Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place title=

By edhat staff

California Governor Gavin Newsom has announced a statewide shelter in place order for all residents during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Nearly 40 million people are ordered to stay home until further notice unless it's absolutely necessary to leave starting at midnight on Thursday. An end date was not given as this is expected to help slow the spread of COVID-19.

The order states the following businesses are allowed to remain open: gas stations, pharmacies, food stores (grocery, foodbanks, convenience stores, take out, delivery), banks, laundry services. Essential state and local government functions will also remain open, including law enforcement and offices that provide government programs and services.

The same closure guidelines are in place for dine-in restaurants, bars and nightclubs, entertainment venues, gyms and fitness studios, public events and gatherings, and convention centers.

Individuals working in "Critical Infrastructure Sectors" as defined by the federal government may continue work. This includes healthcare, energy, transportation, water and waste management, and more.

State law dictates that violations of the order are punishable of a fine up to $1,000, however, officials state they do not plan to direct police to enforce this.

"This is a moment we need to make tough decisions," said Newsom. "This is a moment where we need some straight talk and we need to tell people the truth: We need to bend the curve in the state of California."

Newsom also requested the immediate deployment of the USNS Mercy Hospital Ship to the Port of Los Angeles through September 1, 2020, to help decompress the state’s health care delivery system in Los Angeles.

California health officials predict 56% of the state's population, approximately 25.5 million people, will be infected with COVID-19 within the next eight weeks, according to a letter Newsom sent to President Donald Trump on Thursday morning.

The governor's announcement comes after Los Angeles and Bay Area counties issued "shelter-in-place" mandates to their residents.

As of Thursday evening, there are 9 cases of positive COVID-19 with at least 100 pending test results in Santa Barbara County. California currently has 1,040 confirmed cases with 19 deaths. These numbers are expected to grow as more testing results are released.

Santa Barbara County health officials previously stated they were planning to issue a shelter in place mandate for those over 75 years of age and those 70 years of age and over with underlying health issues.

There are currently 17 confirmed cases in Ventura County, 13 in San Luis Obispo, and 230 in Los Angeles County.

The full announcement can be viewed below:

LCP112233 Mar 20, 2020 10:10 AM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

You can go to a friends house. But DONT go in and put them at risk. Stay outdoors and a distance away from each other. My friend and I go on walks, but keep our distance. It is very comforting for us to be able to do this.

a-1584734021 Mar 20, 2020 12:53 PM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

@ 8:20pm You can do whatever you want on private property. The government can’t tell people who they can invite to their home.

Potif Mar 20, 2020 07:24 PM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

You COULD pick up the virus at someone else’s home... or take it to their home if you don’t realize you or they have been exposed to it.

Kruppe Mar 19, 2020 08:31 PM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

This should be fine. I was advised by my physician to continue to be active. I usually get in my runs early in the morning when nobody is around.

biguglystick Mar 20, 2020 05:59 PM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

That is perfectly ok, Jimbo. I've been beach walking and getting fresh air and exercise. It's been lovely. Just keep the 6 ft. required distance. I've noticed a lot of younger people (mostly male) on trails NOT moving over. People, PLEASE, move over and give each other space!!!

Shasta Guy Mar 19, 2020 08:30 PM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

The order will not be enforced by law enforcement (yet), instead they are counting on social pressure. If you go out unnecessarily you’ll get a glare and and finger wagging.

Big block Mar 20, 2020 06:11 PM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

The idea of enforcing this is not really on the table. It is not realistic and cannot be done. Either the patriotic citizens co-operate, or they don't. I'm betting on the former.

