By Gloria Almeida

I'm not a smoker.  In fact, I very much dislike being around smokers when they light up. But give me a break! Does the City of Santa Barbara really have the right, to take away your RIGHT?

What are the folks going to do in-between AA meetings, or someone meeting another for coffee? And do they had the RIGHT to close down cigar shops where folks like to gather to taste and chat, with those alike?

I say to the city, SHOW ME THE DEED that you OWN the city.  Post the legal paperwork required in the newspaper.  Or show me the Permits for all Santa Barbaras "space".

And how in the world will this 'new way' be enforced. Smoking Patrol Officers handing out citations?  How much would that 'ticket' be?  Will it get to the point officers with start collecting butts from the street, then sending it out for its DNA? Sounds crazy right?  BECAUSE IT IS!!!!  Sorry beautiful Santa Barbara, but I think it just ain't gonna fly.

JustmeSB Nov 23, 2017 08:31 AM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

On the mention of wood burning fires, well the UN is trying to replace millions of wood burning stoves. Why? Wood fires (yes BBQs, fireplaces, etc.) throw off the same nasty chemicals as cigarettes only they are equal to 500 cigarettes an hour! Why do you think that there are air quality warnings when there is a fire? So, this cigarette ban is only accounting for a minor amount of air pollution by smoke.

RHS Nov 23, 2017 09:21 AM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

This is absurd. Cigarettes are pack full of chemicals that the makers add to tobacco to keep it burning, for flavor and for aroma. Wood (and untreated tobacco) are natural products that do not emit these chemicals when burnt. The reasons to get rid of wood burning stoves are many but not this one. for example, because we are running out of forest land and because wood burning puts smoke into the air which is problematic separately from the cigarette issue.

Resident Nov 23, 2017 08:24 AM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

"Does the City of Santa Barbara really have the right, to take away your RIGHT?" Until someone wants to spend the money to challenge the law in a court then it will stand. So if you feel that strongly about it, perhaps you can file a law suit in superior court?

LocalMatt Nov 23, 2017 07:08 AM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

When your rights fringe on others rights, it becomes a nuisance. Can you skateboard on state? No because it's a hazard. Can you bike on the sidewalk? No. That's what a bike lane is for. Can I set up a fire pit on state and cook Smores? No. The point is your freedoms for smoking go out the window when it directly affects others. It's a habit people can quit smoking or go where it doesn't infringe on my right to be free from it.

therealbebe Nov 23, 2017 02:16 PM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

No. LocalMatt, while it may be your preference, it's not actually you're "right" to be "free of cigarette smoke" - it's your preference. I prefer to not be around fearful, entitled people. Unfortunately (for all of us) it's not my "right to be free of" them. Lots of things offend my senses (and sensibilities). It's MY job to remove myself from those nuisances, not to insist that OTHERS conform to what I find pleasant.

jqb Nov 23, 2017 01:21 AM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

"Does the City of Santa Barbara really have the right" Yes. "to take away your RIGHT?" There's no such right. "I say to the city, SHOW ME THE DEED that you OWN the city." You are a profoundly stupid person.

420722 Nov 22, 2017 04:31 PM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

I don’t know what the big deal is. I still see everyone smoking everywhere. Jut keep doing what you do and I think they are going to find out that this whole thing is a bust. I hate cigarettes, absolutely can’t stand the smell but I’ve noticed people are generally courteous and try to distance themselves when smoking.

new2sb Nov 22, 2017 09:08 PM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

420, I agree with you! Yep, really I do... People still do it. See them all of the time still. As long as people are courteous, take their butts, throw them away, so on....who cares right!?! I do! Soon, it could be don't play rap so loud driving down the street or ANYTHING else. Man I don't like people who do that...your car shakes and things, it's rude, it's obnoxious...but this is America! I like as much freedom as we can stomach...less government. In the meantime, thanks to all of the well mannered smokers. One last thing, the golf course thing is the ultimate double standard...it's not about cigarettes there...it's all about cigars. No one is gonna say you can't smoke a cigar while golfing. I say so. If no on the beach. No on the course...Join a private club hypocrite. Good call pointing out the courteous smoker bit 420.

lifer Nov 22, 2017 01:18 PM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

Nimby...until you no longer have a back yard? Allow bureaucrats to legislate away everything you dont like and that permission eventually gets used to take away the freedoms you DO enjoy. I don’t enjoy 2nd hand smoke...but I dont want an elected official to tell me where I can pick my nose.

