Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 48.2°F | Humidity: 99% | Pressure: 30.22in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send items of interest to ed@edhat.com

17874 Subscribers

Buy Edhat Hats

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Cox Internet Speed Issues
updated: Mar 15, 2017, 10:24 AM

By Edhat Subscriber

Cox Internet Speed Issue - West Side-Specifically Bel Air Knolls: Is anyone in this area having an issue with Cox Internet speed (not Cox Cable TV)?

At or around 4:30 PM yesterday, we started to experience errors viewing Netflix and PBS with our AppleTV. We did a restart of the AppleTV and were finally able to get partially into the PBS app menus. But as of 5:15 PM, everything related to Cox Internet, is slow. I did a "Speed" test on the signal and that shows 0mbs speed.

Just wondering if perhaps anyone else is experiencing a slowdown issue with Cox Internet?

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 763559 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 10:28 AM

yup..been having same issues...slow..unable to watch netflix for as long as two days ata time...

COMMENT 763560P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 10:29 AM

I was also having internet issues at that exact same time yesterday, but then again I've been on the phone with Cox for 3 days straight trying to iron out issues after they messed up my account.

Seriously considering cancelling or another provider all together.

COMMENT 763562 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 10:34 AM

Only problem lately was when I opened my new bill yesterday and found it much higher than the month before.

Plenty of explanation accompanied the bill, blah, blah, blah...

COMMENT 763565P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 10:40 AM

Cox sux, but its the only option for internet as far as I know. It's a miserable and awful company, but it's the only game in town.

COMMENT 763569 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 10:55 AM

Just cox being cox

COMMENT 763570P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 10:56 AM

Short answer YES! Long answer, Netflix and Amazon would not stream to my TV but would to my iPad (wirelessly) starting around 4pm last evening. After numerous router reboots and TV resets I got it to work around 7:30 pm last night. I chalked it up the Stella (the snow storm hitting the northeast). Maybe it was or wasn't caused by Stella and I doubt we'll ever be told....

COMMENT 763573P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 11:07 AM

Good site to check (IF you have internet service of course):

Look at that 4pm spike last night.....

COMMENT 763576 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 11:10 AM

Luckily @ Elsueno no.

COMMENT 763578 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 11:14 AM

Cox experienced a DNS issue and could not connect anything hosted on AWS US-East.

COMMENT 763580P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 11:21 AM

We watched a show via Netflix last night and we're on the Mesa, so I guess we were okay. However, we routinely have speed issues in the evenings, probably when many others are watching shows as well. It's very frustrating. I do wish Cox was more helpful and would quit raising their price!

COMMENT 763582 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 11:22 AM

Really some citizen's group should make a concerted effort to get the City to provide alternatives to Cox. Anyone want to work on this with me? Or just complain about it on Edhat for the next century?

COMMENT 763585 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 11:32 AM

One of my favorite things about not living in SB anymore, is no longer dealing with Cox. I have Time Warner for internet now, it's cheaper and the speed/quality is superior.

COMMENT 763594P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 12:48 PM

@582 There should be municipal broadband from Carpinteria through northern Goleta. If you get something going, please post about it on Edhat.

COMMENT 763596 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 12:51 PM

I've had it up to here with Cox.
I'd like to suggest that they automatically, proactively provide financial credit for time down/slowed to the point of unusability. That would make a big dent in my overpriced bill.

COMMENT 763598 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 01:16 PM

I too was hoping for another provider to come in and after asking around (employees of other providers and Cox) I learned that many, many years ago Cox put all the infrastructure in. For any other company to come in and do the same would be an uphill battle with red tape and the exorbitant amount of $ it would cost is just not worth it them. We recently upgraded our internet speed thru Cox (increasing our rates to an arm and a leg), but the speed to be able to watch Netflix with no problems has been worth it

COMMENT 763602P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 01:30 PM

578, Thank you. Where did you obtain that update? And was it Stella related? If so AWS still has issues to resolve.

COMMENT 763608 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 02:12 PM

Yes! For the past two days tried to to stream Netflix, but it was very slow to load, and the picture completely degraded after the first two or three seconds. I rented a movie from iTunes and it repeatedly said the film would take 22.5 hours to load. Obviously, the film is as yet unwatched.

COMMENT 763612 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 02:28 PM

Other than the fact that they charge ridiculously high rates, taking advantage of a monopoly? Yes, they're coverage is always slow, particularly on weekends.

COMMENT 763615 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 02:39 PM

@602P

I work in IT. I had to VPN to get around the connection issue.

COMMENT 763619 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 03:01 PM

Yesterday I called the "Solutions" store at Loreto Plaza. No answer. I contacted the "Live Chat" and typed my question, using single-syllable, simple words. The guy's "solution" was to call the Loreto store. Of course it was. His "solution" #2 was for me to call a temporary store (?) on upper State. That # had been disconnected. His "solution" #3 was to visit the store in Palos Verdes. In retrospect, that would have been quicker. I tried the Loreto store again. Voicemail. When I pressed 1 "for technical support" I got a fast busy signal before it disconnected. Awesome.

