By an edhat reader

Does anyone know where the Hummingbirds are this year ?  Last year I had to refill 2 feeders daily, this year maybe one or two birds a week.

a-1593630889 Jul 01, 2020 12:14 PM
Where are the Hummingbirds?

Maybe they prefer wildflower nectar for right now. A lot more flowers in bloom everywhere, thanks to the rain we got. In our garden, the Allen’s and Anna’s were in fierce competition over our great swath of native Fuchsia, which has no flowers now. We’re still seeing the hummers at the Malvaviscus flowers, but not “at it” the way they were with the Fuchsia. We stopped putting out nectar feeders several years back, after we lost our best shade tree to Armillaria (honey fungus).

Mesagal Jul 01, 2020 12:24 PM
Where are the Hummingbirds?

We have had plenty on the Mesa this year. In fact, just yesterday evening there were 2 or 3 giving a major aerial show diving in and out around our feeder. Two of them flew straight up in unison at one point. It was awesome.

sbdude Jul 01, 2020 12:31 PM
Where are the Hummingbirds?

We have lots of Hummers. Sages, agapanthus, and various other flowers draw them in.

Lucky 777 Jul 01, 2020 12:42 PM
Where are the Hummingbirds?

I have many in Alta Mesa, but currently they are contending with yellow birds that I think are orioles who have commandeered the feeders. **** Please note: if you put out feeders, hang 3 or more. Otherwise your dominant male will kill himself while aggressively protecting the only one. In a display of testosterone fueled ignorance, he will spend so much energy defending the one food source he will not eat enough himself. Metaphor.

a-1593646196 Jul 01, 2020 04:29 PM
Where are the Hummingbirds?

I see that often when I have my feeders out (only during hot spells). I often wonder if I'm really doing the Hummers any favors when I do. Is it like opening a McDonalds in a dorm so that the residents eat junk food instead of nutrition?

a-1593723272 Jul 02, 2020 01:54 PM
Where are the Hummingbirds?

LUCKY777. Pretty sure Hummingbirds can handle Hooded orioles. It's like Tyson competing against some High School boxing champ. The orioles aren't even in the same league, when it comes to ferocity.

PitMix Jul 01, 2020 01:06 PM
Where are the Hummingbirds?

I had several in my yard up until those hot days of the May heat wave and wind events. Then only one intermittently since then. My feeder was used heavily until then, then no use after that. Maybe just a coincidence, but maybe not.

Artemisia Jul 01, 2020 02:14 PM
Where are the Hummingbirds?

They're all at our place in Mission Canyon. Two of our feeders are getting especially heavy use with as many as six hummingbirds at a time -- mostly Allen's -- and we're making a gallon of food every couple of days.

OpossumBoy Jul 01, 2020 02:16 PM
Where are the Hummingbirds?

I’m on a ranch in the foothills and watch them whenever I sit on my front porch. They’re going for the nectar in the blossoms right now, especially those of the sugar bush.

a-1593639361 Jul 01, 2020 02:36 PM
Where are the Hummingbirds?

I suspect you simply have more competition for what you're offering. You'll have to up your nectar game.

Zenyatta19 Jul 01, 2020 02:44 PM
Where are the Hummingbirds?

I have tons of them here in the San Marcos Foothills. Also a lot off bees.

a-1593702884 Jul 02, 2020 08:14 AM
Where are the Hummingbirds?

My yard in Mission Canyon is planted with mostly natives (no feeders), and I have lots of hummingbirds around. Surprisingly (to me) they like oak trees! And the little tiny water fountain I keep running for the birds, and one time, a bobcat.

DTOM Jul 02, 2020 01:36 PM
Where are the Hummingbirds?

Could be the competition of blooming flowers, but if you have Wi-Fi in or near your feeders, turn if off and see what happens...

a-1593722414 Jul 02, 2020 01:40 PM
Where are the Hummingbirds?

That should be about as effective as painting your nose bright red and standing still in your garden.

ACF Jul 02, 2020 03:12 PM
Where are the Hummingbirds?

I only have one feeder and I have lots of Allen's and Anna's, but not at the same time! Nonetheless, the air is mostly peaceable. I have read that hummingbirds use feeders to supplement their natural food, so I don't worry about giving them a choice (made by the recipe that is closest to natural nectar: 1-to-4 ratio, sugar to water, boiled for one minute).