New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd title=
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

Mural painting on the side of EOS Lounge at 500 Anacapa Street (Photo: edhat reader)

By edhat staff

Local artists are painting a new mural on the side of EOS Lounge to honor George Floyd and the Black Lives Matter movement.

The art piece was designed by Griffin Lounsbury, a multi-media artist in Santa Barbara, and assisted by local tattoo artist Chad Green. It's located in the 500 block of Anacapa Street and depicts a profile of Floyd with the words "Please, I Can't Breathe."

Floyd, an unarmed 46-year-old Black man, was murdered by four police officers on Thursday. While Floyd was handcuffed and lying face down on a city street during an arrest, a white police officer kept his knee on the right side of Floyd's neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds. Floyd was unresponsive for the last 2 minutes and 53 seconds.

Several bystanders recorded the event on their phones with one video showing Floyd repeating "Please" and "I can't breathe." The murder sparked outrage in Minneapolis that rapidly spread throughout the United States and eventually overseas with marches, protests, and rallies.

The local chapter of Black Lives Matter held a peaceful rally on Sunday against police brutality with nearly 3,000 attendees. During the march, the Santa Barbara Police Department taped off the 200 block of E. Figueroa Street where the department is located and stationed approximately twenty officers in riot gear near the intersection.

a-1594386281 Jun 03, 2020 10:51 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

For those having a heart attack (“how DARE they make art without asking the city’s permission?!”), go read the Independent. The artists are already planning on painting over the mural in a few weeks. There, now you can go whine on some other thread...

mp805 Jun 02, 2020 08:08 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

what about David Dorn? He was shot by looters last night trying to protect a business. The looters filmed it on facebook live. If you haven't seen it look it up...Where is the mural for David Dorn?

Ahchooo Jun 02, 2020 08:04 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

I’m not saying we shouldn’t have had protests and murals for Ms Damond, but the George Floyd murder is different in that it was viewed for nearly nine minutes as it happened and could have been prevented. Ms Damond should not have been shot. But she was not shot for nine minutes on end on video, with four sworn officers willfully participating and onlookers begging for the officers to stop.

Lem4058 Jun 02, 2020 03:31 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

I love it. I live 2 blocks away, and spent some time with Fido this morning checking it out. Lots of serious white men of a certain age (and facial hair) pulled up quickly to takes pics and then peal outta there. I like the addition to the neighborhood.

Shmonk Jun 02, 2020 03:11 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

If you are complaining about city ordinances and city rules regarding this beautiful mural you are part of the problem! Stand up for something!

a-1594386281 Jun 02, 2020 03:24 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

We are standing up for something. A planned vision of architectural standards and following the rules for development.

Alexblue Jun 02, 2020 02:33 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

For all you good and civic minded folks breaking an ankle to get to the ordinances relevant to painting a mural on the side of a building-- Maybe they did it without a permit. Sometimes, extraordinary times require extraordinary actions that may even be illegal. The law is never an excuse to support something that hurts people or by the action of following such law allows a person to be injured. This doesn't rise to that level, it's not jaywalking to help someone having a heart attack. But it's the same realm. So take all your rule rage and permit concern and maybe channel it to something that actually matters.

Alexblue Jun 03, 2020 08:56 AM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

If you honestly don't understand the point I'm making, just let me know and I will give you an honest explanation. I'm not interested in the typical Edhat snark and point scoring.

Get over it Jun 02, 2020 07:18 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

@Alex Really? "The law is never an excuse to support something that hurts people" So you're talking about a mural illegally placed on the side of a commercial building, correct? Please tell me I read that wrong.

a-1594386281 Jun 02, 2020 12:37 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

"You deplore the demonstrations taking place in Birmingham. But your statement, I am sorry to say, fails to express a similar concern for the conditions that brought about the demonstrations. I am sure that none of you would want to rest content with the superficial kind of social analysis that deals merely with effects and does not grapple with underlying causes. It is unfortunate that demonstrations are taking place in Birmingham, but it is even more unfortunate that the city's white power structure left the Negro community with no alternative." [MLK, Letter from a Birmingham Jail]

a-1594386281 Jun 02, 2020 12:34 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. Never again can we afford to live with the narrow, provincial 'outside agitator' idea. Anyone who lives inside the United States can never be considered an outsider anywhere within its bounds." [MLK, Letter from a Birmingham Jail]

sacjon Jun 02, 2020 11:37 AM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

Interesting how many so called "conservatives" are here complaining about the permit process and how the artists didn't follow the rules (ie government red tape) for painting. I mean, you guys are the same folks who are usually whining about their being too MUCH bureaucracy, right? Well, which is it? More government intervention in the arts, or less government intervention in the way we chose to live our lives (ie, taxes, regulation, etc)? You don't get both.

