npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 52.2°F | Humidity: 70% | Pressure: 30.06in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 6.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
  login You create the news! Send items of interest to ed@edhat.com
    17875 Subscribers
      547 Paid (3.1%)
     1 Commenters
     2984 Page Views

Buy Edhat Bags
Buy Edhat Bags
Buy Edhat Shirts
Buy Edhat Shirts
Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat
Buy Edhat Hats
Buy Edhat Hats
News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Vehicle Double Parked In Street
updated: Jul 16, 2014, 9:30 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

There is a person on my block in Goleta who has decided to double park in the street. What should I do?

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

 COMMENT 536202P agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-16 09:39 PM

Parked in the street next to the parking lane and other cars? Car turned off, no one in it?
Call the police and ask them to ticket/tow the car. What are your alternatives? What were you considering? (honest question) Or just ignore it, honestly. I've not towed cars in my lot because I had ingress/egress/access and it was too much hassle.
If the car IS parked in a traffic lane, I would feel a duty of safety to report it.


 COMMENT 536205P agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-16 10:10 PM

I live in goletabhave callednumerous Times about a truck parked for years on our street never driven just moved fron one side of street .wevreported to hi way patrol no response .


 COMMENT 536206P agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-16 10:19 PM

Condolences from someone who has had neighbors problems. Take pictures that truly depicts the problem and wait. That was the sage advice from the PD when we called them. The big problem came to a head when the fire engine couldn't get through, but they ran out and moved the car for the engine to get by. Some time you are the windshield, some times you are the bug. I can guarantee that if I screwed up the courage to even try it for a few minutes, that would be the day they finally decided to ticket and tow offending cars.


 COMMENT 536213P agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-16 10:33 PM

Not sure about Goleta, but here is the City # to call... parking enforcement. They can give you the Goleta # to call... 805.897.3726


 COMMENT 536222P agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-16 11:56 PM

ask him to move


 COMMENT 536248 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 08:08 AM

Before you contact parking enforcement, tell us if the person double parking in your neighborhood is driving a fire truck, an ambulance, or a police car.


 COMMENT 536258 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 08:30 AM

Man, when did people get so snarky?


 COMMENT 536261 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 08:46 AM

Do you mean how can you do something about this problem without having the neighbor retaliate against you? The best way is to actually talk to the neighbor and tell him/her that you are worried that they might get a ticket for parking illegally to put them on notice that their actions are noticed. But once you talk, they will know that you are the one most likely to call the parking people on them.

In SB the calls to parking enforcement don't ask for your name, maybe Goleta is the same way. Or perhaps asking a cop if they could cruise down your street to see if everything is okay without giving your name would also work.


 COMMENT 536267 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 09:19 AM

What do you mean by "double park"? It might be helpful to get a better description of the events in question.

Is it parallel parked next to another car parallel parked, blocking it in and obstructing a lane of traffic? Is it a short lived event or a long one (ie. picking up and dropping off someone or waiting to do so) or a long event consisting of hours if not overnight? Or is it taking place off street and on private property and thus not affecting lanes of traffic?

More information is needed, please.


 COMMENT 536268 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 09:20 AM

If the issue doesn't rise to the level of concern wherein you're willing to give your name and "own" the concern and the subsequent report, just skip the whole thing.


 COMMENT 536271P agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 09:27 AM

If it's not affecting you (ie, blocking your driveway etc), I'd say let it go. You most likely have to be neighbors with these people for quite a while. It's not worth jeopardizing a civil relationship with those around you.


 COMMENT 536278 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 09:49 AM

I have a neighbor who has no water service, yet tinkers with the meter, leaving the lid off, parks oily cars on the sidewalk in front of my house, yet when I call and let him know that feral cats are getting under his house; he calls the cops on me for calling him a bastard when he shows up to the dilapidated mobile home, complete with tweeker squatters and ignores me when I say a friendly, clear as a bell, HELLO!


 COMMENT 536279 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 09:52 AM

278, if your post was from someone else, would you want them as a neighbor?


 COMMENT 536280P agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 09:53 AM

Please explain the problem more clearly.


 COMMENT 536291 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 10:14 AM

What's the conundrum, double parked means double parked and that's illegal, just call parking enforcement and let them take care of it. No names asked so you shouldn't worry about talking to anyone. The person doing it knows what they're doing (probably to ridiculously save themselves parking/turning time not considering anyone else but themselves) and should expect that parking enforcement officers patrol at any time and will find offenders to keep everyone safe and obeying the laws of the streets/roads. That's the risk they take, don't stress it, just call on them and go on with your life. jmho!


