Public Health Concerned About Upward Trend of COVID-19 Cases title=

By edhat staff

The Santa Barbara County Public Health Department (PHD) expressed their concern regarding the upward trend of COVID-19 cases within the county during Tuesday's Board of Supervisors meeting.

PHD Director Dr. Van Do-Reynoso stated there has been a 49% increase in cases in the past 14 days. More specifically for new cases in the past two weeks, there has been an 84% increase in Santa Maria and 115% increase in Santa Barbara, both were described as "serious and concerning."

"The elevated number of cases in our community is directly attributed to the freedom of movement as we reopened sectors which provided increased opportunities for social interactions and gatherings without physical distancing or face covering," said Dr. Do-Reynoso.

Santa Barbara County has been on the state's monitoring list for 21 days as of Monday for failing to meet COVID-19 data thresholds.

Based on the census of local hospital capacity, the county has 33% of available hospital beds after factoring in occupied beds from COVID-19 patients and other critical needs. The state has flagged this figure as "moderately concerning."

Additionally, 60% of local hospitals have less than 14 days of personal protective equipment (PPE) on hand which has been labeled as "more concerning." PHD has since petitioned the state for more PPE.

Santa Barbara County continues to have an elevated disease transmission, with a case rate of about 220 COVID-19 per 100,000 population over the last 14-day period. The State’s threshold is
no more than 100 per 100,000 population over a 14-day period or an 8% positive rate, which Santa Barbara County has 8.6%.

Dr. Do-Reynoso stated for each positive case they can estimate that person came into contact with ten additional people. There are currently 68 contact investigators in the county, formally called contact tracers, with an additional 30 to be supplied by the state.

PHD has determined 57% of COVID-19 positive cases were related to person-to-person transmission, 1% due to travel, and 42% due to community acquisition meaning the direct source is unknown.

Supervisor Gregg Hart expressed his confusion last week with the new state guidance and closures, specifically to the beverage industry. He asked for PHD to use more clarifying statements going forward and making the closures easier to understand.

The latest COVID-19 numbers can be found here.

bigman Jul 08, 2020 10:46 PM
Public Health Concerned About Upward Trend of COVID-19 Cases

DW2000 you don't seem to understand my comment. I said, had we just re-opened without protests we wouldn't be seeing this huge spike. Meaning, if we had stuck to the re-opening plan which we were [distancing and masks], we wouldn't be seeing such a huge spike. The protests spiked this up.

ChemicalSuperFreak Jul 08, 2020 11:55 PM
Public Health Concerned About Upward Trend of COVID-19 Cases

How am I an elitist? I went to community collage to get my A.A before I got my B.S. at a university. It was a great experience, and didn't cost much. I'm from a working class middle income family, and the first generation in my family to go to college. Elitist? After my B.S. in Biochemistry I went to grad school for a Ph.D, and took out a ton of student loans. Elitist? I'm mixed race and half Native American. Elitist? If working hard and studying makes me an elitist then yes, I'm elite and very much proud of that fact.

dw2000 Jul 09, 2020 08:40 AM
Public Health Concerned About Upward Trend of COVID-19 Cases

Here is the thing.... I do acknowledge that mass protests during a pandemic are not a good idea and likely contributed to some amount of people getting Covid-19. How much? I don't know, but most sources out there seem to indicate it was not the main driver of the current spikes. I am open to the "truth"... do you have any sources that support your claim that "had we just re-opened without protests we wouldn't be seeing this huge spike"? "So what" we don't need to learn from states that reopened too early and recklessly and maybe do it differently–because it was caused by the protests? "So what" we are wasting our time trying to convince people to wear masks because it was really caused by the protests? "So what" we shouldn't hold politicians and people accountable who ignored science and warnings from experts because hey.... they weren't wrong, it was just the protests!? You said it yourself, lets stick to facts and objectivity.

