Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways title=

Source: City of Santa Barbara

When left on the ground, dog litter can wash untreated into storm drains, which flow directly into creeks and the ocean. This can pass on bacteria, parasites, and viruses and is harmful to creek and ocean water quality.

SBLetsGetAlong Feb 27, 2020 07:37 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Cigarette smokers and most dog walkers are not very considerate. Just as transients are bad house guests, so are smokers and pet owners. Just rude to not puck up after your dog,. Smokers liter, pollute, every time they toss a butt on the ground. Why is this world filled with people who don’t care about others. The sad part, in this town especially, most of these polluters are “environmental” “green” advocates. Hypocrites. Only when it suits them.

biguglystick Feb 26, 2020 01:10 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

I'll never understand the mind of a person who purposefully leaves their dog's poop behind. It just doesn't compute! Someone never taught them basic manners 101. Seriously wrong.

PitMix Feb 27, 2020 09:03 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Even worse to me are the people that take the time to collect the poop in a bag, and then leave the bag behind or throw it under my hedge! They've already done the hard work, carrying it back to their trash can seems like the easy part!

mattyboy Feb 26, 2020 04:45 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

I've found there are a lot of people who were not adequately shamed as a child. The kind of people who leave their dog crap on other peoples' or public property, those who mess all over public or business toilet seats, those who hold up traffic because they wait til the last second to merge, etc

letmego Feb 26, 2020 03:40 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Some people quite literally let their dogs off leash to run and do their business. They leave it because they don't know (which yes, is irresponsible).

a-1585846183 Feb 26, 2020 09:16 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Remember when the city decided to do something about cigarette butt litter on our sidewalks, streets, beaches, and parks? They didn't bother exhorting people to do the right thing. They simply banned cigarette smoking in public. Problem solved.

a-1585846183 Feb 25, 2020 05:45 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

What about outlawing bird dung and bat droppings? Both of these can contain serious diseases such as histoplasmosis, cryptococcosis, multiple parasites.

Luvaduck Feb 26, 2020 06:39 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

The sheer quantity of dog poop is magnitudes more b/c people have so many of that pet category and they are much larger.

oops Feb 25, 2020 03:09 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

I'm sure one of our worthless politicians is on the verge of introducing a bill or ordinance against this practice- what good for the straw is good for the dog poop!!

a-1585846183 Feb 25, 2020 02:46 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

With out a shred of embarrassment, the city wastes our tax dollars warning us about dog poop getting in the water ways when our number one problem in this city is human poop getting dropped all over town, including into our waterways. Does anyone at City Hall even have a clue how stupid and insulting this dog poop PSA ad sounds? We badly need new city council members who get their priorities screwed on right.

PitMix Feb 26, 2020 08:59 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Luvaduck, don't bother with rational comments because you are responding to irrational ones. They are not looking for a solution.

a-1585846183 Feb 26, 2020 08:12 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

8:53. Good to learn the city at the same time will be issuing a anti-vagrancy camp PSA's and implementing their vagrancy camp clean out program, in order to prevent further pollution of our streams, creeks and ocean. When should we expect to see the city's anti-vagrancy camp PSA's show up on the local media? Vagrants must be held as accountable as dog owners, for the same fecal messes they intentionally leave behind.

a-1585846183 Feb 26, 2020 09:14 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Time for the city to eliminate their video production department, since they are now reduced to make-work activity. Please put a dollar amount on the staff personnel time and equipment that went into this recent dog poop PSA. What feedback monitoring is in place, to judge its effectiveness? A little more transparency, please.

a-1585846183 Feb 25, 2020 08:53 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

The city can work on more than one problem at a time. A PSA asking people to keep their dogs’ poop out of creeks and oceans doesn’t use up many resources.

Lucky 777 Feb 25, 2020 02:19 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

I leave an open trash can next to my mailbox in front of my house. To reward the people who do pick up their dogs' poop as they walk them. So they won't have to carry it so far. Make the right thing easy. Dogs are wonderful.

Yeti Feb 25, 2020 02:00 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Face it, some people are just absolute SLOBS! Dog crap, cigarette buts, candy wrappers, chewing gum pressed into sidewalks near bus benches..etc. ...etc They feel entitled and will continue to do it. Best bet is to verbally abuse them in person when you see a slob in action. Maybe a little rotten fruit in their face may help with the attitude adjustment.

a-1585846183 Feb 26, 2020 08:16 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

oh my. We all know this. I happen to agree in general -- that people are unhappy. I often am. But I don't let this belief control or direct my life! Not all bad behavior can be attributed to malice and bad character. BE NICE, BE KIND. EVERYONE IS WAGING SOME KIND OF INTERNAL BATTLE. Everyone has problems! I always ask someone near me if I can return their cart, as I'm going shopping or returning mine. And any other little act of kindness, including a fleeting hello or compliment, really does affect the world -- your compatriots in it. Dogs too! Dogs are greater carriers of this kindness than humans, as people who wouldn't stop for a smile or word will stop for a pet. I ask about every dog walker I see if I can meet their dog, and thank them for my "dose of dog"!

Luvaduck Feb 26, 2020 06:47 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

I've sometimes made eye-contact and "offered" to return the cart for them and done so w/o other conversation. I'm hoping that makes the point considering I'm not young.

