By an edhat reader

Has anyone found a reliable online grocery delivery service in Santa Barbara? Thanks.

EastBeach Mar 30, 2020 12:47 PM
Grocery Delivery Service

NPR is reporting Instacart workers nationwide plan on going on strike today ..... https://www.npr.org/2020/03/30/823767492/amazon-instacart-grocery-delivery-workers-strike-for-coronavirus-protection-and-

Roger Mar 29, 2020 03:51 PM
Grocery Delivery Service

I'm curious being on a fixed income what do these delivery services charge? I have a good friend that picks things up for me once in a while. I really don't go out very much at all especially now.

lutra Mar 30, 2020 08:32 AM
Grocery Delivery Service

Just wanted to add: currently, it looks like instacart delivery fees are $3.99 for most grocery stores (Ralphs, Vons, Albertsons, Gelsons, Sprouts) and $8.99 for Costco. But the delivery fee isn't set and can vary depending on how busy they are.

lutra Mar 29, 2020 08:57 PM
Grocery Delivery Service

The delivery fee for Instacart varies depending on the delivery time slot you choose, how busy it is, etc. It's not a set fee. You also have to pay a "service fee". So the charges are: cost of groceries (usually marked up compared to the price at the store) + delivery fee + service fee + tip (of your choice) for delivery person. If you have a Costco membership, it's best to order delivery directly through the Costco website. If you do that, the delivery will still be done by Instacart, but the delivery fee is waived, and there's no service fee.

Lucky 777 Mar 29, 2020 03:50 PM
Grocery Delivery Service

Instacart used to be 2 hour delivery but now is up to 5 days out with MANY items out of stock, But you can order from Smart & Final, Costco, Sprouts, Vons, Ralphs, Gelsons, CVS Pharmacy, Petco, Albertsons and Bevmo..... and you can ask them to just leave it at your doorstep unless you are getting alcohol, in which case they want to see your ID for age verification. They charge a $99 annual fee and then deliveries are free as long as each order is over $35. https://www.instacart.com

lutra Mar 29, 2020 09:00 PM
Grocery Delivery Service

The $99 annual fee is for "Instacart Express", which is their membership program. However, you don't have to join that if you're not going to order a lot. You can just pay a delivery fee for each order.

HopeInSB Mar 29, 2020 02:16 PM
Grocery Delivery Service

I’ve basically lost all my income with COVID-19. I’d be happy to deliver groceries. (669)247-2424

midair Mar 29, 2020 02:25 PM
Grocery Delivery Service

Smart and Final and I'm sure other stores are hiring like mad for delivery people.

sbpaddy Mar 29, 2020 01:54 PM
Grocery Delivery Service

There was no times available for my Gelson's order until I got up at 2:30 this morning and got Friday afternoon. At least it is available.

Wm. Smithers Mar 29, 2020 12:42 PM
Grocery Delivery Service

On a recent Saturday night my wife and I used GrubHub to order from KFC .The order was accepted, confirmed by email and a delivery time specified. We waited and nothing came. Then arrived a phone call: “Sorry, your order has been canceled.” I had used GrubHub once before with a terrible experience. The driver called and said he couldn't find the address, though it is plainly displayed on the front wall and all front lights were lit. When I tried to guide him properly on the phone, he said, “Yes, I see it.” Then he left the delivery bags on the sidewalk 30 feet from our front door and left. After the GubHub debacle described in the first paragraph, we used DoorDash to order from Lure Fishhouse. The order was accepted and confirmed by email, scheduled for delivery at about 9:18 P..M. We waited and nothing came. At 9:40 I checked my email. A 9:01 message said, “You order has been canceled.”

mp805 Mar 29, 2020 11:25 AM
Grocery Delivery Service

site https://www.zoomerstoboomers.com/ Not sure if anyone saw there is a group of local highschool students who started a site called zoomerstoboomers for grocery delivery. an online site where seniors can submit a grocery list and a staff of high schoolers will head out to do the shopping and deliver to their homes. here is the Noozhawk article..... https://www.noozhawk.com/article/zoomers_ready_to_do_grocery_shopping_for_boomers_during_pandemic

happy camper Mar 29, 2020 11:17 AM
Grocery Delivery Service

just tried instacard. ordered from Costco and Gelsons. After ordering, got prompt that said they couldn't commit to Costco order, even if I selected 'first available' and it didn't let me complete Gelson's order until I deleted all of Costco order. a hassle and not very clear, but Gelsons order is in as of Sunday morning, to be delivered Friday afternoon. so if things are already five days out, folks better plan ahead! still, a nice service if it works.

Soccer-Fan Mar 29, 2020 10:45 AM
Grocery Delivery Service

I was a child in England during WWII and remember rationing. Never saw a banana until the war ended in 1945 and hated the first one I tasted. Preferring the dried ones I had eaten for years. People would queue patiently for hours. Hoping for some kind of meat - lamb chops or a beef roast - often receiving sausages - which I loved anyway! Cans of Spam arrived in care packages from the much admired and appreciated U.S. along Babe Ruth and Mars chocolate bars, wrapped in great magazines - I think NY Post - which I eagerly grabbed, to gaze in wonder at the ads. displaying smart beautiful women and handsome men admiring enormous shiny chrome trimmed automobiles!

EastBeach Mar 29, 2020 12:22 PM
Grocery Delivery Service

SOCCER_FAN: Such great memories! I was motivated by your post to find this interesting history of Spam. You might enjoy this ..... https://www.eater.com/2014/7/9/6191681/a-brief-history-of-spam-an-american-meat-icon

tagdes Mar 29, 2020 10:06 AM
Grocery Delivery Service

Been using Instacart from Smart & Final, first 2 times were same day, now about 5 days lead time but accurate orders, will sub if you like, give you notice of 1-2 hour delivery window and update you if running late. Have gotten 95% as ordered and 100% with doable substitutions, they will call from the store to OK them. Sure, not a great store, but beats standing in line for TJs.

a-1591100203 Mar 29, 2020 09:39 AM
Grocery Delivery Service

Our friends have had good luck with Gelson's - although they are 5 days out with service. They don't have any of this years most wanted Christmas toys - toilet paper, Clorox wipes, hand sanitizer, etc...

Potif Mar 29, 2020 09:34 PM
Grocery Delivery Service

Excellent little addition of humor. THANKS... I’M SMILING!!!! :)

Soccer-Fan Mar 29, 2020 09:17 AM
Grocery Delivery Service

Last week after multi attempts, lots of frustration eventually ordered on the 16th safe for both deliver and customer " leave on doorstop delivery" from Smart & Final. Delivery scheduled 31st. Fingers crossed. Previously for 2 years received orders delivered by S&F. Excellent conscientious delivers and super efficient website. Spouse and I in middle 80"s. Went to Whole Food's 7 30 :a.m senior hour . Super clean, rigid separation rules, disciplined by managerial staff and small groups admitted gradually.

bradleybennett Mar 29, 2020 07:34 AM
Grocery Delivery Service

look into Plow to Porch Organics and Farm Cart Organics. Both supply organics locally grown veggies but also have grocery add ones like beef, pork, chicken, seafood, eggs and more.

Icre84U Mar 29, 2020 07:19 AM
Grocery Delivery Service

Nope. Registered for Vons home delivery, but calendar only looks one week ahead and not a single delivery slot available. Tried the "pick up at store" option and for some reason it said closest store was way out in Thousand Oaks!

ljmdance Mar 29, 2020 07:18 AM
Grocery Delivery Service

Neighbors/friends could offer to take turns for one another.