RHS Nov 23, 2017 08:33 AM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

Should that duty fall to a non-elected person--maybe your nana? Seriously, get a grip. It ain't the "bureaucrats" that passed this ordinance, it was the elected representatives. Your gripe is against democracy itself. Or is there some Constitutional protection of the right to smoke in public places? Btw, I don't like the ordinance myself but it was passed in the proper course of business.

EastBeach Nov 22, 2017 12:51 PM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

Smoking is a right? Is driving a right? Is driving while drunk a right? The point is, when a person's activities harms others, regulations can be put in place. Of course, the regulations can't be arbitrary and must be consistent with regulatory authority. That would be a better place for the OP to make an argument (if she can).

Roger Nov 22, 2017 12:39 PM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

People call in on their cell phones and snitch I heard one the other day a guy was hiding between 2 cars smoking and someone called it in There are a lot of Stool Pigeons around town...

a-1513205734 Nov 22, 2017 12:26 PM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

It's actually discrimination folks. An addiction cannot be discriminated against in CA. I suggest if anyone is cited, to file suit as such and get it overturned. That will teach them.

a-1513205734 Nov 23, 2017 09:00 AM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

There is a lot of discrimination around. Most children learn about it in high school and a little later. You just can't do everything that comes to mind. You wanna wanna wanna? Tough. The needs of the individual have to be balanced against the needs of the whole. Get used to it.

a-1513205734 Nov 22, 2017 12:20 PM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

I also like how they ban smoking from "sports" complexes or field, yet smoking is permitted at the City Golf Course...... I guess the City Council wants the comfort of smoking when they're golfing.... .... first it's shopping bags, then resturant bags, now stryo food containers...... what's next..... will we have to pay for the air and the right to walk around.....

a-1513205734 Nov 22, 2017 12:11 PM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

I agree... the City doesn't own the air... or the ocean for gosh sakes....... They want the smokers when they're looking for someone to tax...... I think this new thing is ridiculous..... and yes I am a smoker, but I'm a respectful smoker..... and I spend alot of time in SB and I will continue to smoke outdoors, where no one is in my immediate area..... as for enforcement... the darn police can't respond to lots of calls..... so how will they enforce this dumb thing.......

a-1513205734 Nov 22, 2017 07:31 PM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

Give me a break! 2nd hand smoke is only an issue if you are inhaling it constantly like in a closed environment, not a few whiffs here and there. Next we'll have wood burning fireplaces banned! People in this town are crazy and I agree, anyone tries to detain me under a citizens arrest is going to find themselves served with a lawsuit and will be paying me for the rest of their life.

a-1513205734 Nov 22, 2017 07:31 PM

GeneralTree Nov 22, 2017 02:53 PM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

Please try to place me under citizens arrest for a minor infarction. I beg you. I would own your house, get your paycheck sent to me and legally defend myself.

rubington Nov 22, 2017 02:05 PM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

Citizen's arrest? Are you kidding me? If someone was smoking on the sidewalk and you = tired to forcefully detain them, you would be facing major legal consequence as well as an a$$ kicking. Insane!

rubington Nov 22, 2017 02:06 PM

running_mike Nov 22, 2017 01:07 PM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

Responsible smoker? I do not smoke, don't like the smell, and do everything possible to stay away from areas of smokers. Haven't you read: 2nd HAND SMOKE kills and I have known plenty of people that were not so lucky, both smokers and non-smokers. If I'm able to photograph you smoking in a place you are not permitted, I WILL call the police AND I WILL do a citizens arrest if they don't arrive.

RHS Nov 23, 2017 08:36 AM
OP-ED: Fight Back Against the Anti-Smoking Policy

And the RV ban by and large. "Complaint driven" enforcement means all will be discriminatory in application and unfair in general. Having laws that are kept aside as cudgels means we are denied equal protection and due process when charged.