Luvaduck Feb 26, 2020 06:45 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

If only! Unless you're a buff, scary-looking young man, it's more likely to get you verbally abused or punched. People who do such things don't think there's anything wrong with it and are often angry at the world and acting out.

Minibeast Feb 25, 2020 03:53 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

YETI: Not too long ago, I watched a woman unload her groceries into her car and then roll her empty shopping cart into a parking space nearby. The cart "retrieval" area was perhaps 20 steps distant, each way, from her vehicle. As she turned to get into her car, I walked past her, carrying my groceries to my vehicle. We made eye contact. This is what I said: "Huh. I'm glad I saw you do that. I was always curious to know what kind of people think it's okay to leave their shopping carts blocking a parking space." She had the decency to look somewhat abashed. Do you think she was cured of her inconsiderate behavior? She didn't look at all physically disabled, but I guess you never know. In all likelihood that extra 40 steps was just too inconvenient.

mattyboy Feb 25, 2020 01:36 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Santa Barbara dog owners are. the. worst. Here's an idea - if you can't afford a yard to let your dog crap in, don't own a dog. Don't take your dog to public parks and park strips along the street and let it crap where people walk and children play. Seriously wtf? Even if you pick it up, which so many people don't, you leave a nasty s#!7 smear most of the time.

a-1585846183 Feb 26, 2020 07:58 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

If someone bags their dog's waste immediately, the smell will affect no one else. I too tell my neighborhood's dog walkers they can use my trash can if they don't want to carry the bag. It's used only once or twice a month. Please PLEASE just step up and DO THE RIGHT THING! I don't own a dog or outside cat and my front yard often reeks of poop. Some good rainfall may cure that, but that's not going to happen this year, we're pretty sure, and I spend my water on my fruit trees. Just be a good dog owner and citizen! Who the eff argues about who supplies the bags! I too have left a box of bags on my street.

mattyboy Feb 26, 2020 04:49 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

LETMEGO - that's like saying you like smoking outside your neighbor's house because you don't like the rank stench wafting into your house. It's inconsiderate BS. What your dog "likes" should not impose nastiness on other people.

letmego Feb 26, 2020 10:30 AM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

my dog prefers to poo on walks, not in my backyard. I can afford a backyard. The worse dog owners are the ones who don't pick up or let their dogs off leash so they can attack people. And then ignore you when you tell them to control their dog!

mattyboy Feb 25, 2020 04:28 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

SACJON - of course, that's why I said Santa Barbara dog owners, not poor Santa Barbara dog owners. I also cannot afford a place with a dog friendly yard, so guess what? I don't have a dog. I don't hate dogs. I hate dog people who let their dogs crap in public spaces. They are rude and inconsiderate people.

Minibeast Feb 25, 2020 04:16 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

MATTYBOY. Proclaiming yourself a posterboy for the dog averse? There's a pet blog which says it better than I and here is one part I think may relate to you. (At least I *hope* yours may not be a character defect.): " . . . what makes for animal unfriendliness is not necessarily a defect of character. Rather, it’s the unfortunate combination of culture, upbringing, and experience that steers people in a pet averse direction." https://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2009/october/whats-people-who-dont-pets-6919

PitMix Feb 25, 2020 02:49 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

I sorry it offends your sensibilities, but I've never heard of anyone in SB getting sick from this, even from stuff left behind. So it is not something I worry too much about. But I would encourage dog owners, dogs, and homeless to be responsible about their waste. And if it really bothers you, I fully support your efforts to do some constructive to address the problem.

sacjon Feb 25, 2020 01:43 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Mattyboy - I hate to poo on your whole "screw the poor" party, but people without yards aren't the only ones taking their dogs on walks and to the beach. Nice try though!

CoastWatch Feb 25, 2020 01:23 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

I'd like to see testing of the Creek waters outfalls for Arroyo, Sycamore and Mission Creeks for HUMAN feces.... Santa Barbara Paradise, just don't go near the creek outfalls and the beaches.

a-1585846183 Feb 25, 2020 01:39 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

SACJON - helpful, but coliform bacteria is found in all types of animal feces. Determining the animal of origin (human or canine) requires further testing.

sacjon Feb 25, 2020 01:29 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

COASTWATCH - Here you go: https://countyofsb.org/uploadedFiles/phd/PROGRAMS/EHS/Ocean%20Water%20Weekly%20Results.pdf -------- pretty easy to find. Odd that you are a "Coast watcher" yet you didn't know about this. Enjoy!

420722 Feb 25, 2020 12:27 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

I pick up my own dogs crap and sometimes leftovers from the bad owners. You’re welcome. However, if I catch you in the act I will make you remember me.

Minibeast Feb 25, 2020 04:22 PM
Don't Let Dog Litter Flow Into Waterways

Please be gentle with them. Do what I do. Carry your "idiot" bags and offer the person(s) a poop bag or two. I once shouted down a couple from over 30 yards away. They had no intention of picking up after their large dog. They didn't have any bags. (Ahem.) We ended up walking a long way together and had a wonderful, interesting talk. More with sugar than vinegar.

Pages