Reads 19648

By an edhat reader

I could not help noticing that all of the tattoo shops in Santa Barbara are still open for business. At least they are accepting in house appointments. Are the businesses not on the governor’s “essential” list just allowed to remain open if they limit their customers?

ZeroHawk Mar 31, 2020 11:08 AM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

@772 so people with tattoos and workers at the shops should catch the virus and die? is that what you are saying, referring to natural selection? Ok boomer...what ever makes you feel better.

I have a solid idea. Meet me downtown, we can stay 10 feet away from each other, and I'll personally take you to a few of the shops and let you meet the mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, sons and daughters that all work there. You can tell them in your own words. Hows that sound? Easy to be bold and tough when you are taking to a screen and not a real person in front of you.

Shmonk Mar 31, 2020 02:08 PM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

zero- he is the typical edhat commenter wishing harm on our community from behind the screen

AdamVant Mar 31, 2020 10:52 AM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

How interesting that you can see all of the open tattoo shops in Santa Barbara while you are staying at home.

ZeroHawk Mar 31, 2020 11:06 AM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

Adam, we do not need to stay at home like some agoraphobic society. The actual health officials, not the government, have continuously urged us to get out and exercise, go hiking, go to the beach. SB has a lot of very large beaches. Trails as well. I've been hiking, fishing, reading at the beach and running with my dog on the bluffs. Plenty of room to live your life without getting too close to another person. Staying inside and hiding from reality and life is sad and VERY unhealthy. Wash your hands, don't kiss strangers, etc...but yes, go out side. The world and life does go on....

ZeroHawk Mar 31, 2020 11:03 AM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

First, please share which shops? I live downtown and the owners of Golden Eagle have closed the doors until this is over. Energy Tattoo is also closed. Mission tattoo closed too. So....which one in Santa Barbara is open...or are you just jumping to conclusions and making more drama? lol

CoastWatch Mar 31, 2020 11:11 AM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

It's called being irresponsible. Clueless. Selfish. It won't happen to me, so who cares what "I" do...

sacjon Mar 31, 2020 11:22 AM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

If they are open, they should be shut down. Tattoos are definitely not an essential service now and there's really no way to safely conduct business in a parlor now. If they're open, they are contributing to spreading the virus. It's time people look at this more personally - if you are not complying with the social distancing and cleaning recommendations, then you are causing everyone else to be out of work and school even longer. Quit being selfish and think of others!

a-1585679366 Mar 31, 2020 11:29 AM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

Because it's a self-policed stay at home order, not enforced by the actual police, and people are SELFISH and stupid. Some people think they are somehow separate from and "above" those spreading the disease - when really, they are the ones spreading it...Remember which non-essential businesses are open now and will be indirectly responsible for deaths. They don't deserve patronage should they survive this time. I won't forget.

a-1585686010 Mar 31, 2020 01:20 PM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

PUGLUVR Technically yes, but in reality law enforcement is choosing not to enforce at this time - they have been vocal about asking people to please police themselves and follow the rules.

Pugluvr1912 Mar 31, 2020 01:21 PM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

Actually they said you can report violations to the non emergency line and repeat violations will be enforced

sacjon Mar 31, 2020 01:26 PM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

PUG - even if the police go talk to the shop owners, I doubt they have the authority to close the business. They can maybe ticket them, but why bother the cops? If people just posted the non essential businesses that are open, perhaps the community could pressure them. As you can see from all the crime lately, the cops are pretty busy.

Get over it Mar 31, 2020 11:45 AM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

Definitely non-essential, but I would feel far safer getting a tat right now than heading to Albertsons.

Get over it Mar 31, 2020 08:09 PM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

Seriously? Hypothetical situation, which I thought was obvious. Stupid me. My point is that every tattoo shop in town, that I have been in, is way more sanitary than your local grocery store. Not saying they should be open, calm down... Just saying the stores are gross. 1 like, 9 DV. You folks are not understanding, never been to a store or just trolls. I'm thinking trolls.

Lucky 777 Mar 31, 2020 11:57 AM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

I closed my tattoo studio at State & Mission 2 weeks ago, being 65+ and incapable of tattooing while 6 feet away from my client. Clearly my personal economic hardship is nothing compared to my studio being a vector for disease. My clients who had deposits in for work understand, and we have worked out designs by email and are ready to go once the plague blows past. Anyone who tattoos legally has been educated on universal precautions and would understand the need to shut down now.

Always_Running Mar 31, 2020 12:06 PM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

Not a smoker myself but some smokers rely on cigarettes and may personally struggle during theses time without a stress reliever. Addictive personality and neighbors detoxing from Nicotine is not something we need to add to our community. If liquor stores can stay open then smoker shops should be considered the same. I’m not opposed of curb side drop off

sacjon Mar 31, 2020 12:09 PM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

ALWAYS RUNNING - People can buy cigarettes and other tobacco and grocery stores and convenience/liquor stores.

Always_Running Mar 31, 2020 12:51 PM

Always_Running Mar 31, 2020 12:52 PM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

@Sacjon I haven’t been in a smoke shop in years but I doubt you can buy everything in a grocery store, plus to wait in long lines for a pack of cigarettes. Plus cigars, marijuana accessories, vapor juice and batteries, other items I can’t ever think of. I bet smoke shops have less germs then Rite-aid or Ralph’s

Pugluvr1912 Mar 31, 2020 01:15 PM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

Liquor stores sometimes carry groceries too like the bottle shop on coast village road

sacjon Mar 31, 2020 01:22 PM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

ALWAYS - First of all, not sure how the whole smoke shop debate came up, but you can buy accessories and everything else at most liquor stores, or at one of the 2 cannabis shops (1 in SB, 1 in Goleta) - they're both open for delivery. The only things you can really only get in a tobacco shop are fine cigars and quality pipe tobacco. So what's the point? Are you upset that tobacco shops are closed? Are they? I would think they're not. Either way, hope this helps!

Pugluvr1912 Mar 31, 2020 02:57 PM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

I’m not paranoid. And when I say stay home, I mean only go out for essentials or excersize, but be careful

sacjon Mar 31, 2020 03:02 PM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

PUG - you've been continuously advocating for closing down all public places - beaches, parks, trails, etc.

Pugluvr1912 Mar 31, 2020 03:04 PM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

Advocating to promote social distancing doesn’t make me paranoid. Just look at what happened in places like Florida and Louisiana.

sacjon Mar 31, 2020 03:08 PM
Why are Tattoo Shops Still Open?

PUG - closing down beaches and parks isn't the same as advocating for social distancing. Yes, in Florida they did and we already went over this - it was to deter the 100s of 1000s of Spring Break partiers. We don't have that here so we don't need to completely shut down the beaches (except maybe if anyone shows up for Deltopia). There IS a middle ground to all this.