Get over it Jun 02, 2020 07:08 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

@ Sac Seriously? Based on your posts, you're smarter than that. Conservatives, or at least myself, Believe in less regulation, less government, and yes an easier permitting process among other things. That doesn't mean you can ignore the laws our government has imposed on us! We may not agree, but follow the rules!

Chip of SB Jun 02, 2020 03:57 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

3:34 - I think you have really helped highlight the difference between the "left" and the "right" today. The "left" tends to prefer regulation and centralized planning, and values conformity. By contrast, the "right" values individuality and encourages free expression.

a-1594386281 Jun 02, 2020 03:34 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

I am a socialist. I support planned development and process. This mural was not permitted. This mural was never reviewed and it doesn't belong at that location. It simply needs to be moved and permits were needed before the mural was painted.

Alexblue Jun 02, 2020 02:54 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

Chip, dude, the fact that you are asking about the City "allowing" this mural to be painted is pretty funny. They started painting it like three days ago. Do you seriously think the City of SB has the ability or desire to respond to ANYTHING in seventy two hours? Get back to us in six months.

Chip of SB Jun 02, 2020 12:31 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

If this mural is illegal without a permit, what it the city's basis for allowing it? Does the city offer certain causes or certain classes of people special privileges? Does the city deny the same privileges to other causes and classes of people? What is the basis for doing this? I think a conservative would advocate for an objective rule for public paintings and murals that is enforced in the same manner for everyone regardless of their race, sex, religion, etc. I also think that a conservative would be highly skeptical of any rules or permitting requirements that restrict free speech and expression, such as the painting of murals. Perhaps the city should allow people the freedom to express themselves by painting their properties as they see fit without any restrictions or permitting requirements.

helena Jun 02, 2020 11:35 AM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

I don't know about the permitting process, but this mural is important to us right now. It helps us look internally at ourselves and at the open wound of racism in our society. It's a visible reminder that we have so very much work to do--personally, locally, and nationally.

Get over it Jun 02, 2020 07:00 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

People were bitching about a small sign in the funk zone and that you could see a sign through windows at a brewery last year on here. Probably the same people falling all over themselves supporting this. It's a stunt for attention. Totally against Santa Barbara's signage ordinance. I personally couldn't care less. If it makes people feel better about themselves than great! Although if you need a mural to remind yourself... that may be the real problem, right?

a-1594386281 Jun 02, 2020 11:34 AM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

The mural is from the heart. A solid reminder of Americans’ tasks at hand. My concern goes to the end of the article....why no comments on this??? “The protest leaders repeatedly stated this was a peaceful demonstration and asked the officers, as well as Mayor Cathy Murillo, to kneel in solidarity. They all declined.” THEY ALL DECLINED???

Ahchooo Jun 02, 2020 03:58 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

Does anyone who reads Edhat know any local police? I’m curious if they were instructed not to kneel, or if they each decided on their own.

a-1594386281 Jun 02, 2020 12:16 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

@11:57am - police officers throughout the nation have been kneeling with protestors. Lots of video and photos

sacjon Jun 02, 2020 12:09 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

Why did Cathy decline to kneel? Bad knees is not an excuse. I saw video of a police chief in NYC get down on a knee with the help of a few people. If she wanted to kneel, she could have. That she declined shows a MASSIVE indifference to the feelings of the people. Showing solidarity is all about the hearts and minds of the people. Make the slightest effort to show you care, not just about the injustice, but the optics as well. Take a knee, ask for help if it's too hard. Cathy looked AWFUL in this and it won't soon be forgotten. Glad she's not my mayor! Paula Perotte rocks!

a-1594386281 Jun 02, 2020 11:57 AM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

I wonder if the police are told not to kneel because they are supposed to be impartially upholding the law, not agreeing or disagreeing with any particular protest? —though I do see that police in some other cities have indeed knelt in solidarity. I wonder if our officers have been given instructions on this issue. And for the mayor, maybe she isn’t nimble enough for impromptu kneeling? I don’t mean that as an insult; lots of middle-aged people have bad knees, stiff joints, etc.