Zenyatta19 Jul 08, 2020 04:18 PM
Public Health Concerned About Upward Trend of COVID-19 Cases

Sansum informed some patients today that Pacific Diagnostic Labs had lost a great number of recent Covid tests! They called to see if the patient wanted to be retested!! Unbelievable incompetence

ChemicalSuperFreak Jul 08, 2020 04:42 PM
Public Health Concerned About Upward Trend of COVID-19 Cases

"Lost is a vague term" I meant to write. Additionally, if you were tested I'd recommend getting retested ASAP if you're concerned. If they're still doing RT-PCR for these samples, then you have a limited amount of time before the viral load is too low or absent for detection. At some point you'll only be able to detect post-infection using antibodies, which everyone who reads my posts know I'm not exactly fond of due to reliability issues.

ChemicalSuperFreak Jul 08, 2020 04:49 PM
Public Health Concerned About Upward Trend of COVID-19 Cases

Yes, honesty is the best policy. That's what my mother taught me. But we're talking about bureaucracy, which all of us regardless of political viewpoint know is full of incompetence and an reluctance to admit failure.

dw2000 Jul 09, 2020 08:56 AM
Public Health Concerned About Upward Trend of COVID-19 Cases

I acknowledge protests contributed to the rise of covid-19. I am even ready and willing to acknowledge protests were the main driver should scientific evidence point to that. However, I have not read anything to support that position. Instead, I have read MANY things indicating that reopening too quickly, too aggressively (in certain US states, and certain counties in California) was the main driver of the rapid rise in Covid-19. We need to give proper weight to things in order to make good decisions going forward. I understand that we will never know with absolute certainty how much one thing vs. another contributed to our current situation but I am willing to trust professionals when they identity trends.

PitMix Jul 09, 2020 09:45 AM
Public Health Concerned About Upward Trend of COVID-19 Cases

What's worse, going to a protest, outdoors, or sitting indoors at a restaurant without a mask in close personal contact with other people? I doubt that this "question" about how much the protests contributed to spread is going to be definitively answered, but let common sense be your guide. The states that reopened indoors dining are all getting hit.

sacjon Jul 09, 2020 12:15 PM
Public Health Concerned About Upward Trend of COVID-19 Cases

DW2000 - I'm with you. If the science and data shows the BLM protests were the main factor in the spike, I will accept that. Problem is, everything out there points to protests being not a significant or major factor. What it IS showing though, is that indoor activity such as bars, restaurants, parties, etc were the main driving force behind the spikes. Through tracing, it's been fairly simple to indicate that opening up indoor areas too soon was the largest contributor to the rise in cases. Again - the BLM protests DID contribute, but I just am not convinced, based on the studies conducted, that they were the main source of cases as many are claiming.

dw2000 Jul 09, 2020 12:31 PM
Public Health Concerned About Upward Trend of COVID-19 Cases

SACJON - exactly!! well said. And it just seems to me the same people who cry "but the BLM protestors!!" are often the same folks who also downplay the need to wear masks, socially distance, and avoid the scenarios you described for a little while. Certain political leaders were willing to be dishonest with their constituents and put their constituents health and ultimately the economy in further danger. I feel compelled to call out what I perceive as attempts to avoid accountability. Not because I want to see people punished, but because I want to see our country get through this with as few deaths and as little economic damage as we can manage.

NoCertitude Jul 09, 2020 12:49 PM
Public Health Concerned About Upward Trend of COVID-19 Cases

While waiting in line for Costco to open this morning, a man directly ahead of me wore no mask and sneezed. He held a mask in his hand.
I was six feet behind him and I was wearing a mask. Since we were told to stand against the wall, there was no breeze. Not sure if I'm going back to Costco anytime soon.

Chaparral Jul 09, 2020 01:03 PM
Public Health Concerned About Upward Trend of COVID-19 Cases

Enforcement of restrictions seems haphazard at best. Today we walked at East Beach and observed upwards of 150 teens at a volleyball camp. No social distancing in effect at all. No masks at all. Is this a city-approved program? It should be either shut down or numbers cut in half—at a minimum. The jr. lifeguarding program seems to be more carefully organized and run.

Pages