By an edhat reader

Just a thought, what if the drive-in could reopen, no snack bar of course. But a place to watch a new movie and to feel like your outside, even if you gotta stay in your car.

pstarSR Apr 03, 2020 05:37 PM
Drive in Theater for Entertainment?

I love this "would it be possible?" sure, get a bunch of money together and do it. cause they closed since NO one went. and they lost money. so if you can come up with the cash to make it work. do it, otherwise that just sounded like you asking for "someone" to open entertainment for you.

Col Apr 03, 2020 02:10 PM
Drive in Theater for Entertainment?

If your house isn't spotless then you go nowhere. Now get in that house and finish the chores that you have been putting off for...years. Learn to play the oboe, become fluent in Swahili, learn to make noodles from scratch. Dust under the bed and get those baseboards! Go on...back inside.

chava51 Apr 03, 2020 09:21 AM
Drive in Theater for Entertainment?

I think it could be a safe entertainment option. Stay in your car. Bring your own snacks. Need to use the rest room? Go home!

a-1590555337 Apr 03, 2020 08:49 AM
Drive in Theater for Entertainment?

So because you want to feel like you're outside others have to be put at risk? Seriously? You can go for a drive in your car, go for a walk maintaining distances, and be outside without putting others at risk ie employees of the drive in. Why are people so selfish? Can you not just stay home! We are so spoiled with our instant gratifications - most ppl when they go out are on their phones anyway, why now can people just not do what needs to be done! What would you do if you lived in little house on the prairie days? Good grief!!!

a-1590555337 Apr 03, 2020 10:08 AM
Drive in Theater for Entertainment?

8:49 - and if I lived in "little house on the prairie days," I would do as they did - be creative and try to have as much of the comforts of "normal life" as possible, while adapting to keep safe. Having a drive in open with no restrooms, no snacks, etc etc is the definition of adapting and keeping safe.

sacjon Apr 03, 2020 09:51 AM
Drive in Theater for Entertainment?

8:49 - Who is being put at risk here? Families drive in, pay through their phones so no one needs to even see them at the gate, no restrooms to clean/maintain, no snack shop to run, just the projector (in a closed booth away from everyone) and a security guard or 2 making sure people don't get too rowdy. It's the same as anywhere, be safe and don't get close to others. Easy to do!

Crystalandmaui Apr 03, 2020 08:48 AM
Drive in Theater for Entertainment?

My thought was to buy your tickets online, I read some comments of people saying, you’ll breath the same air if you go to the bathroom. Huh so your not breathing the same air in the stores and standing in line with others? I for one, if I had to use the bathroom, then wear a mask. But I think most of us, can hold our bladder for longer then 2 hours. Those who can’t, I think they wouldn’t go to the drive-in. But I think a lot of us would.

Nature Boy Apr 03, 2020 04:52 PM
Drive in Theater for Entertainment?

Crystal: Yes you’re breathing the same air as others when you go to the grocery store, but buying food is necessary and going to the movies isn’t. That’s the difference here. See?

a-1590555337 Apr 03, 2020 07:28 AM
Drive in Theater for Entertainment?

I thought of this , too! Then the whole bathroom thing nixed it for me. Remember, folks, it's fine and healthy to go outside and recreate. I see the vast majority of people in the SB area staying clear of others that they don't live with. There will always be people who break the rules no matter what, thank goodness they are the minority. Take care of your mental and physical health and go out - - - keeping as much physical distance from others as you can.

Nature Boy Apr 02, 2020 06:08 PM
Drive in Theater for Entertainment?

Also, think about the drive-in employees who would have a hard time keeping 6ft from fellow employees, touching things that their fellow employees just touched, etc. Simply not worth it, just for people to watch a movie, something we can do from home.

sacjon Apr 02, 2020 09:28 PM
Drive in Theater for Entertainment?

Nature - can you list the 10 people on the skeleton crew of a drive in with no concessions, no restrooms and no cash admission (venmo or paypal )? If you used to work at a drive in, I'd be interested to know what it takes to put on a movie?

Nature Boy Apr 02, 2020 08:56 PM
Drive in Theater for Entertainment?

SACJON, Yeah, no. It doesn’t take ONE person plus “one or two guards” to make a public drive-in movie happen. Not even close. Even TEN people would be a skeleton crew. And more importantly, making even ten people go into work just so people can watch movies while sitting in their car instead of on their couch is ludicrous. “Thinking outside the box” might get my elderly parents killed, so I’d respectfully urge everyone to follow the advice of the experts. Thanks!!

sacjon Apr 02, 2020 06:40 PM
Drive in Theater for Entertainment?

Nature - you're not thinking outside the box. No restrooms, no snacks, means the only employees would be to turn on the movie and maybe 1 or 2 security guards or something. Don't need a full staff. In these times, anything that can be safely and relatively easily kept going should be. The kids are out of school for the rest of the year now, we NEED some attempts at normalcy. Just need to be creative!

Always_Running Apr 02, 2020 05:54 PM
Drive in Theater for Entertainment?

I emailed them about a month ago. Asking if we (Goleta location) can follow the same rules as Sacramento. No cash, no concession, and must remain in cars. Bathrooms are ok. I didn’t get a no response but they said their were maintenance issues that required attention prior to any reopening announcement. They also have to get approval by the property owner- SkyWest Development, receiving local permits, health department approvals, projector & staff and volunteers to staff the facilities, permission to show movies at additional facility. Didn’t sounds like they intend to reopen, but they’ve already closed & reopened once before.

sacjon Apr 02, 2020 05:45 PM
Drive in Theater for Entertainment?

I'd go! I'd bring a receptacle or bladder bag and pay by venmo or something. But good gravy I would LOVE to get out and be around people again in a "normal" scenario. The problem with all this cancellation of everything is that people are taking it as we can't do ANYTHING now. You can! You can go the beach, say hi to friends from a distance, you can even sit in a parking lot in your car and watch a movie. As this keeps going, we need to be creative in how we can still socialize or do things safely. It can be done, just be SAFE.

Luvaduck Apr 03, 2020 08:18 AM
Drive in Theater for Entertainment?

Extroverts are suffering; usually it's introverts. Introverts routinely have to put up with all the noise and hubbub that extroverts generate! <G>

Nature Boy Apr 02, 2020 05:33 PM
Drive in Theater for Entertainment?

I’d say that seeing a movie in public is not considered an “essential” reason to gather. Even with everyone in their own cars, there’s restroom use (as someone pointed out) and ticket-taking, payment-making, etc. We should only go out for needs like groceries, prescriptions, and similar necessities.

stewart14 Apr 02, 2020 03:08 PM
Drive in Theater for Entertainment?

Cox has been throttling our neighborhood so bad that streaming isn't even possible. I get 300mbps all day long (what I pay for) and when 6pm hits it starts to decline rapidly. By 8:30 I'm lucky to get 2mbps download. It's been a pattern and I've been testing for the past 3 weeks. Happens at the same time every night and then starts to climb back to normal at the same time. Total throttle.

a-1590555337 Apr 02, 2020 02:11 PM
Drive in Theater for Entertainment?

It's almost perfect, but people WILL need to use the restroom over the course of a double- or even single-feature, resulting in hundreds of people sharing the bathroom air. Not a good idea, unless they require (or provide!) diapers for all ages.