By an edhat reader

I was at Home Depot last night and a delivery person was not wearing a mask. Several employees were walking around with either their masks pulled down below their noses and/or off completely, as well as several customers without masks. At Whole Foods there was an employee stocking shelves with the mask below their nose. No one said or did anything. Is there anything that can be done about this or do we just avoid patronizing these businesses for now?

Chip of SB May 26, 2020 10:44 AM
Mask Noncompliance

You make a good point seabird. The authoritarians among us have been longing for a situation like this virus for years. They love to nitpick every last detail of what is allowed, what isn't, and how to punish those who do not obey and conform. I came to Santa Barbara because I appreciated the laid back, live and let live attitude that used to prevail here. I am deeply disappointed to see how up-tight this community has become.

sacjon May 26, 2020 11:47 AM
Mask Noncompliance

CHIP - hate to break it to you, but SB is one of the least laid back places I've lived, and I was born and raised here. There is a HUGE population of "nosy neighbors" here. That said, I still can't agree with you about the virus being used as a "authoritarian weapon" or something, but I am admittedly coming around on this whole thing. It's time for us to adapt and live life. We cannot keep cancelling and shutting everything down. Go out and live, but do it safely and wear a mask inside stores (no need to do it in your car or walking on the beach)!

jak May 26, 2020 09:09 AM
Mask Noncompliance

OP, I would strongly recommend just not patronizing any business whose policies and practices bother you. Personally, I live out of California now and our mask recommendations are a lot more flexible than yours. But my employer requires masks and daily medical screenings (and they provide both). I always wear a mask when out in public with a few exceptions. First, I have a hard time not fogging up my safety glasses when I need to wear a pair. My regular eyewear is less prone to fogging but it occasionally becomes an issue if my mask is the wrong type or it slips out of perfect positioning (which means I must frequently adjust my masks and glasses). 2) when I’m far away from the nearest people in a low traffic area, especially outdoors, I take my mask off of my nose (to avoid fogged glasses). 3) I don’t drive with a mask - too dangerous if my glasses fog at this wrong moment.

PitMix May 26, 2020 10:23 AM
Mask Noncompliance

There are plenty of examples of maskless people and yet the rates of infection are not skyrocketing. If the number of irresponsible people remains about the same, that means that the virus will slowly spread through our community until the vaccine is developed. As long as we don't exceed the hospitals' capacity to care for us, then we are doing okay. High risk groups are just going to have to self-isolate until them. If it is a question of high-risk groups not being able to get the items they need, then we need to figure out a way to get it to them.

Sam The Dog May 26, 2020 10:38 AM
Mask Noncompliance

That's right Pitmix. A vaccine may not even be possible and best case it's a year away. Alternative is herd immunity which means people will have to catch the virus. High-risk groups can utilize the plethora of delivery services available to keep them home and and keep them safe.

Potif May 26, 2020 01:33 PM
Mask Noncompliance

It isn’t even known if we actually develop immunity to the Covid19 virus. And, if we do, how long the immunity lasts. I have had the pneumonia shot twice. One of each type. The measurements of antibodies six months after the first one were below normal for someone who had never had the shot. They gave me a second ‘newer improved’ one and tested after one month. The antibody level came back lower than after the first one. The testing was done to find out how my body responded due to some problems I was having. Makes me wonder how effective the pneumonia shot is, since antibody levels aren’t not normally checked after one gets the shot. On the other hand, my tetanus antibody levels were high when they were tested at the same time, and I have gotten tetanus shots over the years.

a-1590527355 May 26, 2020 02:09 PM
Mask Noncompliance

My wife and I are only two examples, but we both had the virus and were briefly sick back in late January. I am in my late 60s and my wife is in her early 60s. I have yet to wear a mask, won't wear a mask, and have tried to be normally active, out and about, and enjoying myself as much as possible amid this chaos. If we were going to get sick again, it certainly would have happened by now that it has been four months. There probably will be more cases of illness (not just contraction) when winter comes, but we just can't keep here wondering "what will happen next" and that's why herd immunity is a good thing.

PitMix May 26, 2020 03:42 PM
Mask Noncompliance

2:09, I was also very sick in March with about 6 of the symptoms they associate with this disease. Haven't had the antibody test, but am pretty sure I have at least some antibodies that should protect me from the west coast version of this illness, at least until it mutates. But I wear a mask to let other people know that we are in this together, and I am doing something minor to give them some reassurance that I am preventing the disease from spreading. Without giving everyone who sees me these facts, or wearing a mask, I am just adding to their stress level. Why would I want to do that?

macpuzl May 26, 2020 03:48 PM
Mask Noncompliance

Right now, the only proven path to immunity, long or short-term, is death.

Coolio May 26, 2020 10:55 AM
Mask Noncompliance

Unfortunately it won't be the ones not wearing mask that get really sick or die but the elderly and those with health issues that'll pay the price when the second wave hits are we get a big spike.

a-1590526919 May 26, 2020 02:01 PM
Mask Noncompliance

When the "second wave hits"? Wasn't that back in March and April, or did we miss something?

a-1590528067 May 26, 2020 02:21 PM
Mask Noncompliance

2:01 - The FIRST wave was in March/April.

a-1590530450 May 26, 2020 03:00 PM
Mask Noncompliance

What was January/February? Must have been no wave those months then if you think it was March/April was the first.

a-1590532680 May 26, 2020 03:38 PM
Mask Noncompliance

This is life. Those are the groups who always pay the price. So if you’re in that group take responsibility for yourself. Take every precaution to give yourself a better chance. You can’t expect the government to protect everyone from the harsh world.

JayKay May 26, 2020 10:07 PM
Mask Noncompliance

I'm still waiting for our Public Policy to be Science Based - "what is the point of publicly funded science? " - shorturl.at/gqt08

sbbulldog May 26, 2020 11:26 AM
Mask Noncompliance

It appears that older folks have more experience and have learned lessons about patience. To everything there is a season. This is the season of caution and mutual support.

There is a younger demographic that prioritizes social contact. It's hormonal and normal. But these are not normal times and priority must give way to community risk.

We can't escape the fact that the behaviors of others sometimes invade our lives, our health, and community. Think it through, talk calmly to the youngers, and enlist their aid. It could be a "thing".

Pages