more articles like this
A Resolution-Worthy Salad
updated: Jan 08, 2011, 8:30 AM
By Leah Etling
This adapted version of salad Nicoise is perfect for those week-old resolutions you made to eat healthier this year. (How are those coming, anyway?)
I first had this salad at one of my favorite restaurants in San Luis Obispo, the Big Sky Café. Paired with a chilled glass of Daniel Gehrs Chenin Blanc, I can think of few better ways to end a long workday.
Traditional Nicoise is served with tuna and anchovy as the fish accompaniment. I made mine with grilled wild salmon, a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids. (Fat? Acid? Good for you? Amazing.)
You can adjust the ingredients to suit your refrigerator or personal preference, and the options are just about endless. Be sure to share the combinations you put together in the comments section so we can all benefit from your delicious creativity.
Potential Salad Ingredient List:
• Base - Baby spring greens, romaine, or spinach, coarsely shredded.
• Fish - Grilled tuna or salmon. Can be served warm or cold.
• Accompaniments -
• Hard-boiled egg
• Kalamata olives
• Crumbled blue or feta cheese
• Baby tomatoes
• Grilled asparagus
• Boiled green beans
• Baby new potatoes, boiled and dressed in olive oil, chopped fresh rosemary, and fresh ground salt and pepper. Can be served warm or cold.
Rosemary vinaigrette. Drew's is an excellent store-bought choice, or you can make your own. Salad dressing recipe:
• 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
• 1/4 cup honey
• 2 garlic cloves
• 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
• 1/4 medium-size red onion
• 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• Freshly ground pepper to taste
• 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Process balsamic vinegar and next 7 ingredients in a blender or food processor. Gradually add olive oil and process until smooth.
3 comments on this article. Read/Add
# # # #