Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses title=
Governor Gavin Newsom (courtesy photo)

By edhat staff

Governor Gavin Newsom announced Monday that several business sectors will once again shut down due to concerns over increasing COVID-19 cases.

Statewide closures of some indoor operations have been ordered effective immediately as well as additional indoor closures for all counties on the state's watch list, including Santa Barbara and Ventura counties.

Statewide indoor closures include restaurants, bars and breweries, wineries & tasting rooms, movie theaters, family entertainment centers, zoos and museums, and cardrooms. County watch-list indoor closures include fitness centers, places of worship, indoor protests, offices for non-critical infrastructure sectors, personal care services, hair salons and barbershops, and malls.

Regarding restaurants, outdoor dining and takeout are still allowed.

"We've made this point on multiple occasions and that is we're moving back into a modification mode of our original stay-at-home order," Newsom said.

There are currently 31 counties, approximately 80% of the state's population, on the state's monitoring list.

California reported 109,910 new cases of COVID-19 and 1,104 deaths in the last two weeks. Overall the state has more than 320,000 COVID-19 cases and more than 7,000 deaths.

The latest case count within Santa Barbara County will be posted this evening.

a-1594675110 Jul 13, 2020 02:18 PM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

I freakin' told all you anti-mask bozos so! Thanks! Now our kids are going to miss out on school and sports and a normal life even longer! Screw your haircuts and bars, our children are missing out on life right now! Your selfishness is cowardly, disgusting and I'd say "anti-American" bud sadly, this what our country has devolved into. A pack of selfish, hateful fools. This is all on YOU.

a-1594759332 Jul 14, 2020 01:42 PM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

Anti-maskers are not the reason the schools are not opening. Listen to the long list of demands and criteria made by the teachers union rep to the school board. I think the teachers union is trying to deflect the argument away from themselves. When is their pay getting docked and when will one online teacher replace 10 classroom teachers for the same grades? We could use the extra money to clean up the school buildings and build in protection equipment. Kids need to be back in school and it is clear from reading their arguments, the teachers union is blocking this all the way. Keep an open mind. Science says open the classrooms, board claim they will follow the science, yet the teachers union is digging and saying no. And the board is capitulating to the teachers unions. Instead the board should be telling the teachers unions to come back to work or else they are in violation of their contract. Plenty of qualified college grads out there who would be more than willing to take any new open positions left vacant by the teachers who refuse to return to the classrooms.

a-1594678317 Jul 13, 2020 03:11 PM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

WHATSNEW - the Chumash Casino is open for one reason and one reason alone. Greed. The right thing for a sovereign native american business to do, would be to comply with what all other local business must do. Shame on the Casino for staying open. This is one of the many culprits behind our schools staying closed in the fall. All those who are open unnecessarily and refuse to wear masks or take any social responsibility are the direct cause of our children losing out on a normal life. Disgusting.

Abc109 Jul 13, 2020 07:26 PM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

Especially since there are 5 cases (so far) among employees at Chumash. The majority of their employees are bused in from Santa Maria and Lompoc, which are the main hotspots of the county. If the 'Mash thinks that they are not contributing to community spread, they have another thing coming

xpander Jul 13, 2020 03:43 PM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

This is very unfortunate yet not at all surprising given how many people are being selfish in regards to trying to mitigate the spread of the virus (non-mask wearing, non-social distancing, etc). I do feel bad for the many kids who are having to re-adjust to life as we currently know it. On another note, I would be interested to know how many (if any at all) new cases have come from any of the local tattoo shops.I would guess 0. My artist has been appointment only for years now, the space is small and it's always one-on-one. No foot traffic, like some of the others on State with countless walk-ins and lookey-loos. You would think these shops would be allowed to stay open over say, a gym.