biguglystick Jun 02, 2020 11:18 AM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

Bravo to the artists and to everyone who made this mural happen. It's necessary and true. Nothing wrong with facing the truth. We need reform and change NOW.

biguglystick Jun 02, 2020 11:17 AM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

The sheer amount of white privelege and even racism on this page is staggering... and I'm as white as they come, but this town is full of pathetic over priveleged wankers. WOW. Just wow. No wonder there is not much good art here... all of you would have it permitted to death first, and the city would make sure that it was all whitewashed to be just a beachy landscape. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

a-1594386281 Jun 02, 2020 10:54 AM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

Lots of racist micro-aggressions from commenters here. Instead of getting offended by this, take a minute and reflect, read articles by Black people, and educate yourself.

100572P Jun 02, 2020 10:45 AM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

"this has nothing to do with Santa Barbara" yeah, neither did 9/11. What happened to George Floyd was equally as devastating to our Nation. Most of these comments are so saturated with white privilege that I am left feeling like a need a shower. "You want the city looking like Lompoc" what is wrong with Lompoc? I doubt Lompoc wants to look like parts of Santa Barbara. I remember a time when it was Goleta that was dumped on and treated like the ugly sibling. This type of mindset, an ego based superiority complex is what contributes to social inequality and the continued oppression of P.O.C. You are offended by the mural. I just can't with that. Really?! City Planning? The mural is a silent protest. I hope we keep adding them to every building downtown. Keep going until you people begin to understand, and when you finally do, I hope they remain so you will never forget.

a-1594386281 Jun 02, 2020 10:28 AM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

A lot of you are showing your white privilege. Anyone saying "this was a horrible event but..." is more concerned with permits than the blatant evidence that Black people are continually killed by the police in this country.

REX OF SB Jun 02, 2020 10:14 AM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

"Floyd, an unarmed 46-year-old Black man, was murdered by four police officers…" ///////////// Actually, only one was charged with murder, and so far he hasn't been found guilty, so I don't think we can call him a murderer just yet. I mean, yeah, of course he did it, but he hasn't been FOUND guilty yet, so he's not "officially" a murder. (Yet).

PitMix Jun 02, 2020 12:58 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

Rex, legally he is presumed innocent until he is convicted. This is a legal construct. Morally we all know what he did. So you would argue that the lynch mobs in the south that we deemed innocent by the all-white juries were truly innocent in your eyes? Seems like a corruption of the truth to me.

a-1594386281 Jun 02, 2020 12:19 PM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

Rex, I understand that being an older white man this doesn't affect you. Stay in your white bubble and continue to grumble about broken sidewalks and noisy planes. Let the rest of us learn from the people of color in our community about the inequities they deal with on a daily basis.

REX OF SB Jun 02, 2020 11:15 AM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

You're right, Pitmix. I forgot that in this country we're presumed guilty until proven innocent. Regardless of what we know and saw, Chauvin must still be PRESUMED innocent until PROVEN guilty.

PitMix Jun 02, 2020 11:01 AM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

Rex, you are not able to come to a conclusion about something that we all have seem without our imperfect justice system telling you what to think? He might not be convicted, but he is definitely a murderer. Just like those cops that beat Rodney King were assaulters whether or not the Simi Valley jury agrees.

a-1594386281 Jun 02, 2020 09:57 AM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

Its a great piece of art but I agree with some of the others that it should not have been put up without permits. I don't agree with what happened but I also don't think we needed this mural the size of a building for someone that's not even local. Why don't we do something like this for locals?

a-1594386281 Jun 02, 2020 09:55 AM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

Sure, I understand the commentary given the circumstances, but in terms of that particular spot, I think there should be a permanent memorial there for that poor bartender that got killed by a drunk driver at that same spot several years ago. I think about her every time I drive through that intersection.

a-1594386281 Jun 02, 2020 09:52 AM
New Mural Painted to Honor George Floyd

Part of the point of art is to elicit emotional response, so this seems to be a successful work of art. I'm sure the building owners will be cited by the City, but the City has to follow a process. I don't think they "allowed" this mural, the mural was installed with no approvals. As the City fights to have it removed, it will get more publicity.

Pages