 COMMENT 536297 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 10:26 AM

Our neighbor has an illegal rental on his property. It was built as a garage, but never used for that purpose. It is huge !! He/tenants park in front of homes on our street on a daily basis..Many cars! One of the residents,who is most affected by the parking , wants to report the illegal dwelling to the city. She was told that her name would be given as the one making the complaint. Anyone ever experienced this situation? Guy with garage rental is beyond arrogant and condescending. I'm guessing he's not above retaliation.


 COMMENT 536299 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 10:28 AM

1) Post a picture or two because there is not enough information in your original post.

2) Is there a sign on your street that says it is illegal to double-park?

3) Do some research on residential parking laws that address your issue, then re-post what you learned ALONG with pictures.


 COMMENT 536306P agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 10:56 AM

297: The city (if that's Santa Barbara) does not pay any attention or very limited attention to anonymous complaints. If it did so, it would be endless and require a huge amount of time. ...I wouldn't want to live in such a place that welcomed anonymous complainers.

If one cares enough, is sufficiently bothered, then one has to be brave enough to give one's name. If there's retaliation (and one had better be squeaky clean oneself) then that's what the legal system is for....


 COMMENT 536337 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 12:01 PM

Well I called it as I saw it, after I talked to the wife for several minutes, believing her friendly tone, all off a sudden her husband gets on the line and says I am harassing them about the water meter, and this call is being recorded. I reminded him that we share the meter box, and he pretty much had a cow. He called the property manager/owner and chewed them out for giving me their number, and when they showed up to their rental, lacking their huevos, I called him " a name," so he called the police. Well I take care of my own problems, I don't involve the police.


 COMMENT 536348 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 12:27 PM

This is one of the strangest posts I have seen on edhat. The question is so vague it is impossible to answer. What is this, a Rorschach test? I just project my own trouble with parking, cars, police, neighbors into the answer.


 COMMENT 536396 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 01:49 PM

The SBSO handles parking enforcement for most of Goleta (the CHP handles IV). Call 681-4100 and report the problem - they will send an officer. You only need to get towed once to understand how street parking works. I have tenants who rent a 4 bedroom from me in Goleta. They have 4 cars. I provide parking for 6 cars and I politely told them they are never to park on the street. That's what the driveway and garage are for.


 COMMENT 536419 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 02:43 PM

"double parking" Is when you park a car in the traffic lane, typically outside of the parking area that is along the curb and most often when there is another car legally parked between the double parker and the curb. That is why the call it "double parking".
If the car is left with the engine running that is a separate violation of the vehicle code. If the driver is in the car at the wheel, that is not parking it is standing or stopping. That is why you will sometimes see warning signs that say NO STOPPING, STANDING OR PARKING. In that case any one of the three are violations of the vehicle code subject to a ticket. If the parked vehicle is in the trafic lane it will be towed and also is violating yet another vehicle code section, obstructing traffic.


 COMMENT 536431P agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 03:16 PM

297. You can report such things without having to give your own name. Just use a lawyer or lawyer friend. That person can call and file a complaint on your behalf, without giving out your info. That way your name and address are not revealed.


 COMMENT 536433P agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 03:24 PM

OP: Call Parking Enforcement. That's what they are there for. DO NOT speak with this person who is double parking. Do not.

If you think this person may keep double parking, ask Parking Enforcement (when you leave message) to PLEASE check back, once in a while. Those meter maids/men are pretty good about checking back, if you ask nicely.

Parking Enforcement does not give out your name/address. Call 897-2413. Have make, model, color, license # of scofflaw's vehicle handy. Give exact address where this double parking is occurring. Good luck.

Usually one encounter with Parking Enforcement is enough to cure those who park illegally.


 COMMENT 536450 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 03:55 PM

I've called zoning enforcement before for my elderly neighbor who was afraid of retaliation and they didn't ask for my name or number. They sent someone by and confirmed the report and suddenly the place got cleaned up.


 COMMENT 536499 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-07-17 06:44 PM

Call Parking enforcement-it is their job to enforce the laws related to parking. For zoning, call the zoning dept. it is their job to enforce those laws. Unfortunately, for complete d@&kwads, there is not a department for that.


38% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.


*** 4 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.


Add Your Comments

Edhat Username



Don't have an Account?

Don't know if you have an account?

Don't remember your account info?


ENJOY HAPPY HOUR! ... Between 4:00pm & 5:00pm only happy comment are allowed on the Edhat Comments Board.

If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.

Hide Your Handle, but show paid status (paid subscribers only)
NEW - use verified name and picture (contact ed@edhat.com to be verified)
Find out About Becoming A Paid Subscriber
NOTE: We are testing a new Comment Preview Page. You must hit OK on the next page to have your comment go live. Send Feedback to ed@edhat.com.

get a handle   |  lost handle




  See more articles like this

# # # #


Send To a Friend
Your Email
Friend's Email

Top of Page | Old News Archives | Printer-Friendly Page

  Home Subscribe FAQ Jobs Contact copyright © 2003-2015  
Edhat, Inc.