LooseCannon Jul 13, 2020 04:14 PM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

Disappointed that the YMCA is closing again. The staff have done a remarkable job keeping the place clean and sanitary. Masks are required upon entry. There's hand sanitizer everywhere. Showers and lockers are closed. I nip and out of the place to swim in the pool. The vaccine can't survive in chlorinated water. I don't see how swimming at the pool is any more dangerous than, say, shopping at Trader Joe's. Seems like Santa Barbara is being punished because the numbers are high in Santa Maria. What a bore.

Alexblue Jul 13, 2020 04:53 PM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

Hooray, the science deniers and selfish me first crowd and Trumpanzees have made the last four months of pain a total waste--and now we get to do it again.

420722 Jul 13, 2020 10:47 PM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

Hooray- protesters have led us back into a total shutdown and the last four months have a been a total waste- - and now we get to do it again.

macpuzl Jul 14, 2020 12:00 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

The epidemiological data clearly show that the states that opened up earlier and to a greater degree have surges that track those actions, not any protests. Protests contribute, but only to a minor degree compared to prolonged indoor contact.

letmego Jul 14, 2020 11:44 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

470722 source? Many cities have contact tracing which have shown that the spread is due primarily to family parties (here), bars (Pittsburgh). To date I haven't seen any report on increased cases due to protests. That doesn't mean there aren't, just that there is so far no clear connection. Not unexpected, as we know spread is related to proximity, being indoors, and not masking. Meaning, protests that were outdoors and where people were masked were much less risky than family parties where you are sharing food and hugs.

420722 Jul 14, 2020 12:03 PM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

My source is the fact that the only source YOU have are pro-socialism liberal “journalist” feeding you the same crap each day that protest are good you can’t spread the virus that way. Might be one of the biggest lies of 2020 we’ll see.

Chip of SB Jul 14, 2020 01:15 PM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

Why did they try to close the beaches over the weekend of the fourth? If the studies show mass gatherings (protests/riots) only made a minor contribution to new cases, why the concerns about beaches?

a-1594690445 Jul 13, 2020 06:34 PM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

LA teachers unions forced Newsom's hand. Take a look at their list of demands before the teacher unions will re-open the schools Zero to do with covid- 100% to do with their extreme social agenda. People in SB not wearing masks has nothing to do with this LA teacher union- Gov Newsom shut down quid pro quo. To keep teacher union backing, Newsom had to shut down the state.

GeneralTree Jul 13, 2020 06:39 PM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

It looks like they are spinning up a 200 bed Covid center at the old Sears building in La Cumbre. It's going to get worse before it get's better.

a-1594745970 Jul 14, 2020 09:59 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

The Sears Bldg is intended for any potential Santa Maria overload, not because of any new "surge" predicted down here. Stop spreading unnecessary fears. Santa Maria continues to be a minor covid bubble, which makes a mockery of Gov Newsom's draconian county wide edicts..

a-1594804620 Jul 15, 2020 02:17 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

Not according to this news article:
"County officials “ultimately landed sort of a bifurcated system” after identifying sites through the county, including centrally located areas in Buellton and the Santa Ynez Valley, Melekian said.

If necessary, the Cal Poly Recreation Center has beds available for Santa Barbara County residents in the event of a COVID-19 surge in the North County, Melekian explained.

“The North County 250 beds, we have an arrangement with Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, in San Luis Obispo County to handle North County overflow in the event the county hospital system is overwhelmed,” Melekian said. https://www.noozhawk.com/article/board_of_supervisors_covid_lease_vacant_sears_building_in_santa_barbara_for

Sbrysa Jul 13, 2020 08:29 PM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

As a small business owner that has been shut down only to be opened for almost 2 weeks, this is devastating. Many of my friends beauty businesses will surely close.

a-1594697967 Jul 13, 2020 08:39 PM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

Provide in-home services. You skills are respected and needed. Demand city council make this happen for you, just like they broke barriers to make State Street Mall restaurants happen. They can make things happen. That is why they get paid. Look for pro-business slate of city council candidates and support them, even if they do not represent your district. There needs to be a new majority on city council that is pro business.

