Termite Help?

We have a termite problem in our single family house. It looks like a tent job from past experiences. Any recommendations? Tips, hints, or alerts?

Referral Category:

JustAguy Mar 16, 2020 08:19 PM
Termite Help?

Don’t go to “Vamanos Pest”. I used those guys once and the whole house smelled like chemicals for months!

JustAguy Mar 16, 2020 08:10 PM

Don’t go

Gobbledygook Feb 28, 2020 12:51 PM
Termite Help?

Lenz did our house several years ago and was fine to work with. They sub out the actual tenting and gassing. We have an asphalt shingle roof with a low slope so that was easy; I've heard steep roofs and tile roofs can be trickier. We found one set of muddy footprints leading from the door to our toilet, so that was dumb. I suppose one guy snuck back in after they'd finished. We'd forgotten to clear the drawer where we keep pasta and rice, but we found the contents bagged on the kitchen counter. We lost a foundation planting of herbs, but all the larger shrubs came through fine with no damage at all. By the way you are not obligated to use your termite company to repair damage; you can do it yourself or hire anyone else or ignore it. Main thing I'd alert you to is the probability you will be intensely invaded by ants for a week or so afterwards. We had columns of them going up our walls, not interested in our food but in getting to the attic to eat the dead termites! The ants will disappear once their feast is consumed. Since ants are a beneficial insect I was glad to see them survive the tenting, though it took some effort to not freak at the intensity of their brief invasion, and we did have to kill quite a few who ended up in the wrong places.

paglinsb Feb 28, 2020 07:03 AM
Termite Help?

Give Lenz Pest Control a call. I am confident working with them.

paglinsb Feb 28, 2020 07:24 AM
Termite Help?

I meant to add that I had the house tented about 15 years ago when the house was riddled with termitese. Had to replace a couple of beams! Escalera did the job, and I was happy with their work. Recently I was concerned when I saw little droppings that I thought were termites'. I called Lenz because I have been working with them on other pest control issues over the years. The fellow came over for a casual inspection (no charge) and said they were ants. But, because it had been so long, I asked for a full inspection. (That costs money) This is when they climb up under the eves and really look carefully everywhere, including providing a schematic drawing. He found no signs of termites, but saw what he thought was old droppings from long ago. He put down something that would show any recent activity, and said he'd come back in 2 weeks to see if anything. All was OK. Clearly the Escalera work was effective, and I liked working with them. I would be comfortable working with either Lenz or Escalera.

ScottDeVries Feb 27, 2020 08:33 PM
Termite Help?

The do-it-yourself remedy I have found to be the most effective does involve orange oil. But let me explain that spraying it around like a firehose doesn't work. If you find those telltale traces of termite activity on the floor (it's called "frass", a mixture of sawdust and droppings, and looks like salt-and-pepper), look directly above the frass and find the microscopic hole it came from. You'll need good light and even better eyesight, but it's vital you locate it. Next, fill a syringe with orange oil and squirt it inside. The orange oil is poisonous to termites and their larvae, but non-polluting, pet-safe, environmentally correct and yes, it smells good. But a bucketful won't penetrate the wood, which is why I emphasize it must be squirted inside, and repeatedly squirted, until it starts dripping out, so it can soak in deep inside the wood and do its job. It's cheap and readily available at Ace Hardware: and the syringes - well, I got strange looks when I tried buying them at CVS, so I ordered mine from Amazon. They come equipped with blunt-tipped needles, not hypodermics, so you can't possibly stick yourself with them. After a while you will come to recognize these tiny holes and how their frequency can indicate where the termite colony is located. You will also realize that tenting your home and filling the house with gas isn't always effective, since the gas won't always find its way into those tiny holes and fill all the little air pockets inside. This hunt-and-squirt technique can save you thousands of dollars - not to mention save your home.

Minibeast Feb 28, 2020 11:40 AM
Termite Help?

I rescind my Termite Prufe recommendation. Orange oil sounds much safer and enviro. Def gonna try that next time we spot frass/termite activity. Thank you.

a-1585760651 Feb 28, 2020 11:35 AM
Termite Help?

This method sounds really good, BUT how does the orange oil soak if the termites came from the top down or even sideways?

Lucky 777 Feb 27, 2020 03:31 PM
Termite Help?

Escalera gets my two thumbs down also. I tented my newly purchased house 21 years ago with them, and an employee walked on an aluminum patio roof and went crashing through it. Photos showed clear sneaker-bottom skid marks. Destroyed the roof. Stonewalled my insurance, saying it rained while the house was tented and collected water "act of God" dented the roof panels. Lies, lies.

Minibeast Feb 27, 2020 02:28 PM
Termite Help?

If you're seeing the little "beads" of termite poop and can spot termite activity in certain areas, you can spray with a product called "Termite Prufe." This is used only for localized areas. Do not use near any water source.******************* The active ingredient, disodium octaborate tetrahydrate, is scary-sounding but is one of the more benign substances to treat insects, fungi and algae. It is non-carcinogenic and has low toxicity to people and pets,

a-1585760651 Feb 27, 2020 02:52 PM
Termite Help?

Home Improvement Center has a number of do-it-yourself options for localized areas. Borax is another non-toxic solution - plenty of Youtube demos about treating and repairing local infestations. But full tenting sometimes is the only and best answer. You are talking a few thousand dollars and a fairly reasonable preparation and dislocation hassle. Don't forget the rash of burglaries committed while a house was tented and unattended a few years back - so be sure to remove all valuables. In this area, best to always keep cash in reserve as this can become part of routine home maintenance unless you have redwood or cedar framing. Had good luck with O'Conner Termite locally, but I think they all farm out the actual tenting work to LA outfits. If they find damage, there will be plenty of proof of damage. Again, good to educate yourself up front with the array of hands on youtube videos now available.

a-1585760651 Feb 27, 2020 01:03 PM
Termite Help?

Keep in mind that these companies make their money by repairing the termite damage....and they WILL find damage!!!

a-1585760651 Feb 27, 2020 12:42 PM
Termite Help?

I would also highly recommend skipping the companies that want to does your house with orange oil & also use the electric probes touched to the various wood sections of the home. If you wish to smell oranges for the next 6-9 months, then fine on the first one. Read & get lots of reviews!

a-1585760651 Feb 27, 2020 12:25 PM
Termite Help?

Two thumbs down on Escalera Pest Control.