By an edhat reader

Hello local birders! I live across the street from Alameda Park (the Kid’s World / Alice Keck Park Park [sic] area), and I frequently hear loud screeches from the sky after dark. What birds are these? Are they maybe Western Screech Owls? I’ve never spotted one in the park, but I know owls are nocturnal so the chance of seeing one is low. Does anyone have some insight? Thanks!

Nature Boy Mar 02, 2020 05:59 PM
Screeching Birds at Alameda Park?

Upon further listening... BARN OWL INDEED! I hope to someday actually see one. Thanks to everyone for all your help & info!!! P.S. GO VOTE TOMORROW!!!

Minibeast Feb 29, 2020 02:42 PM
Screeching Birds at Alameda Park?

TERRAPIN FLYER: Although the call of the Spotted towhee " . . . shows great geographical variation . . ." (National Geographic Field Guide to Birds of North America), the Spotted towhees around these parts give a call that sounds like an extended trill crossed with buzzy raspiness. Pretty distinctive and not heard all year round, as these colorful towhees migrate in and out of our area. You have hit upon the call of one bird that is dear to my heart, and lately the local Spotted towhee population seems on the upswing----at least in my yard. The Spotted towhee sound is completely unlike the screech of a Barn owl. Spotted towhees hang out mostly in low shrubbery, but I have seen males sitting on a power line, calling and calling. Also: the towhees are diurnal and the owls, nocturnal. You certainly won't hear towhees flying/calling out overhead at night, unless maybe during migration.

Z Feb 29, 2020 06:39 AM
Screeching Birds at Alameda Park?

Some years ago an ace birder was demonstrating his imitation of a barn owl "call" in Mission Canyon. It must have been spot-on; dozens on stitches in his scalp to repair the damage after the "callee" responded.

yin yang Feb 29, 2020 02:06 AM
Screeching Birds at Alameda Park?

There's no better bird call source than The Cornell Lab of Ornithology. I hear a barn owl regularly, thank goodness. Is this what you heard? ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Barn_Owl/sounds ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- OH! Now I expect one on my roof at any minute! Why did I never think of this before? ;-)

yin yang Feb 29, 2020 02:19 AM
Screeching Birds at Alameda Park?

There's 7 recorded calls on this page, listen to all of them. I've heard a range of owl sounds; they've all been barn owls. I see them so rarely; I still clearly recall one flying pretty close over me when I was a little kid on my bicycle at twilight. No awareness of it til it was literally over my head -- their specialty and my special memory. I wish that would happen to me again! But it's wonderful to hear them.

Nature Boy Feb 28, 2020 09:09 PM
Screeching Birds at Alameda Park?

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! It certainly doesn’t sound like any of the Mockingbirds or Barn Owls or Screech Owls that some have posted links to. It sounds really like a sudden & shrill “SCRRReeeeEEEEEE!” that is singular and lasts about one second. Such a mystery — and I hear it like six times a night!

pstarSR Mar 01, 2020 09:42 AM
Screeching Birds at Alameda Park?

yeah,+1 for barn owl. we had one roost in a palm tree years ago on Padre st. it would SCREEEEeeeeCH at night. wait till the babies wake up. No It didnt bother me.

d8vanilla Feb 28, 2020 06:17 PM
Screeching Birds at Alameda Park?

If you google Mockingbirds , a bunch of different varieties of Mockingbirds comes up, along with video / audio of the noise they make.... https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk026nmaun7vFlMKI3bl2f7ZZduMRdQ%3A1582942540498&source=hp&ei=TMlZXq79Gpix0PEPuvuxgAI&q=mockingbirds&oq=mockingbirds&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i131j0l7j0i10j0.1053.8161..10218...1.0..0.109.1234.2j10......0....1..gws-wiz.......35i39.ArnKu8wI_jk&ved=0ahUKEwiu08q-2PXnAhWYGDQIHbp9DCAQ4dUDCAg&uact=5

d8vanilla Feb 28, 2020 06:15 PM
Screeching Birds at Alameda Park?

Mockingbird make lot's of noises when they are nesting.... all night long. I used to live in that area, and the house behind me did bird rescue, and she had some Mockingbirds one year, that made noises all night long....

Artemisia Feb 28, 2020 03:18 PM
Screeching Birds at Alameda Park?

Screech Owls are misnamed -- the local Western Screech Owl in our neighborhood only makes a lovely soft twittering sound. That's probably not what is calling in Alameda Park.

Minibeast Feb 28, 2020 01:34 PM
Screeching Birds at Alameda Park?

Sound anything like this?------ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTXIfS8kyKM-------We hear them on Upper East/Lower Riviera. Sometimes can even spot one flying overhead.

tagdes Feb 28, 2020 03:03 PM
Screeching Birds at Alameda Park?

That is an almost perfect phonetic text for a barn owl which is also the only owl posted at that location in the last few months.

yin yang Feb 29, 2020 02:13 AM
Screeching Birds at Alameda Park?

They sound like crows to me, except for the 1962 Florida recording. --------------------------- https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black-crowned_Night-Heron/sounds

Minibeast Feb 28, 2020 05:00 PM
Screeching Birds at Alameda Park?

Black-crowned Night herons sound nothing like Barn owls. Call of the Night heron is deeper, more raspy. Go to Breakwater just on sunset and hear them call as they fly past, nearly always heading west. Plus I doubt Night herons hang around Alice Keck Park Park, even though there is a pond there.

Snorky Feb 28, 2020 01:42 PM
Screeching Birds at Alameda Park?

True Nostrachumash, but based on location, I would guess Barn owl (although black-crowned night herons can be there too). Good call out. Hope Nature Boy can determine better with info provided.

Snorky Feb 28, 2020 01:14 PM
Screeching Birds at Alameda Park?

I will guess it is a barn owl. Try https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/ They have some "calls" recorded. Natural rodent killers...yeah!