JB86 Jul 14, 2020 03:23 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

I don't get the 'anti-masker' comments here. I was out today, went to three businesses on Calle Real, and 100% of the people I saw in these places wore face coverings and avoided close contact to the extent they could. Same at Camino Real Marketplace a few days ago. The only scofflaw I saw was a homeless dude outside Albertson's. I'm thinking something else is at work in the continuing spread of the virus - something we don't yet understand.

a-1594722814 Jul 14, 2020 03:33 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

Downtown today about ten people didn’t have masks. Some were walking and appeared to be tourists, but most were construction workers who also weren’t “social distancing “.

ternst Jul 14, 2020 06:25 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

Yeah everyone's false sense of security that masks work. They all think we'll be fine if you wear your mask and not wearing a mask is the problem....pull your head out of your @ss.

a-1594733810 Jul 14, 2020 06:36 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

JB86 you make a good point actually. In my travels most people if not all are wearing masks. Now I don't go much anywhere except grocery stores but that is what I've observed. I was just saying to my family yesterday - after this new "order" - that if inside activities have to be cancelled then obviously masks aren't working. He closed only indoor operations - and in most of these we are supposed to be wearing masks and most do so what is going on here?

pstarSR Jul 14, 2020 07:54 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

This is akin to birth control. if you want it to be effective you have to use it ALL the time. So lets equate this to the current situation, if NOT EVERYONE WEARS a mask, then we have spikes and have to close down again.

bigman Jul 14, 2020 09:19 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

PSTAR then why not close the beaches and outside areas / dining too? Considering it is on beaches and State Street that ppl aren't wearing masks, as you are REQUIRED to indoors in almost every place if not every place in SB. This makes no sense.

dw2000 Jul 14, 2020 10:42 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

These orders apply to counties all over the state. Some aspects are more likely to apply to SB than others. Maybe SB didn't have as much of an indoor dining issue but we did have gyms open, etc. And yes, masks work. Are they 100% ? No, but what is? When I drive I wear my seat belt. Does that mean my odds of dying in a car crash are zero? Should I say seat belts don't work? Common sense tells me that even a crappy piece of cloth over my mouth and nose will reduce the amount of particulates I breath in and out. Even if its less than half that is an improvement and it adds up and aggregates up to society at large. I still wash my hands, avoid touching my eyes and minimize my time in close proximity to others. Just like I follow traffic laws, practice defensive driving and yes... wear a seat belt and make sure I took the car in for that airbag recall. Its a variety of behaviors to minimize the risk to myself and others.

letmego Jul 14, 2020 11:46 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

I have noticed a lot more masks in the last few weeks. I really don't go anywhere, except the occasional early morning beach walk. Still, at the beach, far more masks today than even a month ago. And look, our local 5 day moving average of new cases is starting to go down...the right direction!

letmego Jul 14, 2020 11:47 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

@TERNST I guess you aren't a scientist? Or maybe you don't bother to read the latest info on mask usage and how it reduces the spread?

bigman Jul 14, 2020 06:54 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

There is something I don't understand. I see comments about people not wearing masks on State Street, but that is outside. This closes all indoor activities. Everywhere I've been indoors - which is only essential businesses when I need something - pretty much everyone, with a few exceptions, wears a mask especially lately. So what is going on here? This concerns me. I know masks are not 100% so maybe that's it, either that or they still aren't sure about how this virus is spreading. Something is not adding up.

dw2000 Jul 14, 2020 10:45 AM
Governor Rolls Back Reopening of Businesses

BIGMAN, masks are only part of the package. If someone goes to the store and wears a mask just so they can go in, but touches stuff, leaves the store and rubs their eyes in their car that person can still get infected and then spread it to their family. Who goes out and spreads it to the neighbors that keep having people over.

Pages