Linden and Casitas Pass Updates
updated: Mar 17, 2017, 1:26 PM
By SB Roads
Timeframe: March 19 - 25, 2017
Recent Progress: Pile testing is complete and crews will dismantle and remove the equipment from the Linden Avenue area. Crews have completed the temporary sidewalk at Linden Avenue and Pacific Village Drive that will be used as a temporary pedestrian detour into 2018.
**Please note the schedule below is weather dependent.**
- The northbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Linden Avenue will be closed from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm and from 8:00 pm to 5:00 am weekdays as needed for pile testing equipment removal.
- Linden Avenue will have reversing traffic control as needed for nighttime safety barrier placement near the freeway between 6:00 pm and 5:00 am on March 19th and 20th.
- Cox Communications will be working at night on March 22nd from 10:00 pm to noon on March 23rd by Ogan, Vallecito, and Casitas Pass Roads to connect new cable lines around the construction area. Flagmen will be in the area as needed, though most of the work will be on power poles.
Casitas Pass Road
- The southbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Casitas Pass Road will close as needed weekdays from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm and from 8:00 pm to 5:00 am to prepare the area for new bridge supports.
- Casitas Pass Road will have reversing traffic control as needed for nighttime safety barrier placement near the freeway between 6:00 pm and 5:00 am on March 19th and 20th.
- Crews will clear vegetation near the freeway overcrossing in preparation for the new bridge construction and in the area for the new Via Real connection.
- Crews will also begin excavation for the new bridge supports.
- The end of Via Real has been closed between the Carpinteria Creek bike path and Via El Rincon for vegetation removal and drainage improvements in preparation for the Via Real connection. The bike path will remain open during this work, but will be closed later in the spring to enable bridge construction. During the bike path closure, a temporary shuttle service will be available.
- Work will continue on drainage improvements.
- Crews will place concrete safety barrier on Highway 101 at night on March 19th and 20th. There will be alternating northbound and southbound Highway 101 lane and ramp closures as needed from south of Carpinteria Creek to north of Linden Avenue beginning at 8:00 pm. Northbound Highway 101 lanes and ramps will reopen by5:00 am, and southbound Highway 101 lanes and ramps will reopen by 7:00 am. There will also be some short term daytime ramp closures as needed for additional safety barrier placement.
- Crews will continue clearing the shoulder areas between Franklin Creek and Carpinteria Creek to prepare for upcoming sound wall construction, drainage improvements, and a new bridge over Carpinteria Creek. This includes the area behind Nipomo Drive that abuts the freeway.
- Crews will relocate dirt from around the construction site and move it to areas near Carpinteria Creek in preparation for the new bridges.
- Drainage improvements are ongoing in the median and shoulder areas.
Upcoming Work: March/April
Casitas Pass Road
- Crews will begin demolition of the overcrossing barrier in preparation for the new bridge construction.
- The southbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Casitas Pass will close for up to 2 weeks for ramp and shoulder improvements.
- Crews will relocate dirt to fill embankments for the new overcrossing.
- Drainage improvements will begin.
- Crews will begin work on the retaining wall near the corner of Linden Avenue and Ogan Road to prepare for sidewalk and roadway improvements.
- Near the end of March/beginning of April, crews will replace damaged concrete panels on Highway 101 northbound and southbound lanes and ramps at night. The existing panels are degraded due to weather. The replacement will also reduce some traffic noise.
- Shoring piles will be installed for Stage 2 bridges at Carpinteria Creek. These piles will create the work areas needed for construction.
- Drainage work is ongoing.
About Hwy 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project
The Hwy 101: Linden & Casitas Pass project will improve local circulation and freeway access in Carpinteria. The highway interchanges at Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road will be updated with new bridges and freeway ramps. Via Real will be connected across Carpinteria Creek through a new roundabout up to Linden Avenue. New bridges will be built over Carpinteria Creek on Hwy 101 and Via Real, and four new sound walls will be built to reduce freeway noise in nearby neighborhoods. Bike and pedestrian improvements will be added along Via Real, connected along Carpinteria Creek, and on the bridges over Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road.
Construction will occur from fall 2016 through 2020. Highway 101 will have 2 lanes open in each direction and local roads will remain open during daytime construction. There will be nighttime closures as needed. Highway 101 will have nighttime closures to allow for safety barrier placement and to prepare for bridge construction and demolition. Linden Avenue will be closed over Hwy 101 for approximately 3 weeks in 2018. New roads, bridges, ramps, and bikeways open in 2018, 2019, and 2020.
This project is the third phase of widening Highway 101 between Santa Barbara and Mussel Shoals. Eight of the 16 miles in this area have already been widened to include three lanes in each direction.
The Highway 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project is a $60 million construction project funded by state and federal taxes. This project is a partnership between Caltrans, the Santa Barbara County Association of Governments, and the City of Carpinteria.
For more information, please visit our project website at www.SBROADS.com, call us at 805.845.5112, or email the project at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Caltrans District 5 Planned Lane Closure website:
Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)