Apply for a City of Goleta Board or Commission

Apply for a City of Goleta Board or Commission
Reads 851

Source: City of Goleta

The City of Goleta is looking for some outstanding community members who want to make a difference by serving on a Board or Commission in the new year. The City has vacancies on the Planning Commission, Design Review Board, Parks and Recreation Commission, and Public Tree Advisory Commission.Applications are available here and are due on January 4, 2021.

There is no better way to get to know your City and help shape its future than by serving on a Board or Commission. City Clerk Deborah Lopez said, “Being on a Board or Commission is a great way to make a difference in our City. You also gain insight into how local government works. If you are interested in serving your community, then I encourage you to apply for one of our vacancies.”

Public Engagement Commissioner and long-time Goleta resident Sylvia Uribe said she would encourage others to get involved in this way. She said, “It feels good to give back and it’s a great example to your family, friends and neighbors.”

There is a lot going on in the City of Goleta and now is an exciting time to get involved. There are several vacancies and opportunities to serve depending on your interests/skills:

The Planning Commission consists of five members who each serve a four-year term. The Planning Commission sits as a decision-making body on land use issues for the City. Their role is to review and take appropriate action on discretionary development applications and to make recommendations to the City Council regarding any proposed legislative actions, including the General Plan and its implementation, as required by law. The Planning Commission meets on the second and fourth Mondays of each month starting at 6:00 p.m. Compensation is $100 per meeting. There will be four vacancies (two members will be re-applying, but the application process is open to all). To be eligible, applicants must reside within City limits and be a qualified elector.

Community members with an eye for design may be interested in applying for the Design Review Board (DRB). This seven-member body encourages development that uses the best professional design practices to enhance the visual aesthetics of the community and prevent poor quality of design. Vacancies will be for one (1) Licensed Architect, two (2) At-Large Members (must reside within City Limits), and one (1) at-Large Member. Of the four vacancies, three of the current members will be re-applying, but anyone in the community is invited to apply. Members are appointed to a three-year term. The DRB meets the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month at 3:00 p.m., and the position is compensated $50 per meeting.

Residents who spend time in the City’s parks and open space may be interested in our Parks and Recreation Commission. This seven-member Commission advises the City Council on all issues related to parks and recreational opportunities in Goleta. There will be three vacancies (two current members will be re-applying). All applicants must reside within City limits. The Parks and Recreation Commission meets every two months on the first Wednesday of every even month. Commissioners are compensated at the rate of $50 per meeting.

The Public Tree Advisory Commission provides advice to staff and the City Council in developing plans and goals for the Goleta Urban Forest, represents the interests of the community, and informs the community of the Urban Forestry program as directed by the City Council. There will be two vacancies (two current members will be re-applying). Eligible applicants must live within the City of Goleta. The Commission holds six regular meetings per year and may hold additional meetings as necessary.

Put your skills to use in the community and apply today at! If you have any questions, email

Please Login or Register to comment on this.