Goleta's Prisoner of War Camp

Goleta's Prisoner of War Camp title=
Goleta's Prisoner of War Camp

By Tom Modugno of Goleta History

We knocked out another video for those history buffs that are too lazy to read ;)

Just kidding, video is a fun medium to share history with. This one's about the POW Camp in western Goleta.

If you’re driving on the 101, just south of El Capitan, look towards the ocean and you may see this old wooden structure. Believe it or not, it is the remains of a water tower from a prisoner of war camp! To learn more local history go to http://goletahistory.com/

CoastWatch May 26, 2020 01:13 PM
Goleta's Prisoner of War Camp

Quite a contrast to the Civilian Internment Camp the Japanese incarcerated my family in for 4 years in Indonesia. Killed my civilian grandfather, starved, rape and hard labor for my grandmother and her 3 kids were hunting rats and insects for food.

a-1594601560 May 26, 2020 01:23 AM
Goleta's Prisoner of War Camp

Is it at 34.457121, -119.988659 to the left of 101 just before it goes along the beach approaching El Capitan?

a-1594601560 May 25, 2020 08:35 PM
Goleta's Prisoner of War Camp

Interesting, that’s very close to where the Japanese landed a bomb. Thanks for sharing.

a-1594601560 May 25, 2020 02:44 PM
Goleta's Prisoner of War Camp

Thank you so much for posting. I really enjoyed the video. I will pass the link a long to a WWII vet. He is 99! My Dad was a WWII vet and went to live in Germany after the war. My sister and I were born there.

Lucky 777 May 25, 2020 01:06 PM
Goleta's Prisoner of War Camp

Fine video, what an asset to the locals to be able to learn these things! I once talked with Mom of Mom's Italian Village and she told me she had considered it wrong that the Italians held up in Lompoc were prisoners, they were Italian boys! So she organized locals to drive up and pick groups of them up to come down for a good meal at her restaurant and a dance, for which she recruited local girls in a sort of USO. She said fondly than many of them returned to Santa Barbara after the war, married girls they had flirted with at those dances, and she was able to tell me specific walls around town, especially in Montecito, that were the handicraft of Italian stonemasons. Together with Arnoldi's Cafe next door those restaurants were an important gathering area for local Italians.

aragorn May 25, 2020 10:52 AM
Goleta's Prisoner of War Camp

This former POW camp should be registered as a historical landmark. Image that these POW German soldiers were taken to Mom's Italian Village for a meal every once in a while . I sure miss Mom's. Last time I was there it was in the early 90's. My mom and I really enjoyed going there in the 60's when I was a kid. I even remember Mom.

Luvaduck May 25, 2020 07:39 AM
Goleta's Prisoner of War Camp

This would be a great way to detain gang members and petty crooks without costing the moon and with time served not sitting around idle or working out to develop more threatening physiques. It would offer an opportunity for classes in life skills and language and not be a expensive waste of time all around.

d8vanilla May 24, 2020 07:46 PM
Goleta's Prisoner of War Camp

Super WOW.... really interesting video. I hadn't known about that camp, but I was aware of that look-out platform, that you could see, in the hills, before the tunnel near Gaviota.... Not sure if that's still there anymore.

KevinSB May 24, 2020 06:31 PM
Goleta's Prisoner of War Camp

Agree with the first 2 comments. This was outstanding and informative and can you imagine we had They escaped?!