Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 48.2°F | Humidity: 99% | Pressure: 30.22in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send items of interest to ed@edhat.com

17874 Subscribers

Buy Edhat Hats
Buy Edhat Hats

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Walking Stick
updated: Mar 17, 2017, 4:38 PM

By Amanda Frost

What a treat! I have a Walkingstick (order phasmida), perhaps the family diapheromidae, genus and species Manomera blatchleyi. Entomologists, is that right?

# # # #

# # # #

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 764154 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-17 05:08 PM

Ok, I expected to see a hiking trail, with a perfectly shaped oak branch or the beach and some driftwood-haha! That is awesome! Thanks for sharing-they are interesting insects.

COMMENT 764156P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-17 05:17 PM

Yay! I love walking sticks. In all the years I've been here, I've seen a handful of them in Painted Cave, but they were so tiny, they looked like a strand of fiber.

OLD.AUNT agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-17 05:50 PM

Very cool. Thank you.

COMMENT 764163 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-17 05:51 PM

How Cool!

COMMENT 764174P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-17 06:14 PM

Decades ago, when looking for an apartment in IV, back before political correctness, and when you could get an honest assessment... A campus listing for an Abrego apartment began with, "Entomologists, take note..." The truth in advertising amuses me to this day.

COMMENT 764188 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-17 07:05 PM

They will devour your landscape plants.

COMMENT 764220P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-17 09:04 PM

Way cool. I, too, have only ever seen a much tinier one. OP, you must have a nice, healthy garden. Yay for not using pesticides.

COMMENT 764226P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-17 10:59 PM

Carausius morosus is the Indian stick insect. Considered invasive; first reported in La Jolla, CA back in 2001.

I am no entomologist, but it seems that some walking sticks aren't all that desirable hereabouts. The Indian ones eat a lot of plants: roses, raspberries, pyracantha, ivy.

***That said, I still think they're pretty darned neat.***

(I wish they'd come eat my neighbor's ivy.)

COMMENT 764272P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-18 08:47 AM

Do elementary schools still raise walking sticks as science/nature projects?? Do we have a native walking stik around here?

PII agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-18 09:15 AM

From the Insects of Los Angeles Basin, by Hogue: " We have only three main types locally."
They are hard to maintain in cages because of picky diets.

COMMENT 764288 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-18 10:17 AM

One was happily munching away on my dracaena marginata until it met its demise. My goldfish plant was stripped of its leaves before I figured out there were 3 residing in it. It is once again lush and blooming.

COMMENT 764291P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-18 10:23 AM

Woe be to any critters you deem unworthy to grace your garden.

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-18 07:02 PM

154, I thought exactly you did. Critters unworthy? Was 288 supposed to just say good-bye to her lovely goldfish bush? I have an organic garden but definitely pick off bugs decimating a plant (except on my milkweeds).

69% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.