Water Wasting on Cota

Water Wasting on Cota title=
Water Wasting on Cota

By an edhat reader

My husband and I walked down Cota Street and saw this water gushing last Wednesday morning. We went to the city parks department on Laguna Street and told them about it, and where it was. They said they would take care of it.

This morning, Monday morning, we walked by again and the water is still gushing! Are we in a drought? Is water gushing like this OK? It's directly across from the MTD gate on Cota Street, and someone might have seen it? I am appalled that this can be allowed to happen and no one cares.

RHS Nov 21, 2017 10:47 AM
Water Wasting on Cota

I have called city water hot line on two occasions over the past years and they responded promptly and efficiently and took care of the problem. Critics, please take a deep breathe and avoid the knee jerk anti-government diatribes.

StevenLeuck Nov 21, 2017 09:41 AM
Water Wasting on Cota

Anyone think to just knock on the door and inform the homeowner or leave a note? Everyone seems hot to see this person get fined. I'm sure it's not like they did it on person.

a-1513205180 Nov 22, 2017 08:43 PM
Water Wasting on Cota

my first reaction also. I've done it before. if it's sprinklers, just say "I thought your timer broke" to start.

pii Nov 21, 2017 08:30 AM
Water Wasting on Cota

Looks to be to be a broken pipe. Something broke, which falls into the accident category, not insensitivity to the drought. I am sure Parks appreciates the heads up. When they can find someone not on break. Oops, that last comment is unwarranted.

roadrunnerot Nov 20, 2017 04:42 PM
Water Wasting on Cota

Oh no. :( I reported a concern using this email recently (WConservation@santabarbaraca.gov), and received a response within minutes.

Flicka Nov 20, 2017 02:30 PM
Water Wasting on Cota

In all of California, Santa Barbara and Ojai are the only places still considered to be in a drought. Even so, wasting water in CA should never happen, it's precious everywhere.

Always_Running Nov 20, 2017 12:19 PM
Water Wasting on Cota

Aren’t you able to call the police department. They can ticket the violator

RLJ Nov 20, 2017 11:20 AM
Water Wasting on Cota

City workers don't care. Why did you think otherwise?

a-1513205180 Nov 20, 2017 11:09 AM
Water Wasting on Cota

Wow, that is a LOT of wasted water. Ideally, Parks should be able to contact Water and get this fixed. I can't say I'm surprised the message never arrived (or was ignored). Try calling the Water Dept directly, or even knock on the door of the property owner - it appears to be a break on the owner's side of the meter, which means they are paying for this water. Ouch. https://www.santabarbaraca.gov/gov/depts/pw/resources/contact.asp