Weekly PSA - Garage Fire Prevention
updated: Jun 05, 2014, 4:08 PM
Source: SBC Fire
Garage fires tend to spread farther and cause more injuries and dollar loss than fires that start in other areas of the home. The leading cause of garage fires is electrical malfunction. This can be due to damaged wires, shorts in wires, and overloading electrical outlets.
To help increase awareness about dangerous home garage fires, the Santa Barbara County Fire Department offers a few easy safety tips to follow:
• Store oil, gasoline, paints, propane and varnishes in a shed away from your home
• Keep items that can burn on shelves away from appliances
• Plug only one charging appliance into an outlet
• Don't use an extension cord when charging an appliance
• Install a self-closing fire-rated door from the garage into the house
• Install fire-rated gypsum board between living space and the garage
• Install an attic hatch cover if you have attic access from the garage
For more information please visit www.usfa.fema.gov .
1 comment on this article. Read/Add
# # # #