Kids Jumping Off SBHS Roof into Pool

A group of juveniles was jumping off the roof of Santa Barbara High School into the swimming pool, SBPD is responding.

Christmascarol Jun 03, 2020 02:56 PM
Kids Jumping Off SBHS Roof into Pool

The girl who fell through a skylight at Bishop Garcia High School in October of 2000 was a student. She and another student were walking across the roof carrying a ladder in order to take down signs after a homecoming rally. At the time of the incident (early afternoon), they were in full view of other students, some parents , and staff.
It was negligent to allow students to be on the roof!
It is a miracle that she even survived ! The amount of the settlement was not disclosed.

d8vanilla Jun 03, 2020 10:15 AM
Kids Jumping Off SBHS Roof into Pool

Sounds like fun times.... AND, at least they aren't graffiti" ing or vandalizing, or stabbing each other, or up to other really BAD mischief, around the City (I know.... my sentence structure isn't so good this morning!! kinda tired and burned out!)

Luvaduck Jun 03, 2020 10:06 AM
Kids Jumping Off SBHS Roof into Pool

Perfect example of the ability of youth to evaluate risk vs. reward well. And yes, I'm as guilty as anyone: I once walked up & over a steel bridge structure in the rain, over a shallow creek on a dare. I'm eternally grateful that my stupidities before my brain was fully mature didn't kill or maim me for life. They gave me perspective but not a lot of comfort when my own kids hit adolescence and became increasingly on their own.

a-1591156915 Jun 02, 2020 09:01 PM
Kids Jumping Off SBHS Roof into Pool

I know this is wrong and dangerous behavior, but part of me can’t help cheering on the joi de vivre shown by these pool-lovers.

ChemicalSuperFreak Jun 02, 2020 09:20 PM
Kids Jumping Off SBHS Roof into Pool

Yeah, me too. My friends and I used to go to a 4-story high apartment complex which was next to a smaller building that had a deep swimming pool. We used to jump from the roof of the tall building (5th floor) to the deep end of the pool next door. The distance from the edge of the pool to the edge of the roof was easily 15 feet, so you had to take a running leap, but you'd really cross quite a large distance as you fell, and we had to cross power lines that ran between the two buildings. I was 17 and completely insane at that age.

a-1591222570 Jun 03, 2020 03:16 PM
Kids Jumping Off SBHS Roof into Pool

REX: The girl who fell through the roof at Bishop was a student who was doing a school activity on the roof. She wasn't trespassing and didn't sue for maintaining a public nuisance...a settlement was reached quickly to address the severe medical bills suffered during a school activity (they were cleaning up decorations). I am a huge proponent of tort reform and truly despise opportunistic lawyers who go after anything and everything, and if the situation had been as you described I'd agree with you...but it wasn't...

REX OF SB Jun 02, 2020 04:56 PM
Kids Jumping Off SBHS Roof into Pool

ROGER: Three guesses who will get sued! Remember that idiot girl a few years ago who fell through a skylight or something at Bishop Garcia Diego High School while illegal]y trespassing? She was injured and her bloodsucking parents sued the school for maintaining a public nuisance, and won a shit-ton of $$$. America—the land of opportunity!