Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 48.0°F | Humidity: 99% | Pressure: 30.22in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send items of interest to ed@edhat.com

17874 Subscribers

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Hit & Run Near Washington School Leads to Lockdown
updated: Mar 14, 2017, 7:07 PM

Update by Santa Barbara Police Department
at 4:21 p.m. March 14, 2017

(Photo: John Palminteri / KEYT News)

Today at approximately 0918 hours, Officers from the Santa Barbara Police Department responded to the area of 290 Lighthouse Rd for a report of suspicious subjects running from the condominiums off of Meigs Rd and through the campus of Washington Elementary School. As more calls came in through 911 it was determined there was a vehicle collision within the condominium complex and two males were seen fleeing from the collision scene. One male was reported to have ran toward La Mesa Park while the other ran through the grounds of the school. Due to concerns for the safety of the Students and Faculty the Principal put the school into a “lockdown” until the campus could be determined to be safe. Santa Barbara Police Officers arrived and began a search of the school grounds to confirm there was no threat to Students and Faculty. It was confirmed the school was safe and Staff was contacted enabling the “lockdown” to be lifted.

The investigation into the original call for service confirmed a vehicle collision did occur at 222 Meigs Rd located just west of the school grounds. The collision occurred when the suspect vehicle ran into one of the condo complex units. It was not known why the vehicle was in the complex, but thankfully only property damage occurred as a result and no one was injured. The scene was secured by Officers. Through further investigation and by the assistance of the Ventura Police Department, it was determined the vehicle was stolen out of Ventura the day prior.

(Photo: John Palminteri / KEYT News)

Officers continued their searched for the two suspects in the surrounding neighborhood. During the search several items of evidence confirmed to belong to the suspects were located along with one male matching the description given of one of the fleeing suspects. This subject was later confirmed to be one of the two occupants of the vehicle and was identified as Nathan Christopher Stevens, 34 of Ventura. Stevens was determined to be under the influence of a controlled substance at the time of contact and was arrested. The second suspect was not located at the time of the call and is believed to have fled the area. The investigation is continuing.

Stevens was booked Santa Barbara County Jail for vehicle theft, prowling, felon in possession of ammunition, possession of stolen property and possession burglary tools. His bail amount was $50,000.

(Photo: John Palminteri / KEYT News)

Reported by Roger the Scanner Guy
9:34 a.m., March 14, 2017

Washington Elementary school was placed on lock down this morning after three men were seen running through the campus.

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-14 09:37 AM

3 HMA's one with tattoo's on his head were seen on the school grounds and ran toward the wooden area of La Mesa Park they maybe associated with a silver Jetta parked near by...Washington school is at 290 Lighthouse on the Mesa.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-14 09:40 AM

They were running from nearby condos thru the Schools Property...

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-14 09:45 AM

SBPD is on scene to search the school and make sure no more suspicious subjects are in the area.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-14 10:06 AM

Backpack dropped CSI responding, one suspect was possibly carrying a back pack..

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-14 10:34 AM

Not really sure what they were doing and hard to tell between other calls but I think they found one but I could be mistaken. They are checking on a vehicle found nearby possibly associated with them. Anything else should be covered by the Professionals....:)

COMMENT 763362 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-14 10:42 AM

Maybe these guys that robbed my mother's house yesterday on the mesa right about this time of the day....

COMMENT 763363P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-14 10:50 AM

Good. Now maybe those ugly taggings on the wood fence at Mesa Park and across the street on the green screen "fencing" will be cleaned up. Drive north on Shoreline Drive and see the taggings. Really ugly.

Whenever Marborg fencing is tagged, Marborg leaves it up to the fence renters to take care of the problem. Hence, the green plastic fencing next to the Cabrillo Bike Path (used for months and months to screen one giant tractor) remained covered in grafitti the entire time it was up. Shame on our City Council for not rectifying the problem.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-14 11:13 AM

There was a non injury hit and run involved vehicle registered in Ventura vehicle possibly belonged tp one of the runners.

COMMENT 763375 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-14 11:49 AM

NOOOO !
Crazies please stay away from our beautiful Santa Barbara Mesa !
The best place in town to live !

COMMENT 763377 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-14 11:55 AM

Tagging all over Santa Barbara and Goleta complete disrespect ,complete lack of leadership ,stand up take your towns back.Overtime all law breaking becomes tolerated then we are really in trouble

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-14 11:57 AM

@375 Wait I'm crazy maybe I'll move there someday but wait I have no money. There is already Crazies on the Mesa.

COMMENT 763379 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-14 11:58 AM

You think the SBPD tolerates crime? All it takes is a handful of people running around at night tagging to produce the graffiti we are seeing lately. Most of it looks like the work of one person.

Cops can't be everywhere at once...

COMMENT 763381P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-14 12:31 PM

The Mesa is still relatively calm and safe, compared to other "City" neighborhoods. I am calling the Graffiti hotline now about that Mesa Park tagging and the green fence, too.

COMMENT 763384 agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-14 12:42 PM

I am @362----I tried to submit my info to "ed" about my mothers burglary on the Mesa last night...they put it in the classifieds. Please if you know anyone who lives on Vista del mar or Alan Road, and they have surveillance cameras or saw anything suspicious between 9-11:30 am please come forward. My elderly mother has lived in her home for 45 years and has never had anything like this happen. Still not sure why they posted my info in the classifieds as I never go to the classifieds section if I am wanting to find out about what is going on in my community; I go to the "news" section...Otherwise, BOLO if you live on Vista del mar/Alan Road. Her doors/windows were locked. They smashed in the back door window. So sad...

COMMENT 763388P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-14 01:13 PM

Why does the City allow the tagging to remain?

I've always read & heard that if it's removed within 12 to 24 hours it eventually stops because the little tagger weasels like to see their handiwork all the time and don't like the prospect of getting nailed due to the power that be staying vigilant with the cleanup.

Just my 2ยข here.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-14 03:44 PM

I heard the police were still looking for this guy and just detained a subject fitting his description, So hopefully they got him.

COMMENT 763441P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-14 03:53 PM

384. Thank you for persevering and reposting. I consider posts such as yours a community service. I hope your Mother recovers her sense of calm and safety.

Damn home invaders.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-14 06:19 PM

Maybe they were the guys that hit her house@384...

COMMENT 763498P agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-14 07:21 PM

My thoughts exactly RD. I posted it on next door in my neighborhood and in my mother's. What really sucks is that I found out today that my father's St. Christopher necklace that he wore during two tours in Vietnam was also stolen. He has been dead for over 20 years and I had my mother holding it for safekeeping. Unfortunately that's pretty much the only thing I had left of him. Included were Priceless heirlooms from my mother's family as well. We are heartbroken....

74% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 6 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.

Comments on this thread are only open to Community Members.

# # # #