Subject Shooting Crows

Report of a subject shooting crows with a BB gun in the 3800 block of Carney. SBPD is responding.

biguglystick May 29, 2020 12:13 PM
Subject Shooting Crows

Anyone who hurts, maims or kills our wildlife is a loser. Crows are fascinating wonderful birds! If you took the time to read a little about them, you might change your mind if you hate them. They are noisy, but they move along quickly. BE KIND TO ALL ANIMALS.

SBZZ May 29, 2020 09:03 AM
Subject Shooting Crows

Right 0839 AM - crows are incredible animals but their thriving off man's detritus has so unnaturally bloated their population that other bird species are overly impacted from their predation of nestlings. I am all for culling their population in a "legal" way.

a-1590766740 May 29, 2020 08:39 AM
Subject Shooting Crows

Crows prey on songbird eggs. In our neighborhood they also thrive on pet food left outdoors. One neighbor must actually feed them because I can see them sitting on the fence and as soon as I hear the slider close a second time they immediately fly down apparently to eat.

a-1590768130 May 29, 2020 09:02 AM
Subject Shooting Crows

Hey guess what? People prey on all manner of God's creatures and have turned that predation into factory efficiency. Crows are not depleting songbird populations they way humans are driving many species to extinction. I'm more incensed by the trophy killing of baby elephants than the natural predation that's been the call of the wild for millennia.

SBLetsGetAlong May 29, 2020 07:04 AM
Subject Shooting Crows

There seem to be more crows this spring, perhaps fish & game should investigate this invasive species.

As I sit with my coffee there are two dozen crows around, harassing the morning doves.

I don’t think the doves are attacking the crows eggs.

If the crows are overpopulated then humans will do what they do, irradiate what they think is invasive or unattractive.

Look at the science project on the Channel Islands where they’re trying to play God & balance the eco system. Bring in lions, kill lions, kill “non native” animals, wait the tourists love the buffalo. We’re making an exception to the buffalo because it brings in tourism dollars.

I don’t think crows bring in tourists. If they are overpopulated & non native, SB do what you always do, play God. After all humans know what’s best.

sbbeachguy May 29, 2020 06:35 AM
Subject Shooting Crows

Funny. When I was growing up (50s) there was a 15 cent per head bounty on crows, paid from the Fish and Game Preservation Fund.

Basicinfo805 May 28, 2020 01:54 PM
Subject Shooting Crows

I can't stand crows either, too noisy and irritating.

JayKay May 28, 2020 05:19 PM
Subject Shooting Crows

Have you ever been walking down state street in the evening hours when the flocks of crows come through, all stopping in the trees for a moment "what's that raining sound" "oh shit!"

a-1590700554 May 28, 2020 02:15 PM
Subject Shooting Crows

BASICINFO805 - so would you approve of killing them just because they're "noisy?"

a-1590699560 May 28, 2020 01:59 PM
Subject Shooting Crows

I just wish they wouldn't gang up on the hawks. I like hawks more.

Alexblue May 29, 2020 11:37 AM
Subject Shooting Crows

389, let me know when you want to have a conversation using your own words and thoughts. I'm not in to talking with a recycling container.

a-1590697994 May 28, 2020 01:33 PM
Subject Shooting Crows

Decades ago, We kept finding marbles in our driveway. Over about a two month period. A mystery. On Xmas morning, I saw a man I recognized standing under my 75’ Eucalyptus street tree. He was aiming his wrist rocket up into the tree. Aiming at Crows. This dude lived over a block away, but told me he didn’t like Crows because of their cawing. After a short discussion, I realized he wasn’t going to stop his vendetta against our neighborhood Crows. I called Fish & Game and the officer had a talk with this creep. The Crows were left alone and there were no more marbles in our driveway. @GIZMO1: I can’t believe some guy was shooting at Crows (or anything else) up on The Mesa for years and then not being reported right away.

biguglystick May 29, 2020 12:11 PM
Subject Shooting Crows

How awful! Thank you for taking charge and making your nasty neighbor stop killing or maiming and hurting crows. I love them! They are SO smart and cool. They use tools, they recognize human faces! They remember when people are nice to them and when people are mean. Incredible animals. Check out this article about crows: https://www.thefactsite.com/facts-about-crows/

a-1590703155 May 28, 2020 02:59 PM
Subject Shooting Crows

I knew a guy in college who slingshot pennies at the crows in the nearby eucalyptus trees from his third-floor window. I doubt he ever hit any, but there is a fortune in pennies under those trees.

d8vanilla May 28, 2020 10:06 AM
Subject Shooting Crows

Few things..... Years ago, I was at an outside, backyard, BBQ party, and the guy had put a GIANT stuffed Lion up in his Eucalyptus tree.... to scare all the birds away.... and, it worked!!!
The other thing, Crows are really really scary smart, and they do have facial recognition.... probably plotting their revenge on that Crow-Killer..... Check out the semi-documentary "A Murder of Crows".....

Roger May 28, 2020 08:52 AM
Subject Shooting Crows

I hope after I leave this planet I come back as a seagull..

RHS May 28, 2020 04:47 PM
Subject Shooting Crows

Roger, just this morning I witnessed a single crow harassing a sea gull unmercifully. One suspects the sea gull was trying for the crowlets.

JayKay May 28, 2020 09:00 AM
Subject Shooting Crows

you could also come back as a Mockingbird. they harass crows all day long all over SB.

Roger May 28, 2020 08:49 AM
Subject Shooting Crows

I heard that call on Mesa Lane I posted it somewhere I think I posted it in the Roger Reports and it was taken down I'm sure it was in the scanner reports..

gizmo1 May 28, 2020 08:46 AM
Subject Shooting Crows

They just recently cited ?I believe a guy on 300 block Mesa Ln for shooting hundreds of crows over the years -didn't read anything anywhere about it-hopefully they prosecute him to the fullest-jerk off

Roger May 28, 2020 08:30 AM
Subject Shooting Crows

Because the crows are annoying him I hope they shit on his head.