Shasta Guy Mar 19, 2020 08:58 PM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

We’ve got four students here, two college + two high schoolers, all using Zoom to maintain their classes. You can try FaceTime, Skype, or Zoom to be in touch with friends. It’s going to be rough. My sister-in-law is walled off by plastic in her own house because she just evacuated out of Madrid, and she really is missing her friends. She Zooms with her family.

a-1584676910 Mar 19, 2020 09:01 PM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

Hang in there Pug! You can always go to a friends house and chat outside with proper distancing. My mom sent me this and it made me laugh: https://www.instagram.com/p/B922T-_HY3T/?igshid=h80gbr4eb4ik

sacjon Mar 20, 2020 09:10 AM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

PUG - I know we disagreed about the beach, but you really can safely go out in public in open spaces and converse with friends. You just need to be safe about it. We went and met some friends at the beach and stood in our family groups with at least 10 feet between us. We had to yell, but we still felt somewhat normal watching the waves, feeling the sand, and interacting. You can do it, but please be safe!

jemila Mar 20, 2020 09:00 PM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

Pugluv, can you skype or FaceTime your friends ? and there's Zoom, not sure how that works, it can handle several people at once I think. I worry about the folks in nursing homes being made so isolated, but I'm hoping they arrange for them to Skype with their family members/ friends & erstwhile dining companions.

a-1584677701 Mar 19, 2020 09:15 PM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

I guess I can send my missed work billing to the State to cover everything I miss.
Work continues for me, virus or not. No income, then I become homeless.... the State's problem.

a-1584678338 Mar 19, 2020 09:25 PM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

... Let me clarify a little bit. I work on computer networks. With all the "work at home" happening, I need to be sure everything is up and running for that to happen. That requires me to visit locations to program and backup data.

EastBeach Mar 20, 2020 01:22 AM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

If you work for, or contract for, one of the ISP's (e.g. Cox, Frontier, Comcast) you may fall into the critical infrastructure category (employees are required to keep working). If you're visiting companies and supporting their intranet, then you're more of an IT person and exemption may depend on what your customer does. An IT person supporting a retail store may not qualify, but someone supporting one of the critical infrastructure companies might. Click on the link in the article for more info.

Shasta Guy Mar 19, 2020 10:01 PM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

Here’s a link for enduring a lock down: *** https://www.zerohedge.com/health/home-lockdown-survival-guide-staying-healthy-sane-solvent-during-covid-19-crisis *** Being Zerohedge, the comments will make sailors blush since there appears to be no moderator.

EastBeach Mar 20, 2020 01:08 AM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

Painful but the right thing to do. If you need more convincing, look at this hospital beds analysis from Harvard Global Health Institute (enter "Santa Barbara" in the Hospital Region box because the graphs depend on where you live) ...... https://projects.propublica.org/graphics/covid-hospitals

a-1584691980 Mar 20, 2020 01:13 AM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

Full disclosure of the researchers involved in the modelling plus the underlying datasets are here ...... https://globalepidemics.org/2020/03/17/caring-for-covid-19-patients/

Jence Mar 20, 2020 01:53 AM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

The reality is that all persons over 57 years old is now my problem and my son’s problem, and his son’s problem. Thanks LSD. Thanks HepC, thanks PTSD, thanks agent O, thanks free love and smoking pot! You guys were awesome! GREAT!!!!! Good job, mom! Thanks for going to work and leaving me home!

NOT.

Lina24 Mar 20, 2020 12:07 PM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

You can thank Vietnam for all of the above. Just be glad you don't have to face a draft to certain hell like our brothers, sons, husbands, boyfriends, and schoolmates did back then. You'd probably want to escape by smoking pot, eating acid and having as much sex as you could too . And if you survived it, Agent O and PTSD would be your new normal.

Schifter Mar 20, 2020 05:59 AM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

Silver linings: no street sweeping for two weeks! Free money from the Feds April 6 and May 18 (I hope it includes me?). Now I can lie in bed all day and not feel guilty about it. Except, old man wants me to shop for him and I don't want to get him sick...so that kinda sucks. Anyway, YEAH, LET'S SUE CHINA!

Alexblue Mar 20, 2020 10:12 AM
Governor Orders Statewide Shelter in Place

Yeti, here's what is really arrogant.

Hanging out with your pals creating additional nexus points for viral transmission without giving a crap that you are putting other people's lives in danger and extending the overall timeline of this pandemic and further blowing up the economy.

I have no problem at all with house arrests for people that damage others in this fashion.

Pages