COMMENT 763621 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 03:09 PM

@619 I understand your frustration but I have 3 support #s for Cox. All 3 were busy. The outage yesterday was massive.

COMMENT 763632 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 03:41 PM

Unfortunately it is better to stay with Cox. You can thank our city government for giving them the monopoly. We switched to Verizon(now Frontier).This company is absolutely terrible. They bought Verizon's landline service. I have had problems with overcharging. They wanted money up front before adjusting the bill. Meanwhile they turned off the phone. I have literally made over 50 phones calls to rectify this. I have actually waited an hour and 45 minutes one time for them to try to fix the problem. Don't believe anything they say. Constantly lying. When you call the customer no service line,it says calls maybe recorded. I told a supervisor that I am hearing impaired and I needed to record our conversation. He immediately hung up. I have had a tech person out at the house 3 times. The static on the landline makes it almost un-useable. I think it's time Santa Barbara woke up and said: "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any longer!"

COMMENT 763637P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 03:45 PM

YES! I live on the Westside and have Cox internet only. I have been experiencing intermittent outages for the past week or two. So annoying!

COMMENT 763642 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 03:58 PM

I have spoken with a City Council member about Cox's new "surcharges" which is a new way to get $10 a month from any TV viewers who have the Expanded cable stations or more. He said it was taken out of their hands years ago by a Federal ruling. Cox's monopoly and their fees are approved by the State PUC not the City Council. He said the City has nothing to do with it anymore. But they did in the past.
So other than cutting the cord, we have no choices....and nowhere to fight it unless you think you can win a battle w/ a Sacto committee. I guess you could ask Hannah Beth Jackson to look into it.

CATCHER.RYE-22 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 04:06 PM

You might want to check out EarthLink internet service. Ask for Reed Slatkin. I got a great package deal through him.

COMMENT 763650 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 04:30 PM

Cox was definitely having issues yesterday. About 1/4 of the sites I was trying to reach were unreachable at some point yesterday. They seemed to have resolved the issue by late evening. This impacted Cox customers in the western US, not just SB. Look at @coxhelp on twitter to get an idea of outages or downdetector that someone else suggested

COMMENT 763651 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 04:39 PM

Way to many issues with Cox internet in San Roque, and I even paid for the upgraded speeds because I thought that would solve the problem.

915FILMS agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 04:43 PM

CATCHER.RYE is trolling

Reed Slatkin is not only dead (6/23/15), he was a co-founder of Earthlink who was convicted of one of the largest Ponzi schemes in the United States. He pleaded guilty in ‘03 and sentenced to 14 years in Federal prison.

COMMENT 763692P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 06:17 PM

thanks for clarifying, 915. I was lazy.
No issues in 93105. Hope it was due to Stella, at least you have a reason.

COMMENT 763706P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-15 07:43 PM

COX is having issues again this evening.

COMMENT 763725 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-16 06:31 AM

Now I know I will never live in Santa BarbaraI A nice young man approached me in a not to be named big box store yesterday selling the features of cox cable in my area. Had I read this discussion, before shopping, of the horrors of the company he would have gotten an earful. I told him that those in my area that do have Cox have never been happy with its service and I always see some repair guy on the pole near my house working away.

COMMENT 763757 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-16 08:17 AM

Is anyone having problems with COX ???? Your kidding right ? COX and the crumbling monopoly it now has is one of the biggest scandals being regularly swept under the rug by the City Council, as they have for years. COX does not deserve an exclusive franchise. Their service in this area has become most likely the worst in the country. The are spending money not on improving services and equipment but rather inventing more so called "new services" and junk gimmicks. When they first started up here years ago they were a decent cable service these many posts here do not even do justice to how far down they have gone!!!

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-16 11:18 AM

Our neighbor was having trouble, got new router, etc. Finally Cox sent a man out. 1st the office called to say he would be a little late, on another job. Then shortly after the cable guy called to say he was on his way. Pretty soon there were 3 cable guys. They solved the problem by replacing the wire coming in from the street, it had be there since the house was built, 30 some years ago. Problem solved. Everyone involved was very polite and efficient.

LUCKY_777 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-16 12:03 PM

Two months ago I thought paying for a higher speed would help with the problem that is Cox, so I upped from "business speed" to "ultra." The bill for my two locations (landline & internet, no TV) (biz & home) was supposed to go from $280 to $340. It went to $500. And there was no appreciable improvement in reception. It took 45 days to get a refund of the increase and I swear now the service was worse than before. So I went back to what I had. Testing reveals I am still getting "business class" speed, but it is pathetic.
Monopoly & greed.

COMMENT 763837 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-16 12:09 PM

yup, me too, slowdown for sure. called cox, they said... wait... ready... nothing is wrong! jeeze louise!

COMMENT 763852 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-16 01:23 PM

We've had fluctuating internet speeds for a while now. Sometimes the speed is even ok but the video still fails. Usually, the problems are with videos on our phones. If I switch to 4G it works just fine.

We tried Verizon a few years ago and it was the worst. I was actually happy to switch back to Cox. But now, I'm trapped. We desperately need another option.

39% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.