeah, I can't say I can relate to your opinion/experience, REX, as I walked in and got an appointment for 1.5 hours later. No skin off my nose to go back later when I wanted help NOW. I guess for some folks NOW means "I want what I want and it has to be NOW".

biguglystick Aug 02, 2020 11:32 AM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

I used to go to Mac Mechanic until I learned of his right wing perspectives. Now he will get no more of my business.

a-1596411179 Aug 02, 2020 04:32 PM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

Perfect! Always evaluating a business based on their politics rather than their performance. That mindset is exactly what BLM is protesting. When did political views become the sole factor in evaluating any/everything? This is the perspective of small minds. Open your mind!. Please?

PitMix Aug 03, 2020 07:45 AM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

BUS, why support a business that has such a different view than me of what is important in our Country? I bet BLM supports this approach, the exact opposite of 4:32's claim. Support the businesses that try to do good for their community. A harder question for me is whether to support Unity Shop after finding out that their (ex?) executive director is a big supporter of the Trump Campaign.

Bird Aug 04, 2020 09:07 AM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

Mobile Kangaroo at 345 Chapala St, Santa Barbara, CA 93101 is highly recommended by a friend who used to be a Mac technician. I haven't used it but have heard from others that it's good. They're Apple-supported and, in fact, an appointment now during the COVID-19 reservations for service are made through Apple. Call for more info: (805) 883-6588. (Note: I am just an Apple user for years and have not had the need for their services. I used to go to the MacMechanic on Gutierrez.)

REX OF SB Aug 04, 2020 10:08 AM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

@10:08AM — I'm not going to dick around going downtown just to make an appointment. Also, I never said I needed an appointment NOW, I said I wasn't going to call every day at 6 am just on the off chance I MIGHT be able to get an appointment a week in the future. Knowing that there is a great alternative to the Apple Store, there is no reason for me to ever go downtown again.

Getoffmylawn Aug 01, 2020 05:15 PM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

Homey don't play that lol. God i miss in living color.
Best tv show all time.

420722 Aug 01, 2020 06:50 PM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

Op-this location is one of 8 Apple Stores closing permanently in California per the Santa Barbara Independent. There was an article about 3 weeks ago. This is a bummer, they were always busy.

a-1596333895 Aug 01, 2020 07:04 PM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

Got any links to back up that assertion? The Indy has no such story in their searchable archive. There is a July 9 release from Apple referring to 8 stores temporarily closing for the pandemic, which does include the State Street store.

Always_Running Aug 01, 2020 08:04 PM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

Here is an article from the (failing) new press. But it’s temporarily closed. Sentence under the first ad. 4th sentence. https://newspress.com/more-closures-due-to-covid-19/

420722 Aug 01, 2020 08:39 PM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

7:04 it was actually the SBNP not SBI, my mistake but there is an article saying they are closing for good. I hope it is “fake news”. I really like the convenience of having an Apple store just blocks from me.

Always_Running Aug 02, 2020 06:23 AM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

Re-read the article on link provided. Says they are not closing.

running_mike Aug 01, 2020 09:26 PM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

Where do people learn to read? It clearly says "Temporarily Closed" and the reopen date is not yet known.

shorebird Aug 02, 2020 09:30 AM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

Running Mike: This is 2020 where uninformed opinion or vague recollection is considered fact.

a-1596373435 Aug 02, 2020 06:03 AM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

My SIL does security for the Apple Stores from SLO to TO and they are temporarily closed due to Covid. Read the articles carefully...temporarily closed. Apple has a huge fanbase in SB - they aren't leaving any time soon.

Roger Aug 04, 2020 10:40 AM
Apple Store Closed Forever?

As soon as I saw a closed sign on the door I'd be waist deep wearing protective clothing going through their dumpster. I bet they toss out all kinds of goodies...